PDA

View Full Version : What does Morgan's Campaign Manager think about Taser's?

09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. I wonder if Doc Ely thinks handguns shot at the interstate from Hilburn Apartments kill?

http://movementforchange.org/mediagallery/mediaobjects/orig/0/0_imga0838.jpg

09-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I dont know much about tasers, but where can I get one of those hats?

09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Why are the Mcnesby cronies wasting so much time attacking Morgan instead of Scapecchi?

Could it be they consider Scapecchi even less of a threat than Morgan?

09-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Where did you get your information? There is no Campaign Manager listed on the Morgan website. No wonder Ronnie caught the felony charges for writing that accident report. Did he order all you new contract employee bloggers to make stuff up? Did he really hire 10 of you to post? One for each star? Do you think anyone will believe your lies when all they need to do is click here? http://www.votedavidmorgan.com/contents/Contact.html

09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
You can change your website all you want. Did Doc "Tasers Kill", "My Son Was Framed" Ely know you demoted him on your website last night. Way to show that its you all along Craig with all these spam posts, cause you're the webmaster of his site and you changed it. No matter the truth is out there if you look hard enough. Who is the liar? The Morgan Supporters...again...

Doc Ely is either Morgan's Campaign Manager or he lied to a lot of important people, perhaps in a sworn affidavit. From Doc Ely's own mouth:

July 5, 2007
Gregory R. Miller
US. Attorney
21 E Garden St.
Pensacola, Fl. 32502
3080 Blue Star Ave. Pensacola, Fl. 3514 Phone (850) 478-9410 Eiypcola@,aoh corn
Ref:
Title 18, U.S.C. Section 241 Conspiracy Against Rights

On the evening of June the 2007 at approximately 8:20 PM as I left the Escambia County Republican Executive Committee meeting, Sheriff Ron McNesby accompanied by Lt. Rex Blackburn approached me in a darkened parking area. Sheriff McNesby came very close to me and made the following statements. “Doc, you dirty low life son of a *****. You need to stay out of my way”. I asked “Excuse me”? His response, “You better stay out of my way.”

I turned to walk away. At this time, Lt. Rex Blackburn made the statement, “Tell that lying son of a ***** you are working for that he needs to start telling the truth”

I am David Morgan’s Campaign Manager and the actions of these two likely armed men made it very clear to me that the threat was intended to distance me from supporting David Morgan’s campaign for sheriff. The fact that they approached me in a very aggressive manner and came extremely close to me physically left no doubt in my mind that they intended to do me harm. Their actions clearly violated my 1st Amendment Rights of free speech and freedom to assemble.

Witness information provided upon request. Doc Ely

Cc: Gov. Charlie Crist
Republican Party Chairman
Director FDLE
Florida Attorney General
State Attorney’s Office
Pensacola News Journal
WEAR TV Channel 3
U.S. Department of Justice
United States Attorney
Northern District of Florida
2] East Ga,den Street, Suite 400
Pensacola, Florida 32501-5603
Official Business
Penalty for Private Use $300
PS F C E IV[D fl A F F I F
r LL 0
lIc. Ii 00E

Seems now by changing the webiste, David Morgan is lying about who Doc Ely really is to him. Is that a suprise?

09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Those T-shirts are all wrong. They should say "Better Living with Electricity" or "Power to the People."

09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
We appreciate your reminder to the LEO Affairs readers about the alleged threats to Mr. Ely from Sheriff McNesby and Lt. Rex Blackburn at the REC meeting in late June. However your conclusions are without validity. The Morgan campaign, with the intention of avoiding conflict within the REC, decided to change Mr. Ely's status to "Advisor" in early July. This decision was also made to free up Mr. Ely to pursue potential legal action without direct impact on the campaign.

If you've seen Doc Ely at any campaign functions he wears an ID tag stating he is a campaign advisor. We have been seeking a campaign manager and will post that information on the votedavidmorgan.com website when that position is filled.

There have been no changes to the votedavidmorgan.com website for months other than updated photos and videos. The previous post that indicated that there is no campaign manager listed on the website was correct.

Thanks again for reminding us all how ECSO top management treats those with differing views.

