PDA

View Full Version : Negotiation update

09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
All off-duty members should show up at cit hall on Tuesday the 18th we will meet in the parking lot on the west side of city hall. As for negotiations there are no new updates. We are scheduled to meet with the City on the 19th but they have yet to put any real money on the table or address our issues with the pension.

09-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Good luck tonight. Let us know how everything goes.

09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
To those who showed up last night I appreciate it. Remember we are negotiating a contract for everyone and everyone needs to be involved. For those who did not show up and were not working there is no excuse. Remember your union is only as strong as it's members. There will be a full disclosure of where we are in negotiations at next tuesdays general meeting. For those of you who are spreading the rumor that I will "sell out" to get promoted I don't think I would have made the statements I made last night if this were the case. But then again I'm sure the people spreading the rumors weren't there last night to here it.

09-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Soooooooo the city offers:

NO Cola
FRS Pension for all new members
City take over of details

Ouch

09-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Soooooooo the city offers:

NO Cola
FRS Pension for all new members
City take over of details

Ouch

You guys are doomed.. Don't take it fight, Fight and FIGHT... If not we will be screwed next... It's bleak for all LEOs in south florida..

09-27-2007, 02:35 AM
What crap!

09-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Good job Jack on the radio today. Wish you could have been on longer.

09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
What happened?

10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
AM radio WIOD Saturday morning first had Nick Navaro on who said he wasn't on because he was running for sheriff but because he wanted to show support for the FLPD. He said the commission has not been doing well by the officers. Then Jack came on and said that the dept is in a mess quoting the number of people who left to retire and the number of people who left to go to other agencies. He said it was all the city commission's fault. That we can't be the well respected agency we once were when we're the lowest paid PD in the county. He did what he could with the 60 seconds they gave him.

10-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Why arent you guys working to the rule ?

10-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Why arent you guys working to the rule ?What does "working to the rule" mean in English?

10-02-2007, 03:01 PM
We now are working with no contract. All you eager beavers and newbies need to recognize that fact AND WORK THAT WAY!

10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Why arent you guys working to the rule ?What does "working to the rule" mean in English?
If the dispatcher wants you to respond to a call she'll call you; stop asking "what are you holding?" and stop volunteering for anything you're not sent to (obviously emergency backups are excluded). If the assignment requires a backup, get one sent and wait for him before you respond. If not but you feel a backup would be helpful, ask for one. Don't clear your call until you are finished with it; that includes paperwork, turning in evidence, etc. The quota is a ticket a day; that's what they get. Warning tickets are a nice way to meet the quota without alienating the taxpayer we may need in our corner. Arrests should be a last resort, not the first. You are not there to supply meaningless arrest stats to a Chief who has turned his back on us. They simply give him more dots on his damned graph he shows everyone while he's telling them "keep up the good work it's not going unnoticed". The Speed limit is for us as well as for citizens. Follow up phone calls should be done from a substation or the station; the department took a way zone phones to save money, forcing you to use your personal phone for department business. Everything you do should require a case number. If you patrol a parking lot, assist with a DAV, etc., it should all be documented with an MI card. Nothing here is meant to put anyones life in danger, but the freebies and cooperation with the city and our administration (that's redundant) MUST STOP! THEY HAVE CHOSEN THIS ROUTE, NOT US, AND WE BETTER SHOW UNITY IN OUR RESPONSE!

10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
The last post is exactly right! Ask yourself when the last time the department showed you ANY kind of suuport. Ask your self what they want and then what you want. You come first and they need to find that out. Do your jobs but don't do theirs for them. We need more officers than they will admit. We need to have equal pay and benefits to our peers in other agencies. They don't care about you! Its time to STOP DOING MORE WITH LESS. Make them keep up!

miamiheat
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Wasn't there another meeting with the city last night?

10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
O.K., what exactly is going on with the negotiations? Why aren't we working to the rule? Why aren't we doing a work slow down? How come nothing official is coming from the union?

I understand that the union leadership is dissatisfied with the turn out at union meetings, along with the turn out at the budget meeting. I also understand that them members are fed up with being kept in the dark. We can only hear that "we're doing things behind the scenes" for so long. I think the presentation on the statistics to the H.O.A.'s is great, but it was long over due.

I don't think that we are going to get a fare and equitable contract with out the H.O.A.'s help or without the help of business owners. Are we tapping these resources? Do the H.O.A.'s and the business owners know that if our contract is a bust that it will directly affect them? Not because we "threaten" to work to the rule but because there will be really no cops left to protect them. Hell, there are really no cops now!

I think that if we had H.O.A. members and business owners standing with us, outside, at the budget meeting, it would have had a greater impact on the city. Right now we look like a bunch of cry babies. If we had positive citizen support and alot of it, then that would make a statement to the city. Without it, we get a 3,2,2, loose our details, loose our arbitration, and etc. or we get a contract imposed on us. I'm no longer optimistic. At this point I think we are sunk. I hope I'm wrong because this place really sucks. I can't imagine it getting worse. It will though!!

If we do work to the rule it should be not oly because of the contract but the excessive disipline for nonsense, the stupid and inane "action plans/directed patrol," and because morale just plain sucks.

This, however, is a double edged sword because if we do this we hurt the H.O.A.'s and the business owners, which will in-turn give us less support.

And another thing...
Gretsas' leadership style is the equivalent to that of how Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned to the ground. Why is this not being exposed?
He has made promises to the citzens that have gone unkept. A person was killed on 8 Ave. in 206 zone because he ordered us out of there. Where are the tapes of the 66ed calls? Why haven't they been released to the media?

It seems everything just goes to the wayside and is forgotten about. The city is $768 million into a $555 million budget to fix the pipes or plumbing... I don't know. Whatever is being done that requires every road in the city to be torn up at once. This alone is killing business off of the west end of Davie Blvd. I know for a fact that the business owners are not happy about this. Some have filed for bankruptcy. The City is $24 million short for the new fire stations. The list goes on and on.

This guys incompetence is blatant but he and staff are so good a P.R. that they come out smelling like roses. Where the hell is our P.R. department? We are too reactive. The best defense is a good offense.

And I haven't forgotten...
Woohoo, $3.5 million for cameras in the patrol cars. Hey George why not use that money to create a full time booking facility. You know to be more efficiant that way we can arrest more people. Hire a full time booking staff!!! Or give us rifles. You know, something useful, a tint meter or another "Domestic Violence" Stamp for write up. We're only down to one stamp and it only says "Domestic" on it. Throw us a bone!!!

