PDA

View Full Version : Confidentiality

10-14-2007, 05:08 PM
What assurances do we have when we post something here that the author is kept confidential? How do we know for example that our boss is not the Mod of this board?

mod 462
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Before Moderating a board there is a verification process that is done by the administrators of LEOAFFAIRS.COM. I think if they allowed a boss to moderate a board it would hinder the free flow of ideas which is ultimately the point of these forums. Currently, I am not in an administrative or supervisory position with the OAG.

The board moderators do not have IP addresses of the posters. So really there is no way anyone could be identified, short of some sort of court order wherein the website administrators would be forced to turn them over. And even if that really happend they would have to have some compelling reasons for that information to be turned over. So far, to my knowledge, this has never occurred.

If this info was so readily accessed I don't think I would post either!
-Mod 462

10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
FYI: You can check with Mod 1 to verify, but it is my understanding that the registration process is to submit:

Username:
E-mail address:
Password:
Confirm password:

All other info submitted by you is optional. This will grant you access to the non-restricted forums. The other forums will require your personal info, but will be deleted by them upon verification. So, even if court ordered, there is no information available for them to provide.

I moderate another Fl. State forum; I don't like to post on other forums, but I thought it might help in this case. Happy posting, and stay safe!

mod 462
10-18-2007, 01:33 AM
FYI: You can check with Mod 1 to verify, but it is my understanding that the registration process is to submit:

Username:
E-mail address:
Password:
Confirm password:

All other info submitted by you is optional. This will grant you access to the non-restricted forums. The other forums will require your personal info, but will be deleted by them upon verification. So, even if court ordered, there is no information available for them to provide.

I moderate another Fl. State forum; I don't like to post on other forums, but I thought it might help in this case. Happy posting, and stay safe!
Thank you for clarifying! Feel free to post whenever you want - you're welcome any time.
Mod 462

MOD 1
10-18-2007, 03:35 AM
What assurances do we have when we post something here that the author is kept confidential? How do we know for example that our boss is not the Mod of this board?

If you post from a work network you can be identified by your employer.

If register a user name, unless you include any identifying information in the user name, email address, or profile, it is the same as posting anonymously.

Previously, Chip, one of the co-founders, selected the moderators. Now, I select the moderators for the Message Boards. I don't want to go into all the details of it, but I will say that I do consider the person's position in the agency when making a decision. I'm not going to put the fox in charge of the hen house.

The way I look at it, the Terms of Use and moderators are here to protect the posters. By enforcing the Terms of Use and deleting posts which might be considered libelous or defamation of character, the moderators are removing the opportunity for lawsuits to be filed seeking the IP addresses of posters.

No board moderators have access to view IP addresses. Only Sysop/Chip, Admin1/Jim, Mod 2 and I have the capability to view IP addresses. Generally the only time we view IP addresses is when a poster is suspected of violating the Terms of Use.

LEO Affairs has never released IP addresses to any one. We have been to court to prevent the release of IP addresses. When the Hillsborough County Sheriff sued John Doe and Jane Doe Deputies for posts on LEO Affairs, he had subpoenas served. LEO Affairs fought these subpoenas and won on the Circuit Court level. The Sheriff appealed and the 2nd DCA upheld the Circuit Court rulings.

Even if someone were to eventually win access to IP addresses, then their would be a court battle with the ISP to release the subscriber's information. If they then got that, then they would have to prove who was actually typing the post(s) into the computer.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mod 1