PDA

View Full Version : Director Hill's initiatives

10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I recently had a chance to speak with the new director in Tally and this is what we discussed. Good things are coming troops....

ABT's previous T&A computer system let an agent could complete the entry for an inspection by clicking a single button. How about streamlining the current multiple screen, kicks-you-out-and-fails-to-save-your-changes, program to dramatically lesson the time ABT agents and supervisors spend accessing information and storing data? Could License Ease 2.0 be created? Shouldn't ABT be trying?

ABT agents previously worked from wireless laptops and home offices, saving budget money. Shouldn't that be restored? What about using donated facilities such as the one Josh Hooper arranged long ago?

ABT agents previously were able to live near the regions where investigations were needed, regardless of the location of a State office building. Should distance from the nearest central office be a deciding factor in where an ABT agent resides, with 35 air miles as an inflexible guide driving policy?

ABT agents previously involved in our trademark plainclothes beverage investigations consumed limited quantities of alcohol. Should we sacrifice investigative efficiency by not acting in our undercover capacity as any reasonable patron would act? Should any policy formats borrowed from other agencies limit ABT effectiveness?

ABT cars have high mileage. More fuel efficient vehicles could result from the benefits of a vehicle lease plan, which would allow only more recent models to be used (older ones would be returned at expiration of lease agreement), and would allow undercover agents to trade out "burned" vehicles. Is vehicle purchase the only option?

ABT could double the clothing allowance, require suits (male) and skirts (female) for special events or funerals, saving funds rather than continuing to fund a dress uniform requirment. Regional honor guard platoons could retain dress uniforms if a uniform presence at special events is deemed necessary.

ABT hiring from Tallahassee central office has failed to produce a dip in the estimated 30% turnover at the agent position. Shouldn't regional hiring be considered?

Wouldn't a 10K raise at the agent level eliminate that 30% turnover? Wouldn't that elimination save much more than 10K per currently vacated position?

ABT training is in need of revamping.

Two Captains in Tally will soon be reassigned.

10-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Have another drink.

10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Director Hill is a very knowledgeable and capable person who will use her abilities to get this agency back on course.

The LicenseSleaze issues are not fixable in the normal sense that things should be "fixable." You have to remember this is not SmartCop or any of the 13 more suitable databases that were available when we got LS. The only real fix would be to start over and we know that isn't going to happen. People would have to admit it doesn't work and someone would have to take responsibility for an $80,000,000 mistake. No chance.

Laptops and home offices? You may see that idea revisited. The data that supported the demise of such things was flawed to say the least.

The vehicle issues center around one thing - money. If the agency had more money, there would be more vehicles. I would stay quiet on this issue. I don't think many people understand that a take home vehicle is not guaranteed. I can't believe we still have them. It is a fight everyday to justify take home cars.

Class A uniforms are a waste of our limited resources and this idea certainly neeeds to be revisited. Marked cars???? No real need for those either.

The turnover rate has nothing to do with where the hiring takes place. I don't think it has much to do with the salary either. The new agent knows what their salary will be when they come in. It's not like they are suprised by it. The real issue seems to be no clear direction. What is the mission of ABT? The last few years remind me of a pinball machine - we are just bouncing around, hoping to hit something that will give us some "points.".

We didn't get to the current state of affairs overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. The reality is there is very little we can do except
support the new administration and let them know you appreciate their efforts.

10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I recently had a chance to speak with the new director in Tally and this is what we discussed. Good things are coming troops....

ABT's previous T&A computer system let an agent could complete the entry for an inspection by clicking a single button. How about streamlining the current multiple screen, kicks-you-out-and-fails-to-save-your-changes, program to dramatically lesson the time ABT agents and supervisors spend accessing information and storing data? Could License Ease 2.0 be created? Shouldn't ABT be trying?

ABT agents previously worked from wireless laptops and home offices, saving budget money. Shouldn't that be restored? What about using donated facilities such as the one Josh Hooper arranged long ago?

ABT agents previously were able to live near the regions where investigations were needed, regardless of the location of a State office building. Should distance from the nearest central office be a deciding factor in where an ABT agent resides, with 35 air miles as an inflexible guide driving policy?

ABT agents previously involved in our trademark plainclothes beverage investigations consumed limited quantities of alcohol. Should we sacrifice investigative efficiency by not acting in our undercover capacity as any reasonable patron would act? Should any policy formats borrowed from other agencies limit ABT effectiveness?

ABT cars have high mileage. More fuel efficient vehicles could result from the benefits of a vehicle lease plan, which would allow only more recent models to be used (older ones would be returned at expiration of lease agreement), and would allow undercover agents to trade out "burned" vehicles. Is vehicle purchase the only option?

ABT could double the clothing allowance, require suits (male) and skirts (female) for special events or funerals, saving funds rather than continuing to fund a dress uniform requirment. Regional honor guard platoons could retain dress uniforms if a uniform presence at special events is deemed necessary.