Buy more 32-38 mens pants!!! Mine are almost see-thru!!! How about car that can spend more time on the road that in the garage!!!

The camera cars won't happen. We can barely get the MDT's to work right. We have the D.L. swipe machines that have been sitting in the basement for years. The cameras will sit in boxes next to the D.L. swipe machines. I just hope we dont run out of room down there.

I do think our union reps are working for us. I know they have a tough job. I just needed to vent... alot.

O.K., I'm done and tired. Feel free to make snide comments. :twisted:

10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
An official un official ruling needs to be called for already! Why are they waiting ?

10-04-2007, 11:59 PM
We need to go to BSO, now that kenne 's gone who cares lets go, pay nothing to the retirement thats a 7% raise right there, new cars computers and work to the rule year round to avoid p.c. (ia).

10-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Yea and work 5 days a week....NOT!

10-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Do you even know what work to the rule means? I think there are only about ten of left who actually have done it.

10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
It's time to go to BSO!

The Union exists to protect and advance the cause of the membership. A vote for BSO is long overdo. An overwhelming majority of cops will vote for it now, things are that bad, and getting much worse!

Only fools ignore history. The history of contract negotiations has been with cops waiting till the last minute, not fighting, until its too late and the city forces a big turd down our throats. City hall has not invested in the PD in years, neither has the top PD management for that matter. History will repeat itself, wait and see.

HOA's can only do so much, and they quickly forget about the cops. Most of the taxpayers are busy just going to work everyday and paying their bills ontime, like us, and don't have a real concern what our contract is. The city has been effective at making us out to be overpaid, highly pensioned, public servants. The PD feeds them false information, manipulates crime numbers, rattles of BS stats from BS action plans. Why should they care?

Want to know what is really happening? GET OFF YOU BUTTS, GO DOWN TO RECORDS, AND ASK FOR THE ARREST NUMBERS FROM (PICK ONE) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2001, AND COMPARE THEM TO 2005, 2006, AND SEE THE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN ARRESTS FOR YOURSELVES! Arrests are up, crime is down, where is Mayo doing a real investigation when you need him? (please feel free to let him know to look into it).

Lets go BSO. Everyone would get to lateral over their seniority and rank, except for those upstairs who deserve what they get for assisting in the ruination of the formerly best department in FL. Take your 7% raise for not having to contribute into the pension, and that lovely 3.5% COLA. If BSO doesn't treat you better, you get to leave and take the pension to another department in a better area of FL.

Work to the rule? That is mostly being done now with little effect. Arrests are down 50% from a few years ago and that is covered up. What are you guys possibly going to do with the exception of BSO that is going to change anything for you at this point? The city will quickly turn a formal slow down even more against you with effective cop slander....scum are better at that type of thing than we are, history again. The reduction in arrests will be made public at some point, and the city would love to point at a slow down and blame it on the Union. The Union should point it out first and blame it properly on them.

Every department in FL needs cops. It is a cops market and will continue to be as the citizen base is now more trashy than ever before. Lauderdale does not deserve us, its time to move on! The state pension plan lets us do that. Only fools are voluntarily held hostage!

10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
BSO has their own problems. They, as far as I know, still don't have a contract either and they are also in the middle of a union battle.

If we go to BSO we'll do everything with half, just like they do. Say we go to BSO, what would stop them from taking 100 Lauderdale cops and dispersing them through out the county to fill in where they are short? Nothing.

Then the people that they leave in our city will have to work even harder because we have 100 less people. Oh, and don't forget the 5/8 work shift.

You talk about looking at history, every department that has gone to BSO has regreted it. Most are screaming to have their own P.D.s again. They're morale isn't much better than ours.

Going to BSO would be the biggest mistake we could make.

10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
BSO has their own problems. They, as far as I know, still don't have a contract either and they are also in the middle of a union battle.

If we go to BSO we'll do everything with half, just like they do. Say we go to BSO, what would stop them from taking 100 Lauderdale cops and dispersing them through out the county to fill in where they are short? Nothing.

Then the people that they leave in our city will have to work even harder because we have 100 less people. Oh, and don't forget the 5/8 work shift.

You talk about looking at history, every department that has gone to BSO has regreted it. Most are screaming to have their own P.D.s again. They're morale isn't much better than ours.

Why is another union making inroards against the PBA? Deps unhappy with their current representation? Gee Whiz, the PBA took over from the FOP.....now that is history.

Were already working with half. Our city should have at least 650 cops for its size, instead we really have around 400 actually working.

Our cops have been working harder for years......and compensated much less for it. 5/8's is coming just around the corner, soon as the current chief resigns.

Ask Sklar how much he regrets going, not!

If the city did regret letting us go, at least they would learn the error of their ways and pay MILLIONS to get the PD back. A big expensive lesson. Maybe then they would treat us a little better.

10-05-2007, 06:34 PM
5/8's is coming just around the corner

And you think a lot of people are leaving now? If they pulled that, I wouldn't doubt the #'s fall to the 300's.......

miamiheat
10-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Yea and then they will just keep the rookies coming...what a great source of backup

10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
If the "people" in charge keep treating us they way they are we won't need a bad contract to leave. We will all be praying for a BSO merger if this keeps up. Those in charge have forgotten where they came from and what they did when they were on our level.

10-07-2007, 03:52 AM
It's time to go to BSO!

The Union exists to protect and advance the cause of the membership. A vote for BSO is long overdo. An overwhelming majority of cops will vote for it now, things are that bad, and getting much worse!

Only fools ignore history. The history of contract negotiations has been with cops waiting till the last minute, not fighting, until its too late and the city forces a big turd down our throats. City hall has not invested in the PD in years, neither has the top PD management for that matter. History will repeat itself, wait and see.

HOA's can only do so much, and they quickly forget about the cops. Most of the taxpayers are busy just going to work everyday and paying their bills ontime, like us, and don't have a real concern what our contract is. The city has been effective at making us out to be overpaid, highly pensioned, public servants. The PD feeds them false information, manipulates crime numbers, rattles of BS stats from BS action plans. Why should they care?

Want to know what is really happening? GET OFF YOU BUTTS, GO DOWN TO RECORDS, AND ASK FOR THE ARREST NUMBERS FROM (PICK ONE) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2001, AND COMPARE THEM TO 2005, 2006, AND SEE THE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN ARRESTS FOR YOURSELVES! Arrests are up, crime is down, where is Mayo doing a real investigation when you need him? (please feel free to let him know to look into it).

