PDA

View Full Version : To the LEB major

10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
"Questioning Leadership" is a double entendre--a phrase with more than one meaning. When you first read "questioning leadership," did you think of subordinates questioning their leaders? Whether that's a good thing, and in what context, is a subject for another article. The meaning for this article is leading with questions.

For the Truly Brave

Asking questions takes courage. First, questions are proof you don't know everything. Admitting this can be scary. But questions are good things because they get you answers. And answers can be very handy. This leads to another reason questions can be frightening. You may not like the answers you get. Trust me--the answer you know is less dangerous than the answer you don't know.

The right questions, asked the right way, can get quick results and long-term success. They can produce participation and teamwork, spark outside-the-box thinking, empower officers and staff, build relations with the community, solve problems, and more.

The Power of Questioning Leadership

Would you like to:

* Retain your officers and staff?
* Be the most prepared department in the country?
* Promote your people at 2 ½ times the national average?
* Reduce disciplinary actions by over 80%?
* Reduce medical limited duty assignments by over 90%
* All while operating under budget?

Commander D. Michael Abrashoff did this and more in less than 20 months with one of the most modern warships of the U.S. Navy. How? By continually asking questions, listening, and then acting on what he heard. He began his command of the USS Benfold with individual interviews with each of his 300 staff during which he asked:

* What do you like best about this ship?
* What do you like least?
* What would you change if you could?

Then he acted quickly on the ideas that came from these questions . If he didn't get the results he expected, he asked himself three questions:

* Did I clearly articulate the goal I was trying to achieve?
* Did I give people the time and resources they needed to succeed?
* Did I give them enough training to get the job done properly?

More often than not, Abrashoff concluded he was part of the problem and took corrective action.

The Commander also questioned every rule. When an officer or sailor asked for his approval or signature on something, he asked, "Why do we do it this way? If the answer was "Because it's always been done this way," he'd ask them if there was a better way. Before long, when his people came to him, they had thought through and would explain up front why they did things that way, or, they'd say, "We've thought of a better way to get this accomplished." [Marquardt, 2005, citing Abrashoff, 2002]

What were the results of Abrashoff's questioning leadership? Under his 20-month command:

* The ship operated at 75% of its budget, returning $1.4 million to the nation's treasury.
* Only 54% of sailors re-enlist after their 2nd duty tour. 100% of the Benfold's career sailors re-upped. This retention saved the Navy an estimated $1.6 million.
* The ship's combat readiness indicators were the highest in the history of the Pacific Fleet.
* His people were promoted at 2 ½ times the Navy average.
* The Benfold crew completed the normal 52-day predeployment training cycle in 19 days.
* During a one-year period under the previous command, there were 28 disciplinary actions for which 23 sailors were discharged. During Abrashoff's 20-month tenure, there were five such cases and no discharges.
* Under his predecessor, 31 people were detached from the ship for limited duty, mostly with complaints of bad backs. Only two crew members left Abrashoff's command for health reasons [*******, 2004].

Questions get police leaders the information they need to empower recruits, officers and staff and turn their department into a high achieving organization. Questions create "buy in." They get people to persuade themselves. People believe what they say, not what you say.

Questioning Community

First Lady Barbara Bush provides a powerful example of how a law enforcement leader could use questions in the community. When President Bush, Sr. was running for office, Mrs. Bush had to choose an issue to promote. She picked literacy. The campaign announced it, but neglected to mention that she knew very little about the subject. At a campaign stop, Mrs. Bush's hostess said, "We're so excited about your visit. We've gathered some forty-five literacy experts. They can't wait to hear what you have to say."

After a brief introduction, Mrs. Bush asked the gathering, "If you were married to the President and you had the opportunity to really make a dent in illiteracy, what one thing would you do? How would you do it?" The First Lady knew from experience that people would rather hear themselves talk. She learned, when in doubt, keep quiet, listen, and let others talk. They'll be happy and you might learn something [Leeds, 2000].

Want to know what to say to a community group, school, business, service organization, or the media? Want what you say to begin building bridges, trust, and connections and solve problems. Ask them,

"If you were me, and you had the chance to really make a difference in crime/our drug problem/gangs/child abuse/graffiti/underage drinking, etc., what would you do? How would you do it?"

Other questions for then or later might include:

* How would you describe the current reality?
* What should our goals be?
* What are the pros and cons of that approach?
* Are there other options?
* Who would need to be involved?
* What would be their roles?
* What resources are available?
* Are there resources we haven't thought of?
* What can we expect to happen if we do that?
* What can we expect to happen if we do nothing?

Not Every Question is Created Equal

To empower yourself and others, you must ask the right questions in the right way. Otherwise, questions can be forcefully disempowering. Compare the effect of the following questions:

* Didn't you finish that assignment? vs. What problems did you have finishing that assignment?
* I've told you that before, haven't I? vs. What could I have done differently to help you understand the situation?
* Why don't people want to work anymore? vs. Why don't people want to work here?
* How do I lead if people don't want to follow? vs. Why don't people want to follow how I lead?
* Why didn't you tell me? vs. What could I have done to have you come to me earlier?
* Can I help you? vs. How can I help you?
* Why me? vs. What is the lesson here for me?

