PDA

View Full Version : To the Chiefs

09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Gentlemen,
Please excuse me for writing under a pseudonym, however, the current culture in this department seriously discourages the excersizing of one's first amendment rights. Especially, when the subject matter is disparaging to the administration.
First, before I begin writing my thoughts, Mr. Fernandez, I take umbrage with your description of the lazy and rogue officers as personally as well as professionally insulting. Between serving in the military and as a Police Officer, I have spent the last 22 years, my entire adult life, serving my fellow man, country, and community. I am extremely proud of my service, as are my brothers and sisters in arms are of theirs.
Yesterday, a vote was cast by the rank and file of this department concerning your management of this police department. You act surprised by the outcome , however, I find you to be disingenuous, no surprise there. Then again, how would you know what the true status of the officers are when you are rarely, if ever, actually present.
I can not recall any other chief of this department who has been as frequently absent as you. While you are constantly traveling, promoting yourself, the department has been inexorably disintegrating.
Your greatest mistake was allowing Frank Fernandez to have so much control over the day to day adminstration of the department.
Prior to being elevated to the Deputy Chief position, he was an inexperienced and unproven lieutenant. He utterly lacked the requisite skills needed to manage such a large department.
Even after several management courses, including at least one at Harvard, he continues to lack the capabilities to be an effective leader.
Let us review a few of his mistakes.
Recently, during a Police Involved Shooting, Mr. Fernandez responded to the scene, which in and of itself, is his right. However, once he began to issue orders, he actively injected himself in an ongoing investigation. Taking a role in it's execution.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but among his duties, he chairs the firearm review board, whose function is to review facts presented by internal affairs and determine whether any Departmental Orders were violated, and if so, to recommend discipline.
Please explain, how is one to believe that he would or could remain objective and impartial, as to an investigation in which he took an active role.
This is a classic violation of the Chinese Wall doctrine. The purpose of it being to maintain a seperation between the investigative and administrative bodies in order ensure that an employees rights are upheld. Unfortunately, employee rights are not a major priority to Mr. Fernandez.
Let's look at another Fernandez decision.
It seems, that he has decided that it would be an excellent idea to have NRO's conduct a Post Homicide Analysis. In short, these are concurrent investigations into open homicides. Let's look at just some of the problems here.
1. Any report issued by the NRO's are official documents and therefore subject to discovery.
2. There are several reasons why investigators perform their duties in certain manners, most notably to ensure the safety of witnesses but among other things, to protect the integrity of the case.
3. Should a witness make one statement in the privacy of the station, away from any other witnesses, but makes a different statement to an NRO asking him questions out in public, where God knows who may be listening or watching, you have just succeeded in discrediting that witness on the stand.
4. The photographs which these NRO's are taking of crime scenes do not take into account the fact that they may not accurately depict the scene as it was during the investigation. This will also lead to defense attorneys having the ability to completely discredit physical evidence.
In short, there are an infinite set of issues which Mr. Fernandez's decision has created.
Any attorney will explain the myriad of legal issues regarding this plan.
Which brings me to one of Mr. Fernandezs greatest faults and why his decisions are such failures. He lacks the ability to be sufficiently self critical. Because of his arrogance and his self imposed delusion of infallibillity, he makes decisions without considering the ramifications. he lacks the ability to attack his own theories, probing them for faults or weaknesses.
He has failed to realize that issuing policies which are not thouroughly researched have dire consequences for the administration, in both criminal and civil court, but also affect officer safety as well as the safety of the public we serve.
You have stated that less officers have received discipline than in previous adminstrations. Allow me to present a very easily verifiable theory as to the reason. It is quite simple actually, the current mentalilty of the officers at large is not to engage violent criminals in order to avoid finding themselves in a situation where violent action on their part may be required.
This is not to say that officers are in fear of the offenders, but they are apprehensive as to the reaction of this administration. It is the perception of the rank and file, due directly to Fernandez, that should they find themselves in a postion where action is required on their part, be it a Control of Persons to Deadly Force, that the officer is going to be held accountable for the actions of the offender.
This is a dangerous career field where we understand and accept the fact that we may find ourselves in life threatening situations. We acknowledge this fact yet, we shoulder this responsibility in order that the public be protected from these offenders. This is the career we have chosen and dedicate our lives to.
Because of Fernandez's displays of arrogance, ineptitude and disdain, the public finds itself in the unenviable postion that it's police officers, who are suppossed to protect them are distracted from their primary duties.
Mind you, this will lead to one of two situations. Either crime will become rampant and out of control, which in truth we are not far from now. Or it will lead to a culture of vigilantism. Who could blame a civilian for taking action themselves if the police won't do it for them?
These criminal elements have become emboldened and are currently at the point where they have absolutely no trepidation at engaging officers, with the firm belief that doing so will have no repercussions.
The Lexus issue is a stain on your career which, quite frankly, you lied about. Dishonesty is a death knell in our chosen profession. But the even greater liability to your future is your deputy chief.