09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Doc Ely....another malcontent that supports/works for the Morgan campaign...anyone really surprised?

09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Mr Craig...eventually your candidate and his campaign will have to attempt to tell the folks what the candidate/camapign has to offer instead of repeating political smears and making (unfounded) allegations against the current Sheriff...If Mr Morgan's recent comments (posted here) are reflective of his capabilities to be the Sheriff then perhaps your strategy is correct and don't allow the citizens to see Mr Morgan's/Campaign Staff's positions when he speaks facts don't seem to be important.

09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Having Ely as an advisor is actually concerns me more than him being a campaign manager.

As a Campaign Manager he simply managed the campaign. Day to day reporting, fundraising, public appearances. As an "Advisor" he may be giving ol' Thelbirt advice on everything. Tasers, spreading misinformation with the excuse of "confidential informants", what to do with wayward sons...who knows what he's advising him on...

And Thank You David Craig, for posting the link to Morgan's Campain Team. It speaks volumes that it is Morgan, You, and Ely, and no one else. That's who I want planning what to do with the ESO... :roll:

Who ever steps into the role I wish them luck. They have a broke, angry (according to the INWeekly), misinformed, misinforming, re-run of a candidate that is close to being non-rehabilitatable due to those he has surrounded himself with.

09-28-2007, 12:00 AM
And he's winning. Sheriff Morgan will have a wide field from which to choose subordinates. I'm sure he'll be seeking out your counsel.

09-28-2007, 01:19 AM
What exactly is he winning? Or do you mean whining?

09-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Maybe instead of wasting time defending who or who isn't the campaign manager, start answering the questions from the letter the PBA sent to you.

09-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Doc Ely....another malcontent that supports/works for the Morgan campaign...anyone really surprised?

Malcontents? Working for Morgan? Well at least his 'malcontents' don't
arrest and tase people. Is that what you'd call them? "Salaried
Malcontents?" With guns and badges?
Dix, Sullivan, Tolbrit, Coad, Frey, Vlack.......

Yes, once again, you hold the mirror up to society and the administration
and management at the ECSO STILL is found lacking.

Hell, give me the malcontents. At least I won't worry about getting the
hell beat out of me.

09-28-2007, 03:35 AM
Why is it that when valid questions are asked Morgan does the dance? Why is it that he can't answer questions straight forward and honest? For proof of this please read the PBA letter sent to him. I am not sure he actually answered any of the questions. Again, what does he have to hide other than where he is getting bogus campaign information and skewed numbers. Mr. Morgan, please man up and provide answers. Stop hiding behind BS lies. Again, just because someone doesn't support Morgan doesn't make them Mcnuggets. Most of us would like to see him go too.

09-28-2007, 05:32 AM
You can't discuss anything with these Morgan folks without them getting their panties in a bunch. They serve a purpose though since they will distract Ronnie Mac long enough to get Larry elected. Since Larry already has the unions endorsement in his back pocket and Morgan's continued outrageous statements, Larry already has this election sewn shut.

I can't wait for November 2008!

Scapecchi is going to make us proud to be deputies at the ECSO again.

09-28-2007, 07:52 AM
You really think so Larry?

09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
The PBA has backed losers (not derogatory) the last two sheriff elections. I hope they get this one right.

09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
So if Mr Morgan should be elected (sickening thought) but...if that were to happen...He's ready to declare there will never be any excessive force complaints...no deaths in the jails or on the streets...and will remove the tasers from officers?....Further Mr Morgan's administration will be 'corruption' free making no mistakes and he will be held to the same standards that should any error/mistake/criminal action will his direct responsibility and he should be held accountable even though the actions may be against his policies and guidelines?...Old saying may apply: If it sounds too good to be true it probably is....But please continue to spin..blame..and deflect direct questions as to how Mr Morgan will lead the sheriff's office into the land of perfection...

09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Morgan will deal with these issues in an appropriate way. That is the difference. For example, excessive force complaints won't result in an un recorded predetermination hearing. Allegation to termination in one easy step like McNesby has been doing recently while he brags about how many deputies he's fired. Deputies will have the rights that they deserve and will be given every opportunity to defend their positions.