How you ask a question can be as important as what you ask. The most common problem with any question is the spirit in which it's asked. Pay attention to your tone. You'll get immediate feedback--the nonverbal reaction of the person you're asking--that will help you monitor yourself so you can ask questions in a positive, non-judgmental way. Your body language and tone of voice is what convinces people and gets them to open up. People can tell when you're really not interested. Show interest with eye contact and by leaning in towards. Keep your limbs open and relaxed. Keep your voice sincere.

Be Prepared

If this is new leadership behavior on your part, people may be skeptical or puzzled. They may fear the consequences of an honest answer. Be patient. Wait and people will almost always answer

Asking questions and listening takes time. It's much more efficient to give orders. But that doesn't inspire or bring out the best in people. It doesn't empower them to achieve their highest potential. Don't ask questions unless you're willing to commit the time.

Be prepared for answers you don't want to hear. You must not get defensive, hostile or arrogant. Your job is to truly listen and thank the person for their view [Clarke-Epstein, 2002].

Help Others Become Questioning Leaders

"Questions differentiate a superior doctor from an average one, in that an average doctor will ask a question and not listen to the answer. A superior doctor will ask questions and listen to the answers. An exceptional doctor will create an environment where the patient asks their own questions and answers them.
--[Leeds (2000) quoting John Strauss, MD, p. 162]

The same can be said of leaders. Be a questioning leader. Help take law enforcement into a brave, new world. If you've used questions in your leadership, write me. If I get enough responses, I'll share them here in another article.

http://www.officer.com/online/article.j ... 6&id=38345 (http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=16&id=38345)

10-24-2007, 03:12 AM
I think he is to far gone and set in his ways. Mark has lost his touch when he came of off the road. I personally think he means well in his decisions, but they are not implemented very well. We will finally be free of him when the new Sheriff takes office. Thank God for small miracles

10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I think he is to far gone and set in his ways. Mark has lost his touch when he came of off the road. I personally think he means well in his decisions, but they are not implemented very well. We will finally be free of him when the new Sheriff takes office. Thank God for small miracles

Lets go back to the "good ole boy" days with Howie "the horrible" when this agency was 50 years behind every agency. The major is old school and brought professionalism to HCSO. The people who don't like him are the lazy, useless deputies who have no clue of what a cop is. If the major was given the chance to lead this agency, HCSO would be the best in Florida. Mark is a cops cop, who has walked the walk and is a true Professional.

10-24-2007, 11:05 PM
The only person the Major is for is himself. If you think he is that good your out of your mind.

10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Are you for real? If the person you are talking about had the chance to run HCSO there would be a mass exit! You are probably one of the fence jumpers, and sorry we are not in Palm Beach County. I know someone from that held a high position when he was hired and they say he has a chip on his shoulder for anyone who does not follow and he was proven true to his word!If this person leads by example I am glad that I don't follow as I would never be able to sleep at night if I followed what this person does or is doing and has done in the pass. I would hope that someone in this persons position would be more open, honest and caring to his fellow employees instead of making them feel like they are second class. I guess you are trying to say this person is the one that is running the Sheriff's office, well you are close as this person is one of the MAJOR reasons most of the Veteran Officers have left as this person wants no one smarter than them! Look around you how many officer's that have left in the last 3 years how many new faces do you see on the road with experience? I rest my case! When does someone in the ranks see what is going on as if anyone complains they pay. An annonymous complaint box directly to the Sheriff's private office might help but I am sure someone would be watching 24/7 to see who is doing what! The original post says it all.

10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Yada yada yada... It is so funny to read most of these messages. Nothing but complaints after complaints. If "your" so dam miserable, jump ship. Every agency in Florida is hiring.... Go, leave, free us of your taint.

10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Somthing must be up. Several of the higher ups are checking out new work at the State and Federal levels. You think they see what is about to take place? :D

10-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Yet another one speaks without knowing the story.

Actually, not every agency in the state is hiring. Remember those budget cuts that will (sooner or later) affect everyone?????? Many are on a freeze, and/or cutting positions.

Take your 3k bump and smile. Be safe.

10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
The veterans as you call them are all left overs from the past sheriff, who was useless and only cared about himself and his good old boys. The veterans (yes the good ole boys) that are leaving don't like the fact that the Major has more experience and knowledge that all those "veterans" put together. The complaints and whining you all do makes you sound like 3rd graders. If you hate it that bad, and you are treated so bad go somewhere else, but we all don't feel the way you feel and want this to be a professional organization, and that starts at the top. The major is professional, knowledgable and I will work for him anyday of the week.

10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Yet another one speaks without knowing the story.

