PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Lt

09-11-2007, 12:50 AM
What is the need to have a Major, a Lieutenant, and a Sergeant in charge of Special projects? After all, there are only three officers assigned to the unit. Do we really need a lieutenant in that unit?

Wouldn't it be smarter to place a lieutenant on afternoons where there is greater liability and where more leadership is needed. Also, most young officers are assigned to afternoons. Wouldn't that unit need as much supervision as possible?

The Department should always give any new lieutenant an opportunity to gain much needed "road experience." This is not a knock on any of the folks in their current positions. They are fine people who have always been QRU all the way. They are just soldiers. It's just an honest question about staffing.

What do you think?

09-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Yep.....

09-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Yeah I agree, but we are not young officers on afternoon patrol, most of us for the exception of 2 can easily bid and be placed in a region as an sro, but due to family situations or financial reason we decide to stay on patrol (F.Y.I. poor decision on our part because they are now messing with our days off) but I do agree, patrol on the most part has been severely overlooked. We are poorly staffed and expected to work miracles with the man power we have, statically speaking we are one of the busiest shifts, we have to travel great distances from call to call, and at times are expected to respond to calls where we require the assistance from the county or the city for help, and for those of us who work patrol for a while we know that they don't always show up

J Rastrelli
09-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah leadership thats what we need. How about giving us more people so we can do the job effectively. Oh hey, lets reduce the burglaries by 10 percent in betwwen the 36's and 32's with 6 people. There I said it. We are in a serious state of decline.

09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
gui could use more people. For real for real for real.

09-12-2007, 01:26 AM
John, no one doubts that you need more people. What I am saying is that it would help if you had a lieutenant helping you fight your battle. It's crazy to expect C shift to handle calls from the Broward/Dade line to the Dade/Monroe Line with 6 people. That's crazy. We are lucky no one has gotten killed!

We, as a department, need to start placing individuals where they are needed most. In my opinion, a sergeant could handle the three officers in Special Projects and he/she could report to the AD Lieutenant. Now you have an extra Lt you could place on Shift C.

As it is, you are being asked to perform the responsibilities and duties of a lieutenant with no compensation. That's ok for a few weeks or even a few months, but it's been how many years now????

Even while the department is attempting to brain storm and come up with solutions reference alarms and burglaries at our schools, the department still thinks its best to have a lieutenant in charge of a three-man presentations unit, rather than on C Shift where a lieutenant could be working on solutions.

Again, what do you guys think?

09-12-2007, 04:07 AM
HOW ABOUT THIS YOU DONT EVEN NEED SCHOOL POLICE. LET THE REAL POLICE IN THE CITY HAND THE BULL SH----T CALLS. MIAMI DADE SCHOOL POLICE ARE FULL OF WANT A BE COPS. LOOSERS. THE BRASS ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE. :D

09-13-2007, 03:56 AM
HOW ABOUT THIS YOU DONT EVEN NEED SCHOOL POLICE. LET THE REAL POLICE IN THE CITY HAND THE BULL SH----T CALLS. MIAMI DADE SCHOOL POLICE ARE FULL OF WANT A BE COPS. LOOSERS. THE BRASS ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE. :D

I have been absent from this forum for some time and during that hiatus, I have reflected on past unflattering comments regarding members of the MDSBPD! I have come to the conclusion that each of us plays a crucial role in the service and protection of our community, and School Board PD does its job according to the precepts established by their organization. That said, REAL COP, I wonder whether you are? If we did not have the School PD, we would be handling all calls within the schools, something I care not to do, nor should county or municipal officers do it. The fact is we hardly have enough officers to respond to calls for service and you are recommending that we assume more? Brilliant!

The fact is we need the School Board PD. If you are keeping abreast of your tactical reading, you may have discern that one of Al Qaeda's targets are OUR SCHOOLS, similar to what the Chechnians did in Moscow. This has been reported on both the Glenn Beck radio and television programs, and it is quite disturbing!

Local policing, and that includes MDSBPD, must coalesce their forces and train -- constantly -- in Active Shooter scenarios, approaching the training format from a worst case perspective.