09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
The only dance is your mouth. He's answered all of them and EVERYONE who has watched his videos knows that to be a fact. I invite you to watch them (again) yourself at his website. You obviously are suffering from lack of comprehension. Or is it that more sinister illness? The one where you are allergic to ethics, honor, and campaign laws? The disease that allows you to become corrupted like your associates and leaves you without a moral compass? That's a tougher one to cure. But now that the voters are aware of how sick the current administration is, they will fix it. And the damage that you do to your badge and what it represents will be repaired. With or without you. Which path would an honorable man choose?

09-28-2007, 04:48 PM
The only dance is your mouth. He's answered all of them and EVERYONE who has watched his videos knows that to be a fact. I invite you to watch them (again) yourself at his website. You obviously are suffering from lack of comprehension. Or is it that more sinister illness? The one where you are allergic to ethics, honor, and campaign laws? The disease that allows you to become corrupted like your associates and leaves you without a moral compass? That's a tougher one to cure. But now that the voters are aware of how sick the current administration is, they will fix it. And the damage that you do to your badge and what it represents will be repaired. With or without you. Which path would an honorable man choose?

He answered none of them. He attempted to answer the first one and failed miserably. The others he did not answer. That is a fact.

09-28-2007, 06:24 PM
So now Sheriff McNesby 'brags' about how many deputies he's fired?...Please you Morgan folks must have some solid proof of this correct?....No it was you that missed the point your candidate has been front and center on several issues in the news and has attempted to place the blame with the Sheriff...Now you're saying it's not the Sheriff's fault for the actions of some?...And that Mr Morgan would handle them the 'correct way'?...Just how many unjustified firings have occurred?...And you mean that Mr Morgan would have allowed some of the fired to continue to work?...And that's the correct way?....Again..instead of finding fault..placing blame..and making allegations perhaps it would be better if the Morgan camapign and its supporter (s) articulate what Mr Morgan would do....I believe he has attempted this and made himself out to be a fool that is not qualified to be the sheriff and his supporter(s) are left to spin what he said and continue to throw factless allegations rather than accept that Mr Morgan has no credibility...

09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
What does a failure of the Sheriff to follow fair and proper procedures have to do with whether a Morgan administration would still have some/all accused deputies employed? N O T H I N G. And how could that question be answered fairly since the deputies didn't have a proper airing of their positions? IT CAN"T. You are playing mind games without any interest in the truth. Your Sheriff McNesby will soon (officially) join his friend Touart in the unemployment line. I bet he finds it hard to get a job without a GED.

09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Answer the questions....I believe there were 7 of them.

09-28-2007, 10:39 PM
These questions:

The following are statements you have made in your videos that we would like to see evidence of:

1. You have stated that last year’s Escambia Sheriff’s Office budget was $73 million dollars and that in July of this year (2007) the budget will be $120 million dollars. We would like to see evidence of those numbers.

2. You stated that the Escambia Sheriff’s Office is offering hiring bonuses. We would like to see evidence of anyone who was offered or received a hiring bonus at the Sheriff’s office.

3. You said that there have been 15 deaths at the jail by other than natural means. We would like to see a list of those who have died at the jail and by what means they died.

4. You have stated that 19 people at the Sheriff’s Office make more than the governor of the State of Florida. We would like a list of those names along with the salaries of those persons as well as what figures you have for the governor’s salary.

5. You have stated that the county gave the Sheriff $6 million dollars for raises but most employees only received 2.3% raises. We would like to see the evidence that the Sheriff received $6 million dollars and a list of any employees who received less than a 5% raise.

6. You have stated that the Sheriff is spending $14.7 Million dollars on a new garage. We would like to see any evidence as to how much the new garage is going to cost.

7. You have stated that “Road Deputies” are being sent to the jail to fill manpower shortages. We would like the names of any such law enforcement officers.

