PDA

View Full Version : we are the retard town of this county

10-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Article published Oct 15, 2007

STAFF PHOTOS / DANIELLE RAPPAPORT

Jono Miller, a professor at New College, did a study on the growth history of North Port as part of his master's degree work at the University of South Florida. He lays the blame for many of the city's growing pains on its now-defunct developer.

More photos

Garbage sits in front of a home on Ortiz Road in North Port :shock: . Miller writes that "scattered residences and poor road quality" keep the city from improving services such as garbage collection.

North Port grappling with history of poor planning, study says
By PATRICK WHITTLE

NORTH PORT -- Sarasota County's fastest-growing city is a place where low housing prices attract young families, but a lack of employment opportunities encourages them to leave. :shock:

North Port's man-made canals made it possible to build where drainage is a challenge, but the waterways also block emergency routes and make firefighting difficult. And the city has more than 500 miles of roads in need of repair. :shock:

A new study by a local academic traces those problems, and many others, to a lack of foresight by North Port's now-defunct developer, General Development Corp.

Jono Miller, who directs the environmental studies program at New College of Florida, did the study for a graduate program course that required him to write the story of a Florida community.

He found the perfect subject 35 miles south of the New College campus, in North Port, a place where the costs of rapid population growth and outdated urban planning are left on the shoulders of 50,000 residents.

The study, titled "Depressed Roads and Draining Canals," focuses on how developer General Development Corp. saddled the community with inadequate roads and drainage.

Miller's project describes North Port as place where "past mistakes that looked like solutions at the time ... now require increasingly expensive solutions."

Miller says most of the blame falls with the Mackle brothers, General Development Corp.'s owners, not today's city officials.

Steve Crowell, North Port's city manager, said the city "still has impacts from GDC, good and bad."

Miller's project suggests the GDC legacy is mostly bad.

The developer paid $2.5 million in 1954 for 80,000 acres that became North Port and Port Charlotte. North Port became a separate city in 1959.

Miller traces North Port's development back to the Mackle brothers' sale.

His study faults GDC for planning North Port without a town center or downtown :shock: . And while GDC platted hundreds of building lots, the developer did not leave enough room to adequately widen roads.

Today, services such as garbage collection lag behind, but residents and officials routinely oppose "catch-up fees," Miller said.

Miller said GDC's lack of planning is one of the reasons North Port's economy has been almost entirely dependent on single-family home construction. The cool housing market has hit the city hard. North Port issued building permits for 12 new homes in August, the lowest monthly total in five years.

"Most North Port residents weren't alive when the core decisions that affect their quality of life were made," Miller's study states. "It is a vast social experiment with citizens as the subjects."

Miller, 55, has worked at New College for more than 25 years. He is working toward a master's degree in Florida studies at the University of South Florida.

Miller said he became fascinated with the way cities grow during his childhood in 1950s New Jersey, a place where what he calls "post-war suburban 'Leave it to Beaver' sprawl" was all the rage.

Miller said he decided to study North Port's growth because of his belief "that communities have personalities and the personalities may stem from the people people that live there. But they may equally stem from how they are laid out, the environment, the planning."

He added: "Darwin had the Galapagos. North Port seemed like the perfect place to test that premise."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-16-2007, 12:43 AM
He got a D+ on this paper George! You idiot!

10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
AND WHY ALL THE POINTS ARE ON BASE. IS THIS A SUPRISE THAT N PORT IS A JOKE OF A TOWN. I HOPE THIS IS NOT NEW NEWS, IF SO TURN YOUR BADGE IN BUDDY. N PORT IS A ROYAL MESS AND THE ENTIRE COUNTY JUST LAUGH.

10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
He should have gotten a failing grade on his paper, Ortiz isn't even in the city.

10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
See that just shows where these comments come from. We that work for the NPPD know that Ortiz is not in the City, those that don't work here don't know that. It just goes to show where the BS comments really come from.

Old Guy
10-19-2007, 01:55 AM
A lot of the times it's the uneducated a-holes that make comments about police work and law enforcement in which they have no clue about. Go to any Commission meeting and you will see what I'm talking about. Why we (the city) don't require educated commissioners to be elected, I'll never know.

10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
LISTEN OUR TOWN IS SO LAME WE EVEN HAVE RURAL MAIL CARRIERS NOW THATS FUNNY, N PORT IS A JOKE AND WE ALL KNOW IT.

10-19-2007, 11:43 PM
In the begining, North Port and Port Charlotte were one and the same. It was designed to be one (1) city by a contractor in the 1950s. The crazy city limit was drawn and it was seperated into two different jurisidctions, with North Port being in Sarasota County. Should North Port remain 1/2 of a city, as it is now??? Sheesh!!!!!

10-20-2007, 07:11 AM
This City will remain "divided", or, as you put it, 1/2 of a city, until it's citizens finally succomb to the fact that "it is what you make it". If you want a solid foundation, then you must start with the core, the heart, the soul, (if you will). Our heart and soul should and must start at the governmental core. Our Law Enforcement grows out of a corpoate budget through our City Government. Why do I see constant complaints on this message board in regards to how our city "operates"? The title of this message board is LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER AFFAIRS. If you have a grievance with the "city", then why don't you take a stand and DO SOMETHING CONSTUCTIVE to change it? These men and women put their lives on the line on a daily basis, for you and for me. The stress level is horrendous. Not to mention the task of adapting to the many personalities that exist within the entitiy itself. The LEO deserve a hell of a lot more than what they get off this board. The only thing you should be concerned with, is whether or not you are a law abiding citizen. They are the professionals that you and I pay to do a highly trained job (that neither one of us are qualified for). You and I have the responsibility to see that our "elected" officials are doing their job. And furthermore, if you are a former LEO, well then you should be ashamed of yourself turning on your Brothers and Sisters like this! Now shut up and go do the right thing.

