PDA

View Full Version : Randle prefiles for Santa Rosa sheriff

09-07-2007, 06:21 AM
It's time for a CHANGE in Santa Rosa County all I hope for is someone other than Wendell becomes sheriff.

Robert Randle, deputy police chief for the Gulf Breeze Police Department, has prefiled to run for Santa Rosa County sheriff.

Randle, a graduate of the University of West Florida and the FBI National Academy, has more than 27 years of law enforcement experience.

He has served as an undercover narcotics investigator, police K-9 handler and patrol sergeant and lieutenant before becoming deputy police chief.

Randle, who will run as a Republican, lives in Milton with his wife, Ellen.

Two other candidates also have prefiled for sheriff: incumbent Wendell Hall and Escambia County deputy Jeffery Van Camp Sr.

*copied from pnj.com Sept 6,2007*
Link:
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/app ... 1/70905023 (http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/NEWS01/70905023)

09-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok Gil Fish can you please tell the readers why Wendell shouldn't be re-elected? We all know he looks to good to the voters to be ousted. Remeber, the product itself is not as important as the way it looks! :lol:

09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I guess there are no responses. All I want to know is why Randle would be the better choice or why Gil Fish wants somebody other than Wendell to be sheriff. For those who were not here in 2004, ask around about what happened to those who did not support the sheriff. Some got transferred, some got the boot. Some got screwed because they were suspected of supporting another candidate. In other words, the very big man acted like a spoiled brat.

09-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Shark Chum,

There is no one candidate better than the other at this point, none of the candidates have really started to campaign yet and I’m not supporting anyone yet not until I hear what they have to offer the department. I was simply putting out there; there are other choices But It is time to have a Sheriff that will support the troops when the time comes and not coward to the public. I understand there are times when you need to play both sides, that’s what politicians do but there’s a better way to do it without screwing over the troops in the field just because you’re afraid to lose a vote. But you hit the nail on the head with that comment. I to remember several people that were getting transferred or getting screwed with because it was either thought they supported or they did support someone else.

09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Santa Rosa County has been and will always be a "good ole boy" county. A county commissioner owns a business that recieves revenue from the county. That same county commisoner wants the sheriff to cut his budget and the deputies' benefits. I guess it doesn't matter that several senior county employess make around 100 grand a year. I think the county could use some trimming of its budget, especially to Mr. Gooden's beach contract. We also have a sheriff who promised that we would not loose certian things, such as annual increases, take home cars, etc. This same sheriff refused to put that into a contract. This same sheriff also "met" with Gordon Gordon prior to the county abolishing senority. If he is "fighting" for us why does he not take a stand? Why wont he put his promises into the contract? $50.00 boot allowance per year? Wow, I'm impressed. He is more concered about appearance than our future. He harps on deputies for being too fat although they are the hardest working deputies on the streets. He is more concerend about votes and that 100 plus thousand dollar salary than our benefits. He's allowed the buddy system to go too far. He made precedents in that a trainee was recommended for termintation but because his cousin was in charge of HR, he was retained. You know the rest. The sheriff wants to kiss the butts of those who pay those campaign contributions. It's too bad another deputy I know is about to leave for another agency. He's one of hte best around. I guess chalk up another loss of a good deputy. Between the BOCC and the sheriff, I guess he's had enough. So have I.

09-18-2007, 11:37 PM
So FOP is asking for standby pay for detectives and fifty dollars a year for boots. What kind of money will the detectives get in a year's time just for being on call? What is the lodge president's position at the S.O.?

Here's what you have to look forward to. If you're killed in the line, your family gets nil. You're looking at getting your annual increase frozen so no raise. Along with it your insurance may get axed. Your seniority is already gone.

The sun will come out, to-morrow!

09-19-2007, 01:13 AM
What about those of us who aren't considered detectives who spend a great deal of time on call?

09-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Shark Chum,

That has to be one of the most educated assessments of this agency and county commission I have heard in awhile, you hit on some of the very important issues. Santa Rosa County is a "good ole boy" county. The only problem is the Sheriff is not listening. Unfortunately the Sheriff only cares and how his hair looks and how’s he going to look in front of the county commissioners and the citizens. It’s very unfortunate that I watch good DEPUTIES get the shaft and are leaving because the Sheriff has no clue. If the Sheriff only took as good care of his deputies and he does the citizens this agency would be a much better place to work.