Lets go BSO. Everyone would get to lateral over their seniority and rank, except for those upstairs who deserve what they get for assisting in the ruination of the formerly best department in FL. Take your 7% raise for not having to contribute into the pension, and that lovely 3.5% COLA. If BSO doesn't treat you better, you get to leave and take the pension to another department in a better area of FL.

Work to the rule? That is mostly being done now with little effect. Arrests are down 50% from a few years ago and that is covered up. What are you guys possibly going to do with the exception of BSO that is going to change anything for you at this point? The city will quickly turn a formal slow down even more against you with effective cop slander....scum are better at that type of thing than we are, history again. The reduction in arrests will be made public at some point, and the city would love to point at a slow down and blame it on the Union. The Union should point it out first and blame it properly on them.

Every department in FL needs cops. It is a cops market and will continue to be as the citizen base is now more trashy than ever before. Lauderdale does not deserve us, its time to move on! The state pension plan lets us do that. Only fools are voluntarily held hostage!

The 5/8's are coming as soon as City Hall tells this spineless Chief to do it. It'll be soon. You all seem to think that we can vote BSO in; I doubt Gretsas and the city commission want to give up control of the P.D. so its a moot point. And as far as working to the rule goes, it needs to be done before we're at impasse, not after as an obvious reaction to it. And there's lots of rat-b@st@rds that are plugging along picking up the slack so stat-wise the administration can balance the numbers and make everything look just fine. You think so many guys are going to show the fortitude to pick up and leave when the 5/8's come? Think again; they don't have the fortitude to resist the impulse to make themselves look good on the stat sheets even though it's at everyone else's expense. And what happens when they threaten the take home cars? Are we going to fold? We all better put are game faces on; give them the minimum, volunteer nothing, and stick together.

10-07-2007, 02:59 PM
How come the "Harsh Realities" handout given to everybody at the last meeting is not available to be seen on FOP Lodge 31's Website so anybody can log on and view it?

It would also be a good idea to hand out small business cards with the Fort Lauderdale - LEOAFFAIRS FORUM - website address on it to all the members so more people would post.

10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Last meeting was the first one I'd missed in a year (of course), so I missed this "harsh realities" handout. What was that all about?

10-14-2007, 02:29 PM
If the dispatcher wants you to respond to a call she'll call you; stop asking "what are you holding?" and stop volunteering for anything you're not sent to (obviously emergency backups are excluded). If the assignment requires a backup, get one sent and wait for him before you respond. If not but you feel a backup would be helpful, ask for one. Don't clear your call until you are finished with it; that includes paperwork, turning in evidence, etc. The quota is a ticket a day; that's what they get. Warning tickets are a nice way to meet the quota without alienating the taxpayer we may need in our corner. Arrests should be a last resort, not the first. You are not there to supply meaningless arrest stats to a Chief who has turned his back on us. They simply give him more dots on his damned graph he shows everyone while he's telling them "keep up the good work it's not going unnoticed". The Speed limit is for us as well as for citizens. Follow up phone calls should be done from a substation or the station; the department took a way zone phones to save money, forcing you to use your personal phone for department business. Everything you do should require a case number. If you patrol a parking lot, assist with a DAV, etc., it should all be documented with an MI card. Nothing here is meant to put anyones life in danger, but the freebies and cooperation with the city and our administration (that's redundant) MUST STOP! THEY HAVE CHOSEN THIS ROUTE, NOT US, AND WE BETTER SHOW UNITY IN OUR RESPONSE!

Great post, but isn't this the same thing the FOP was asking back in 2003 & 2004, why didn't you listen back then? Wise up folks!

10-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I've given up on Fort Lauderdale, I'm holding steady until the bottom falls out or we get taken over........I would gladly go to F.H.P. with a 10 percent pay cut just to spit in the cities eye......it's coming, the end is near.

10-21-2007, 01:51 AM
We will miss you. Good luck at FHP

10-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Wow he can't wait to leave but he is still here. Hmmmmmmm

10-22-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm so glad I left that sinking ship known as FLPD. Things are much better here at Boca PD. We still have 15 openings if any of you guys want a good place to work.

10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm so glad I left that sinking ship known as FLPD. Things are much better here at Boca PD. We still have 15 openings if any of you guys want a good place to work.

Have the Boca Recuiter come to the next Disunion Meeting. All he has to do is clear it with Jack first, who at this point probably would not mind.

Boca needs 15 Officers? Is that all? Can they take even more of us, maybe take the first 15 and then next 50 on a standby list or something?

Let us know1

10-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Boca currently has 15 openings and some current people are close to retirement. We have a take home car policy from the city limits south to Commercial Blvd, as far west as you want and north to Lantana Road in Palm Beach. Come up and do a ride along or talk to some of the FLPD officers that have come up already. A guy named Perez from FLPD just finished FTO, says its day and night difference from FLPD.

10-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Why is everybody throwing this guys name around, wasnt he that good looking muscular guy that rode the ATV on the beach. Another quality officer that left the dept., he was the next best thing and he slipped through our fingers. Im sure he wishes us all the best and did what was best for him, but it would have been something to see this guys career flourish

10-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Yea and then they will just keep the rookies coming...what a great source of backup

You have no idea how lucky you are, even in the midst of all the issues. Try working for other departments in the country. Your idea of bad pay is a joke. Your retirement is superb as it is, compared to 99% of other agencies across the country. With an attitude like yours, your rookies will end up as your superior.

Nice attitude you have for the rookies who will be taking over your job because you run to another agency. Nice example.

10-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Is the Perez guy everyone keeps talking about Al Perez???? The guy with the blond hair and big ears???

10-27-2007, 02:16 AM
Or is it Rick Perez. The current chief of Wilton Manors. I hear they have some openings.

10-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I think they are all talkng about that handsome, young, muscular guy Eric Perez that cleaned up the beach.

10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Or is it Rick Perez. The current chief of Wilton Manors. I hear they have some openings.

And better pay with a 3% retirement COLA.

10-27-2007, 01:52 PM

You have no idea how lucky you are, even in the midst of all the issues. Try working for other departments in the country. Your idea of bad pay is a joke. Your retirement is superb as it is, compared to 99% of other agencies across the country. With an attitude like yours, your rookies will end up as your superior.

