PDA

View Full Version : Hiring within?

08-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Has anyone else noticed the trend of our department letting possible police applicants go. We keep hiring applicants from outside the department and our own people are turned away without a fair shot. Not to say that the outside applicants aren't quantified, but we have many qualified applicants within. You would think that if our Dispatchers, PSA's, Ect want to continue a career as a police officer our department would love to have them aboard, but that seams to not be the case. Just offering up an observation.

08-30-2007, 02:23 AM
its more important to keep the PSA's and ship them to CIS for them to solve burglaries.
you know the officers are not important when the PSA's are getting new vehicles.
dont get me wrong the PSA's work the butts off just to keep the dayshifters from moving from their shade tree and well doing their jobs.
the city has always done everything they can to keep from being full staff.
ask your self this question. if the p.d. is budgeted for lets say 250 officers and we only have 235 working then where is the money going that is budgeted for the other non existent officers. better yet ask the union to ask the city that question.

AFOR
08-30-2007, 03:48 PM
The PSAs are the hardest working members of the agency. They drove our hand me down cars for years. If anyone deserved new cars it was them. They willingly respond to and handle the calls that the day shift officers will not. They need their own supervisor. Someone who will speak for them, and help them in their attempts at career advancement. They are used and abused, and have no chance for advancement. The only hope for some is to get through the academy and hit the streets as an officer. Unfortunately admin doesn't see that as a priority. When we hire PSAs we tell them it is a stepping stone to officer, and can show them the proof in those that have been allowed to do that. There should be a more structured plan available to all of them. All employees should have a chance at advancement.

08-31-2007, 06:43 PM
i agree with you AOR that the PSA's should be allowed to advance up the ranks per say.
it is solely the dayshift officers and supervisors that allow the PSA's to be used and abused. if , ike your say, the PSA's are handling calls the officers wont, then maybe those officers should seek other employment. those are probably the same officers that cant pass the supervisors test or just complain about the process but never get out there and change it. POWER TO THE PSA'S..........

09-01-2007, 12:32 AM
AFOR I couldn't have said that better myself. However, I do have to correct you. You see the PSA position, has a lot of room for advancement, is a stepping stone, and is amazingly well structured. Just so happens it's structured for them to advance and step on the stones to another department...lol. It's ok though, after all of our PSA's leave to be officers elsewhere day shift will figure out how to 10-65 all the 21's.

09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Let's get some things straight. First off the PSA's do handle a alot and do deserve new cars. Second, the PSA's purpose is to handle reports that do not require an officer so that the officer's are available for in progress calls, this is extremely important due to the current lack of manpower. And finally to the obvious rookie who posted, the veteran officers were working 21's while you were still sitting in your soiled diaper and eating your boogers. Quit your complaining, put in 10 years and then bid for dayshift. At which time you will probably be one of the j___ offs who abuse them.

09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
AT LEAST THE LAST POST ADMITS THAT DAYSHIFT ABUSES THE PSA'S.
I WAS HOPING THAT YOU WOULD GO WITH THE " IVE VALTOX TESTED MORE DOPE THAN YOU HAVE PACKED FOR EVEIDENCE". I LOVE THAT CLASSIC LINE.
I FORGOT, DAYSHIFTERS NEVER SEE DOPE.
I HAD A SENIOR AND I MEAN THE SENIOR DAYSHIFTER ASK ME WHAT I WAS PACKAGING ONE TIME. THE DOPE WAS METH.....MAYBE THEY WILL LET ALL HIS EXPERIENCE TRAIN SOMEONE.
MAYBE HE WILL GO TO NIGHTS DURING THE NEW T.O.

09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
In reference to the comments about PSAs, you are correct in that they, for the most part, are the hardest working members of the Patrol Division. There is current a proposal to allow the PSAs and Comm Center personnel to attend the Police Academy as a means of progressing their careers. In the past we did allow this, such as Sgt. Woolverton, who was a Comm Spec. The issue became sending someone who occupied a current slot (PSA or Comm) and tying up a sworn slot at the same time. The Department could not attempt to fill the PSA/Comm Spec slot until the individual completed the Academy training. Hopefully the new proposal will resolve the issues and we can again begn to send these folks that have demonstrated their commitment and work ethic. Also understand they all do not necessarily meet the Department standards for sworn officers.