09-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Fernandez has a college degree, therefore he is experienced. Sorry!

09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Fernandez has a college degree, therefore he is experienced. Sorry!

The ability to tolerate boredom, complete term paper assignments and pass exams are not guarantees of effectiveness as police command officers. Some of the worse idiots to have ever occupy police command positions have been book worms!' Timoney claims to have a masters degree do I need to type more?

While it helps to have the theoretical training, nothing surpasses COMMONSENSE! The leader's ability to read the environment, the folks working therein and identifying the talent that will compliment him or her not reflect his style. Chief among these attributes is the ability to lead by example, treat those you have the privilege of leading with the same dignity you expect from them. The ability to trust them to do the job for which they were hired especially the sergeants, for they are the key supervisory level that makes the police department function effectively!

09-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanatos and old cop,
These 2 explanations and analysis, are by far, the most comprehensive, and honost analysis ever!!!!
You have hit the nail on the head. Que dios los bendige and from your lips to Franks and gods ears.

Frank u r disliked just for these reasons but there is still a chance. Go to church and pray for the lord to clear your head and for some humility and get rid of Lt. Oliva,cmdr Alfonso,Cmdr.Whitehead,Lt.Locke and others who r bringing you down. Get these men of the road and into offices where they cant continue to destroy morale and maybe u have a chance at FOD.

09-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Since you took the time to write the truth in such a clear and eloquent manner, let me take the time to thank you. He/She...I am sure you will share with me the great sence of satisfaction, when upon reading your post, the Chief and Deputy Chief realize that the gig is up and the fact is that they are as buoyant as the Titanic.

09-06-2007, 02:55 AM
I want to know who was the ignorant fool that equated a college degree with experience. That obviously was meant to elicit a humorous response. No serious minded adult would ever make such an asinine remark. I will give the jerk the benefit of assuming that he/she has a functioning neocortex and that the quote was made during a fit of spontaneous humor. But, your still an ass if you think that a piece of paper equals experience.

09-06-2007, 03:03 AM
That was very well said and thank you for keeping it professional. I hope some people on this site can learn from it. It wasnt insulting, just factual and professional. Thank you.

09-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments.
As far as the comment equating a college education with experience, clearly it was written in jest.
Back to my main point. I am reasonably certain that throughout his career, Mr. Fernandez has attended numerous Police Management Courses. I have no doubt that he has been imparted with every possible theory, model, practice, rule, regulation, law, and so forth, applicable to his position.
Where Mr. Fernandez runs into problems is when he attempts to apply that knowledge to real life situations. He lacks either the ability or capability to recognize, assess, formulate solutions, and execute appropriate actions.
By the way, I intentionally used tactical terms in the hopes that he might better understand my points. Mr. Fernandez, not everything can be handled by a tactical response, you must give proper consideration to strategic solutions. Unfortunately, this requires sufficient forethought and extensive planning, as well as experience in their execution. In other words, to put it simply, it's the theory of the carrot and the stick. It requires a deft hand, fluid thought processes and flexibility. Attributes, which you have yet to demonstrate.
Let us look at a member of our department who has consistently demonstrated these qualities, AC Tom Cannon. This is not to be taken as an endorsement, merely as an example of effective leadership.
To begin with, AC Cannon is a Man before a Cop, and a Cop before an Administrator. Just because he may be in a position of authority, he does not treat his subordinates with anything less than the utmost respect. He is approachable and social.
However, I do not believe that anyone in this department is under the impression that should AC Cannon were to have to impose discipline, that he would not do so. The important difference is that I have every confidence that any discipline imposed would be fair and impartial. This requires the careful weighing of mitigating as well as aggravating factors concerning an incident viewed on a case by case basis.
More importantly though, is that AC Cannon has the experience to appropriately assess a situation, and even more importantly deal with the situation in a reasonable and professional manner, regardless of the situation. This is a direct result of an extensive amount of experience coupled with common sense.
Additionally, AC Cannon is not above seeking the opinions of his subordinates who may have more experience with given scenarios or complicated scenes and/or cases. Remember, part of leadership is the proper utilization of resources at your disposal. Your ego would never allow you to stoop so low as to ask an officer of lesser rank, regardless of their particular expertise, for advice.
Not to bring up a painful experience for Mr. Fernandez, but a shining example of AC Cannon's leadership was manifested during FTAA, when he recognized a threat posed by directives given by Fernandez, countermanded them and handled the situation accordingly. In his recognition and correction of Mr. Fernandez's mistakes, not only did he first and foremost protect his troops, but probably saved Fernandez from himself.
Mr. Fernandez you should not only be thanking AC Cannon on a daily basis, but I highly recommend you begin to seek his counsel rather than turning to the sycophants you have surrounded yourself with.
Word of advice to certain commanders, place the safety and well being of your subordinates over your personal allegiance to any one man and you might begin to understand the concepts of true leadership.
What say you, my brothers and sisters?

