PDA

View Full Version : New Leather Gear? Good or Bad?

10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Just wanted to know what the body thought about wearing leather as appose to nylon....R we going to have a chance to vote before it is implemented and passed as law on Oct 08

10-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Studies have shown that leather cause what is known as micro trauma to the lower back. The lighter more flexible web gear is more customer friendly. In my opinion the money it is going to cost to replace one for the other isn't worth it.
Before you inquire about a vote check with your union reps because they may have already had a closed door vote or pow wow with the bosses.

10-22-2007, 05:04 AM
What I've heard was that the Asst. Chief liked it because it looked traditional. Could be rumor, who knows. I feel that it looks cheap. We should stay with nylon.

10-22-2007, 05:04 AM
What I've heard was that the Asst. Chief liked it because it looked traditional. Could be rumor, who knows. I feel that it looks cheap. We should stay with nylon.

10-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Where have you been it was signed into policy months ago...no vote. If you have proof of this lower back trauma get it to the chief ASAP. There is alot of people like us that do not want to shell out $$$$ to switch. Oh did you forget to read that part of the policy we have to buy it too.

10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Noone will have to buy anything. That'll be a union issue. They changed the policy therefore the cost lies on them.

10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Noone will have to buy anything. That'll be a union issue. They changed the policy therefore the cost lies on them.
Actually they didnt change the policy, leather has been there for years. The only change is you can no longer use or wear nylon as an optional uniform item.

06-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Wanted to bring an old one back to the top.

That new leather (Pleather gear) is ugly. Who picked that crap?

06-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Wanted to bring an old one back to the top.

That new leather (Pleather gear) is ugly. Who picked that crap?

It is ugly and hard to wear an entire shift. This is why people complain about wasting money. The nylon was fine and much easier to wear for 12 hours. Guess if you work at a desk and can take it off most of the day its not bad to wear?????

06-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah. Admin is always walking around with a holster only and a radio clipped to the pants. Buy the leather for us to wear with the class A's thats fine. But patrol should wear Nylon. Much more comfortable. Comon brass. Help us out. We are the ones busitn our asses out here. Keep the nylon but I have no problem with the leather for class A events.

06-15-2008, 01:55 AM
:roll: Hey Keith AKA Ass. Chief Revolvers are traditional why not make that mandatory? There is a reason new things are being used by LEO's world wide, they are better! Why take a step backwards and make us wear something that was fazed out years ago. You are out of here soon enough why make backaches and fake leather your legacy when you retire. :idea:

06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
will SSU have to wear leather too, or can they stick to nylon. if you so i hope i really get it. plus, then ill be able to wear my bdu's to court.

06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
will SSU have to wear leather too, or can they stick to nylon. if you so i hope i really get it. plus, then ill be able to wear my bdu's to court.Don't forget your thigh holster, gunlight, tacvest, and all the other cool things they get to do like catch criminals and robbers. And you can even drive an unmarked car around and work with the best ofc's in the dept. :D

06-19-2008, 10:08 PM
will SSU have to wear leather too, or can they stick to nylon. if you so i hope i really get it. plus, then ill be able to wear my bdu's to court.Don't forget your thigh holster, gunlight, tacvest, and all the other cool things they get to do like catch criminals and robbers. And you can even drive an unmarked car around and work with the best ofc's in the dept. :D

I had to buy my light, again road toads get the shaft! I guess you did forget where you came from. If they think lights are so important for SS then why are we road toads always left paying for our safety gear?

06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
does anyone know if we are going to get together and place one mass order for this gear. if we buy in bulk it will be a lot cheaper. i went to pines police supply, and they are giving a big discount too, fyi in case we dont all get together on buying this crap. it comes out to 240. i dont know about you, but 240 goes a long way in my household. i guess i wont be buying lil timmys insulin medicine. but hey, ill have some fake ass leather to wear, woo hoo.

06-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Stay with nylon. Use Leather for Class A dress uniform and use nylon for regular duty. It is easy stay with what we already have. It is 2008 not 1978 where all there was, was leather.

06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
When I started all we could carry was a 38 revolver and two speedloaders. Nylon wasnt even around back then. We progressed to what we can carry now. Going back to leather would be like going back to revolvers. Leather looks good with the class "A" and thats about it.

06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Lets call the ASPCA, PETA and anyone else who would be upset that we are helping the "animal killings" to supplement our Assistant Chiefs legacy! And as far as the pleather lets help out OPEC with buying items made with an oil based product....I did my homework! Leave well enough alone, nylon is cheaper and everyone has it already.

08-07-2008, 11:28 PM
If we have to buy it, can anyone advise which brand they recommend and where can I go to buy it?

08-08-2008, 01:23 AM
we probably wont have to buy it. our union reps are fighting for the administration to buy it for us.