Nice attitude you have for the rookies who will be taking over your job because you run to another agency. Nice example.

We do not work in other parts of the country, we work here in Broward County so there is no comparison to 99% nationwide who have differnet housing markets, competitive pay, and standards of living. FLPD is compared to the other local departments in the South Florida area. Compared to other local Tri-County PD's FLPD has major internal issues like staffing and retention, morale, low wages and benefits, so it is not a joke!

It is not the Officers fault for leaving to new agencies to bet their professional working and salary conditions, it is FLPD's managements fault, and that of the City Mananager and Commissioners, so take your management speel and choke on it!

10-27-2007, 06:48 PM

We do not work in other parts of the country, we work here in Broward County so there is no comparison to 99% nationwide who have differnet housing markets, competitive pay, and standards of living. FLPD is compared to the other local departments in the South Florida area. Compared to other local Tri-County PD's FLPD has major internal issues like staffing and retention, morale, low wages and benefits, so it is not a joke!

It is not the Officers fault for leaving to new agencies to bet their professional working and salary conditions, it is FLPD's managements fault, and that of the City Mananager and Commissioners, so take your management speel and choke on it!

Actually....it's mostly "new" guys that are the ones actually leaving. I think we lost 2 more this week....one still on probation.

10-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Please..couldnt wait to get rid of that guy... and now were gonna apply to work for him again? NOT. You guys have major issues. Get off our site and go back to yours.

10-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Please..couldnt wait to get rid of that guy... and now were gonna apply to work for him again? NOT. You guys have major issues. Get off our site and go back to yours.

Hey, Wilton Manors!!! You have your own forum. Use it and leave ours alone. You are the ones that are stuck with that disgusting corupt piece of S%#T not us so goodbye and good riddance.

10-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Eric Perez was so hot! I use to love to watch him ride around on that ATV and his short shorts. Too bad he is married! Yum Yum I want some!!!! I miss you freaky P!!!

10-31-2007, 08:27 PM
It's big P come and get some yum yum if you want some,,,,,and by the way I still have the shorts

10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
We should take a hint for this guy Perez and get out. Hey Perez, does your new department let you wear those short shorts on duty??? I will be applying there if they do. Are they issued or do you have to custom order them? a 5% 5% and a 5% is not enough to keep me in FLPD. Too many other departments are better run and paying better. See you soon Freaky P. Get the shorts and the ATV ready! I'll see you soon!

11-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Who is this Perez guy??? Seems like this is the Perez forum! Get lost Perez!

11-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah they do let me wear the shorts on duty, and the shorts here are tighter and shorter. Come on up the latest here is 10-6-6, and a quicker topout all this with less crime and hardly ever any calls holding and to the last entry don't be mean, this is the Perez forum,,,,deal with it.

11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I came to this site to get an update on negotiations. All it is is babble. Sorry, I thought this forum was on the negotiations.

11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I miss that guy Eric Perez. His bald head was so round and beautiful. Where did he go to? Someone told me Coral Springs PD. Another quality officer that made it to a better place. Keep in touch Eric.

11-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Some people say that if you go to the beach at A1A and ELO at night and listen you can faintly hear Perez and his ATV riding on the beach.

11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Eric actually got smart and went to Boca Raton PD. He is having a great time and everyone loves him there.

I miss that guy Eric Perez. His bald head was so round and beautiful. Where did he go to? Someone told me Coral Springs PD. Another quality officer that made it to a better place. Keep in touch Eric.

11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't think you can use smart and Eric in the same sentence. Boca PD??? People love him there??? C'mon I use to work with him on the beach. He was always miserable! Boca can have him and any other lazy, no good, bald headed, egg sucking dogs that we have!

11-05-2007, 03:55 AM
Boca currently has 15 openings and some current people are close to retirement. We have a take home car policy from the city limits south to Commercial Blvd, as far west as you want and north to Lantana Road in Palm Beach. Come up and do a ride along or talk to some of the FLPD officers that have come up already. A guy named Perez from FLPD just finished FTO, says its day and night difference from FLPD.

No pay for past experience and it takes 9 years to top out. I did hear a rumor that their contract will be in the neighborhood of 15, 7 and 7. But they have 12 hour days and it's like working 107 zone on Sunday everyday up there. Not much to do at all.

11-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Is the Perez guy everyone keeps talking about Al Perez???? The guy with the blond hair and big ears???

No...a young shaved head Hispanic guy. Worked here about a year and a half.

11-05-2007, 05:14 AM
I hear Boca PD is paperless, issue all equip., laptops with internet access and built in DVD player, $1200.00 uniform allowance and $1300.00 safe driver bonus. I also hear they're officers are high class, they don't eat donuts they eat bagels.

11-05-2007, 06:16 AM
I hear Boca PD is paperless, issue all equip., laptops with internet access and built in DVD player, $1200.00 uniform allowance and $1300.00 safe driver bonus. I also hear they're officers are high class, they don't eat donuts they eat bagels.

Go there if you don't want to be a cop. Not to mention, they contribute 9.7% to their pension and their health care is out of this world expensive. To top is off, you can only receive 82.5% of the pension unlike the FRS where you can go all the way. You will wipe the citizens rear ends, and be a glorified security guard if you work Boca. PBSO, Boynton, and Delray are better overall.

11-05-2007, 06:45 AM

With all due respect sir, you’re ignorant. First of all, I worked for a city that merged with BSO and our city doesn’t want their own PD back. Also, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with a contract, but per the contract with the city and BSO they can’t take you out of the city and place you elsewhere. Very few Departments who went BSO regret it, they regret who we voted back into office. The current Sheriff will make BSO top notch again, it’s going to take time. We as voters in Broward County put Jenne in officer twice. He was never a cop, what did anyone expect? A metro is the way to go.

Right now our morale is on the rise because our Sheriff is allowing us to be cops again. We do have problems, and we are not perfect however you don’t need to come on here and bash our agency. None of the cities had a problem with BSO until King Jenne took over. As a mater of fact, BSO was the most feared in the county at one time and then we got the crook Jenne who ruined our reputation. Our current Sheriff was sent to Hollywood to fix their problems years ago, came from working the streets of Lauderdale Lakes and helped with many mergers. Mergers when done right are a great thing, like PBSO is doing in Palm Beach. There you have a Sheriff who is aggressive and when he merges with cities they city officers kept everything and were not messed up. They had the option to leave the city, but most stayed and the residents are in heaven. So it can be done, and this guy at BSO will be the one to do it right. He’s already promised to give the cities the police protection they deserve and he will do it.

