PDA

View Full Version : How horrible

10-11-2007, 11:08 PM
This is a disgusting represtation of our profession

By Rene Stutzman | Orlando Sentinel

CASSELBERRY -- In January, 1-year-old Joey Cosmillo wandered into the backyard and fell into the family pool. When his mother hauled him out, he wasn't breathing. Rescuers were able to bring him back to life, but he suffered severe brain damage and cannot walk, talk or even swallow.

Now, his family faces another burden: One of the rescuers, Casselberry police Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn, is suing, alleging the family left a puddle of water on the floor that afternoon, causing her to slip and fall.

The boy's grandparents, named in the suit, are mystified and angry.
The loss we've suffered, and she's seeking money?" said Richard Cosmillo, 69, the boy's grandfather. "Of course there's going to be water in the house. He was sopping wet when we brought him in."

Eichhorn last week sued Richard Cosmillo; his wife, Maggie Cosmillo; and the boy's mother, Angela Cosmillo, accusing them of negligence. They were careless, according to the suit, and allowed the home they shared to become unsafe.

As a consequence, Eichhorn broke her knee, something that kept her off the job for two months, according to police Chief John Pavlis.

Joey now lives in a nursing home five miles away, where he gets 24-hour care. He breathes through one tube. He's fed through another.

"He doesn't have any abilities -- any," his grandmother said. "He can't sit. He can't swallow. He can't eat. We're not even sure he can see."

She and Richard Cosmillo are the boy's legal guardians. For the first two months after the accident, she remained at his bedside, never once going home.

She has now gone back to work at a furniture store, and her husband keeps watch on the boy. He visits every day.

"This thing," Maggie Cosmillo said, "has destroyed our lives forever."

The baby's mother was the only one home Jan. 9, when the boy slipped out of the house and wound up in the pool, according to a police report.

She plunged in and dragged him out, carrying him inside, down a hallway and into a bedroom. She also called 911.

Eichhorn arrived a few minutes later. As she stepped into the room where rescuers were working on the boy, she slipped and went down on one knee, then stood back up, according to Richard Cosmillo.

Later that day, she went to an emergency care center and eventually to an orthopedist, according to her attorney, David Heil.

While she was on medical leave, Pavlis said, the city's insurer paid her medical bills and provided disability checks.

Eichhorn, a 12-year department veteran, would not discuss the suit. Her attorney said those benefits, paid by the city's workers' compensation carrier, were not enough. The suit seeks an unspecified amount of money.

Eichhorn, he said, is a victim. Her knee aches, and she will likely develop arthritis.

If the Cosmillos had made their pool baby-proof, police would not have been called to the scene, there would have been no water on the floor, and Eichhorn would not have hurt herself, he said.

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," he said.

The department's personnel file on Eichhorn, who earns $48,000 a year, is filled with letters of praise. She has worked as a prostitution decoy and a hostage negotiator, and once wrestled a box of razor blades away from a person threatening suicide.

"She is the best sergeant within the police department and should become the next lieutenant," her supervisor wrote in a job review in 2003.

"Sgt. Eichhorn is a good officer," Pavlis said Tuesday.

He urged her not to file the lawsuit, he said, but there was nothing he could do.

The Cosmillos have not given the suit much attention, they say.

Richard Cosmillo is busy looking after Joey, whose name he had tattooed over his heart a few days after the accident, when doctors told the family the boy would survive only a few hours.

But Joey, now almost 23 months old, has survived. He can smile, and he appears to recognize music, his grandparents say. His grandfather hopes for much more.

"Joey is a Roman gladiator. He is an absolute warrior," Richard Cosmillo said. "There isn't anything or anyone in this world that I love as much as him."

10-12-2007, 02:53 PM
This is a disgusting represtation of our profession.

You're counting on a news article to portray the whole truth in a case? These are the same people who write horrible stories about us after shootings and convey half-truths, hearsay, and all out lies about the police all the time... They are the same ones who love sensational stories (like this one) and love to make the police look bad... So, why in the world would you believe this story is any different?

10-12-2007, 05:45 PM
This is a disgusting represtation of our profession.

You're counting on a news article to portray the whole truth in a case? These are the same people who write horrible stories about us after shootings and convey half-truths, hearsay, and all out lies about the police all the time... They are the same ones who love sensational stories (like this one) and love to make the police look bad... So, why in the world would you believe this story is any different?