09-06-2007, 07:30 AM
You speak the truth. But Mr Fernandez is too busy thinking up more slurs against everyone who has worn a Miami Police Uniform to even come close to understanding you. He believes he is perfection and we his subjects. He will never admit he is wrong as that would shatter his perception of his invincibility. And a college degree? Does not mean you have common sense, which is needed in law enforcement. And I would rather have an armed forces veteran for my partner than any college grad.

09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanatos, you said to correct you if your wrong. YOOR WRONG with your analysis of the dept and why the NRO's have a function in their NET areas when a 31 takes place. To all the others who have a problem with the words lazy you must fall into this category because 90% of us are not and you few make this place harder not the chief or the deputy.

09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanatos, you said to correct you if your wrong. YOOR WRONG with your analysis of the dept and why the NRO's have a function in their NET areas when a 31 takes place. To all the others who have a problem with the words lazy you must fall into this category because 90% of us are not and you few make this place harder not the chief or the deputy.

YOU'RE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM OR HAVE BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK....GET A CLUE !

09-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Mr/Ms what the f,
Of course you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, however, I would suggest you research your facts prior to publishing your comments.
Nowhere in my statement did I say that NRO's do not perform important functions in modern policing. Quite the contrary, they are an integral means of direct communication between residents and business owners and the Police Department.
However, when they are being tasked to involve them themselves in complicated, lengthy, and very technical investigations for which they are not properly trained, equiped nor prepared for is a folly that any officer can recognize.
If you are truly an officer, then allow me to make a recommendation. The next time you are at the SAO, present the situation of an NRO conducting a concurrent Homicide investigation, seperate from the one being conducted by the detectives, and allow them to begin to explain the legal issues.
As far as your comments regarding the lazy remark, your assertion is beneath dignifying it with a response.

09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
THANTOS:

Dear brother, thought you might enjoy this article! Interesting association! Why?

http://miamisunpost.com/0906murmurs.htm

09-07-2007, 04:07 AM
How are you brother? It seems like we only get to speak when there is controversy afoot. But always a pleasure to hear from you.
It is a very interesting sighting. However, it may be something as innocuous as a meeting with colleagues to discuss his current predicament and seek their advice.
Now, Timoney may be accused of many things, but not looking out for his financial interest is not one of them.
The sighting could very well be an informal business meeting, where he is planning his exit strategy.
I guess time will tell.
Maybe we can get a hold of Chronos, he may have some info,,,LOL

09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
How are you brother? It seems like we only get to speak when there is controversy afoot. But always a pleasure to hear from you.
It is a very interesting sighting. However, it may be something as innocuous as a meeting with colleagues to discuss his current predicament and seek their advice.
Now, Timoney may be accused of many things, but not looking out for his financial interest is not one of them.
The sighting could very well be an informal business meeting, where he is planning his exit strategy.
I guess time will tell.
Maybe we can get a hold of Chronos, he may have some info,,,LOL

Doing grand keeping my eyes open, while others pretend to sleep! A seemingly dignified exit strategy, huh? What an interesting proposition my sentiments exactly! We shall see?

All the best,

Hypnos

09-08-2007, 03:25 AM
If we keep this issue in the court of public opinion, it may work, but I think you only have next week, and if nothing happens by next week, it will not. Even the news media gets tired of this.

Thanatos you write really well and should not stop!

09-08-2007, 06:50 AM
FERNANDEZ HAS DONE SOME GOOD. LETS NOT FORGET THE HOUR CHANGE FOR A AND B SHIFTS AT THE SOUTH, EQUALL DISCIPLINE.

THERES OTHER THINGS BUT I WOULD NEED A NEWSPAPER TO MENTION THEM.