So please, don’t spout off at the mouth at things you have no idea about. I wish only the best for all Fort Lauderdale officers and hope things come through for you. I do feel a metro like Jacksonville is the way to go, and you don’t have to agree with me, but if it weren’t working then the majority of big cities around the national wouldn’t be doing it. However, cities and counties are, because it makes more sense. We became cops to get the bad guy, and it seems today all the cops are all about themselves. Broward county is a big city, the way Law Enforcement is run there are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Too many politicians in the city and county. At least with one big agency we would have more bargaining power. I’m going to get off my soap box and hope the best for FLPD and all my brothers over there. If the day happens you do come to BSO, we will be there for you. Be safe.

11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Boca's healthcare is less expensive then ft. lauderdale's, and the added 2% for pension contributions for a cleaner city and actual pay raises every year, yeah that's horrible, I'd rather save the $15.00 per pay period, and work in a city where they want you to call the dope boys sir. The nature of policing is changing everywhere and it's a matter of time before the dealers will be treated as sir's and maam's.

11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I'd rather save the $15.00 per pay period, and work in a city where they want you to call the dope boys sir.

Maybe I misread your comment because you only used one period in a 4 line reply, but did you really mean that? You WANT to work in a city where you call scum bags "sir"? Maybe you meant "than" instead of "and", but the rest of your post seemed to be consistent with your actual comment. If that is what you meant, stick to your own board. Despite our ups and downs, REAL police work happens in Ft. Lauderdale. If I worked in Boca I'd probably eat my gun.

11-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry that I'm not an english professor, but how is real policing happening in Ft laud? Cars being flagged due to AVL's, take kome cars taken away because of stats, is that real police work? Maybe it is if your doing Hebert's real police work. You cant even get in a foot chase before hearing everyone asking for a reference,,whatever

11-06-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm sorry that I'm not an english professor, but how is real policing happening in Ft laud? Cars being flagged due to AVL's, take kome cars taken away because of stats, is that real police work? Maybe it is if your doing Hebert's real police work. You cant even get in a foot chase before hearing everyone asking for a reference,,whatever

Ha ha Boca is worse. This is a wealthy city, and the citizens will police you and tell you where to go. Forget about doing Law Enforcement in Boca. Go to the Sheriff's Office, Boynton, West Palm, or Martin Co So.

11-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Take 95 north and get off at the exit see Ya

11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Coral Springs is hiring

11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Many people that work here at FLPD bash Boca because they can not get hired there. If I was not so close to retirement, I would have left and gone to Boca already. At least Boca has the support of their citizens, government, and command staff. When I hit my 20, Boca here I come.

11-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Well said and when you're ready they'll accept you with open arms I bet, not like here. 10 years ago you'd probably be crazy but the current FLPD you are right on

11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Many people that work here at FLPD bash Boca because they can not get hired there. If I was not so close to retirement, I would have left and gone to Boca already. At least Boca has the support of their citizens, government, and command staff. When I hit my 20, Boca here I come.

Listen to me; I'm now recently retired form Boca. There is no citizen support unless you are wearing knee pads for them. The command staff doesn't support you; do you remember Chief Scott and his scandal? The city pays them well because they have a lager tax base. However once you contribute 9.7% to your pension, and pay health care for your family you aren't bring home as much as surrounding agencies especially Palm Beach SO who got a huge contract. City of Boynton Beach got a nice contract as well and has a similar retirement as Boca but don't contribute as much. Please stop allowing people to blow smoke in your eyes, Boca is like working for Wackenhut or the Town of Palm Beach, you are a slave to rich people. As a matter of fact I remember working a DUI wolf pack where I stopped an affluent resident of Boca. I was told I was not to arrest him by a ranking Boca officer. This same ranking officer attempted to tell a Deputy the same thing, however the Deputy just laughed at him and arrested the man for DUI. Have fun if this is the job you want. You can get a lot more looking elsewhere.

11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Let's see... I can get paid well and not have to chase dirtbags 24 7 like I do now?? I can do "police work" in Boca. It will be a nice change after dealing with trash for almost 20 years here at FLPD. Gee.... you don't want me to make that DUI.... No problem. I am learning already.

11-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Let's see... I can get paid well and not have to chase dirtbags 24 7 like I do now?? I can do "police work" in Boca. It will be a nice change after dealing with trash for almost 20 years here at FLPD. Gee.... you don't want me to make that DUI.... No problem. I am learning already.

Learning that cops like you are the one's who need to quit. We got into this job to get the back guy. But, it's all about you. Give me, Give me, Give me! If you want to work somewhere and do nothing, do to Highland Beach, or Town of Palm Beach. Boca is trash, and can't compare. Morale is low here and I'm telling you to seek other pastures. Forget about doing Law Enforcement here in Boca, but you learn how to kiss up to citizens and brass.

11-07-2007, 04:25 AM

With all due respect sir, you’re ignorant. First of all, I worked for a city that merged with BSO and our city doesn’t want their own PD back. Also, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with a contract, but per the contract with the city and BSO they can’t take you out of the city and place you elsewhere. Very few Departments who went BSO regret it, they regret who we voted back into office. The current Sheriff will make BSO top notch again, it’s going to take time. We as voters in Broward County put Jenne in officer twice. He was never a cop, what did anyone expect? A metro is the way to go.

Right now our morale is on the rise because our Sheriff is allowing us to be cops again. We do have problems, and we are not perfect however you don’t need to come on here and bash our agency. None of the cities had a problem with BSO until King Jenne took over. As a mater of fact, BSO was the most feared in the county at one time and then we got the crook Jenne who ruined our reputation. Our current Sheriff was sent to Hollywood to fix their problems years ago, came from working the streets of Lauderdale Lakes and helped with many mergers. Mergers when done right are a great thing, like PBSO is doing in Palm Beach. There you have a Sheriff who is aggressive and when he merges with cities they city officers kept everything and were not messed up. They had the option to leave the city, but most stayed and the residents are in heaven. So it can be done, and this guy at BSO will be the one to do it right. He’s already promised to give the cities the police protection they deserve and he will do it.

