PDA

View Full Version : PCSO TAKING OVER LPD

10-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I am hearing rumors about PCSO taking over LPD. This would be bad for the employees of both departments. Folks, take your hands outta your crotch and think about it for a minute.

The reason that PCSO gets the raises they do is to keep up with LPD. If it weren't for the competition between agencies they would never get a raise. It's the same in Hillsborough County. Tampa PD gets raises and HCSO gets raises to keep pace. The competition between all the pd's in the area keeps the salaries higher. Look at Orange County SO and OPD.

Some deputies haven’t figured this out. Sure they would get an initial raise. Then we would be one happy bloated family. Making no money. What recourse would you have? We would be the highest paid agency in the county. Anyone wanting a raise would have to move to Hillsborough or Orange County agencies. Dumb.

If we were all one metro agency what incentive would there be to give raises?! Because we do a good job?! Right! They will pat you on the back and give you 2% for the rest of your career. If you believe we would get raises from the commissioners (city or county) out of the goodness of their hearts, turn in your badge and gun and Baker Act yourself.

Sherriff Departments can't have unions. I hear a lot of crying by LPD on this board. Sure we have problems but PCSO has more politics. Deputies are afraid to say anything against Grady for fear of losing their jobs. The sheriff can replace you without cause and with no recourse.

Have you forgotten the elections so quickly? How many employees who campaign against the sheriff get transferred, demoted or “resign” after the elections?! PCSO is a fine department, but it is no utopia either.

Let’s quit whining and work to change the retirement. It takes time and won’t happen overnight. Don’t cut your head off to spite your nose by threatening to go to the SO. Unless you don’t like money and benefits for both departments.

10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
To the above post, you are so right, look what Grady did to the people that did not support him !! ex Judicial process !!

10-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I am hearing rumors about PCSO taking over LPD. This would be bad for the employees of both departments. Folks, take your hands outta your crotch and think about it for a minute.

The reason that PCSO gets the raises they do is to keep up with LPD. If it weren't for the competition between agencies they would never get a raise. It's the same in Hillsborough County. Tampa PD gets raises and HCSO gets raises to keep pace. The competition between all the pd's in the area keeps the salaries higher. Look at Orange County SO and OPD.

Some deputies haven’t figured this out. Sure they would get an initial raise. Then we would be one happy bloated family. Making no money. What recourse would you have? We would be the highest paid agency in the county. Anyone wanting a raise would have to move to Hillsborough or Orange County agencies. Dumb.

If we were all one metro agency what incentive would there be to give raises?! Because we do a good job?! Right! They will pat you on the back and give you 2% for the rest of your career. If you believe we would get raises from the commissioners (city or county) out of the goodness of their hearts, turn in your badge and gun and Baker Act yourself.

Sherriff Departments can't have unions. I hear a lot of crying by LPD on this board. Sure we have problems but PCSO has more politics. Deputies are afraid to say anything against Grady for fear of losing their jobs. The sheriff can replace you without cause and with no recourse.

Have you forgotten the elections so quickly? How many employees who campaign against the sheriff get transferred, demoted or “resign” after the elections?! PCSO is a fine department, but it is no utopia either.

Let’s quit whining and work to change the retirement. It takes time and won’t happen overnight. Don’t cut your head off to spite your nose by threatening to go to the SO. Unless you don’t like money and benefits for both departments.

1) won't ever happen because the city commission has no control over the sheriff.

2) Sheriff's Office can be union, that law changed several years ago and HCSO is now at impasse on their 2nd contract.

10-21-2007, 09:26 AM
PCSO doesn't want LPD ... that's rediculous! Hell, the city needs to annex MORE, more into the city! :)

10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
To the above post, don't be too sure !!!

10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
WOW I have sat here and read alot of the blogs and I am to say the least sorry that LPD is going down hill. I worked there years ago and it was "THE" place to work, everyone's goal was to go to LPD. Guess by reading all this things have changed drastically! Back when I was there Roger was a Capt and I had always been told, beware, nice guy but a snake :roll: PCSO was one of the least places to go and now look, LPD is losing good people, their going to PCSO. Hope things turn around for you guys soon and the moral goes up. Stay Safe