In regards to the PSA cars being "hand me downs", this is incorrect, they were new when issued to the PSAs, but were not Police Packages, which assisted to their poor maintenance records. Hopefully they will all be replaced (half have been replaced already) in the near future.

09-08-2007, 06:12 AM
LOL, alert tones? in progress calls? how long has it been since anyone listened to the radio between 9p and 4a? You think DAYshift has 10-8 in progess calls? What, a 54 hold up? 10-97 southside, 10-97 northside, 77, make the call...........my heart just skipped a beat, that was stressful and my god..... and it required a friggin FAR!!!!!!!!!! Where's my heart medication? "### on Alpha, I got one running from me , NB on ....." (simulataneously) Lakeland all units, Charlie is gonna be 10-33, Sig 56 just occurred, suspect, BM, last seen running....." meanwhile on Bravo Ch........"### copy a rollin 28, coming back sig 10.........., confirm that, have we got the air unit up? Can you advise on K-9?......Lakeland I'm 10-31 WB on New Tampa, speeds 90mph, conditions...... "## have units from south 10-80 to Charlie to assist......northside, request PCSO and FHP ref. the sig 10 WB toward plant city......." Come on people, fact of the matter is the PSAs would be EXTREMELY useful if assigned to the nightshift, if nothing more than as acting as SDO. That'd free up at least one officer to work those in progress calls. Well with the on going IA's, maybe not, but hey how bout we let the has-been's continue to abuse those hardworking PSAs and then complain when they get a new car. Guess that's a "perk" of day shift, you get to do next to nothing. Some of them wonder why I won't bid day's given my seniority. ( I still like to work with real COPS, kind of gives me a sense of accomplishment)

09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
for a short period of time PSA's were working nightshift on the SDO. A certain deputy chief who cant walk to his car said it was too dangerous to have PSA's at the desk at night.
Once the glass was installed at the SDO the issue was never revisited.
It's ridiculous to have an officer at the desk, especially a pregnant officer. doesnt the pregnant officer still have duty to act. id like to see that law suit.
then in the infinite wisdom of the all mighties, they took the good PSA's and put them in CIS to work burglaries.
i challenge you to pull up the "to be approved " reports that Swick types everyday. whos really doing the work up there?
get the cops on the streets and the citizens at the desk. heck just close the front door like most departments do at night. you wont see a deputy workng a desk at the main SO or at a sub station.

stand stiff.....errrr strong

09-10-2007, 08:07 AM
In reference to the comments about PSAs, you are correct in that they, for the most part, are the hardest working members of the Patrol Division. There is current a proposal to allow the PSAs and Comm Center personnel to attend the Police Academy as a means of progressing their careers. In the past we did allow this, such as Sgt. Woolverton, who was a Comm Spec. The issue became sending someone who occupied a current slot (PSA or Comm) and tying up a sworn slot at the same time. The Department could not attempt to fill the PSA/Comm Spec slot until the individual completed the Academy training. Hopefully the new proposal will resolve the issues and we can again begn to send these folks that have demonstrated their commitment and work ethic. Also understand they all do not necessarily meet the Department standards for sworn officers.

In regards to the PSA cars being "hand me downs", this is incorrect, they were new when issued to the PSAs, but were not Police Packages, which assisted to their poor maintenance records. Hopefully they will all be replaced (half have been replaced already) in the near future.

I always appreciate when the ACOP shows up............

AFOR
09-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I always appreciate when the ACOP shows up............

Its the next best thing to caring...or even pretending to care...

09-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Ok, to move the PSA's to nightshift will just allow more people to abuse them. Day or night, it will be done...

Next, the PSA's have never, to my knowledge worked nights. At one time, they worked until 10, for a short period of time. I remember the good old days when an Officer, then later an Officer and a PSA worked the desk during the day. I hate to break it to you, but it's busy during the day.

Lazy people are the issue, day or night, doesn't matter.

As for those who wanna whine about the cars, the PSA's drove hand-me-down cars for years, then in 2000 they got those crappy Taurus - wanna be patrol cars. That was 7 years ago, same time frame the Officers keep their cars.

As for the "hardest" working PSA's being sent to CID - don't know about that. The rest of them more than earn their money.

Let's support the people who are there to support us. At the rate things are going, they may be your backup........

09-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Ok, to move the PSA's to nightshift will just allow more people to abuse them. Day or night, it will be done...