Unless the family intentionally caused this officer to fall, it would be her own fault for not using due care. I understand the exigency of the situation, and most of our injuries are accidents like falling over a sprinkler head in a dark back yard while investigating a 13I. Do you sue the homeowner? No. What type of negligence do you think is in play here that would justify this lawsuit? Yes, the media does paint us in a bad light, but this type of lawsuit does it well enough without the media.

10-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I guess I'm not the only one that feels disgusted? What do you think now, Puhlease?

CASSELBERRY -- The police sergeant who filed a slip-and-fall lawsuit against the family of a severely brain-damaged toddler is abandoning her case.

Amid heavy criticism from people angry about the suit, the Police Department began an internal investigation and placed Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn on paid leave Thursday. Shortly afterward, her attorney reported she was giving up her lawsuit.

Eichhorn, 35, had sued on Oct. 1, accusing Joey Cosmillo's family of negligence. Eichhorn was one of several officers sent to their home Jan. 9 after the boy's mother called 911 to report that her 1-year-old son had wandered into the backyard, fallen into the pool and nearly drowned.
The mother, Angela Cosmillo, had carried the boy inside, leaving a trail of water. Eichhorn slipped and fell in a puddle when she walked inside the home to join rescuers who resuscitated the boy.

She broke a kneecap and was off the job two months, but she returned to full duty months ago, and the city of Casselberry or its insurer covered all her medical costs and paid her full salary.

After a story appeared in the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday, hundreds of people inundated Casselberry City Hall and the Police Department with calls and e-mail, voicing their outrage about the suit.

The outcry got results: Late Thursday afternoon, attorney David Heil reported that Eichhorn was backing down.

"Ms. Eichhorn has decided to dismiss the suit," he said.

The lawyer likely will make that official today by filing paperwork with the court, he said.

He would not comment further, and his client could not be reached for comment. "I'm elated, of course," said an exhausted Richard Cosmillo, 69, the boy's grandfather and guardian. He had been inundated with calls for interviews while still spending hours each day with Joey, who cannot walk, talk, sit up or swallow.

The child, 22 months old, lives in a nursing home and breathes through a tube. He takes nourishment through a second tube.

"It really is an outrageous thing she was trying to do. Outrageous," Cosmillo said. "I just think that preying on people with such extreme injury is just, it's just not even human."

Wednesday, the day the story broke, Eichhorn worked part of her shift, supervising the agency's seven detectives, but she went home early.

On Thursday, she did not come in. In midafternoon, she got more bad news: Police Chief John Pavlis had filed a formal complaint against her, setting up the internal investigation.

It was prompted by the mass outpouring of criticism, said police Lt. Dennis Stewart, the Police Department spokesman. The chief did not accuse her of wrongdoing, Stewart said, but he asked the agency to re-examine the case.

The Orlando Sentinel reviewed Eichhorn's personnel file last week, and it was unblemished, but on Thursday the city produced more records, showing she had been disciplined in 1998.

According to police records, Eichhorn had used a false name four times while working an off-duty job, something the Police Department concluded may have been a tax dodge designed to hide income. She was docked a week's pay, took a $40 pay cut and was banned from off-duty jobs for six months.

Since news of the lawsuit broke, city officials have worked hard to distance themselves from it. Neither the city nor the Police Department is named in the suit, and city officials stressed that they had tried to talk Eichhorn out of filing it.

"We don't condone it," City Manager Barbara Lipscomb said.

It is important, she said, that Casselberry residents remain confident that if they call 911, the Police Department won't send an officer looking to sue them.

Even though Eichhorn plans to drop her suit, Lipscomb said the internal investigation would continue.

It's not clear how long it will last, Stewart said.

Cosmillo left his grandson's bedside at the nursing home about 7:15 p.m. Thursday. He said he would return today.

"I'll just keep doing what I'm doing," he said. "There's nothing more I can do: Hold him. Kiss him. Hug him. Talk to him."

Rene Stutzman can be reached at rstutzman@orlandosentinel.com or 407-324-7294.

10-12-2007, 08:11 PM
What do you think now, Puhlease?

I think that you are a mindless lemming who reads something in a paper (or on the internet) and believes everything to be true. Because of idiots like you, this Officer was made out to be a demon... I hope that you're never the victim of someone else's negligence. It's horrible that the kid is in the hospital. It's even more horrible that the news would paint the Officer in the light that it did. Bottom line is, she was injured due to what she perceived as someone else's negligence. She has every right to sue them (and most likely in this case, their insurance company). Would I do the same thing? Probably not. Is what she did legal? Absolutely. If the roles were reversed, and a civilian sued a cop (even if the cop's kid was a vegetable) would the news paint the plantiff in the same light? Absolutely not.