09-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Actually those are the ones I was referring to. From my understanding Mr. Morgan told them that he had to find those numbers the hard way so the PBA was going to have to do the same. So, what liars should the PBA contact to get such skewed numbers? Don't you just like that dance around the truth? If the information was true he would have no problem stating what source he got this information from. I am not saying give a person's name, I want to know from what documentation these numbers have come from as would a lot of other people. Until this is known he will continue to be a liar in my book trying to spread hate and discontent to the non knowing public. You Morgan for Sheriff guys are having your day right now because the election campaigns have not even begun and no one is really going after your BS but I am afraid that Mr. Morgan may have shot his wad a little too early :shock:

09-29-2007, 10:34 PM
What a group of idiots. But thanks for the tip to go and check Morgan's
facts. Sorry admin, but he was giving you a break when quoting over $120M,
it actually comes up to a little over $133M (with the 08 Budget approval of
$86M), with the General Fund and the LOST III funding. What is your point?
Are you trying to convince someone (yourselves) that he made these numbers
up? They came from the Clerk of the Court!

And as for the other questions in the PBA letter? Thanks again! I haven't
watched all of them, but I have now. Let's see, did you conveniently or
selectively hear the phrases "unconfirmed?" "Sources have told us, but we
HAVE NOT confirmed." The man made "qualifying statements" in almost
everyone of the BS allegations you have made.

You know what's nagging at me? Why did the PBA send these questions to a
CANDIDATE? Did McNesby get the same questions? When is the last time you
gutless wonders sent out an email calling a special meeting titled "The
Problems with Ron McNesby?" Uh, try NEVER. Will there be any posting of
McNesby's responses?

Why is the union representation going after a candidate that has clearly and
consistently stated he is for the "rank and file?" Yet they remain silent
on a sheriff that refused for over 6 years to negotiate in good faith.

But you want us to buy into "fearing Morgan." Let's see; the man had the
balls to post not only the PBA letter, but his responses. The man has had
the balls to step-up and call McNesby what he is, unqualified. The man has
had the balls to honor the requests from the deps/cos to allow them to
remain anonymous. (Oh, that's right you have POLLED EVERY DEPUTY AND CO and
to a MAN AND WOMAN NONE of them wants MORGAN. What a crock.)

Oh, and he's only "smearing and not offering any answers or solutions?"
More Paintball and Penis BS. He has and is clearly articulating a platform.

This county has followed your plan and ways for generations. This mess was
created by you and your kind. Your BS is wearing thin. Allowing you "real
lawmen" to select the next sheriff only guarantees us more of the same.
"real lawmen = ECSO Admin."
Time for you and your kind to go. Have you listened to the public recently? You know.. the civilians. The overwhelming preponderance of those who constitute voters. They don't want you or your kind in our county anymore. You are walking remnants of a repeating nightmare. The county has awoken, thanks to you, and it's time for you to get some rest.

MOD 353
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Being that this site isn't run by a bunch of ECSO haters (they are actually in Tampa) I do not think our forum here is going to go away. I do agree that the hate and discontent needs to be on another website/forum which was designed for it. This site isn't pro anyone and no matter what I do I always end up getting accused of being biased. I am going to consult with the site staff here and get some suggestions. This is not a hate site and was never intended to be used as such. It was designed to be used by the members of the ECSO but I guess all of the anonymous posters feel they can do and say as they please here because they ruined their first website RMPT.

09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Unless a post is vulgar or outright libelous all post of all opinions should be allowed and uncensored, including the haters and the lovers of any particular person or subject. There are those of us who want to hear all sides of any issue pertaining to the Sheriffs Department including the pro’s and cons of all of all the candidates for the office of Sheriff and their supporters, regardless as to how many or how few.

The whole concept of a blogg is to allow open and robust dialogue about any subject and that includes anonymous dialogue if the writer for whatever reason wishes to remain anonymous.

If those who object to what is being written and don’t want to read the material, with the press of a button on a keyboard they can end seeing the material. For one to complain about what is being written and at the same time responds with their own opposing comments to what was written is hypocritical. All the responder is doing is acknowledging and recognizing that what the other writer has written is worthy of a response.

If you really don’t like or don’t agree what any writer has to say, ignore them. Sooner or later they’ll go away.

09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
funny how nice you can talk when you want to.

09-30-2007, 10:34 PM
It was designed to be used by the members of the ECSO -----.