10-20-2007, 10:05 AM
WoW! Wasn't that refreshing for a non-LEO to come on here without claiming to be NPPD something and bash us about cracks in the roads, rural mail carriers, road construction, housing construction, et.al! You were a refreshing wake-up today Sweetheart! Thank you!

10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
listen our town has nothing including roads or lights or side walks it has no night clubs limited resturants no entertainment and nothing for young kids to do. this is a half baked town that frankly yes a lot of people just shake there heads.

10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
listen our town has nothing including roads or lights or side walks it has no night clubs limited resturants no entertainment and nothing for young kids to do. this is a half baked town that frankly yes a lot of people just shake there heads.

I for one am glad that we have no night clubs and no where for the juveniles to hang out at night. Those places cause serious problems that our City does not need. North Port is a safe city and night clubs promote drugs and prostitution, shootings, stabbings, fights, homicide, etc. Keep that shit in Port Charlotte.

10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
this is a dead beat town and right not a city, we all know that. nothing to do in north port. we have a lot of homes because the price was right and the biggest bussiness is the county school dept. why well lots of kids and more schools to come. i also think one day our town will not be able to support its self and the county will take it over. its funny driving down u.s. 41 at night nothing is open and its such a tiny town with way too many roadways and no infrostructure, a giant mess and way too much for this place to manage.

10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
You need to go back to school before you start trying to analize this City.

10-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Did you not read previous comments? First of all, this a Law Enforcement Officer's Board. What has undeveloped streets, a lack of night life establishments, too many schools, vacant and undeveloped land got to do with "Law Enforsement?"
As posted earlier: If that bothers you, why don't you get off your complaining a$$ and DO something about it? Attend Commission meets, open some NEW night club YOURSELF! *BE A PART OF YOUR COMMUNITY.*

I feel very confident that our very professional and very qualified Law Enforcement can keep a handle on all of your unfounded fears over juvenile delinquents, drug abusers, not to mention all the complaining, ruthless (aimless, fruitless, etc.) citizens. You complainers are nothing more than a bunch of listless individuals with no direction.

You could even try "VOLUNTEER WORK". You know that feeling...that warm fuzzy feeling of helping others that are less fortunate than yourself?
Being involved with your community helps to build character in both the "giver" and the "reciever." As a matter of fact, it's contagious!
Again, if juveniles at large bother you, well then get "involved" with the young (who by the way...deserve to be just as much a part of this community as you and I!) The young are our FUTURE. They are an investment in this community. If you can't be part of the solution, what gives you the right to judge or evaluate the equation of trouble?

You may even want to consider SUPPORTING our Law Enforcement Officers. They're really wonderful when it comes to helping protect your complaining a$$ or property rights. When you need them, they'll be there in a minute and a half, should you be involved in a traffic accident, they are highly trained to accomodate you, should you experience a burglary, well again, they know EXACTLY what to do...and don't forget to say "Thank You" when they are done helping your complaining a$$.

Now shut up and go do the right thing.

10-27-2007, 03:25 AM
this town is frecking lame and boring north port what? where is that place is it in sarasota county? cant be, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Anon pd guy and stepping stone pd.....it's pretty obvious that both of you are not police officers here. You both are b@tchers and moaners that want everyone that reads this forum to believe that the BOTH of you are REAL LIVE POLICE OFFICERS in North Port no less! Hah! You fooled 2 people...you and the other banana head that wrote the same type of garbage! Can the 2 of you figure it out? Houston....we have a problem!

11-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Any agency that would pull over Deputies in marked patrol cars should be abolished. Real cops wouldnt pull over another cop unless his car were on fire. NPPD's finest would stop a cop for a tag light being out! :roll:

11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Any agency that would pull over Deputies in marked patrol cars should be abolished. Real cops wouldnt pull over another cop unless his car were on fire. NPPD's finest would stop a cop for a tag light being out! :roll:

Where did you get that from? You are an idiot! All you can do is start stupid rumors, get a life!

11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Ask big Al in south county if its BS :roll:

nppdx86
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
that was a long time ago by a fng who was in fto.. crawl back into your hole..

11-03-2007, 11:46 AM
n port is the joke dept of this county and has a bad reputation on doing this , well if your not a real cop and work in this po dunk town what else can you do but this type of thing. :shock:

11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Hes not alone. There have been numerous times where uniformed officers, deputies and jailers have been stopped AND cited. I know of one instance where a uniformed jailer was issued a PARKING ticket while he stood their next to his car. Is a parking cite really that big of a deal that you would issue one to ANYONE in LE?

How about the recent issue with the officer that no one in criminal justice respects, nick at night? He wrote a fr susp cite to a deputies wife while the deputy was in the vehicle with he!

Your agency is sick. With the exception of a few real cops that seem to be immune to the disease, your agency should be quarantined and disbanded.

11-03-2007, 06:36 PM
If a NPPD cop ever tried to pull me over in my marked patrol car he would get my size 12 boot shoved up his a$$!

nppdx86
11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Please do not try and compair me or others to Nick at night. Yea I have also pulled over the un-marked cars, but as soon as i see the rear dash lights i appoligise, bs with them for a bit and 22 the x50. the same goes for p.o.v. x86 peoples. Some of the unmarked cars are hard to tell.. So like I posted in the top, do not try to compair the whole department to nick.. ty.

nppdx86
11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
oh i forgot something... and never a marked... even though i have clocked some at 70 on sumter at sr93