Next, the PSA's have never, to my knowledge worked nights. At one time, they worked until 10, for a short period of time. I remember the good old days when an Officer, then later an Officer and a PSA worked the desk during the day. I hate to break it to you, but it's busy during the day.

As for those who wanna whine about the cars, the PSA's drove hand-me-down cars for years, then in 2000 they got those crappy Taurus - wanna be patrol cars. That was 7 years ago, same time frame the Officers keep their cars.

As for the "hardest" working PSA's being sent to CID - don't know about that. The rest of them more than earn their money.

Let's support the people who are there to support us. At the rate things are going, they may be your backup........

09-14-2007, 01:07 AM

09-14-2007, 01:09 AM

s77ette
09-16-2007, 04:47 AM
PSA's are undoubtably the most hard working members of LPD next to dispatchers. they are the ones running from "report call" to "report call". unlike certain dayshift officers, they are the ones continuously putting forth extreme effort in picking up the slack as far as taking the extra few minutes to see if a scene can be dusted instead of just classifying it as "not conducive ref weather conditions" and so on. while most believe PSA's should not complain about getting bogged down with report after report because it is infact part of their job description, it is not in their job description to get shafted on half the calls they get stuck on because a LEO decided they were going to sit back and be lazy. most of the PSA's have actual sworn and certified members asking for help on how to complete s10 recoveries or similar calls that they end up having to do. this is because officers get too caught up in running calls for service that can be just that, "serviced" out.

as far as PSA's receiving new vehicles, one shouldn't be so jealous.. you're doing half the paperwork they are. the only thing that separates a LEO from a PSA are STANDARDS. ultimately, they deserve new play toys too. they, also, are humping calls. their calls just happen to be more tedious than a "i came, i saw, i solved a simple issue" call.

now dont get me wrong, im sure LPD has a great shift of day officer's, i just think theyre too spoiled with how much a PSA does for them. unfortunately most officers never worked a lesser thought of job such as that, therefore hey do become jealous of PSA getting a new car, and to that i say grow up!

its petty and i say quit walking over your PSA's, support them and be happy for them. one day they will be s50 for you from a different agency because they are smarter than to just stay at an agency where they are constantly getting ****ed around.

09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
its official, i have heard it all..
the last post said that psa's are the hardest working people next to dispatchers. if you mean watching cable t.v. and eating ho ho's and drinking diet pepsi all night then yes, dispatchers are the hardest workers in the world.
maybe discovery channel can do a special on dispatchers. it would come on in primetime and replace the deadliest catch.
when was the last dispatcher killed in the line of duty, other than eating themselves into a coma or watching so much jerry springer they went blind.
i feel sorry for cid when the third floor where dispatch is finally collapses under all that stress.
thanks to all you dispatchers for making our job possible, without you we would be nothing and the world would stop rotating.

09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
the last post said that psa's are the hardest working people next to dispatchers. if you mean watching cable t.v. and eating ho ho's and drinking diet pepsi all night then yes, dispatchers are the hardest workers in the world.
maybe discovery channel can do a special on dispatchers. it would come on in primetime and replace the deadliest catch.
when was the last dispatcher killed in the line of duty, other than eating themselves into a coma or watching so much jerry springer they went blind.
i feel sorry for cid when the third floor where dispatch is finally collapses under all that stress.
thanks to all you dispatchers for making our job possible, without you we would be nothing and the world would stop rotating.

Dunt firgit teh grate spelin they due! Gerade A

09-19-2007, 03:43 PM
a lot of you seem to be missing something here. first off the psa cars are used everyday and are shared. they do not get their own car like officers. so when a psa car is 5 or 6 years old, remember that it has been used twice as much as an officers vehicle has. As one member mentioned the cars are not police packaged, yet they run all day, and have the extra equipment , so no wonder they break down all the time. The only reason the psa's have new cars already, after being screwed up by the motor pool and ordered wrong, is that the police cars are somewhere making trips between here and jacksonville, again thanks to the great motor pool.

when it comes to giving the psa's a chance at becoming an officer, the department must other criteria for who it hires to go to the police academy instead of a good loyal person, who already knows most of the job. there also used to be another job for psa's to go to. It was called a PSA II position, but when some of the psa's asked about it, their civilian deputy cheif told them there was no such thing, then had it deleated from the citys pay plan. telling them that it never existed.

as for those day shift officers , it is amazing that an officer can locate a s-10 then call for a psa to recover it, and he takes a 10-8 or just sits there still 10-6 watching the psa do the recovery. now that is LAZY. of the officer that responds to the door kicked in, checks the residence, then calls for a PSA, waits 15 minutes for them to get there then leaves. In that time he could of had the job done.

this job is not that hard people.

