PDA

View Full Version : one down - whoe next?

10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
The first of the management team is gone. Will anyone miss him?

Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:06 AM
To: EM-ALL USERS
Subject: Budget reduction--abolished position

My purpose in writing is two-fold

1. I want to put to rest the "rumor mill' regarding my position.

The budget reductions for the Sheriff's Office thus far were finalized on September 25th during the final BOCC concerning TRIM and proposed budgets for FY 07-08. As most of you might recall, we were compelled to reduce our overall budget request for the Sheriff's Office by several million dollars. Notwithstanding the fact that the Circuit Court in Leon County overturned the proposed constitutional amendment for tax reduction , the Court upheld the budget reductions forced on the Counties regarding the October 1 rollback of ad valorem. That said, the only way the Sheriff's Office could achieve the budget cuts would be through personnel reductions or hiring freezes or a combination of both. The Sheriff's Office had already reduced capital and other operating expenses where those expenses could have been cut. A hiring freeze has been implemented except for job critical positions. My position was a contract position and is one of the positions that could be eliminated. The decision was not one that was made lightly and not as result of any 'arguments or discord' as some have suggested. The decision was a tough one and a business decision. When a leader is faced with a choice between a 'manager and a ground troop' a good leader chooses the 'ground troop.' I consider Sheriff McNesby to be a good leader, a good Sheriff and a good friend. But I serve as a contract member of the management team. I have served my entire career as an 'at will' employee. The risk of losing my position is a risk I accepted when I agreed to come to Escambia Sheriff's Office. Contrary to another rumor, I am not going to Iraq or any other overseas position. I do not currently have plans for another position elsewhere. Unfortunately, I am only in my second year of DROP and therefore cannot work for another State or County agency that is a participant in the Florida Retirement System, unless I agree to forfeit accumulated DROP money and found another agency that would agree to make back payments to the FRS covering the time I was in DROP. Since the budget cuts are affecting all other agencies throughout the State just as we are, that option really is not an option.

2. A few comments about my tenure in the Sheriff's Office.

The Sheriff and I discussed my coming to work here shortly after his first election in December of 2000. Although I had served as Chief Deputy in another Sheriff's Office, I was very interested in a new challenge and agreed to come here to run the jail and serve as part of his management team. That decision proved to be one of the best of my career. I was then and remain now impressed with the level of professionalism and dedication of the men and women who work throughout the Sheriff's Office. As I had the most contact with the members in Detention, I became particularly impressed with those personnel. The Sheriff allowed me wide latitude in the operation of the jail and the men and women of Detention were always 'equal to the task' of accepting the challenges I presented to them. They always exhibited a 'can do' attitude and never let me down in the performance of their duties. I have worked the streets and worked in the jails. Both areas are unique and demanding places to work. One is not better than the other, just different. On the street a deputy has the opportunity to do good, protect the public and receive recognition along with criticism for the job they do. In the jail, a deputy is always subject to criticism, work only with the accused and the good they do is rarely reported on in the media. But both members, with the support of their civilian counterparts, make a Sheriff's Office what it is. I believe the men and women of our Sheriff's Office make it one of the best in the State. It has been my privilege to work here. I wish each of the very best God has for your lives and I pray for the safety of you and your families in all that you do. Thank you for always making me feel welcome among you.

Dennis M. Williams, Director
Escambia Sheriff's Office

10-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I heard Willie Small is leaving in January. Anyone else here this also?

10-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh, Dennis Williams...by the subject line I thought you were talking about Doc Ely.

10-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Bye Bye George. Bye Dennis. Are you sure that is why you are leaving? Oh well, either way it looks like McNesby is paying lots of attention to David Morgan. He was first to point out the desperate situation in Brownsville long before the (still painful) Operation. Seems like he mentioned George being a problem a few times over the past 10 months. Morgan told him to not fire Coad without a proper hearing. If he had one he never would have been fired and probably not charged. And now Dennis Williams, Director of Long Range Departure. Who's left? In that knowledge lies your answer.

10-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Good riddance.
Williams was a overpriced buffon who was hired to be a yes man just like the rest of the overpaid contracts McNesby has hired to boost his ego.

McNesby ran off any of the old timers who didn't cow taw to his ways and replaced them with yes people like, Nan, Williams and many more.

He'll have to trim a lot more if he wants to trim the budget enough so that he can come close to having a chance for another term.

He may be working on the same list that all the others have that they plan to let go if they get elected.

10-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I think Dennis is running from something. A federal investigation of the agency perhaps? It's not likely that McNesby would knock him out of the lineup unless he was forced by something current that had come to the public or press that was intolerable. I believe Dennis stepped aside to establish a plausible alibi by being separated from whatever the investigation may uncover. Just a guess but I think it makes more sense than I cost to much so I'm quitting my great job. BTW is Dennis gone YET?

10-07-2007, 01:12 PM
When Dennis does leave I hope he takes Armour and Trinity (contracted privatized, overpaid, for profit companies) with him. The Sheriff needs to purge several more of his Directors and contract staff.

MOD 353
10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Sure Dennis, your post was deleted because I have not seen nor have I heard any proof to what you have posted. Your comments are a violation of the Terms of Use. You have made direct allegations about a man on this website that are purely specualtion at best.

10-08-2007, 02:30 AM
Sounds like Dennis is getting angry again. Probably a good thing that he doesn't have any inmates to take it out on anymore.

10-08-2007, 06:39 AM
I don't believe the letter Dennis wrote. He is either running away or he's been run off. Running away is more likely. Ronniemac is pretty loyal to his top tier team. It's just the deputies (and taxpayers) that he treats like dirt. Problem is that they are seeing the writing on the wall. Dennis has left a legacy that one would expect of a hostile man with a long list of questionable deaths under his supervision. I'm hoping he won't do a Larry Craig or George Touart move. You quit. So go already. We've heard enough of your excuses for you boss and yourself. If you wanted to keep playing the game you should have stayed on the job. Go away. Maybe South Florida will take you back. Possibly they have forgotten the circumstances under which you left your position there.