PDA

View Full Version : POSITION

09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
how many open l.e.o. slots do you all have available at this time. any info would be appreciated! thanks in advance.

09-06-2007, 11:14 PM
That?s a difficult question to answer. The numbers are always fluctuating.

Patrol currently has 4 sergeants, 4 corporals, and about 12 officers (Don?t know if anyone else has quit since I was last at work). These numbers are divided by 4 platoons. So at current maximums there are 5 per shift, however this is a rarity due to training, sick time, vacation time, etc. Total right now in patrol is about 20.

There are 3 on light duty due to injuries/baby.

2 Detectives and 1 officer assigned as in investigator.

4 Lieutenants

1 med center officer, 1 med center sergeant

1 training sergeant

1 crime prevention sergeant

1 captain

1 major

1 chief

I?m probably forgetting a few new hire here or there. I just counted the staff list and counted 36 total sworn members.

I quess we have a total of 53 sworn posistions available however I don't know if that number includes the 4 positions from the off campus grant.

09-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I was told we have 15 vacant spots, that includes the 4 grant funded positions.

09-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Last word I had from the chief was that he was really just concentration on trying to hire certified people. I wish he would hire 4-5 people, me being one of them, and sponsor them to the academy. I would imagine it is tough getting certified people. I would think having some people in the academy and knowing they will be out and ready in 5-6 months. I keep waiting to hear from them.

09-10-2007, 03:29 PM
well, it would be nice for you if the chief hired you and sent you to the academy while paying you to get trained. But our experience here is that most of those we did that for move on to greener pasturs after a year or two or fail to make it here. Since we have so many open slots I think we should only look at certified right now we dont need critical personell in a class room for months. I want more backup on the street as soon as I can get it!

Try enroling in the academy evening class and get your law enforcement cert that way. Then come see us.

Good luck

09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
USFPD is not a bad place to work, but tell me what other agency asks you to sign a 3 yr contract?
It is one thing they send you to academy and ask you to sign up for 3 years.

09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Alot of agencies make you sign contracts to work for them. It is a heavy investment for departments when they hire people.

I think Temple Terrance signs 2 years contracts.

09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
That would be a great idea whiner but no one is offering a night cross over academy. I have the Correctional Officer cert, all I need is a cross over academy that is with in reasonable driving distance and I would be all over it. Most of the colleges I contacted (HCC, PHCC, and St Pete) have no intentions of offering a class. A full night academy is almost 10 months long.
Some one like me that is already in their early 40?s has no desire to go to a bigger dept. I can be completely at home right there. It is a 2 mile drive from the house and I already work for the state so I know all about the wages
I agree that having more certified people immediately is the best move. Having some people in reserve and on their way to fill the void when all the certs don?t show up is a good move as well. Just my opinion