PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Deputy Shot in Head Makes Miraculous Recovery

10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.local10.com/news/14423868/detail.html

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. -- The Broward County Sheriff's deputy shot in the head during a traffic stop more than three months ago greeted reporters Thursday wearing his uniform in his first public appearance since being shot in the head Aug. 6.

Maury Hernandez walked into the room with the help of a physical therapist and was greeted by applause and some tears from the hospital workers and sheriff's office employees who gathered to greet him. Hernandez had a visible scar on the right side of his head and his left arm was supported by a white sling. Despite his physical limitations, Hernandez spoke clearly and confidently in both English and Spanish, an example of why doctors are calling his recovery "miraculous."

"I would like to go back to my job as soon as possible," said HernandThe five-year veteran was shot after pulling over a motorcyclist during a routine traffic stop on Pembroke Road in Pembroke Pines. The accused gunman, David Maldonado, remains in custody awaiting trial. He is charged with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer.

On Aug. 6, Hernandez arrived at Memorial Regional Hospital already in a coma. At the time, his condition was being called "grave." Privately, Local 10 was being told that he probably wouldn't make it.

"When he arrived at the hospital he had what we usually consider a lethal injury," said Dr. Eddy Carrillo, director of trauma and critical care at Memorial Regional Hospital.

Doctors credit Hernandez's remarkable recovery to his "will to live" and hard work in rehabilitation, but Hernandez believes the love of his family and friends, prayers and wishes of good will from complete strangers also played a major role. "I'm humbled by the fact that people I don't even know have been worried about me," said Hernandez.

On Thursday, Hernandez was accompanied by his parents, Rosa and Mauricio Hernandez, and his younger brother, Josue, who is a police officer in Hallandale Beach, Local 10's Roger Lohse reported.

Broward Interim Sheriff Al Lamberti was also in attendance and called Hernandez a hero.

"He was doing his job when he made a decision that he felt was going to help keep the people of Broward County safe," said Lamberti.

Hernandez doesn't consider himself a hero, but he does hope his story of survival will be an inspiration for others.

"Not just deputies, but people in accidents, people who have strokes. I hope this gives them encouragement that with hard work, they can get better," said Hernandez.

The deputy is expected to be released from the hospital Friday, but he still must undergo months, if not years, of rehabilitation. Doctors expect Hernandez to be able to eventually return to his daily routine, but they can't say how long that will take because they said he's already exceeded expectations, Lohse reported.

"We never thought this would happen" said neurosurgeon Dr. Luis Rodriquez.

The bullet struck him in the back right side of his head, shattering his skull and damaging his brain. Fragments of the bullet remain in Hernandez's head, but doctors said it would be more damaging to remove them.
ez

Rotten Herman
10-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Nice to hear some good news for a change[. I saw that officer on the news and he was doing very well. There wasn't much hope for him when this first happened.