Now, go read some more anti-police stories and post them on here so you can be like the rest of the mindless idiots out there who can't think for themselves and need a reporter or anchorman to think for them...

10-12-2007, 10:48 PM
What do you think now, Puhlease?

I think that you are a mindless lemming who reads something in a paper (or on the internet) and believes everything to be true. Because of idiots like you, this Officer was made out to be a demon... I hope that you're never the victim of someone else's negligence. It's horrible that the kid is in the hospital. It's even more horrible that the news would paint the Officer in the light that it did. Bottom line is, she was injured due to what she perceived as someone else's negligence. She has every right to sue them (and most likely in this case, their insurance company). Would I do the same thing? Probably not. Is what she did legal? Absolutely. If the roles were reversed, and a civilian sued a cop (even if the cop's kid was a vegetable) would the news paint the plantiff in the same light? Absolutely not.

Now, go read some more anti-police stories and post them on here so you can be like the rest of the mindless idiots out there who can't think for themselves and need a reporter or anchorman to think for them...

I agree and if you dont like it, go sue someone if youre that bored otherwise just GO AWAY.

10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Do you think that the woman who sued McDonalds for millions after SHE spilled hot coffee on herself, was wronged and deserved the outrageous settlement she won. But just asking the question, which you didn't answer... would you sue a homeowner if you tripped over a sprinkler head and hurt yourself? In the past, we've had a few officers that have injured themself in that fashion, did they sue anyone? The answer is NO. This officer was out to make a quick buck. Workman's comp wasn't good enough for her, she wanted more. I don't need the media, or anyone else to think for me and its apparent that the story was based on true information because her PD couldn't remove themself far enough from her. I'm not saying that officers don't have a right to sue in some circumstances. I'm just saying that I don't feel that this isn't one of them. There are hazards in this job and we are responsbile for our own safety.

There is no reason to be rude while trying to have a discussion. You're way too defensive. I certainly hope you don't treat the citizens we serve so rudely.

10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Do you think that the woman who sued McDonalds for millions after SHE spilled hot coffee on herself, was wronged and deserved the outrageous settlement she won. But just asking the question, which you didn't answer... would you sue a homeowner if you tripped over a sprinkler head and hurt yourself? In the past, we've had a few officers that have injured themself in that fashion, did they sue anyone? The answer is NO. This officer was out to make a quick buck. Workman's comp wasn't good enough for her, she wanted more. I don't need the media, or anyone else to think for me and its apparent that the story was based on true information because her PD couldn't remove themself far enough from her. I'm not saying that officers don't have a right to sue in some circumstances. I'm just saying that I don't feel that this isn't one of them. There are hazards in this job and we are responsbile for our own safety.
How Smug you are. Your probably a person who reads and thinks as MSMBC, CNN or the other major news networks. We dont care about who sues who. So whats the point of your post? Are you trying to make police feel that they should be ashamed for what this woman is doing? Were you THERE! I think there's a little monday morning quaterbacking here without ALL the facts. The reason that idiot got all that money for drinking hot coffee was there was a jerk of a lawyer who saw $$$$$ for himself. And thats the problem here. A lawyer should have told her to go pound sand lady, thats not ethical. But just like everything else, this country is run by a few hundred manderins of lawyers who make up laws, case laws that affect us all. So if someone wins a stupid or needless lawsuit dont blame the plaintiff. BLAME THE LAWYER for intertaining it in the FIRST PLACE!!!! now could we get back to POLICE ISSUES. Is there anything left sacred for us anymore now that we have non law enforcement people suggesting moral character to us!
ps. and if you can do the job better, with a clean moral compass i suggest you carry the badge and gun and see if you could do it!
otherwise your comments here are squat!

There is no reason to be rude while trying to have a discussion. You're way too defensive. I certainly hope you don't treat the citizens we serve so rudely.

