PDA

View Full Version : blackberries

09-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Why do just majors have blackberries when we all could use them?

09-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey idiot, see how much you know. Others have blackberries.

09-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Hey Idiot, what are you talking about? Who else has BB besides the majors?

I heard last week they bought the new agents new 2-way pagers to save money but not BB's

Mod 361
09-08-2007, 05:25 AM
To the author of the first response, real professional of you to use such a refined vernacular.

To the other authors, some LT's (SRT) and all Capt's get BB's as well.

09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Not all captains have them

09-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey Bill,

Why do you care. Does the majors having BB change your abilities to do your job? Get over yourself. Go do your job. If you need a BB that bad put in for Pendarakis' position or Mato in Jan when he leaves.

09-08-2007, 06:35 PM
While it is true that the BB is issued to a select few, there really is little justification for them. I've seen BB holders sending email from the device while sitting in the office where they spend the majority of their time anyway. No email is important and I don't know of any policy that requires you to have constant access to email. Yea I know - the phones don't work during disasters and email is the only way to communicate, but the folks you really need to communicate with don't have a BB.
Go figure.

09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Beepers is the way to go for all of us. Inexpensive. If you all agree lets put in the online suggestion box.

09-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Beepers won't work now days. There are no pay phones to call from. Two way text pagers would work. The Motorola T900 is the way to go.

09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Beepers won't work now days. There are no pay phones to call from. Two way text pagers would work. The Motorola T900 is the way to go.

Drop the suggestion in the online box. I think it should be done Depatment wide.

09-10-2007, 04:47 AM
It just mo money wasted if you ask me. Those boys ought to be buying us laptops and aircards so we can get more work done. I think it funny when i see my captain using that black berry from her desk. i guess she can use it while she on the can too. We all know most of them full of it anyway so the can be the best place to use it. :shock:

09-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Hell, I have my own laptop, I just wish they would let me access the VPN (ABT web site) with it. But Noooooooooooo

09-11-2007, 02:34 AM
You can access the VPN on your lap top if it is capable. I have and only once and a while do I have a problem with the site. Find the site below. If you have a problem, contact the help desk. It has worked for me. I have not printed out of licensedisease with it. That is more problems to install letter listener. I did not want to do that.

https://vpn.dbpr.state.fl.us/dana-na/au ... elcome.cgi (https://vpn.dbpr.state.fl.us/dana-na/auth/url_default/welcome.cgi)

09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
It isn’t that my laptop won’t, it is that I was told not to. That we are not allowed to access the VPN from our laptops or home computers. If this is wrong then please tell me and show me where in writing that I can do it. Working in the field with a laptop would be great, even if it is my own.

09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
All the rambling about The Blackberry has me wondering if I am the only person who really understands what is going on.
Don't you get it? We don't need BB. We don't need email. They are nothing more than modern day shackles!!
Rise Up!! Rise Up againt the Machine!!!
Rise up againt The Man!!
Can't you see we are enslaved by this so called "technology?" It doesn't help us work more efficiently - it leads to more work!!
It is up to us to take a stand. Just say "NO."
Remember how it was before? People actually had free time. They actually spoke to each other. Not anymore. We fire off email and stare at the screen, waiting for a response. When it doesn't come fast enough, we call the recepient and ask if they got the email.
Don't you see?? Take a stand. Take a stand now.
Technology - a steel toe boot on the throat of the working man.

09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
you finally got them to quit whining about the BLACKBERRY!

09-20-2007, 12:04 AM
I heard everyone are getting blackberries, Is this true?

09-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Everyone gets a BlackBerry!!!! Now that is a bad idea. You have to know THE MAN can track your every move by inputting a special code into the desktop redirector. A simple key stroke and "BAM!!!" there you are. Not only can they track your position, but they can activate the audio card and listen to your conversations. Granted, most talk centers around the McD drive thru, but who knows??? One day "THE MAN" might get enough to cancel your Christmas. You don't think they can get you? You're wrong. There are ways to protect yourself. Make an aluminum hat. If you use the Reynolds Wrap brand foil (not the cheap store brands) you will be able to block the radio waves. Good Luck.

09-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Are you kidding me, this agency is in shambles again and you are worried about blackberries! Please go get a real job you worthless schmucks..
:oops:

09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
I have fashioned a suitable foil helmet, and turned off my Blackberry, so don't bother trying to track my location. What do you mean "get a real job???" You must be nuts. There is nothing wrong with ABT, but there is plenty wrong with some of the people in it. Look at the facts:

High risk retirement
No shift work
Take home car
Plain clothes
Easy evaluation system
Annual leave, sick leave
Clothing allowance
Paid retirement
I'm sure I've missed some of the benefits, but you get the point. Look around at what your friends and neighbors get - things don't look so bad...
I will admit things could get better and I suspect they will.
Stay medicated.

10-12-2007, 01:49 AM
If you go into the main screen under system in the blackberry, you can access the internet and duplicate the VPN function. The blackberry can be used to access any programs you normally would access.

10-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Why?? Why would you want to do that??? Did you not read the previous posts???? Make a foil helmet. Do it. Do it now.

10-13-2007, 04:14 AM
He does not know the value of of a good foil helmet. It will take time, but he will learn.

10-14-2007, 12:22 AM
He does not know the value of of a good foil helmet. It will take time, but he will learn.

I know you are right but I can't help but worry. They are so young and innocent. It worries me that they may not get the experience they need to be out on their own. I have done all I can, but some still wander away and meet with tragic results. I guess if I can save just one of them, I have done my part.

10-14-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm not sure about the previous posts. The internet is readily available on the blackberry. Go to the selection screen and use the wheel to select on the internet icon. It will connect and use the wheel to navigate to the sites.

10-14-2007, 02:49 AM
I give up. Some days it just doesn't pay to chew through the straps.
Good Luck and Godspeed.

10-15-2007, 01:06 AM
this is a tech question for those who really do have blackberries. I noticed a roaming icon on the screen-but there is no roaming charges and it shouldn't matter where the signal is coming from. Is this really a roaming signal?

10-15-2007, 01:15 AM
The BB may indicate "roaming" but there are no roaming charges if the device is in Florida.

11-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Everyone gets a BlackBerry!!!! Now that is a bad idea. You have to know THE MAN can track your every move by inputting a special code into the desktop redirector. A simple key stroke and "BAM!!!" there you are. Not only can they track your position, but they can activate the audio card and listen to your conversations. Granted, most talk centers around the McD drive thru, but who knows??? One day "THE MAN" might get enough to cancel your Christmas. You don't think they can get you? You're wrong. There are ways to protect yourself. Make an aluminum hat. If you use the Reynolds Wrap brand foil (not the cheap store brands) you will be able to block the radio waves. Good Luck.

I tried to warn you people 5 years ago. Can you say Callyo? THE MAN has your number! Peace Out