ABT hiring from Tallahassee central office has failed to produce a dip in the estimated 30% turnover at the agent position. Shouldn't regional hiring be considered?

Wouldn't a 10K raise at the agent level eliminate that 30% turnover? Wouldn't that elimination save much more than 10K per currently vacated position?

I would hope she is smart enough not to allow her agents to be consuming “limited amounts” of alcohol while out on duty and then allowing them to drive, a state owned vehicle at that. That would not make for a good judgment call or management call. WHAT A liability on the on the agency that would be, not to mention the danger she is allowing our agents to put the citizens of the State of Florida by allowing them to get behind the wheel after drinking. My limited amount and the next person’s limited amount can be a "BIG" difference. I hope she reconsiders. We have a few here I believe already have a drinking problem, heck that might be why they want permission to drink on duty. Getting rid of that was the best thing ABT did. You can be in a bar and do your job effectively without having a drink. Find another reason to have one, when your not getting behind the wheel. I think you are full of crap on all of the above but especially this issue. What are we teaching these underage drinkers when they hear of us in an accident for a DUI from a “limited amount” so we could blend in while we were working in the bar?

10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
According to the above post no one should have one beer and then drive home.

I do however agree it may be a liability issue because of a few bad apples.

Overall I would like to think that as LEO we would be able to nurse a drink over an hour and be able to drive home.

All it takes is one person to have 2 beers, get into an accident, and have a .06 BAC but for ABT to still get sued big time.

10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with the post above. She should not allow drinking on duty, to much of a liability.

10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
It is very difficult, if not impossible, to conduct any vice investigation and not consume any alcohol at all. Consuming alcoholic beverages by undercover officers is acceptable for any other law enforcement agency in the State. They all allow it!!! While I believe this is a good policy overall, exceptions need to be made for those in a true undercover capacity.

10-18-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm so glad we finally have a Director who cares and will examine these issues. She will be a breath of fresh air.

10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
They may consume, but they have someone drive them away...way to big a liability these days fellas...shouldn't be allowed to happen. If you smart enough you figure out ways to get around it...oh wait a minute, no body here has enough experience to do such a thing...that's why we shouldn't hire people without experience...

10-18-2007, 01:20 AM
My concern would be toward protecting my own butt, instead of worrying about someone suing ABT. The bottom line is very clear...violate policy and the agency will use that fact to cut you loose in a civil action. The "two beers" you "partially consume" in the nudie bar in order to fit in with the patrons during your misdemeanor investigation could very well cost you for the rest of your life. It has been many years since I worked u/c so I don't know what "the kids" are up to now, but in my day we were very creative. I know this will come as a shock to some, but some of us would actually lie to targets and bar employees. We would tell them all sorts of crap like "booze effects my herpes meds." If you are really u/c, you don't need to be drinking anyway. You miss too much of what is going on around you.
Stay Safe.

10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Why worry about it?! How often do you work such details?!

10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
In the above post, the use of the word "concern" is rhetorical. I believe the post also indicates the writer has not worked u/c in some time. There is a difference between worry and concern. As an example, I am concerned about the safety of my fellow agents, but I don't worry about it.

10-22-2007, 11:12 PM

I would hope she is smart enough not to allow her agents to be consuming “limited amounts” of alcohol while out on duty and then allowing them to drive, a state owned vehicle at that. That would not make for a good judgment call or management call. WHAT A liability on the on the agency that would be, not to mention the danger she is allowing our agents to put the citizens of the State of Florida by allowing them to get behind the wheel after drinking. My limited amount and the next person’s limited amount can be a "BIG" difference. I hope she reconsiders. We have a few here I believe already have a drinking problem, heck that might be why they want permission to drink on duty. Getting rid of that was the best thing ABT did. You can be in a bar and do your job effectively without having a drink. Find another reason to have one, when your not getting behind the wheel. I think you are full of crap on all of the above but especially this issue. What are we teaching these underage drinkers when they hear of us in an accident for a DUI from a “limited amount” so we could blend in while we were working in the bar?

I hope she will be smart enough to leave the post as soon as possible!!!!...This agency is not conducive to good work!

10-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I here she hates WALMART
The American way store

10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
OK so this conversation melted down, as they all seem to, into a petty fight: This time over whether or not people at ABT should consume limited quantities of alcohol, as they did for the first 70 years prior to the arrival of the previous secretary. That's right, I blame the secretary, since the changes started there.

You may agree that valuable investigations were completed during our first 70 years. You may not. It is a fact that agents drank on duty, in bars, since agents worked on duty, in bars. We've gotten away from all that, and it is a shame.

What's interesting is that the list of topics above, and many others, are actually being considered. People are talking about making positive changes, returning this agency back toward a positive track. I am so impressed by this.

10-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Well said Guest!!!

10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
WHO

10-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Has any one heard when your new chief, Richard V., begins. Have they announced his report date yet?