10-13-2007, 12:13 AM
How Smug you are. Your probably a person who reads and thinks as MSMBC, CNN or the other major news networks. We dont care about who sues who. So whats the point of your post? Are you trying to make police feel that they should be ashamed for what this woman is doing? Were you THERE! I think there's a little monday morning quaterbacking here without ALL the facts. The reason that idiot got all that money for drinking hot coffee was there was a jerk of a lawyer who saw $$$$$ for himself. And thats the problem here. A lawyer should have told her to go pound sand lady, thats not ethical. But just like everything else, this country is run by a few hundred manderins of lawyers who make up laws, case laws that affect us all. So if someone wins a stupid or needless lawsuit dont blame the plaintiff. BLAME THE LAWYER for intertaining it in the FIRST PLACE!!!! now could we get back to POLICE ISSUES. Is there anything left sacred for us anymore now that we have non law enforcement people suggesting moral character to us!
ps. and if you can do the job better, with a clean moral compass i suggest you carry the badge and gun and see if you could do it!

10-13-2007, 12:16 AM

I dont Im very professional to people. But your comments are just well....STUPID. Again live the life do as we do and after 10 years of working, come back here and re read your posts. Then tell me what you think.

10-13-2007, 12:35 AM
15 years plus and I still stand by my opinion.

10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
15 years plus and I still stand by my opinion.
Well Im 20+ and at least we agree on one thing its an opinion :?

10-15-2007, 11:08 AM

You've made an awful lot of assumptions about me. If you've read my posts, I work WITH you, so I'm not a "non-law enforcement" person. I have not verbally attacked you, so why the need for you to do so to me? I wonder just how many times you've made a bad decision because of your judgemental attitude. Yes, most people lie to us, the police. That's a fact of life, and we do have to make instant decisions based on that. However, it seems that you can't leave it at the door when you go 10-7. This is a forum for us to speak freely and it could be used in a positive way to open up discussion, but apparently you're not mature enough to do that without being so nasty and defensive.

10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Cops suing for Line of Duty Injuries? Any cop defending this behavior should look for safer work.

10-15-2007, 11:18 PM

You've made an awful lot of assumptions about me. If you've read my posts, I work WITH you, so I'm not a "non-law enforcement" person. I have not verbally attacked you, so why the need for you to do so to me? I wonder just how many times you've made a bad decision because of your judgemental attitude. Yes, most people lie to us, the police. That's a fact of life, and we do have to make instant decisions based on that. However, it seems that you can't leave it at the door when you go 10-7. This is a forum for us to speak freely and it could be used in a positive way to open up discussion, but apparently you're not mature enough to do that without being so nasty and defensive.

And my point is that the article you so cling to for truth is always not always what it seems, if you trust 3/4 of what the main stream media puts on air or in text then good sir i think you might also believe in the tooth fairy.
And if you do work here and cant handle a little back lash then you really have thin skin. maybe a little more road time should tough it up some. And Im not defending her or him. My beef is with "people" who take what the media spews out at us as face value truth. As you should know by your exstensive police background, there's always the other side of the story that's not always given...Right? and no one is stopping you from open speech at least here its not EDITED like news media. It seems some individuals at the PD have a problem with open speech. Now if people want to keep there posts anonymous thats there right. but now you have people writing things like BE CAREFUL or you've crossed the line. And thats plain simple intimidation. And for your information I work to pay my bills thats it. I dont live, breath, and eat police work. Its just a job. And I come here to talk shop and complain. Something that you cant do freely at the PD without some type of action taken by a person(s) who have the abilty to make your work enviroment horrible. So to you I apologize if I had openly insulted you. And if not posting my name is being a coward I'll take that over some OVER ZEALOUS supervisors who think that they can do anything to you on or off duty. At those supervisors know who they are. I'll keep my name anonymous to protect what little time left here I have. Yes I have made bad decisions, but chalked it up as a learning lesson. we make mistakes and then we move on.
enough said.

10-16-2007, 08:13 AM

And my point is that the article you so cling to for truth is always not always what it seems, if you trust 3/4 of what the main stream media puts on air or in text then good sir i think you might also believe in the tooth fairy.
And if you do work here and cant handle a little back lash then you really have thin skin. maybe a little more road time should tough it up some. And Im not defending her or him. My beef is with "people" who take what the media spews out at us as face value truth. As you should know by your exstensive police background, there's always the other side of the story that's not always given...Right? and no one is stopping you from open speech at least here its not EDITED like news media. It seems some individuals at the PD have a problem with open speech. Now if people want to keep there posts anonymous thats there right. but now you have people writing things like BE CAREFUL or you've crossed the line. And thats plain simple intimidation. And for your information I work to pay my bills thats it. I dont live, breath, and eat police work. Its just a job. And I come here to talk shop and complain. Something that you cant do freely at the PD without some type of action taken by a person(s) who have the abilty to make your work enviroment horrible. So to you I apologize if I had openly insulted you. And if not posting my name is being a coward I'll take that over some OVER ZEALOUS supervisors who think that they can do anything to you on or off duty. At those supervisors know who they are. I'll keep my name anonymous to protect what little time left here I have. Yes I have made bad decisions, but chalked it up as a learning lesson. we make mistakes and then we move on.
enough said.

