PDA

View Full Version : budget crunch

09-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I have heard that more positions will be cut at ABT. Anyone know about this?

09-08-2007, 04:42 AM

:D

09-08-2007, 05:04 AM

According to the news the positions are safe.

09-08-2007, 01:21 PM
There is no need to cut positions in order to save money. I have a few suggestions and if we all "chip in" we may be able to save positions. Remember the position we save may be your own!!!

Don't claim per diem when eligible. You can get free food at most Sam's Club locations. They have those little samples - take advantage of them. The sesame chicken is good!

Hotel costs are another way we can save. If you have to travel, checkout a local church or waterfront mission. You will not only save money, but you will meet some unforgetable people.

Reduce fuel costs. Most every PD and SO has a on site tank where you can gas up free (as long as they don't catch you.) Car pool when possible. You don't need to get in separate cars if you are going to the same place. This is also an efficient way to conduct inspections. Get 4 agents in a car, and cover a city block at a time. It works for sales people (cleaning products, magazines, etc.) it can work for us.

No need to buy office supplies. They are easliy aquired from other agencies, insurance agents, hospitals, etc. Look around. Free stuff is everywhere.

09-19-2007, 11:30 PM
I heard that they are cutting 40 more investigatior positions.
Anyone hear that??

09-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Anyone hear that??

What is an "investigatior"?!

09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Anyone hear that??

A State Employye that has been here awhile!

08-02-2008, 03:22 AM
There is no need to cut positions in order to save money. I have a few suggestions and if we all "chip in" we may be able to save positions. Remember the position we save may be your own!!!

Don't claim per diem when eligible. You can get free food at most Sam's Club locations. They have those little samples - take advantage of them. The sesame chicken is good!

Hotel costs are another way we can save. If you have to travel, checkout a local church or waterfront mission. You will not only save money, but you will meet some unforgetable people.

Reduce fuel costs. Most every PD and SO has a on site tank where you can gas up free (as long as they don't catch you.) Car pool when possible. You don't need to get in separate cars if you are going to the same place. This is also an efficient way to conduct inspections. Get 4 agents in a car, and cover a city block at a time. It works for sales people (cleaning products, magazines, etc.) it can work for us.

No need to buy office supplies. They are easliy aquired from other agencies, insurance agents, hospitals, etc. Look around. Free stuff is everywhere.

I smell a Davis Productivity Award....

08-02-2008, 03:46 AM

I smell a Davis Productivity Award....

No, I just farted is all! :devil:

08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
ABT Special Agents shoud not be called Special Agents. That is a designation reserved for FDLE. ABT agents should not be using that title or any other. It is typical of the lack of professionalism in ABT that the agents continue to use a title they do not deserve and are violating statutory language by continuing to use. When ABT management gets around to cleaning house of the lazy and undeserving agents around the state, they can also address this issue. It will be a wonder if ABT can continue to be accredited by CFA considering the lack of professionalism shown by the upper management in Tallahassee. One thing is for sure. If ABT, continues to be accredited, it will be due to the work of just one or two dedicated supervisors in central office.

08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Nothhing like singing your own praises..RC and CT.

08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
ABT Special Agents shoud not be called Special Agents. That is a designation reserved for FDLE. ABT agents should not be using that title or any other. It is typical of the lack of professionalism in ABT that the agents continue to use a title they do not deserve and are violating statutory language by continuing to use. When ABT management gets around to cleaning house of the lazy and undeserving agents around the state, they can also address this issue. It will be a wonder if ABT can continue to be accredited by CFA considering the lack of professionalism shown by the upper management in Tallahassee. One thing is for sure. If ABT, continues to be accredited, it will be due to the work of just one or two dedicated supervisors in central office.

And what' so special about being an fdle agent? They're getting hit real hard with budget cuts...their agents are gonna be some of the first to go in state law enforcement...locals do everything they do

08-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Bar fly

Anyone hear that??

A State Employye that has been here awhile!

What is a state employye?

Mod 361
08-04-2008, 04:29 AM

I still don't understand where the above post comes from:
-Statutory language violation? Prove it.
-And prove that the title is reserved for FDLE. (There are multiple agencies using it)
-And what about CFA? We don't need it now, and we didn't need it before. As a matter of fact, NO agency needs it. It's optional, and doesn't prove anything.
-Whether my agency is accredited or not, my certification doesn't change...and neither does the pay.

08-04-2008, 06:15 AM
ABT, DEA, ATF, DEP, etc., are specialized agencies deserving the title Special Agent. FDLE is not specialized at all and do nothing more than the locals do. FDLE should be stripped of the title and called merely Agent.

08-04-2008, 12:13 PM
With state government circling the bowl, you are about to see DLE Special Agents referred to as "Trooper."