09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
SORRY FOR POSTING THAT 4 TIMES.......DIDN'T THINK IT TOOK!!

ANYWAY, JUST APPRECIATE THE HELP YOU HAVE WITH THE PSA'S....AT THE RATE WE'RE GOING, MOST OF THE OFFICERS WILL BE TERMINATED WHEN THEIR I.A.'S ARE COMPLETED..........

WELL, ON SECOND THOUGHT, WE DON'T FIRE ANYONE HERE

09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Picture this... Ring Ring Ring, line #1, Ring Ring Ring line #2 up to how many lines does that freggin SDO phone have? I pick up the phone, officer my house is on fire! Hold on dispatch is sending down in progress calls again! Line #2 Yeah, umm my baby daddy slapped me! Hold please--- "Excuse me, I see your talking on 6 lines but someone stole my credit credit and used it at 15 places in Lakeland.. Oh, just give me a quick second to type those 15 separate reports! Yes separate reports! > BUZZ, BUZZ crap someone wants in down in Book-In, even though they know the code..BUZZ, Just a second!! Ring Ring Ring!!! More lines, more lines, more lines!! Officers come up "Hey can you do me a favor?"...Meanwhile one phone to each ear, typing a report, pushing the Book-In button with my foot, while giving someone directions to Munn park, yes Munn Park!! Give me a break. Citizens stands at the window "This is rediculous I have been waiting here for 7 min.!!!! I want to talk to your supervisor! Officers walk up and quickly walk away, never offering to help, get food or drink, or just cover for a 5 min.break.... The desk is busy during the day!!!! But the street is no different. 10-65 21R..The reportee advised approx. 5 mobile homes broken into, other PSA's cant help because they have been ordered by Sgt's to work on TAC projects because they can't get the officers to do it and their tired of fighting with them. AH, we can just make a PSA do it, right? That is what everyone's been saying for years "We can have a PSA handle that" Read the SOP, we are already going above and beyond what we are supposed to be doing. We out there standing by the officers sides at gas leaks, fires and everything else, and are the first to respond to fatal accidents and hold hands of people who are dying, yet we are not considered first responders or emergency workers. We are standing next to officers at accidents where if they get hit by a car they're covered by the city, but we are not offered those same benifits. If something we to happen to me, my family is on their own. We aren't allowed to work any S15's including directing traffic at baseball games.. Most of us can't afford to live on our own, thats humiliating! Even though we are stretched to our limit, that's fine, but we are not covered for that which we are asked to do in our duties. So why should we bend over backwards for nothing? As far as the cars, we were jumping our cars every morning in the parking lots, breaking down on the side of the road, meanwhile dispatch "10-52 to 10-8 we have 3 21'V's pending for you. One by one the PSA's have been pushed to their breakin point and we've already lost quite a few. Eventually either the third floor will get tired of all the complaining and do away with the program completely, or we will all move on to something else. Don't get me wrong most of us are eager to work and help out, but there aren't many up sides to our job, so when people are talking about putting us at the desk at night and asking even more from us, it's just one more weight on our shoulders, anything else?

09-20-2007, 11:57 PM
IF I WERE A PSA I WOULD RATHER WORK THE DESK AT NIGHT. I WORKED THE DESK DURING MY PATROL TIME AND IT WAS A LOT CALMER DURING THE NIGHT. AFTER ABOUT 10 THE NATIVES GO TO SLEEP OR ARE TOO WASTED TO CALL.
OCCASIONALLY YOU DO GET A CLUSTER AT THE DESK BUT THERES A REASON CABLE T.V. IS INSTALLED AT THE DESK AND ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE TIME TO WATCH IT.
IF YOU DONT WANT TO HANDLE THE CALLS, AT THE DESK OR ON THE STREETS, MARCH UP TO 5800 N. RD. 98 AND ASK FOR AN APPLICATION.
IM SURE WAL MART WILL HIRE YOU SINCE YOU ARE THE HARDEST WORKER EVER BUILT BY HUMANS.
LET ME KNOW HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU....

