PDA

View Full Version : [color=red]MCT IM's[/color]

10-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Has anyone else wondered why we are equipped with a very nice MCT, but unable to access several of it’s functions. My main gripe and concern is the IM (instant messenger) being turned off. Why in the world would you deactivate a function that would allow your deputies to communicate and interact in several different situations. One of these being our comm center goes down. That’s never happened before? The other situation would be when we are attempting to make contact with known criminals, and or when our approach could be compromised by scanners. I can recall three residences where I have been in the last two weeks where I have over heard the echo of my voice being repeated over the scanner.

I have heard this feature was disabled due to deputies possibly abusing or writing things that would be inappropriate. I can only say in defense we are intrusted to carry firearms on a daily basis. We are intrusted to take the highest held right from a person, freedom. We are intrusted to do these things and many others. However we are not trusted to send an IM to a zone partner. Our admin has such great trust in us.

I have also been told there is not enough band width on our system to allow the IM to be used. I have been told by the IT department that is nothing but a lie. I have personally set next to a Polk County Deputy who finished a report, IM several people, and listening to internet music. Not only was he doing this, but he was doing this all at the same time. If this can all be done in Polk County then why not Highlands County. I guess they trust their deputies.

In short we are capable and responsible adults (I think) we are able to police ourselves. We have all signed agreements and are aware of the consequences if we violate them. So please in the name of safety and trust please allow us to use a function that most agencies are and have been using.
:roll:

10-24-2007, 05:33 PM
I totally agree with you on this. Officer safety is a must and when confronting some of the criminals who prepare themselves not to be taken in (arrested) we need every advantage possible.

Maybe the administration feels it's not necessary to have this feature because of the "quality" Nextel....wrong. So many times the Nextel does not work...unbelieveable for what we pay for the service.

But yes, to have the full use of MCT would be great. Access to the net would be great as well...punish the ones that abuse the system...not everyone. This has long been the mentality of the administration...punish everyone for one's mistake.

10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree, "they" should not have disabled the feature... Those laptops COULD be great, but just aren't.