10-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Has any one heard when your new chief, Richard V., begins. Have they announced his report date yet?

The sooner the better!!!

10-30-2007, 12:27 PM
It won't be until the new chief's shield has returned from Blackington. The CHIEF panel has been replaced with one stating Master & Commander

10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I hope you guys are ready to be treated like 2nd class citizens. When the rein of Richard beguins you will want to be somewhere else. There is one thing positive that has come out of this. We at DOT will not miss him.

Best wishes.

10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I hope you guys are ready to be treated like 2nd class citizens. When the rein of Richard beguins you will want to be somewhere else. There is one thing positive that has come out of this. We at DOT will not miss him.

Best wishes.

10-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Best wishes.

10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
OK so this conversation melted down, as they all seem to, into a petty fight: This time over whether or not people at ABT should consume limited quantities of alcohol, as they did for the first 70 years prior to the arrival of the previous secretary. That's right, I blame the secretary, since the changes started there.

You may agree that valuable investigations were completed during our first 70 years. You may not. It is a fact that agents drank on duty, in bars, since agents worked on duty, in bars. We've gotten away from all that, and it is a shame.

What's interesting is that the list of topics above, and many others, are actually being considered. People are talking about making positive changes, returning this agency back toward a positive track. I am so impressed by this.

Why is it that everyone is worried so much by this little policy. How about this, return thing the way they were before the last admin, then if you as an individual agent do not wish to consume A/B then don't, and do not worry about those who do. It's just like anything else in life, if you do not wish to do something that others are doing then just don't do it. For those of us old enough to remember, its like Nacy Reagan said "Just say no"

10-31-2007, 01:54 AM

Best wishes.

It does not matter - Richard, Sam, Mark, Bill, Buckwheat, Alfalfa - who ever it is, whenever it is doesn't change the facts. We will always be engaged in a never ending struggle against "The Man."
Oh sure - The Man will try to win over some - try to convert the unsuspecting and the unknowing - but when it is all said and done, there will still be the "Haves" and the "Have Nots." In the immortal words of a great (now retired) agent - Total happiness is within reach and can be yours - all you need to do is lower your expectations. I was here before and I will be here after - Stay Medicated.

11-01-2007, 01:37 AM
We miss him already!!!!!!!!

11-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Why is it that everyone is worried so much by this little policy. How about this, return thing the way they were before the last admin, then if you as an individual agent do not wish to consume A/B then don't, and do not worry about those who do. It's just like anything else in life, if you do not wish to do something that others are doing then just don't do it. For those of us old enough to remember, its like Nacy Reagan said "Just say no"

Times and laws have changed. Wreck that state car while intoxicated if you want...a half good investigator knows how to order drinks without having to DRINK. Go ahead...wreck that car and injure/kill someone with liquor on your breath...I can actually see the headlines and law suits now.

11-08-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't think anyone is condoning DUI's. Its a matter of what's reasonable. As it stands now, if you consume a sip of beer during a sale without investigation at noon, you can't drive home at 6 or at any time really. Have a glass of wine with dinner and you may not be authorized to drive to work in the morning!!!! There's no timeframe or exceptions. It's a poorly versed policy that needs to be revised.

11-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Well it looks like she is fighting for Richard V., to be chief...watch out folks, you just thought you had it bad! You aint seen nothing yet. Esp when these two are reunited!

11-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Reunited and it feels so gooo oooood :o

11-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Reunited and it feels so gooo oooood :o

Twill-ta-dee is that you?! Cause Twill-ta-dumb is waiting!

11-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...why...why...why did yall bring it back?! Especially as Director...why?! Oh please give us a sign....and tell us why?!

11-16-2007, 02:28 AM
10K pay raise...........give me a break...........wake up you idiot........Hill will be more of the same and you can mark my words. ABT will never be a "Law enforcement" agency and if you think it is you need to take a bat and hit yourself over the head a few times and WAKE up!

11-16-2007, 02:33 AM
10K pay raise...........give me a break...........wake up you idiot........Hill will be more of the same and you can mark my words. ABT will never be a "Law enforcement" agency and if you think it is you need to take a bat and hit yourself over the head a few times and WAKE up!

What? Who? Where? did the bat slip? What does this post respond to? Did I miss something or did another post get deleted again?

11-17-2007, 04:53 AM

What? Who? Where? did the bat slip? What does this post respond to? Did I miss something or did another post get deleted again?
I think they were actually responding to something from another post.

11-18-2007, 07:06 PM

I think its great that a post like this comes from someone who can't even post correctly on a simple forum?!?!?

No wonder we're in trouble!!

11-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Hope they don't get cases confused like this. That would be saying they work more than one at a time.

11-20-2007, 05:40 PM

I think its great that a post like this comes from someone who can't even post correctly on a simple forum?!?!?

No wonder we're in trouble!!
but this is ABT's finest..