Your apology is accepted. Thank you. You have very valid points regarding the media and how the truth can be slanted. One such incident that I recall is where Rick Sanchez (Channel 7) was holding up a pile of papers, while reporting on-air, of an arrest that we had made. I don't remember the case, it was many years ago. He was talking about the subject's extensive criminal history, and leading the viewer to believe that the papers he was holding was a copy of the subject's 10-27. Now, we know that he didn't have that information, but he wanted the viewers to believe that he did. Another time,(same channel, same reporter) he was holding a piece of paper, leading the public to believe that it was a suicide note written by the husband in a public homicide/suicide in our city. Again, that suicide note was bagged and tagged by ID, with no copies made for the media. So yes, there is foundation for what you say.

Off the topic, but since it was brought up, I have no problem with people posting their thoughts and gripes anonymously. HOWEVER, in my opinion, it isn't fair play for some posters to spew accusations of co-workers/supersvisors by NAME, all under the "protection" of that anonymity. The fact that this is a public forum makes that seem somewhat slanderous. Publicly criticizing a supervisor and naming him, well that MAY be a breach of our General Orders, but I'm not sure. I seem to have misplaced my G.O. book. :snicker: With that said, there may be some validity to those warnings that you mention. For me, its not worth blasting someone here, just to get jammed up in some I.A. over a few posts.

Stay safe.

10-16-2007, 11:50 PM
[quote="Disgusted":2dwb2nve]Do you think that the woman who sued McDonalds for millions after SHE spilled hot coffee on herself, was wronged and deserved the outrageous settlement she won. But just asking the question, which you didn't answer... would you sue a homeowner if you tripped over a sprinkler head and hurt yourself? In the past, we've had a few officers that have injured themself in that fashion, did they sue anyone? The answer is NO. This officer was out to make a quick buck. Workman's comp wasn't good enough for her, she wanted more. I don't need the media, or anyone else to think for me and its apparent that the story was based on true information because her PD couldn't remove themself far enough from her. I'm not saying that officers don't have a right to sue in some circumstances. I'm just saying that I don't feel that this isn't one of them. There are hazards in this job and we are responsbile for our own safety.

enough said.

Your apology is accepted. Thank you. You have very valid points regarding the media and how the truth can be slanted. One such incident that I recall is where Rick Sanchez (Channel 7) was holding up a pile of papers, while reporting on-air, of an arrest that we had made. I don't remember the case, it was many years ago. He was talking about the subject's extensive criminal history, and leading the viewer to believe that the papers he was holding was a copy of the subject's 10-27. Now, we know that he didn't have that information, but he wanted the viewers to believe that he did. Another time,(same channel, same reporter) he was holding a piece of paper, leading the public to believe that it was a suicide note written by the husband in a public homicide/suicide in our city. Again, that suicide note was bagged and tagged by ID, with no copies made for the media. So yes, there is foundation for what you say.

Off the topic, but since it was brought up, I have no problem with people posting their thoughts and gripes anonymously. HOWEVER, in my opinion, it isn't fair play for some posters to spew accusations of co-workers/supersvisors by NAME, all under the "protection" of that anonymity. The fact that this is a public forum makes that seem somewhat slanderous. Publicly criticizing a supervisor and naming him, well that MAY be a breach of our General Orders, but I'm not sure. I seem to have misplaced my G.O. book. :snicker: With that said, there may be some validity to those warnings that you mention. For me, its not worth blasting someone here, just to get jammed up in some I.A. over a few posts.

Stay safe.[/quote:2dwb2nve]

And I also agree that names need to stay out. Its too personal, and it does border a breach of G.O.s. But again I feel this is the last area for people who just want to shoot off at the mouth or (keyboard) and keep their post anonymous without the typical response from Alpha male supervisors. You know the ones that think their sh..i..a..t doesnt stink.
the ones or one who thinks he's "untouchable."
see you out there