To get my point across I can remember a time the Sheriff requested all the deputies to make a showing at the County Board Meeting. We all (deputies) show up and all the Sheriff does is sit there in the front row and wait for everyone (public & employee’s of this agency) else to speak and after everyone speaks, The Sheriff goes up and says a few words. I think he really didn’t know what to say, and he got all his words from what others were saying. So what did we get after all was said and done NOT MUCH! Not when you look at what the higher administration is making, let’s fill their pockets while the deputies struggle to feed their families makes sense right. I’m not asking to get rich I’m simply asking for a fair pay when you look at what administrations making it’s no were near what we should be at in the pay scale.

As for as the boot allowance and the detectives allowance, I have never agreed with the amount, it should be much more. I know that FOP has asked for these numbers to be changed but we all know the Sheriff is not coming off any of that money especially to help out the deputies or the detectives. So don’t look for it anytime soon.

The bottom line is if you’re a deputy that does his/her job be very careful. If you’re not one of the boy’s in the click and you do something to someone who has an influential vote or it’s one of these influential voters family members, I can promise you the Sheriff will get those charges dropped (Nolle Prosequi) and will find yourself either under an IA or begin written up for something. Trust me I know this from firsthand knowledge there are several deputies that left this agency for just this reason.

The Sheriff had proven time and time again he does not care about the people of this agency and he does very little to improve the moral, it seems to me the Sheriff is more worried about getting his picture made and looking good in front of the citizens than doing what he was elected to do.

It’s time for a change!

09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Pick an agency and read the post in their forum. I guarantee in every forum there is at least one topic (if not more) on this same issue. It doesnt matter where you work or how great of a job you do, if you aren't one of the good' ol boys that you will eventually be shafted.

Go ahead, I dare you. Check for yourself. It must be something in the water being served at the seminars held on behalf of the Florida Sheriff's. Then again it might be the advanced course 305 of employee relations which is taught to all Sheriff's whose employees are unionized.

The grass isnt any greener on the other side of the fence. The only thing to do is look and see where you can make the most money and haul @$$. When you get tired of the BS at the agency you can move on to another agency. Keep doing this and every five years you will have a new job, fresh perspective, and eventually a full retirement.

09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
It is time for a change. He refused to sign a contract that says we won't loose our annual increase and other things. He also WILL NOT guaruntee our medical benefits or something to our families if we are killed in action. He does not give a DAMN about us. Glamore shots galore, Just for Men Hair Formula and living the high life. That's his specialty. Power, control domination, these are the things he covets. Not seeing us suceed. Piss off one of his buddies? IA. His former co-workers say they feel sorry for all those that have to work for him. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

09-19-2007, 10:51 PM
OMG-A $ 50.00 boot increase! We are living the high hog in Santa Rosa.
It's too bad if there is a L.O.D.D. for one of us, our families will have to foot the bill. The admin could give a sh-t less.

This is really sad!

09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
The president of the FOP is not an on-call detective. He would not benefit from call-out pay.

Everything you all are saying has not been written in stone yet. Let's just wait and see what happens before we all jump to conclusions.

09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Why dont we try to stop it before it happens. Once its policy almost impossible to undo it.

09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
It's been a long time since I've been on here. I don't like what I read. It's not what is being said but about what is being said. It's sad but true. After having personal contact with "High Level Senior Staff," there is no doubt they single out certain deputies. There are more complaints on a certain report taker than most deputies but nothing is ever done. If a deputy f's up or is accused of it, they automatically assume the deputy did it. SC is well prepared in advance to carry out the punishment before the inquiry is complete. The sheriff does it too without even looking at the big picture. He doesn't care about anyone of us. He only considers his "High Level Senior Staff" members with the high salaries as the ones whom he considers as "correct." He looks down on deputies as if they are expendable. You may take a bullet, save lives and do the very best but if you piss him off, he acts so vindictive. He refused to allow his admin staff to invoke the contract because of what he was told by SC. "Only the senior staff should get a raise because the deputies have not earned it. The sheriff saidSC "earned his position." It's the same SC that has kissed the rear of every sheriff that he worked for. Nothing against JO and JS. As long as WH is the sheriff we are in for a very rough ride. I don't know Randle or Van Camp. I'm not sure if they are going to be good for us. Whoever runs needs to fight for it. The sheriff's department's morale is at an all time low. Next year, election year, it will be way worse. Time for a change.