09-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Maybe this will make things a little clearer. The majority of the tensions between officers and PSA's is a result of dispatch. Almost every call that comes in has suspect information because "so and so is mad at me or my baby daddy did it". The problem is that the correct questions are not asked by intake, i.e. did you or someone else witness this and if so describe the suspect and direction of travel. So Officer Friendly gets dispatched and arrives to find out there isn't dizzack, but a 21 or 39 or 51 or whatever without witnesses or evidence needed to make a charge. Then the officer is made to seem like a jerk or lazy because he is dumping on PSA's for asking dispatch to send one. So PSA thinks, "they are there so why not just handle it?". Answer: Because my zone partner may be on a 10-50 without even a drive by, much less 10-99, or a hot in progress call goes out requiring all of the few available officers. "Sorry partner, would have been there to help you but I was throwing print dust around". Hopefully this is not said at a hospital bed or God forbid a funeral. PSA's we do appreciate what you do, you do make our jobs easier. You have to remember what your job entails and that is taking reports which do not require an officer. If that means that the call pends for three hours then so be it. If it keeps one of us from getting hurt or killed it is worth it. I do agree that you guys should be considered first responders and your title clearly states that you are public safety personel and you should recieve better pay and benefits. Hopefully this will give you some insight from the officers' perspective. Our main goal every day is to ensure that ourselves and our brothers/sisters make it home to their family at the end of the shift. That takes priority over Joe Blows report without suspect information which will not even be assigned to a detective for follow up. Just keepin it real. :roll:

09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't mind handling calls, it is my job to do so. When we are short on the street most of us do keep officer safety in mind and handle calls that we shouldn't just to keep officers 10-8. I have had many a report rejected and a Sgt. says "An officer should have handled this". Of course that depends on the Sgt. you send it to. I can't speak for all the PSA's but I know I keep my ears open and when I hear an officer get dispatched to a 21 or 51 with "suspect information" I usually either speak up and the radio for that officer to advise when he gets there if it really is "Suspect information" or if I know the officer well I will call him/her on the cell phone and let them know I will be around the corner if I'm needed.. I don't mind when an officer says "Send a PSA" because I understand the man power shortage, last week we had 3 officers to one side of town. That is insane. I don't mind working hard, it makes the day go by faster. Yes I agree, dispatch has caused friction between PSA's and officers. I have been dispatched to calls where the suspect is still 10-97 because intake didn't ask enough questions. I understand people make mistakes but I don't want to end up hurt or dead because of a mistake like that. I have nothing to protect myself with, except my spray which I dare not spray anyone with because when I was sprayed "I could still fight" Yeah, its sucked but it just pissed me off. There are officers that watch out for us, very few, but those of you that do are greatly appreciated. As far as the TV at the SDO comment, some days you might have an hour or so where it is calm. Like on Sundays or when it's raining, but most of the time I don't have time to watch it and that's the truth. In fact it was an officer that origanlly brought it up there and left it when he left. Maybe he had time to watch it because he serviced everything. Some of you know who I am talking about...LoL!!!!.... People have to understand the PSA's get frustrated with a lot of things, as do officers, but the main thing that concerns me is not the work, but being coverered by the city of that which we are asked to do. That is my beef. If some of us take our frustration out on officers then I'm sorry for that. But usually its just a handful of them that drive us crazy. As far as working the desk at night, that's not really a big deal, I don't necesarily want to, but who does? But if we're going to in fact handle more work then we should at least get more pay or more coverege and I think most officers agree with us on that. It not yall's fault we don't get payed more...

AFOR
09-21-2007, 03:47 PM
This above is true, and well said. But I still feel that the PSAs are some of the hardest working members of the department. They perform an invaluable service, do the grunt work, and get little or no respect, or even acknowledgment. I still feel that they need their own supervisor. One that is completely in tune with the needs and career desires of a PSA, not of that of an officer or civilian. The PSA falls somewhere in between the categories of officer and civilian.

If an officer arrives on-scene and finds that the call has been dispatched incorrectly, a PSA should be sent to handle it. Where the problem comes is where the officer has been on scene for up to an hour, then calls for a PSA. Or if the PSA arrives and the officer stays on scene, out of service, watching the PSA handle the call.

No one is saying that the PSAs are perfect or carrying the weight of the department on their shoulders. But it should be acknowledged that they do work hard, doing the jobs that the officers would rather not do. I do not want to hit the streets without the PSAs.

