View Full Version : A True Leader

09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
http://tbo.com/video/xml/MGBDCKNPJ6F.html

Gee Makes Road Patrols Part Of His Job
By Mike Wells of The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 14, 2007

Sheriff Makes Arrest |
Video: Sheriff Discusses Arrest
TAMPA - Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee says it's important to him that residents and deputies know he has not become an out-of-touch desk jockey since taking office in January 2005.

That's why he sometimes leaves behind the paperwork on his desk in his Ybor City office, gets behind the wheel of his unmarked patrol car and takes to the streets and county roads.

On Saturday night he stopped the driver of an all-terrain vehicle that he said was going about 75 mph on Lithia Pinecrest Road, a 45 mph zone. Thomas Jerry Hoffman, 22, was wearing an "I'm working on my six-pack" T-shirt, and Gee arrested him on charges of driving under the influence after Gee said he smelled alcohol on Hoffman's breath.

Because Gee is the arresting officer and might have to testify in court, he said, he cannot publicly discuss the specifics of that arrest.

However, Gee did agree to answer questions about why he continues to patrol the county and make arrests.

Tribune: How often do you do this kind of thing?

Gee: Every day that I can finish up in the office early, I go out [on patrol]. It's really important for the officers to see that. For me, you sit in that office for some time and you can get isolated. Law enforcement has changed over the years since I was a regular patrol deputy, and they're dealing with a lot more people who are working against them. To be out there, you really see what they're dealing with. From the standpoint of the kind of complaints they respond to, you just get a better understanding of the real world.

Tribune: You've been known to send out the occasional e-mail from your Blackberry to staff members at 3 a.m., and you seem to always be on the job. When do you sleep?

Gee: [Chuckles] I don't sleep much anyway. I get so many phone calls in the evening, and they're often not the kind of calls you can go to sleep right after. Usually, when I get a call, something not good has happened.

I sometimes think that working an 11 a.m. or 12 p.m. to midnight or 1 a.m. shift would work better for me. I don't really mind working in the evening.

Tribune: How do you keep physically fit and stay on top of the training other deputies go through annually?

Gee: I take the general qualifications and whatever subject matter is being taught for that year.

The state has physical-fitness guidelines [for officers] and we have our own called the "challenge." It's a 2 1/2-mile run at the training facility with exercise stations. There's a 5 1/2 foot wall climb at the end of it. … As my age progresses, though, it does become more and more difficult to complete it.

Tribune: What is your best time for the challenge?

Gee: I think last year I did it in 23 or 24 minutes.

Tribune: How often do you make arrests?

Gee: I write tickets fairly frequently, and I make several arrests a year. Usually, at least one or two. More often than not, though, any person I end up stopping, another deputy conducts the field sobriety tests.

Tribune: Your son is graduating soon from the Florida Highway Patrol academy. Does continuing to be an active sheriff and making arrests set an example for him?

Gee: Yes. We've talked about it some, and we'll be talking more after he graduates next week.
If you don't like that part of the job – road patrol, which I think is the heartbeat of the organization – then you'll have a hard time being an effective sheriff.

Reporter Mike Wells can be reached at (813) 259-7839 or

09-21-2007, 02:26 AM
What are you saying??? The administration at TIAPD interacts with the officers. What else would you call the last but chewing you received for some silly arse reason or the scowl the chief gave you in the hallway as he passed you like you were something he just wiped off his shoe. Furthermore, I'm quite sure the chief or a/c would take that sig 68 or open door call if they weren't buisy with...well...ahhh...hmmmm.. oh, nevermind.