PDA

View Full Version : Few answers please

09-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I am considering applying to your agency. I am experienced and Florida certified. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer. The questions seem minor, but I am trying to get a full picture of the agencies I am considering. The first question is about the three year contract. I plan on staying wherever I go, but you never know what the future brings. What is the penalty for leaving early? Does the penalty reduce as you put in time? How long is your FTO program? I read on the forums, something about residential officers. What is the detail and is it voluntary or can/are officers forced to work the detail? I also read something about parking fees. Is there parking for officers or do they park their personal vehicles with the student population? I have no delusions about being promoted quickly, but just would like to know how long you must be employed to be eligible for promotion and if education is factored into the promotional process. Thanks in advance and be safe.

09-26-2007, 07:13 PM
The first question is about the three year contract. I plan on staying wherever I go, but you never know what the future brings. What is the penalty for leaving early?

I belive that its somewhere in the range of $3500 and reduces as you get closer to the end of the 3 yrs contract.

How long is your FTO program?......its about 5 months + or -. All must go through it no matter what experiance you have.

I read on the forums, something about residential officers. What is the detail and is it voluntary or can/are officers forced to work the detail?

No such detail due to manpower.

I also read something about parking fees. Is there parking for officers or do they park their personal vehicles with the student population?

There is a lot right in front of the station. You need to purchase a permit at the same cost as everyone else. There have been times that the good folks at parking services had even ticketed Officers cars in the police lot (which is a public parking lot except for the spots designated as Police Patrol vehicles.

I have no delusions about being promoted quickly, but just would like to know how long you must be employed to be eligible for promotion and if education is factored into the promotional process. Thanks in advance and be safe.

Off probation, be liked, and basically have to now wait until someone retires. With all the people leaving we will have more bosses than officers soon.

This place has great potential but due to piss poor salary and low manpower, Uniformed Patrol is about it.

Call the Department Mon-Fri 9-5 for additional information.

09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Answers,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I have couple of follow ups. Is the FTO program 5 months?? 20 weeks? That seems like a long FTO program.

The main thing that bothers me is that you have to pay to park at the police department when you work there....How much?????

Thanks again!!

09-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Parking Permits for Employee are are around $200 per year with an expected increase over the next few years which will bring it close to $400.

No, I'm not joking. No police "price" either. You are just another University Employee, just like a custodian.

FTO is long but considering the amount of days per week we work it works out to that time. Example:

Mon, Tues, - Work
Weds, Thurs - Off
Fri, Sat, Sun, Work
Mon, Tues, -Off
Weds, Thurs - Work
Fri, Sat, Sun - Off

12 hour shifts, Off every weekend .... its not bad

BUT (a big but)

Starting pay SUCKS and will continue to SUCK with no increase in sight based on the PBA Meeting today. So if you want to make money this is not the place. Just for your information TAMPA STARTS at $46,000

09-28-2007, 12:23 AM
Besides the UP Department being too cheap to pay for PD parking passes or stand up to the BS (when we have our own lot). UP people working the day shift check to see if people working the midnight shift have their parking passes on their vehicles. Hah, does it get any better then this?

09-28-2007, 12:37 AM
If your biggest concern is paying 200 for parking then why dont you go somewhere else.

09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses to my questions.

"If your biggest concern is paying 200 for parking then why dont you go somewhere else."

If money was my number one concern, I obviously would not consider working here. The $200 is nothing financially. It is just the point of paying to park where you work. I have been in the business for many years and have never heard of anything as ridiculous as paying to park at a department. Please find me any other agency that makes their employees do that.

All others, thanks again, Be Safe!!

09-28-2007, 04:20 AM
I have been in the business for many years and have never heard of anything as ridiculous as paying to park at a department.

YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT RIDICULOUS IS UNTIL YOU'VE WORKED HERE.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR JOB SEEKING

09-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Besides the UP Department being too cheap to pay for PD parking passes or stand up to the BS (when we have our own lot). UP people working the day shift check to see if people working the midnight shift have their parking passes on their vehicles. Hah, does it get any better then this?

The person who used to check for parking passes has moved to Tallahassee. Don't think anyone on dayshift cares.

10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
When you park, take the tag off and cover the VIN. Lets see them writing you tickets after that :lol:

It is ridiculous when you have to pay to park at your job. I can see students having to pay, but c'mon, you guys work there.

10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey they need the money so clowns like Mennigal can hire her friends as assistants to assistants and so forth. Got to get that "cash on hand" somewhere