09-23-2007, 07:12 PM
FOR THE GUEST WHO PREVIOUSLY STATED "IF I WERE A PSA I WOULD RATHER WORK THE DESK AT NIGHT" THE FACT REMAINS, YOU AREN'T A PSA AND YOU WOULDN'T BE ONE KNOWING THE WORK LOAD YOU WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR @ $15.00 AN HOUR AFTER 7+ YEARS OF SERVICE. FOR A ONE INCOME HOUSEHOLD THIS TRANSLATES TO SCRAPING BY EVERY TWO WEEKS TO PAY BASIC BILLS. NO LUXURY ITEMS, AT ALL, EVER. NO VACATIONS OUT OF TOWN AND LORD FORBID THERE IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY WITH THE LOVELY HEALTH INSURANCE PROVIDED. WHAT IF THE ONLY CAR YOU OWN BREAKS DOWN? WHAT IF AN APPLIANCE BREAKS? WHAT ABOUT THE UPKEEP ON A HOME THAT IS 40 YEARS OLD THAT YOU LIVE IN BECAUSE YOU DON'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO HAVE A NEWER HOME? WHAT IF MY CHILD NEEDS HELP? WHAT IF A PET BECOMES ILL? WHAT IF THE ELECTRIC BILL KEEPS SKYROCKETING? THE MAJORITY OF THE PSAs CONSIDER THEIR JOB A CAREER, NOT JUST A JOB, THEY ACTUALLY ENJOY WHAT THEY DO. IT IS HARD TO READ SOME OF THE POSTS ON HERE BECAUSE YOU DO GET THE FEELING THAT COWORKERS FEEL PSAs ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH AND WHAT THE PSAs ARE DOING IS NOT APPRECIATED. TRY TO IMAGINE HOW IT FEELS TO LOVE WHAT YOU DO, GIVE 100 PERCENT, RUN FROM CALL TO CALL TO CALL, FIND YOURSELF DOWN 5 OR 6 REPORTS TRYING TO CATCH UP AND REPEATING THIS EVERY DAY YOU WORK KNOWING IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND YOU WILL NOT BRING HOME ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY BASIC LIVING EXPENSES. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT SWORN PERSONNEL ARE ROLLING IN THE DOUGH, FAR FROM IT. BUT IT WOULD BE NICE IF PEOPLE WOULD ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT PSAs SERVE THE PUBLIC AND THE OFFICERS FOR VERY LITTLE BENEFIT. TO THOSE WHO HAVE POSTED POSITIVE FEEDBACK REGARDING PSAs: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. AS I STATED BEFORE, THIS IS NOT JUST A JOB, IT IS A CALLING (NO ONES IN IT FOR THE MONEY :lol: )

09-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Why aren't PSAs covered by our union? If we supported them, we would want them to join us to get better work conditions. Did someone turn them down or did no one ask?

09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING (AND PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!) THAT AS EMPLOYEES CLASSIFIED AS CIVILIAN, NON-FIRST RESPONDER, NON-EMERGENCY, NON-ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL, PSAs CANNOT BE REPRESENTED BY ANY POLICE UNION DUE TO THEIR JOB CLASSIFICATION.

BECAUSE OF THEIR JOB CLASSIFICATION THE PSAs CAN'T WORK FULL DAYS ON SATURDAYS. WHERE ARE ALL THE PSAs ON SATURDAY? THEY HAVE TO GO HOME EARLY OR COME IN LATE SO AS NOT TO EARN THE BUILT IN OVERTIME. ASK ANY OF THEM AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THEY WOULD LOVE TO WORK A FULL SHIFT SATURDAY BUT ARE NOT ALLOWED TO. THAT LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA MONEY WOULD HELP GREATLY!

I HAVE A SNEAKING SUSPICION THAT IF A UNION WERE TO APPROACH THE PSAs AND THE HIGHER UPS GOT WIND OF IT, THE PSA PROGRAM WOULD BE DISCONTINUED. IT FEELS LIKE A LOSE/LOSE SITUATION.

09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
ok, not to beat a dead horse, but we should consider sending our own employees to the academy first, rather than hire total strangers who may or may not even make it through the academy, as is the case several times now with people who will skate through the system because a new, non sworn deputy chief allows it.

at least three times now new applicants that LPD has sponsored haven't made it through the academy and had to finish on their own.
'
we send people through the FTO program and try to get rid of them, but no one around here seems to get fired.

the logical issue with the PSA's is to pay them at least what the Comm center gets paid.

