PDA

View Full Version : Lee County sheriff's Explorer Killed

09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Lee County police Explorer dies from wound suffered on the job

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A 20-year-old participant in a police apprenticeship program has died from a gunshot wound he suffered while trying to stop a robbery.

Gerald Rabon, who was a Lee Sheriff's Department Explorer, was shot in the head while struggling with two robbery suspects at a gas station last week. He died Friday while receiving treatment at Lee Memorial Hospital.

"My son was a good kid. He should not have died the way he did," said Gail Rabon, choking back tears. She and her late husband adopted Rabon when he was 10. Gail Rabon described her son's biological father as a career criminal and said her son decided to take a different path.

"He made the right choices in his life," Gail Rabon said.

The sheriff's department planned to seek a murder charge against the suspects, Iris Moreland, 27, and Chad Moreland, 24, who is accused of firing the shot that hit Rabon. They currently face a robbery charge.

The Explorer program, like many across the country, seeks to teach teenagers and young adults about law enforcement.

"I just felt a pit in my stomach when I saw that (sheriff's) star and his identification card at the hospital that night," said Sheriff Mike Scott. "He was a good kid. He really seemed to gravitate toward law enforcement. I think he just liked the whole idea of being there for others."

Neighbor Rudy Lampron said he wasn't surprised Rabon would struggle with a gunman.

"He was that kind of kid," Lampron said. "He was always looking to do the right thing."

http://www.miamiherald.com/775/story/222906.html

**Information** The family of Gerald had thier memorial services yeesterday.

09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Gerald thank you for your service, you are a hero, who knows what these people would have done to someone else had you not stepped in. God speed brother.

09-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I’m sorry to hear about this it seems all to often great hero's are called to the gates above while serving their community, its just important to remember to watch your back out there guys these criminals do not know nor do they care that a Explorer is not a Deputy or Officer. God bless you and all the other fallen hero’s. May you rest in peace and may we remember you and what you stood for.

BROTHER AND SISTERS LET US STAND ARM TO ARM SHOULDER TO SHOULDER AND UNITE AS ONE. HEROS LIVE FOREVER!!!

MOD 1
09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
This thread started great and went bad. It is now locked.

Mod 1

MOD 43
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for back up Mod 1.