Mod 353, where did you get it that the ECSO board was designed to be used only by the members of the ESCO? From what I’ve read that was not the only intent by the creators of LEOAFFAIRS. It’s obvious that all the Boards are sites that not only allow but encourage interaction between non law enforcement citizens and members of law enforcement agencies. It’s in those sites that citizens and officers from other agencies can express their thoughts, questions and opinions in total anonymity, and at times for good reason.

If members of the ECSO want to blogg in total privacy where only Certified Law Enforcement Officers can write material a board was recently created specifically for that purpose by LEOAFFAIRS. It’s titled “LEO’s lounge”. If members of the ECSO don’t want non law enforcement to be able to read or respond to what they blog they can use that site and there will have their privacy

MOD 353
09-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Reading comprehension is the key my friend. No where in my post will you see that I said "ONLY" for ECSO members. This site is supposed to be for constructive use and not bashing and that pertains to everyone.

09-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Back to the picture, it can be summed up by this old saying:

"Dime con quien to andas y te dires quien eres. "

10-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Mod. 453

What you may call “Bashing”, I may call it “expressing an uncomplimentary opinion”. What you may call “constructive use”, I may call it “a platform to express unpopular thoughts, ideas or suggestions”.

It would seem that you get your dander up more quickly when uncomplimentary words are written about one candidate for Sheriff’s race and remain mute when similar uncomplimentary words are written about another.

By certain words you’ve used in the past and recently, you’ve “suggested” that those posting un-constructive post anonymously are sinister and their post should not be taken seriously because they are anonymous. I remind you that you too are as much anonymous as any other anonymous poster. Until you post your real name and reveal your identity, you shouldn’t be questioning why any poster elects to remain anonymous.

You’re very quick to suggest that anyone who makes an anti post about McNesby or the way he administers the office is connected with the web site that did not hold back their distain for McNesby. Your previous statement, “--- I guess all of the anonymous posters feel they can do and say as they please here because they ruined their first website RMPT.” proves out that suggestion.

Just so you know, I don’t know anyone who had anything to do with the operation of that site as I didn’t learn of its existence until shortly before it disappeared from the net. I did read enough of it to know that most of the posts were authored by writers who had a very serious dislike for McNesby. Least you forget, it’s not required that only those who like him or who have complementary things to say about him and the way he does his sheriff duties are allowed to post on LEOAFFAIRS.

You mention Tampa as one of the sites where there is a lot of “bashing”. If you want to read some real bashing, go to the FHP, Sarasota, Hillsborourgh County boards just to name a few. You won’t read any thing from the moderators on those boards trying to stifle those who are posting their most uncomplimentary opinions or “non-constructive” thoughts about various persons in those agencies.

The very titles of this thread “What does Morgan's Campaign Manager think about Taser's?” was obviously started by an anti Morgan poster. The caption under the picture posted was also deliberately written to suggest Morgans supporters are all a bunch not worthy of listening to. The photo posted, the caption with the picture about shooting into the building was not “constructive and nothing about the very beginning of the thread was constructive.

Yet you remained mute until those who are Morgan supporters retorted to some of the same tactics in what they posted and started posting critical and “un-constructive” post about McNesby and his supporters. The whole thread has been one bashing after another of Morgan and his supporters for the last four days. You let those four days go without so much of a whimper from you. Four days later you interject your iron fist on suggesting you’re going to shut it down because of the bashing that recently started about McNesby.

If you don’t want to be thought of as being biased, don’t be.

PS:
To the last poster who wrote “Dime con quien to andas y te dires quien eres.” .
You’re right ,
“A man is known by the company he keeps” and that applies to both sides.

10-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Here's the difference. Feel free to post stuff about McNesby good and bad. Feel free to post about Morgan good and bad. Then we can feel free to respond ala David Craig saying Doc Ely is no longer the camapign manager or other rational comments. Where I feel it crosses the line is is the quoted poster who adds nothing to either side. Calling people Penis, *****, etc. and posting nothing new verges on, if not is, spamming.