09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Someone needs to get their facts straight. SC got the same raise everyone else did which was the guaranteed annual pay raise under Civil Service. Civil Service rule and the Sheriff gives 5% for those with 6 years or less and 2.5% for those over 6 years. As far as the morale issue, when Sheriff Hall took office deputy sheriffs made $22,000 a year today their starting pay is $30,000. Is Sheriff Hall really vindictive or does he have an expectation of professionalism from his deputies that "Stuff" cannot comprehend? As far as the race for Sheriff, just make sure you know your facts before going to vote.

09-23-2007, 03:34 AM
When your sheriff went to work for ECSO, he couldn't spell CAT, but he looked good and came across as a "good ole boy" to the brass that he steady sucked up to. Then he became a homicide investigator and rode on the coat tails of Allen Cotton to get promoted. Allen left, WH got promoted. Unless he's changed since he was at Escambia, he's out for one person...himself.

09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
SO what, you guys got raises. Salty must be one of those "yes men." As ususal from the outside, taken for weight value, he did get you guys a raise. But why? He didn't do it for you. He did it for him. More raises and better pay equates to more deputies. the more deputies and less turn over he gets to smile in front of the cameras and say "this is your Santa Rosa Sheriff's Office." He gets the votes because he "looks good." Over here he was the only deputy I know that spent too much time looking at himself in the mirror. Oh, has he made promises or statements that he didn't keep? Does he jump to conclusions or like what we call, "knee jerk reaction" on everything?

09-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Saltydog11

You must have just skimmed over these posts if you would read them a little more you might see that it’s not all about the money. It’s also about the way the administration is treating deputies and support staff. If you look, the moral is very low and deputies want change. They want someone that will support them when the citizens start complaining and upper administration will not throw them under the bus, but will investigate the complaint before handing out a punishment(s). Also well lookout for them and their families, I don’t think anyone who has posted here is asking for a handout or freebees, they just want something fair. People are expressing they are tired of being miss treated by the administrations and what change. Everyone who has posted in this forum has stated very true facts about the agency.

It’s time for change.

09-29-2007, 01:55 PM
The sheriff has done it again. Our bennies are going to be gone. Our take home cars are next. With all of the layoff going on and all these savings to "john q taxpayer" he managed to provide his "collosal" so-called "Senior Command" staff a healthy 10,000 dollar raise. Unit 2 started at 60 but now almost 90. Time for a change.

10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I will be registering to vote so that I can vote for someone OTHER than Hall...

I'm miffed that he hasn't given the deputies fair raises yet it appears that his admin people got NICE adjustments to THEIR income. He's also not bothered to answer my 2 emails to him with my concerns.

Quicksilver
10-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Did you really like Hall was going to answer your concerns, you might have to drop a little more in the ol’ campaign fund or better yet become someone important in Santa Rosa County and Hall will get all the answers and help you need.

It’s time for a change!

For the ones that want to see who’s actually Pre-Filled and want to see their financial reports click on the Financial Reports link under each candidates name.

Robert Randle
1131 Pearson Rd
Milton, FL 32583
626-1650

Financial Reports (http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/elections/documents/07financials/randle.swf)

Jeffery Van Camp
3912 Tiger Point Blvd
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563
932-7933

Financial Reports (http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/elections/documents/07financials/vancamp.swf)

Wendell Hall
5169 Rove Tr
Pace, FL 32571

Financial Reports (http://www.santarosa.fl.gov/elections/documents/07financials/hall.swf)

10-07-2007, 03:54 PM
You're right Quicksilver, I'm just a mere citizen with no money to give to Hall's campaign fund... I never really thought he would answer my emails... just goes to show what kind of man he really is though doesn't it?

but at least I'm trying to go to bat for the LEO where I live.

The longer Hall ignores me... the louder I will become...

Quicksilver
10-07-2007, 05:12 PM
We need more citizens with guts like you to make a change for all of us, citizen included. We as LEO’s appreciate your help and we all will need to get Louder.

10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
I dont know what Wendell raised last time but if Randle can raise the dough!!

10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Robert Randall's supporters were out campaining for him on Sunday morning in Gulf Breeze. I am not sure about the other districts.

10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Deputies from all 5 districts, plus other divisions are showing thier lack of faith. If he dont un-fu#$ this problem he's going to find out who is really on his side.

