PDA

View Full Version : Officers sometimes send mixed messages

10-09-2007, 09:43 AM
The Sun Herlad
10/09/07
Elaine Allen-Emrich column: Officers sometimes send mixed messages

Hello, North Port.

I was so excited to see more than 20 North Port police officers drop everything and spend about an hour at Glenallen Elementary School on Wednesday.

Since 2002, Glenallen Elementary School students have made thank-you cards for police officers and firefighters to show appreciation for keeping North Port safe.

Not only did the officers visit the fourth- and fifth-grade classrooms, they answered questions and gave out ice cream certificates they purchased for the students. It was a sincerely wonderful gesture on behalf of those dedicated officers, and I believe it's important for today's children to make meaningful and memorable connections with them.

Children and teens sometimes have the unpleasant experience of watching police arrest their father or mother for allegedly using drugs, driving under the influence or domestic violence. Because children don't understand, they naturally blame the officer for taking away their loved one. If that is the only experience a child has with an officer, it often leaves them with bad feelings about cops.

Likewise, if a teenager hasn't had any experiences with officers and their first encounter is getting a ticket for not wearing a helmet on a bicycle or blasting the radio too loudly, that often breeds a rocky relationship with law enforcement.

By no means do I advocate children not wearing bicycle helmets or that they shouldn't turn down their radios while driving. What I'm saying is police officers are given the power of discretion. They can choose to warn students or write tickets.

I recently heard a story from a local student about his run-in with the law.

The 17-year-old was driving a 16-year-old to 7-Eleven after school. The boys said they saw two officers talking. One was smoking a cigarette near the store.

When the two boys entered the parking lot, one of the officers from the traffic enforcement unit walked over to his vehicle. He asked to see the 17-year-old driver's license and registration. The boy obliged. The teen asked what was wrong. The officer said he could hear the music coming before he ever made it to the parking lot. The officer asked the boy why he wasn't wearing his seat belt. The teen didn't have an answer. The officer asked the passenger for his driver's license. The passenger asked if he could go into the store. He was told no. Then the passenger told one of the two officers there was a woman about 19 years old who parked in a handicapped parking space without a placard. The passenger said the officer told him he was busy and stayed with the other officer.

The driver was given tickets for loud music and a seat belt violation.

My question is, since an officer can decide to warn someone or to give a ticket for something as minor as loud music, why not do a little community-oriented policing and talk to the teens for a couple minutes about the law prohibiting loud music within 25 feet of a vehicle? I understand it's strictly up to the officer, and the teen admitted being clearly at fault. However, many other residents believe the 7-Eleven gets far greater coverage by officers than many neighborhoods.

The teenager will pay his fines. He now knows the cost of not wearing his seat belt, and maybe for his own sake, he will turn down his radio. But, he might also remember this experience as a time an officer might have reached out a little differently.

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/ ... ry=np4.htm (http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/100907/np4.htm?date=100907&story=np4.htm)

Ouch! That 7/11 bit has got to hurt.

Imagine that, the general public just about per batem saying what has been posted here by several people.

Seems that someone else see's it for what it is as well.

10-09-2007, 10:02 AM
What's per batem? You making up your own words now? GENIUS at WORK! Watch out North Port. Next he'll be master batem!

10-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess the author of that piece has to pay her kids ticket.

10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
we are such a joke to this town and even the other county depts.... nppd is a joke to all of the others in this community :shock:

10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
What's per batem? You making up your own words now? GENIUS at WORK! Watch out North Port. Next he'll be master batem!

I think the poster meant verbatim, and he is right. And the same kind comments have been made on this board before.
Now if you are through with the spell check, how about actually addressing the story and the point being made.
Or is that just a wee bit beyond your knuckle dragging mentality?

10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, let's look at the story! Everyone please forget about the top half of this story where 20 Officers volunteered, in some cases to go see these 4th and 5th graders! Obviously, Elaine Allen knows the kids that got these tickets and had to sour the good part with her version of what is fair and what is not. I guess you have never had your windows rattled by the sound of a booming base coming from a passing car. Every kid out there knows they take that chance when they crank up the amp! And as for not wearing a seat belt.....you non LEO posters don't get to see the twisted, bloodied, broken bodies we do on a regular basis from people not wearing a seat belt...WE DO! So shame on that Officer for trying to save their lives by making them hopefully remember to buckle up and using a fine to do so! People remember more when it hurts their pockets and if that was enough to get them to wear their seat belts and save their hearing, then they did their job! So, Slapping down the Morons, if you call this knuckle dragging mentality, then you are the moron!

nppdx86
10-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Question asked from above post: "My question is, since an officer can decide to warn someone or to give a ticket for something as minor as loud music, why not do a little community-oriented policing and talk to the teens for a couple minutes about the law prohibiting loud music within 25 feet of a vehicle?"

Little do u know, we as officers explain the violation in full... Then we either write a warning or issue the ticket... I do agree with the post above... Fines hurt more, but not as much as telling the persons loved one(s) he or she was killed for something they were doing wrong in a motor vehicle...