So please, don’t spout off at the mouth at things you have no idea about. I wish only the best for all Fort Lauderdale officers and hope things come through for you. I do feel a metro like Jacksonville is the way to go, and you don’t have to agree with me, but if it weren’t working then the majority of big cities around the national wouldn’t be doing it. However, cities and counties are, because it makes more sense. We became cops to get the bad guy, and it seems today all the cops are all about themselves. Broward county is a big city, the way Law Enforcement is run there are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Too many politicians in the city and county. At least with one big agency we would have more bargaining power. I’m going to get off my soap box and hope the best for FLPD and all my brothers over there. If the day happens you do come to BSO, we will be there for you. Be safe.

Explain the chaos that Pompano Beach is now in after BSO took over. When Pompano had its own PD they had that area squared away, now well... I'll let you enlighten me. I'm guessing that you either work in Weston or Parkland. I'm sure the residents are in heaven out there because there wasn't too many changes that resulted in the hand off.

And do you really think Lamberti is in for the long haul after 30 years on the job? Do you think he really wants the headache. 10-8 guy or not, I don't think he can stand to loose anymore hair. Just wait a year and another politician gets in there, you'll be singing a different tune.

Copper
11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
He's already stated that he will officially run for "re" election next year. I do agree with you about Pompano though.

11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
[quote="J-cop":2dxje2pl]BSO has their own problems. They, as far as I know, still don't have a contract either and they are also in the middle of a union battle.

Explain the chaos that Pompano Beach is now in after BSO took over. When Pompano had its own PD they had that area squared away, now well... I'll let you enlighten me. I'm guessing that you either work in Weston or Parkland. I'm sure the residents are in heaven out there because there wasn't too many changes that resulted in the hand off.

And do you really think Lamberti is in for the long haul after 30 years on the job? Do you think he really wants the headache. 10-8 guy or not, I don't think he can stand to loose anymore hair. Just wait a year and another politician gets in there, you'll be singing a different tune.[/quote:2dxje2pl]
Pompano has always been a cesspool even with their own PD. The city was broke and crime was just a obvious as it is now. I worked in Deerfield Beach prior the merger. Pompano has more Deputies than FLPD has. 333 Deputies are assigned to Pompano Beach. When Pompano had their own PD they were responsible for roughly 60,000 residents. Now, after annexations and population growth, BSO is responsible for just over 100,000 residents. Yea, crime went up, there's about 40,000 more residents. You're right, not too many changes came down hill because there was a Sheriff who didn't know how to run an agency. Overall Pompano is better off. I remember working Deerfield we could listen to city of Pompano and they always were waiting hours to have people respond to a priority call. Things have gotten better, but nation wide crime is out of control. You can't direct this as an BSO issue. Last time I checked, Fort Lauderdale has more crime than Pompano, as does Lauderhill, and just to North West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, and Boynton Beach all who have their OWN police department. Maybe you haven't considered the demographics of the above-mentioned cities. Tampa is one of the worst cities in the nation, and Orlando just took the most dangerous city title, both have their own PD. My guess is these cities aren’t squared away and pompano with their own PD would be no different. Look at their demographics. All I'm saying is even in the above areas; there is no cooperation in Law Enforcement between agencies. There's a need for change.

As for Lamberti, yes, he will stay for the long haul. I know him personally and he is running for re-election. I don't think the Broward voters will make the same mistake twice and put another politician in office. Palm Beach has had several great sheriffs so has Martin, and about every other agency in Florida. Police work, especially a city with people like Carlton Moore is going to have politics. As a matter of fact, I don't care where you work every law enforcement agency has politics. You guys aren't happy with your admin, BSO wasn't happy with theirs. Your admin is appointed by a Mayor and city commissioners who are elected, and the Sheriff is elected or appointed by the Governor. All direct links to politics. I appreciate the conversation. Again, I wish the best for you in Fort Lauderdale. Stay safe.

11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Our PD is so forked up right now that I wish we would merge. Our cesspool doesn't come from the streets it comes from city hall and the 2nd floor east.

11-08-2007, 12:20 AM
I am hearing that negotiations did not go well today. I heard they want to take away more of our rights now and talks shut down quickly. On another note Sheriff Lamberti looked professional and backed his people today. Maybe its time to talk for real about a takever.

11-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Bring back Navarro

11-08-2007, 03:37 AM
I am hearing that negotiations did not go well today. I heard they want to take away more of our rights now and talks shut down quickly. On another note Sheriff Lamberti looked professional and backed his people today. Maybe its time to talk for real about a takever.

Gretsas said it best himself back in July: "Don't make any big purchases this year expecting a raise..." Just another indicator of how closed-minded they went into these negotiations.

So what is that $50 million reserve fund for, anyway? An emergency, I assume? The state of this department (attrition, inability to hire quality applicants, 98 part one crimes in Dg3 without "rorking the wule") isn't an emergency?

11-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Its no suprise that D3 had 98 part one crimes last week. I also wonder what the real numbers were once they completed their "downgrades"? D3 has a normal allotment of 8 officers working. Thats 2 on the beach secluded from everyone else and vulnerable with no back up in sight. 3 in the East if they are lucky and that covers an area from the ICW to I95 south of Broward Blvd. Sometimes they only have 2 guys in that area. And 3 out west where they respond to as many calls in progress as D2 and if you pay attention where we get the highest murder count in the city.

Distrcit 3 should have no less than 12 officers working every night. 3 on the beach 4 in the East and 5 out West. But we know we are
'doing more with less" so forget about it. If nothing else keep yourselves safe and watch your partners backs because nobody else here is going to.

11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Its no suprise that D3 had 98 part one crimes last week. I also wonder what the real numbers were once they completed their "downgrades"? ...

Distrcit 3 should have no less than 12 officers working every night. 3 on the beach 4 in the East and 5 out West. But we know we are
'doing more with less" so forget about it. If nothing else keep yourselves safe and watch your partners backs because nobody else here is going to.

Excellent point, especially if you consider that almost half a dozen of those 21 veh's included 10 or more cars. How neatly they can bundle 10 felonies into one dot.

Seven cops working south of Broward, from 441 to the beach: How is this safe? (and how do you set a box with two in a sector?) What is it going to take to show the brass that minimum manpower is far too low? Having never been in a comp-stat meeting, I imagine the captains sitting there, staring at the wagging finger from above, wondering how they're going to "erase the dots" with hardly enough people to staff a shift.

You're right, doc, that's all we can do is keep each other safe.

