PDA

View Full Version : Sumter county sheriff

09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Does anybody have any info on the Sumter SO, other than the basics on their site? How is morale, equipment, ect...?

I would post it on their site if they had one, but figured some of you might of had some interaction with them since your next door. Thanks for the help!

09-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Use caution if youre looking into Sumter. I work on the east side, and have had several dealings with them for calls that originated around the county line. I don't know if it is a morale problem, or a laziness problem, or just an ignorance problem, but I have seen some issues with how their deputies handle things. (although I have met one or two good ones)

On one incident, I saw one of them totally blow off a witness (an essential witness), and they tried to send him away before the actual invesigator got there. They didnt even get this guys info before they sent him off, and he was critical to the case. I had to get his info and get it to the investigator myself so their case could proceed.

On many occasions I have gotten with Sumter various deputies either for transports across the county line, or for calls where the crime originated in their county. Generally, they seem very put out when they respond, and they act as if you interrupted something very important (like
naptime).

I have seen officer safety issues too.

Either I have just had bad luck with Sumter, or there really is an issue.

So good luck on your job search. If I were you, I would go on a few ride alongs with Sumter before you apply. Maybe it will save you some time.

09-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks man, it would be a real big pay cut, but I'm looking for the rural atmosphere that Sumter provides. Any other info will be appreciated.

09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
If youre looking for a rural atmosphere, be careful about going to Sumter. While a large portion of the county is rural, it is slowly getting taken over by The Villages. If you havent heard of the Villages, you will soon. It is a huge retirement community for snooty old people. They have the voting power and they are very loud and persistent about getting their way.

If you like catering to the whims of spoiled retired voters, then apply for Sumter and request that they assign you to the Villages zone. I'm sure that the spot will be open. God help you.

Anyway, Good luck with the job search. My best advice to you is to get a ride-along with Sumter to scope it out.