Morgan et al. puts out his videos continuously slamming McNesby calling him a felon, a liar, a good ole boy, a criminal, etc etc etc. I could care less. What is funny is someone calls morgan into question and you try to scream them out. I think it's extremely important that deputies are aware that Morgan's (ex?) campain manager is of the opinion that tasers kill. Obviously it is a powerful picture or Craig and other Morgan supporters wouldn't be so upset over it. Think about it. Morgan's campaign manager is wearing a shirt that says "Taser's Kill" at a movement for change rally with guest speakers of ACLU Susan Watson, Tasee Martha Bledsoe, the Boggon Family, Arety Seivers, and Omar Neal (Radio talk show host of You Got The Power). One of the key criticisms of Morgan is the company he keeps. The picture is very germain to the issues and campaign.

10-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Guest, your writing style is very close to that used by Mod353, hmmmmm.

In any case whoever you are, based on your comments you apparently are a McNesby supporter, which is your right. And yes the “we” you’re referring to have the right to post whatever you want about Craig as he is obviously a Morgan supporter. Likewise, in fairness, the Morgan supporters have the same rights and just because you or the “we” don’t like what is posted even if it is “slamming” as you define it.

After all politics has been proven to basically be a slam contest and boils down who can out slam the other. I don’t know of many elections that have been won by a candidate only saying good and complementary things about his opponent.

McNesby and everything he has done, not done, hired, not hired, fired and anything to do with the operation of the Sheriffs department as well as everything pertaining to his personal life are open for all to discuss or post. Cases in point, his past arrest records, his educational record, and any statements he’s made such as “women don’t read the news” are all fair game. He gave up personal privacy when he ran for the office and he now lives in a glass house. Likewise applies to Morgan.

To a big degree, the same rules apply to those who are directly involved in either of their campaigns thus the original posting about Elys shirt is fair game. Likewise, the Morgan supporters who countered by posting their comments are subject to the same rules. If they place their self in the limelight and in the public arena by their support then they too are fair game for comments, even uncomplimentary ones, to be posted about them. The campaign for who will be the next sheriff is one of the most important decision made every four years at the Sheriffs Department and the employees of the Department and citizens have a right and a responsibility to express their opinions about that subject, even if their opinion is a slammer or anonymous.

You are correct to note that Morgan can be judge by the company he keeps, same can be said about McNesby.

It was said best a long time ago, “If any of them don’t like the heat, get out of the kitchen”.

10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
ditto

MOD 353
10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
If I had something to say to you I would have. I don't care if you talk bad about McNesby or Morgan but this site will remain professional. You have never observed me to get upset when anyone has said negative comments about the current sheriff and again you are trying to use tactics that were used on the RMPT website. If someone is not for you they are against you. Is that how it is? I remember not too long again I took it upon myself to ask Morgan questions directly and then posted the responses on this site and boy did it label me as a Morgan supporter because guess what, the responses weren't what the other side wanted to hear. Opinions are like A-holes and everybody has one but please post your opinions wisely and in a constructive manner.

One other thing, I am given a great amount of discretion with Modding this site and if you don't like it you can go post hate and discontent elsewhere. I really don't care what you think your opinions may mean to you. If your only reason is to come here and spread rumors, lies or cause trouble you will not be posting here much longer. I have no political affiliation and have made no comments or posts that say I have.

10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm a little lost by this whole thread - several ME's in the country have ruled that Tasers either were the main cause, or a contributing cause, to a number of deaths . What's the big deal about the shirt ? Didn't McNesby restrict the use of Tasers and change the guidelines just because of these same rulings ?

10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I agree. Morgan should wear that shirt during his next misinfomercial.

10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Now. now, don't be posting hateful comments only meant to stir up trouble! :(

10-03-2007, 01:07 AM
I am reminded of a story from WWII about a general who noticed that some American officers had picked up the British habit of carrying a swagger stick - the general put out an order that read "Those of you who feel the need to carry a swagger stick, do so". The next day there wasn't an American in sight carrying one.

Same goes for Tasers.

You guys who feel the need of having one, do so. Me, I'll just use good police work instead.

10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Obviously posted by a non LEO. Would you rather shoot someone? The taser, when used correctly, is an excellent tool.

10-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Nope, a LEO - you must be the non-LEO if you think that absent a Taser your only other option is to shoot someone.

Or just poorly trained. Not your fault.

10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Answer the questions....

