PDA

View Full Version : RIP Retired Chief Larry Leggett

09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Former chief Larry D. Leggett of the Hialeah Police Department passed away at 2:38AM on 26 SEP 07. For those who didn't have the pleasure of serving under him, he had been with Hialeah P.D. for over 30 years rising through the ranks and was the police chief from 1976 to 1983.
He was the model of honesty and integrity, treated his people with respect and had the respect of his officers. During his tenure the Hialeah P.D. was one of the most respected police departments in the state and was one of the best P.D.'s anywhere to work for. We had some of the best police officers I have ever been associated with working there and we were the envy of all the other P.D.'s in Dade County being the highest paid and having the lowest crime rate of any city in Florida. He was a victim of the changing demographics of the city finally being forced out for not bowing to the mayors wishes to control the police department.
He worked in real estate for several years after his retirement, remained active with the retired officers association and was a fixture at the annual HPD reunions. He was a regular attendee of the HPD retired officers breakfasts up until a few weeks ago when he became too ill to attend.
I think being around him reminded me of what a great place the Hialeah P.D. once was, mostly due to his dedication and leadership. I will miss him!