Quicksilver
10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Are they showing lack of faith for Robert Randall or lack of faith that things can change if someone else becomes sheriff? This is not the only candidate running; these candidates are going to really have to step it up if they are looking to be sheriff. Deputies are also going to need to step up if they want change in the agency. The only way to do this is to make their Votes Count. Besides I know Hall is not going to be able to un-fu#$ his own mistakes, so I know what side I'm on.

10-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I've heard decent things about Jeff Vancamp and HE at least answered my email, unlike Hall. Jeff Vancamp promises to make deputies and detention deputies a priority (spelling) and states he is against the good ole boy system.

I don't usually vote, in fact, I've never voted in Florida but this election I WILL be voting just not for Hall...

10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Just hope too many candidates' don't jump into the fray and split the vote. Remember, there is no runoff anymore so the incumbent has an advantage if too many other's come in and split the vote.
Trust no one, Wendell is vindictive as hell. AMHIK! :shock:

Quicksilver
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I have not heard anything bad about Vancamp either; let’s just hope whoever the new Sheriff is that he focuses on restoring the moral and supporting the deputy’s of this agency. Blind Pig is right let’s hope there are not too many candidates to split the vote and don’t trust no one, just remember what happened to deputies in the 2004 election.

10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
What happened in '04 to the deputies!??!?!

Jeff Vancamp answered my email both quickly and politely. That in itself impressed me because Hall has ignored me. I am thinking about making an appointment with the sheriff AND the bocc, especially Goodin.

10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Why not contact Robert Randle too? You can email or call him from what's listed on his website. Take time to find out about the guy before you bash him. Seems he's been very active in the community.

Robert Randle's site: www.randleforsheriff.com (http://www.randleforsheriff.com)

Jeff Van Camp's site: www.vancampforsheriff.org (http://www.vancampforsheriff.org)

Wendell Hall's site: www.reelectsheriffhall.com (http://www.reelectsheriffhall.com)

10-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I contacted Mr. Randle as well, today. I am awaiting his response.

From what I hear though, the GBPD have a reputation for being the 'gestapo'. I wonder if he will bring that reputation to the SRSO? I have asked him that question. I also asked him where road deputies rank in importance with him. I asked him about raises and increases as well. I included a question about the BOCC and if he will be willing to stand up against the 'good ole boy' system.

In the end though, candidates can and most likely will, tell me what they think I want to hear... there's no better way to find out about a Sheriff candidate than to hear from the actual deputies working with said candidate.

I want to make an informed choice because I believe each vote is important. That is why I came to the SR LEO forum. To see what SR Deputies are saying about the candidates!

10-09-2007, 01:16 AM
I have a question..

Do you guys/gals think a petition signed by loads of SRC citizens demanding a raise for the deputies would help any?

10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
To the person who contacted Randle... are you in law enforcement? How did you hear of LEOAffairs.com? Just seems like a weird place to come to find out about a candidate. After all, many of these posts on here are so derogatory about people, how could you possibly get a true image of any of the guys running for Sheriff by being on here?

Also, if he replies are you going to post it on here? I'm sure we'd like to see what he's got to say (or type).

10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
No, I'm not in Law Enforcement. Yes Mr. Randle replied, it was a good reply which basically stated that road deputies are the back bone of the agency. He went on to answer all my questions. I can't recall exactly where I heard about leo.com though, sorry.

I have contacted all 3 candidates... 2 have answered, 1 hasn't bothered (Hall). I am not sure their reply should be posted here though as I did not tell them I would be sharing it with anyone.

I believe I already said that I just thought this would be the place to hear about what the actual deputies were saying about the candidates. I was hoping there would be discussion about them from the deputies, since they are on the inside.

I know that in my profession, I am knowledgable (spelling!) about my boss. If I support my boss and deem them 'fair' as an employee that actually says quite a lot.

10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Van Camp and Randle look like they are out rasising some serious cash. If "osmosis" is correct, Hall will get the boot. (I dont know what osmosis means I saw it in another post). Time for a change. Otis, go on. Get yer @## outa here.

Quicksilver
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I have just gotten a chance to get back and see what everyone is posting and it looks like people are really tired of Hall’s ways. Let’s keep up the positive responses and get the word out to the public how Hall really is. It’s time for change!

For the guest that has been writing the candidates, I think you should post their responses, it will only help to reinforce their views. I believe they would want you to post them in a forum to show their views, we would all like to see them. If your concern is they would not want you to share these e-mails then write them and ask them if it would be “OK” to post their responses in the forum. Don’t expect Hall to respond to you because if he hasn’t already he won’t.