11-08-2007, 06:30 PM
What happend to all the Eric Perez talk in this section. The guy has been gone for a few weeks and we already forgot him. I miss his bald head and large bulging ears. Bring back Master P! He did some job cleaning up the beach of all the sig 43 action!

11-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I just read an info bulletin for Dist 3 about motorcycle thefts and requesting extra patrols around the hotels. So we have 3 guys on each shift patrolling the east while working 2 different action plans, 5 areas that require extra patrol, x-y'ing to the beach and west and still answering calls for service. But the department says its doable because we have less which means we can do more.

11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I just read an info bulletin for Dist 3 about motorcycle thefts and requesting extra patrols around the hotels. So we have 3 guys on each shift patrolling the east while working 2 different action plans, 5 areas that require extra patrol, x-y'ing to the beach and west and still answering calls for service. But the department says its doable because we have less which means we can do more.

You forgot directed patrols in parking garages. Incidentally, it's difficult to respond to back up the only other beach unit from the fifth floor of a garage. And we're back to safety.

-"He sells them, at least he doesn't wear them!"

The FNG
11-08-2007, 10:31 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE - Police officers want more than twice the pay raises the city is offering, officials revealed in contract negotiations Wednesday.

Sgt. Mike Tucker, a union representative, had declined at a rally Tuesday night to say how much officers were seeking in pay raises. But at a public meeting for contract negotiations Wednesday morning, the details of the debate came out:

The city is offering police 5 percent raises for each year of the contract, but only if the union agrees to give up the existing city pension system for new employees, sending incoming officers to the Florida Retirement System.

On the other side, the police officers want 10.5 percent pay raises each of the three years, as well as a cost of living increase every year for retired officers, and no switch to a state pension program.

At Wednesday's face-off, neither side budged.

"The problem," said Fraternal Order of Police local President Jack Lokeinsky, a Fort Lauderdale officer, "is that the pledge you put on the table puts us in the middle" compared to other area law enforcement agencies. "Our officers deserve to be more than in the middle."

In an interview after the meeting, Lokeinsky gave the reasoning behind the raise request.

"The [city] manager got a 21 percent increase over 2 years. So we asked for the same thing he got."

City Manager George Gretsas' salary increased from $180,000 in 2004 to $219,000 two years later, a 21.7 percent increase.

More than 200 officers protested outside City Hall on Tuesday night that the department is losing employees because of low pay and pensions, compared to other local agencies.

City officials countered, saying that crime is down, and that the contract must be fair not just to officers, but to taxpayers.

Talks between the two sides have dragged on for months.

The contract expired at the end of September. Meanwhile, the city came to terms with its largest union, the general employees.

The general employees agreed to give up a government pension for new workers. They'll have a 401(k) plan instead, with the city contributing an amount equal to 9 percent of each employee's salary each year.

Fort Lauderdale's officers pay 7 percent of their salary into the pension investment fund, but the city's portion is much higher: 49 percent. Then when officers retire, they can receive a maximum of 81 percent of their salary as a retirement benefit until they die.

But Wednesday, Lokeinsky told the city's negotiators, including police Chief Bruce Roberts, that abandoning the city pension system isn't the answer.

"If someone has some idea to fix the plan, we're willing to consider it," said Pete Sampo, the labor attorney representing the city.

The pension board will discuss the issues its meeting Wednesday.

Brittany Wallman can be reached at bwallman@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4541

11-08-2007, 11:19 PM
FNG next time just post the link. We all get access to the paper so save this for officer comments.

11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
It was not uncommon when I used to work here, to go code 3 from Dst.1 Beach all the way to Dist.2 on Midnights to backup officers. Every time I did this, Dist.1 Beach was left with no one at all, as I was the only one there to hold everything down.

11-10-2007, 05:08 AM
What exactly is a "back guy?" I have been in law enforcement for a while and have never heard that term before.

Learning that cops like you are the one's who need to quit. We got into this job to get the back guy. But, it's all about you. Give me, Give me, Give me! If you want to work somewhere and do nothing, do to Highland Beach, or Town of Palm Beach. Boca is trash, and can't compare. Morale is low here and I'm telling you to seek other pastures. Forget about doing Law Enforcement here in Boca, but you learn how to kiss up to citizens and brass.

11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
What exactly is a "back guy?" I have been in law enforcement for a while and have never heard that term before.

Are you that much of an ignorant idiot? You know what he implied and his story is true. These cops who are all about me need to quit. It's called getting the bad guy

11-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Inflation S. Florida 5.1%

The city can take the 5, 5, 5% proposal and stick it where the sun does not shine.

11-18-2007, 02:15 AM
How is my boyfriend Eric Perez? I need to go apply at Boca so I can see him again! Hey Eric, does Boca let you ride the ATV in those hot shorts? yummy!

11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
How is my boyfriend Eric Perez? I need to go apply at Boca so I can see him again! Hey Eric, does Boca let you ride the ATV in those hot shorts? yummy!

Everyone knows that the idiot Perez is posting these himself. We have to many things going on for this crap so Eric should stay in Boca and leave us alone.

11-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Our PD is so forked up right now that I wish we would merge. Our cesspool doesn't come from the streets it comes from city hall and the 2nd floor east.

Anyone who thinks that would be smart has their head where the sun doesn't shine !

11-19-2007, 12:31 AM

They have cops in boca I thought they were service aides with guns ? Oh they are. You need all those things for entertainment when you're not catching bad guys.

11-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Anyone who thinks that would be smart has their head where the sun doesn't shine !

BSO is the answer! I bet if it came to a vote 70% or better would vote to merge.

Copper
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Is there a union meeting tomorrow (Tuesday), normal place, normal time?

11-19-2007, 04:32 PM

BSO is the answer! I bet if it came to a vote 70% or better would vote to merge.

the problem here..is it isnt up to the FLPD...Its up to the city commission and the citizens of Fort Lauderdale, if they go BSO.

11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
THE CITY HAD THE FUNDS TO PURCHASE A 246 THOUSAND DOLLAR POOL HEATER FOR THE AQUATIC COMPLEX !

WE ARE IN FLORIDA RIGHT ?

11-20-2007, 03:43 AM
The city has cancelled the negotiations scheduled for this week. It shows that they are not taking us seriously and refuse to acknowledge what we do. Time for WAR!!!

11-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Looks like they want to go directly to Impass.

I have been holding off applying elseware, but not anymore, it is high time to relocate too.