08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
If you actually think FDLE is going anywhere you are living in a dream world. FDLE has too many friends in too many high places. Plus you are forgetting all that FDLE covers on the non-sworn side as well. I just wish we could somehow get ABT to merge into FDLE to protect our future!!!!

08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
If you actually think FDLE is going anywhere you are living in a dream world. FDLE has too many friends in too many high places. Plus you are forgetting all that FDLE covers on the non-sworn side as well. I just wish we could somehow get ABT to merge into FDLE to protect our future!!!!

FDLE is laying off all OPS employees and up to 80 agents. Not just vacancies...actual bodies. If the two agencies merged as you suggest, I would lay off 80 ABT BLE employees. At least that way half of the Bureau would be gone! :devil:

08-05-2008, 01:08 AM
My reply was for the post saying FDLE would become "troopers". FDLE as an agency will not be disbanded do to the political connections it has, now I do believe there will be some layoffs, but no where near 80 agents. That I can assure you of. What we need is some sort of consolidation of SLEO's to minimize the amount of money spent on HR, ADMIN, TRAINING, FLEET, etc... These are duplication of services that every SLEO does in their department.

Remember all agencies were ask/required to cut 10% from their budget so not agency will get by without some layoffs...including ABT!

08-05-2008, 06:43 AM
If they are going to cut FDLE agents, they should start with the Governor's guard. I somehow bet he would change his mind about any layoffs then.

08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
By the way ABT agents were called special agents long before FDLE was even a thought in this states mind. The way things are going they can just change FDLE agents names to Casinio Police

08-05-2008, 11:06 AM
this initiative to change job titles from special agent down to agent is being pushed by the 2 tallahassee capt.s and their little friend the capt. from fort myers. someone should look into all the free time those capt.s have. 2 important questions the secretary and deputy secretary need to answer

how many task forces or major crime investigations originate out of RC's region now that he spent the past year campaigning?

how many new/updated policies have come out of CT's office while he's busy worrying about how to change the special agents' title?

08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
RC is in his office, when he's not taking 7 weeks off to campaign while on S/Leave. There is a difference between being at work and really working. RC does nothng productive that does not further his campaining. RC, nothing tangible has been accomplished by him in 1 1/2 years.

CT, same thing. Sits in office, twiddles thumbs, collects paychecks, makes others miserable in central office.

08-05-2008, 12:35 PM

FDLE is laying off all OPS employees and up to 80 agents. Not just vacancies...actual bodies. If the two agencies merged as you suggest, I would lay off 80 ABT BLE employees. At least that way half of the Bureau would be gone! :devil:

We're not laying off 80 agents and all ops employees. We have about 90 vacant jobs agency wide which will most likely be written off the books. Of those 90, only about 20 are Agent positions.

08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
this initiative to change job titles from special agent down to agent is being pushed by the 2 tallahassee capt.s and their little friend the capt. from fort myers. someone should look into all the free time those capt.s have. 2 important questions the secretary and deputy secretary need to answer

how many task forces or major crime investigations originate out of RC's region now that he spent the past year campaigning?

how many new/updated policies have come out of CT's office while he's busy worrying about how to change the special agents' title?

These 3 Capt.'s that you speak of are the most condescending, arrogant and the best at avoiding work I've ever seen. And I'm not even with your agency....whoever your big boss is, they should really take a good hard look at these three.

08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
By the way ABT agents were called special agents long before FDLE was even a thought in this states mind. The way things are going they can just change FDLE agents names to Casinio Police

Yeah, thanks to the state knowing ABT could not handle the enforcement of the Racinos, FDLE got stuck with them!! Althought now they will become a nice lifeboat for a number of Special Agents over there so they are probably happy to have them!!!

09-30-2008, 03:59 AM

This state is a joke with its 5,000 agencies. DEP, AG AND FWC should be one. FHP, DOT, and CAPITOL POLICE should be one. ABT should be with FDLE. Its not rocket science Florida! :roll:

09-30-2008, 01:25 PM

This state is a joke with its 5,000 agencies. DEP, AG AND FWC should be one. FHP, DOT, and CAPITOL POLICE should be one. ABT should be with FDLE. Its not rocket science Florida! :roll:

Talk with some FDLE agents you'll find it's not so rosy over there right now. They have no more on call pay, the supervisors have to be on call with no extra pay. They are looking to cut money just like every other agency out there. There is noting safe in this crunch. As far as the locals taking over ABT functions, ask a local if they want that to happen. They have enough to do without trying to get specialize units to work beverage stuff. The local agencies are feeling the budget crisis just like everyoe else. You think mergers will solve anything? Talk to the folks from the marine patrol and game and fish. It hasn't been easy and it's effected a lot of employees in a negative way.

Who knows what the answer is? But we better put some people in Tallahassee in the legislature to start listening and using common sense for a change..or we need to vote them out.