Optimus Prime
10-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I don’t know about all of you but I’m getting sick of hearing this controversy over these Tasers. The Taser works and it’s an effective tool for law enforcement officers. But when someone dies the public wants to cry foul on the Officer / Department that used it. The public needs to become educated on how the Tasers works and how the Taser does save lives of both the Officers and Suspects. I have yet to read or see anything that proves that a suspect or person has died from just being Tased. I have been Tased several times during training and on the road and I’m still here just fine. The truth is these people that have died, already had a medical condition or were high on some type of narcotic substance. I can only assume that the public would prefer Law Enforcement Officers to send a suspect to the hospital or shoot them when there was a tool that would not harm the suspect but immobilized the suspect for a few seconds. I guess it’s more acceptable that an officer dies. I have never seen the public cry out when an Officer(s) is killed in the line of duty as much as they do when someone has died from being Tased or just Tased and taken to jail.

Some of the problem lies with the Department administrators who should be backing the Officers who have used their Tasers in the correct way and within the guidelines of the department and not give in the public pressure. We all need to stand up for what’s right for Law Enforcement. The bottom line is the suspect(s) dictate our (Law Enforcements) response, if you don’t want to be Tased then comply with the officer, really it’s that simple.

Now, has there been officer’s that have miss used their Tasers “yes” and they should be disciplined for the miss use of their Taser, take each case on a case to case basis.

Link to the Taser research web site below:

http://www.taser.com/research/Pages/default.aspx

10-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Good post Optimus Prime!

10-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Those of us who were around in the late 50’s and early 60’s, know that a “Blackjack” was the weapon commonly used against unruly prisoners who were violent rather than pumping them full of lead. This was also the era when mostly men of large stature were hired to be cops and very few citizens resisted. The smaller officers made up for size by carrying a 6 oz blackjack at all times. Perps. who were big themselves who tried to resist would suffer a big headache the next day for days after.

Naturally there were some who suffered brain damage by concussion and some even died as a result of the blows receive.

In the cases of death a full investigations was undertaken usually by a coroner’s inquest and at time by a Grand Jury. Most of the time the officer was vindicated in the use based on the violent resistance by the perp.

Still public sentiment often questioned the killing of a human being over what often started as a misdemeanor arrest, family disturbance, common drunk, etc.

In the 70’s the chemical sprays like pepper spray came on the market and most if not all agencies outlawed officers from using blackjacks against arrestees.

The problem was the sprays sometime worked and sometime they didn’t and sometimes they worked on the very officers who were using it, especially when the wind suddenly blew it back in the officer(s) face. I remember one case where two officers were trying to subdue a suspect who was violently resisting having the cuffs put on. One officer had shifted his position behind the suspect and had hold of him from that position while the second was trying to get control from the front. The officer in the front, pulled out his pepper spray, aimed it directly at the face of the perp. and just as he pulled the trigger to release the spray, the suspect suddenly twisted to the side so that the office in the rear took the full blast of the spray. It completely blinded and incapacitated him, leaving the front officer to fend for himself. Fortunately for both of the officers, the suspect had a sense of humor and started laughing so hard that the front officer was able to cuff him without any further resistance.

The sprays sometime also caused deaths if the person had a serious respiratory problem or some other medical condition that made him or her too sensitive to the chemicals used in the spray. This caused the search for another alternative to be used in lieu of using the old standby of pumping someone full of lead to subdue them.

Thanks to ingenuity, some inventor perfected the concept of shocking a suspect into submission and the taser weapon is the result.

Yes, unfortunately there will be some deaths due to their use, but as Optimus Prime mentioned in his post the taser works and it is an effective tool for officers. As long as a person who is being lawfully arrested resists that arrest, that person is risking dying while resisting. The sooner the public learns that they risk death by resisting a lawful arrest, the sooner fewer deaths will be recorded.

Unfortunately the only method to use against those being arrested who have lost all sense of reality and reasoning is to expose them to that risk. The only other alternative is to expose an officer to an un-necessary risk himself by suggesting that he or she has to play by some queens rules of hand to hand combat. They’re not paid enough for that.

My vote is to issue every officer a taser and let the resisting criminal have a choice if he wants to resist, to be shot with a 9MM or take a hit with a taser.