Actually, not every agency in the state is hiring. Remember those budget cuts that will (sooner or later) affect everyone?????? Many are on a freeze, and/or cutting positions.

Take your 3k bump and smile. Be safe.

Knowing what story ? What story is there to know what its comes to complaining about management ? If ya dont like working somewhere, LEAVE. Its not that hard to do. Anyone worth having, and maybe you are, will easily get hired at another agency.

And yes, the 3k bump was nice and I do smile.

10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes, "Guesty"

You made the wide generalization
"Every agency in Florida is hiring.... Go, leave, free us of your taint."

How witty. If you believe that to be true, as you typed in your post, you are INCORRECT.

Again, for those with reading comprehension issues, it was originally written "Actually, not every agency in the state is hiring. Remember those budget cuts that will (sooner or later) affect everyone?????? Many are on a freeze, and/or cutting positions." That's the point, cause you clearly did not get it the first time.

No matter how qualified, if someone wants a position that is frozen or under review of being cut, then.....well, they're stuck.

02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Mark Schrader a cops cop? You have got to be one of the dumbest people on this board. No offence, but get real! Mark has no idea what the word "COP" means. I speak for alot of brothers out there and when I say Mark Schrader is an idiot with no chance in hell ever becoming Sheriff of Highlands Co. So go back to bed Mark and stop dreaming. Cops cop! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Mark Schrader a cops cop? You have got to be one of the dumbest people on this board. No offence, but get real! Mark has no idea what the word "COP" means. I speak for alot of brothers out there and when I say Mark Schrader is an idiot with no chance in hell ever becoming Sheriff of Highlands Co. So go back to bed Mark and stop dreaming. Cops cop! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The major just wants professionalism and yes he knows what a cop is and how a cop is supposed to act. Its time for people like you to look in the mirror everyday. There was never any accountability at the S.O. while the old Sheriff was here, and when Sheriff Benton took over she put the most knowledgable person (yes the Major) in charge. You can call him an idiot or call the other poster one of the dumbest people on the board, but the Major is a cops cop. The Major has integrity and holds people accountable (something you slugs don't like). Not only would I work for the Major 24/7 I would follow him wherever he went. Real cops have your back Major while the good ole boys will try to stab it.

02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
The major just wants professionalism and yes he knows what a cop is and how a cop is supposed to act. Its time for people like you to look in the mirror everyday. There was never any accountability at the S.O. while the old Sheriff was here, and when Sheriff Benton took over she put the most knowledgable person (yes the Major) in charge. You can call him an idiot or call the other poster one of the dumbest people on the board, but the Major is a cops cop. The Major has integrity and holds people accountable (something you slugs don't like). Not only would I work for the Major 24/7 I would follow him wherever he went. Real cops have your back Major while the good ole boys will try to stab it.

The major is a good manager, but not a leader. In this business you need followers not subordinates. A leader would be able to take care of the small issues (accountability) by having a sit down with the immediate supervisor and employee, and leave the major issues for IAs. If Mark is such a cops cop lets make him a deputy again. He can get a look at how many stupid things he has done. He might remember the days when the entire squad would eat at one place together as a family, and he as the Sgt. would hold the non priority calls without consequences. Do what he did now, and he will recommend you for an IA. Simple he has lost touch.

02-03-2008, 10:38 PM

The major is a good manager, but not a leader. In this business you need followers not subordinates. A leader would be able to take care of the small issues (accountability) by having a sit down with the immediate supervisor and employee, and leave the major issues for IAs. If Mark is such a cops cop lets make him a deputy again. He can get a look at how many stupid things he has done. He might remember the days when the entire squad would eat at one place together as a family, and he as the Sgt. would hold the non priority calls without consequences. Do what he did now, and he will recommend you for an IA. Simple he has lost touch.

I'm really puzzeled by the things said here about the Major. If i was just entering this world, I would think Jesus Christ himself was the Major at the HCSO> And that's based on what was said about following him wherever he goes. There's not a man walking this earth that I would follow wherever he goes. I can only hope that you who will follow the Major or any other man or woman,that they lead you to Heaven and not Hell. Sounds like you're being led to Hell. And that's just my opinion.

02-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Sounds like someone is mad because their boyfriend is away playing G-man. And "SLUGS"? You really hurt my feelings. That is going way to far...LOL..

02-05-2008, 04:56 AM
To all those that think the Major brought professionalism to this department-you are WRONG. It is the people that work here that make it professional. We are in a job where we must count on each other at any given moment. We need to worry about the major things we deal with pn a call, not if we will be in an IA because we had too many people eating together. I mean we keep a deputy employed that was in a FOUNDED IA for sexual harassment while in the academy and screwed up how many times since then, but those of us that do our jobs and want to be respected as people are called slugs. We aren't slugs, we just want the respect for the job we do and yes we do our job. Yes it is public perception, but after the last couple of years of losing officers close to home, I think the public understands why we are eating together. We have too many chiefs and its not getting any better.