11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Why dont you guys pull tatics that other cities have done and drive your point home.
1. Respone to calls for service only (no proactive stuff) then at your own speed no rush to get there. Then when people complain tell them due to your lack of pay you guys are short x# of officers and more are leaving everyday.
2. Blue Flu were whole shifts call in. You may have to check how legal that is here in Florida

11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Why dont you guys pull tatics that other cities have done and drive your point home.
1. Respone to calls for service only (no proactive stuff) then at your own speed no rush to get there. Then when people complain tell them due to your lack of pay you guys are short x# of officers and more are leaving everyday.
2. Blue Flu were whole shifts call in. You may have to check how legal that is here in Florida
Thanks for the tip. 'preciate the support. But we got it handled. Thanks.

12-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Florida freezes state investment fund
Posted on Fri, Nov. 30, 2007
Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY GARY FINEOUT
gfineout@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE --
In a decision that could disrupt the finances of dozens of cities and counties across the state, Gov. Charlie Crist and other top officials on Thursday froze the assets of a $15 billion investment fund used by local governments.

The move comes in the wake of cities and counties and school districts across the state, including Broward, Miami-Dade and the cities of Miami and Fort Lauderdale, withdrawing $10 billion they had in the investment fund during the last two weeks.

The financial troubles also cast a spotlight on the agency that handles investments for the state, which lost more than $300 million during the collapse of Enron in 2001 and made a controversial decision to bankroll the purchase of a for-profit company that operates schools.

The fund, known officially as the Local Government Investment Pool, was created 25 years ago as a way to provide a place for cities and counties to invest cash over a short period of time and operates like a money market fund. In the last two weeks, roughly $10 billion has been withdrawn from the fund -- including $3.5 billion Thursday morning -- most of it coming in the wake of revelations that state investment managers had money in companies rocked by the housing slump and nationwide credit crunch.

The decision by the State Board of Administration means cities and counties cannot withdraw cash from the fund until next week at the earliest. The board is made up of Crist, Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink and Attorney General Bill McCollum.

''There comes a time you have to do what you think is right and be guided by what the facts are and what the current events are and try to stop a bad situation from escalating further,'' Crist said.

The vote to block governments from withdrawing their money from the fund came over the objections of the board's executive director, who recommended the board instead approve the use of the massive $140 billion Florida Retirement System as a backstop for losses.

''If we don't do something quickly, we're not going to have an investment pool,'' said Coleman Stipanovich.

But Sink, the board's lone Democrat, questioned the legality of pledging money that is intended for retired state employees, school teachers and county employees. Sink instead called for outside financial managers to evaluate the idea and report back to the board by next Tuesday.

When asked whether or not she was had lost faith in the board staff, Sink responded that cities and counties have had a ''crisis of confidence'' by withdrawing billions from the state run fund.

This is not the first controversy to rock the State Board of Administration during Stipanovich's tenure. Stipanovich, who is the brother of J.M. Stipanovich, an advisor to Katherine Harris and manager of Jeb Bush's first bid for governor, came under fire by Democrats and the state's teacher unions back in 2003 who questioned why the state came to the rescue of Edison Schools Inc.

Some local officials sharply criticized the decision of Stipanovich's bosses to reject his recommendations.

Bob Inzer, the clerk of the court for Leon County and former city treasurer for Tallahassee, said the investment pool is used as a ''checking account'' by many smaller cities and counties and that the decision could wreak havoc with their finances.

''We need leadership in this state today, and we didn't get it,'' Inzer said.

Cities and counties across the state have pulled out of the investment fund in the wake of reports showing that it had invested in companies that could be hurt by the credit crunch and mortgage problems, such as Countrywide. Bloomberg News reported Thursday that most of the investments had been sold to the state by Lehman Brothers, the massive investment firm that recently announced that former Gov. Bush had joined its private equity board.

Among the cities and counties that have pulled out in the last two weeks: Miami-Dade and Broward County as well as the cities of Doral, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Miramar, Hollywood, Homestead, Pembroke Pines, Davie and the Broward County School Board.e

''We pulled our money out when we first got wind that there could be some issues,'' acting Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry said. ``We're just following the market.''

Fort Lauderdale pulled out about $259 million from the fund early Thursday, said Ted Lawson, a city spokesman. The transaction was completed by 10:30 a.m., just hours before the freeze was approved.

''I think we were right before the wire,'' Lawson said.

Miami city officials said the city -- over the past two weeks -- withdrew its roughly $20 million investment from the fund, prompted by concerns the fund could be negatively affected by problems in the nation's subprime lending market.

''We've taken the money away, we have it in the bank,'' City Manager Pete Hernandez said.

Pembroke Pines pulled all of its money from the fund in a $63 million withdrawl just before 11 a.m. Monday, said René González, the city's finance director.

''We felt that we need to safeguard the city's money,'' he said. Pembroke Pines has used the state-managed investment fund for more than 25 years with good results, González said.

But Pembroke Pines investment committee was worried about what all of the recent withdrawls would do to the city's investment. ''They have done a good job in the past, but I think there was panic,'' he said.

THIS WAS POSTED ON ANOTHER SITE. DOES THE CITY HAVE MONEY FOR YOUR CONTRACT NOW?

12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
259 million ought to cover what we need!

12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
They'll just buy more big plant bowls for the station.........

12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Jack!!!!! how about a real update!!!!????

12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Why are we so secretive? I have never known negotiations to be kept from members like it is now. If our concern is the city having spies in our ranks then what difference would it make to let members know what our proposal is to the city? Can someone please explain?

12-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Why are we so secretive? I have never known negotiations to be kept from members like it is now. If our concern is the city having spies in our ranks then what difference would it make to let members know what our proposal is to the city? Can someone please explain?

Make a note of guest7. He asks to many questions. Back into the shadows my ninja brothers!!!

12-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Make a note of guest7. He asks to many questions. Back into the shadows my ninja brothers!!!

He's right! I say we find out who "Guest 7" is and oust that FED! That was seriously funny, nice one Ninja Master, who ever you are you dark hooded secret throat slitting master.

12-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I've heard that there is already a FED in our ranks. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :snicker:

12-20-2007, 03:05 AM
He's right! I say we find out who "Guest 7" is and oust that FED! That was seriously funny, nice one Ninja Master, who ever you are you dark hooded secret throat slitting master.
Ninja, Please! You know there's no fed... (pay no attention to the man behind the curtain)

12-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Jimmy,
They know too much. You know what to do.