As far as all the deputies signing a petition for raises, there was a time when almost all the deputies showed up at the BOCC (at the request of the Sheriff) and with all that backing we still didn’t get crap for raises. Well at least the Sheriff put up one hell of a fight, RIGHT! He sat on his A@@ and waited until everyone else talked and they said some small words. I guess he has never heard of stand up for what is right, BACK YOUR PEOPLE NOT JUST YOUR ADMINISTRATION.

Everyone keep up the good work and let’s try and get the public informed as to what kind of Sheriff Hall really is.

10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
OK, I've thought about it... but first, I only asked a few questions, which were: Where each candidate stood on road deputies, would they stand up against the 'good ole boy' system and would they fight for deputy pay increases.

To Mr. Hall I asked why his admin got huge increases while his deputies only got 1 raise in 5 years... said that I was upset that it was the 2nd. email I was sending and had no response from him yet... can't remember what else I asked, I saved it but can't seem to find it. I will keep looking.

This is the reply from Robert Randle...

My name,
Thank you for your e-mail. As it stands right now the SRCSO does currently have a lower starting salary than some of the surrounding Law Enforcement agencies. Our department (Gulf Breeze) recently negotiated a new three year contract with a new starting salary of $32,000 per year - the highest starting salary in the area. Unfortunately many officers will leave a department if their pay scale is not close to other surrounding agencies. I am a charter member of the Gulf Breeze Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 114 and have been a member since 1980. I spent several years serving on the state wide collective bargaining committee as well as being the collective bargaing representative for the Gulf Breeze PD unit. With that experience and now as Deputy Chief of the Police Department, I have sat on both sides of the bargaining table and am very familiar with collective bargaining and contracts. So, to answer your question, yes the deputies are underpaid. As far as the importance of road deputies, they are the backbone of the organization just as Police patrol officers are. You ask about the good ole boy system. Well. the only way to deal with that is to vote them out of office if you feel it is justified. You and all other voters have that power. You state the GBPD has a reputation for being "gestapo". What the PD has had since I started in 1980 is a reputation for being a very strict traffic enforcement oriented agency who cares a great deal about the citizens they serve. Thus, the result is we have a very low crime rate that all of the citizens love. We have won State awards and have been recognized nationally as well as internationally for the past six years for our innovative approaches to crime, community policing and traffic enforcement efforts. This is what I bring to the table as the Sheriff for Santa Rosa County.
I hope this answers your questions and I would appreciate being the candidate you support in 2008.
Sincerely,
Robert Randle

This is from Jeff Vancamp...

Dear my name,

First a sincere "THANK YOU" for e-mailing me your concerns. I am also
concerned about the "Good ole Boy" system you are referring. Deputies and
Detention deputies will be my priority! First line officers deserve better
pay and a working contract that they do not have at present time. I'am
committed to working with all employees to have a better working
relationship!

My door will always be opened to citizens to listen to their concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeff Van Camp Candidate for Sheriff

Sheriff Hall actually called me today... stating that someone gave me the wrong information, gave his phone number and asked me to call him to set up a time to talk.

10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I’m surprised that Randle did mention that because of Gulf Breezes aggressive traffic enforcement, the residents there have some of the lowest auto insurance rates in the state. A driver in Escambia County driving the same make and model vehicle and who is the same age as one who has a Gulf Breeze address will have significantly higher auto insurance premiums than his Gulf Breeze.

10-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Last post 1st sentence should have read "----didn"t mention---"

10-10-2007, 01:24 AM
last sentence should have ended with "----Gulf Breeze neighbor."

10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Didn't know that about insurance rates... Wow. I guess living in a city with low crime, reduced number of traffic crashes, and a better quality of life actually pays off in the checkbook too.

Unregistered
12-27-2016, 05:20 AM
So you suckers reelected Hall 2 more times then his que ball headed busom buddy Bob. Hows that working out for you?

Unregistered
12-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Fairly well actually. Thank you for asking.

Bull Shat
12-28-2016, 07:30 PM
So you suckers reelected Hall 2 more times then his que ball headed busom buddy Bob. Hows that working out for you?

It sucks ass and donkey nuts. Could be worse, but thankfully, Randle didn't come close. Neither did Roper, Way, Van Camp, and the list goes on.