Ghost of 3101 NPPD
10-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, let's look at the story! Everyone please forget about the top half of this story where 20 Officers volunteered, in some cases to go see these 4th and 5th graders! Obviously, Elaine Allen knows the kids that got these tickets and had to sour the good part with her version of what is fair and what is not. I guess you have never had your windows rattled by the sound of a booming base coming from a passing car. Every kid out there knows they take that chance when they crank up the amp! And as for not wearing a seat belt.....you non LEO posters don't get to see the twisted, bloodied, broken bodies we do on a regular basis from people not wearing a seat belt...WE DO! If such work is beyond your abiltiy to handle then perhaps another line of employment is better suit you. So shame on that Officer for trying to save their lives by making them hopefully remember to buckle up and using a fine to do so! People remember more when it hurts their pockets and if that was enough to get them to wear their seat belts and save their hearing, then they did their job! I was always taught that it was an officers job to enforce the law not to judge or administer punishment to a suspect? It is up to the state to charge, judge and punish those found guilty. Police officers who take it upon themselves to do the job of the state, makes them nothing less then a vigilante So, Slapping down the Morons, if you call this knuckle dragging mentality, then you are the moron!
And those who resort to such action as enforcer and punisher, are suffering from a "knuckle dragging mentality and should be "Slapped down" as morons.

10-13-2007, 10:13 PM
The Moron is back! you're an idiot! Go back to being a menial husband! Listen to what your wife tells you! There's no way you could have ever been a cop unless you spent all your time doing "nothing", and that's why you aren't a cop!

Ghost of 3101 NPPD
10-13-2007, 11:31 PM
The Moron is back! you're an idiot! Go back to being a menial husband! Listen to what your wife tells you! There's no way you could have ever been a cop unless you spent all your time doing "nothing",If you mean not doing things like stopping ever car with a tag light out, writing a citation for ever F.S.S. that there is, jumping in the face of someone that looked at me wrong, expect my meals for free from area businesses, getting drunk at PBA meetings then drive home, base my performance as an officer on how many arrest I made and tickets I wrote. If you meant that, then you are right I did nothing.and that's why you aren't a cop! Sorry got the time in I wanted and was smart enough to get out before the giant egos went to battle over who was going to run the PD, resulting in the mess you have at the PD today.
As always keep those cards and letters coming people. :lol: :lol:

10-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Here we go again! The idiot speaks once more! You want people to believe your account of every day life of a North Port Police Officer, when you have no clue!.. [
b]Sorry got the time in I wanted and was smart enough to get out[/b] I think I remember now you were a loser then and a do nothing loser still! Remember when you left? No one cared because you were a worthless cop! But now you want to write your fiction..LOSER!

Ghost of 3101 NPPD
10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Here we go again! The idiot speaks once more! You want people to believe your account of every day life of a North Port Police Officer, when you have no clue!.. [
b]Sorry got the time in I wanted and was smart enough to get out[/b] I think I remember now you were a loser then and a do nothing loser still! Remember when you left? No one cared because you were a worthless cop! But now you want to write your fiction..LOSER!

When you receive this kind of constant publicity (see below link) week after week, and see how the PD is viewed by the public at large, I would watch who you call a loser.
Your lucky you can type, because it would be impossible for you talk with your foot in your mouth.

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/ ... tp6np3.htm (http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/101407/tp6np3.htm?date=101407&story=tp6np3.htm)

But wait! This story is nothing but the evil, unknowing media going after the misunderstood NPPD, again. :roll: :roll: :roll:

10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
yo! squirrel nuts, I'm sure even a idiot like you can figure this one out! woman & attorney = $$$$$! Or should these officers have done what you would have done and go hide somewhere hoping the person with the reported gun leaves the area while you cringe in the bathroom?

Ghost of 3101 NPPD
10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
yo! squirrel nuts, I'm sure even a idiot like you can figure this one out! woman & attorney = $$$$$! Or should these officers have done what you would have done and go hide somewhere hoping the person with the reported gun leaves the area while you cringe in the bathroom?

You are right nothing was wrong with any part of the whole incident.

If that is the case, then why the need for two new SOP's dealing with that kind of stop and use of force?

To reign in the over zealous and paranoid?
Nope, just the city in it's CYA mode again after another screw up.

10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
yo squirrel nuts! Do you have any clue what being a cop is like? You Monday morning quarterback everything! If an improvement can be made to an SOP because of an incident, then the Admin will make it! Don't have anything to say about hiding out for the 10-74 though, do you?
Just as I thought, you were a Puss!

nppdx86
10-14-2007, 11:16 PM
mr shit.. oh i ment the gost of 3101... you are not an leo or did u retire as a leo.. i have not seen you on the leo only site, so go pratice sig 32 you might get something right some day...

that woman is not getting any money, think what you want...

10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
touchee' nppdx86!

10-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah it does seem that at least once a week there is another PD SNAFU in the paper or on TV.

Gung Ho guys! Let's see what pops up in the healines next week.

10-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey See's...you sleepin with the Ghost of nads?