I have been here long enough now to have fought for each of the causes someone has brought up in this forum. The fact of the matter is when you were hired as a PSA, you knew you were not a first responder. This hasn't changed in the ten years I have been here, and it's not apt to change. Pay us more money, and let's get back to seniority playing a part in things around here. Experience does matter.

Thanks to alot of the Officers who do bust their butts, there will always be lazy people, no matter what job you do.

More pay, more respect, that's all I want - oh yeah, maybe my own car - another subject in itself.

Fire the people who aren't cutting it, or who have been involved in an I.A. since they started here.

The issue at hand was hiring from within, which we don't do anymore because if you want to go to the academy, you pay for it, and have to go part time, which takes most of the year. Your time on at the department doesn't count once you get hired on as sworn - that in itself is wrong.

Most of us cannot afford to send ourselves to the academy, nor should we have to when we see some of the people the department has paid to send. In some cases, not money well spent.

Good luck in your fight to be reclassified - we've tried it, and were turned down flat.

10-13-2007, 06:25 AM

You are your own worst enemy. I feel sorry for the citizens you serve. You sound so angry. Why? Because one poster thinks dispatchers work hard? Are YOU the only person at that dept. that works hard? You know the saying.... People in glass houses.... or... Walk a mile in someone else's shoes...

10-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Looks like the department may be stepping up and actually hiring someone from within. Not sure how true this is, but I have heard that the department is about to be sending a PSA through the academy here very soon. I'm curious to see if this will be a common practice or is this a once in a life time thing. Nice to see that finally a PSA gets what they deserve and what was promised to them.

10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
it's official, i have heard it all..

Reply, not that this deserves one.
For the officer, and I'm sure you are an officer, who wrote that dispatchers are busy drinking pepsi, watching TV and eating hoho's, I only have one thing to say....There is a seat up here with your name on it. We promise we will put our hoho's down long enough to help you when you get lost. Which, I'm thinking, will probably take 10 minutes.

I'm glad not all of you feel like the above idiot feels. It's a sad day when there is no respect for what each of us contibute to this agency. Even though, the above idiot would like to think we think so little of him/her that we would eat and watch TV instead of be there for him/her when him/her needed us. If we didn't care would you ever be toned out? Do you have any idea how worried we are when we get no response from you?
Again. I'm really glad to know not all of you feel like the above mentioned idiot. And, just a note...your girth is not what we care about.[/list]

10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
We all add to the agency we work for, be it dispatchers, PSA's or officers. Each play a vital role.

On the other hand, I have worked in dispatch and some folks are paid very well for what they do. Some earn it, some don't. I know it's like that no matter what the job is. It's a different animal when you are out dealing with these people we deal with. Face to face, danger, disease, etc. Be out on the scene of a fatal accident. crime scene etc. Some can handle it, some can't.

It's sad though when dispatchers are making more than PSA's and Officers. The new Officers are making less than some of the dispatchers, that's not cool. The jobs are different, equally important. Dispatchers are not exposed to TB, Blood, fire, traffic, bad weather and so on.

The dispatchers job is stressful, no doubt. I do believe though, the pay scale is way outta wack.

You can read someone the instructions for CPR, while I on the other hand, am going to be the one there to give CPR to a total stranger if I am the first on scene.

I could go on and on, but this pay scale is outta control....

10-27-2007, 10:06 PM
We all add to the agency we work for, be it dispatchers, PSA's or officers. Each play a vital role.

On the other hand, I have worked in dispatch and some folks are paid very well for what they do. Some earn it, some don't. I know it's like that no matter what the job is. It's a different animal when you are out dealing with these people we deal with. Face to face, danger, disease, etc. Be out on the scene of a fatal accident. crime scene etc. Some can handle it, some can't.

It's sad though when dispatchers are making more than PSA's and Officers. The new Officers are making less than some of the dispatchers, that's not cool. The jobs are different, equally important. Dispatchers are not exposed to TB, Blood, fire, traffic, bad weather and so on.

The dispatchers job is stressful, no doubt. I do believe though, the pay scale is way outta wack.

You can read someone the instructions for CPR, while I on the other hand, am going to be the one there to give CPR to a total stranger if I am the first on scene.

AMEN!

10-29-2007, 08:53 AM

AMEN!

So a dispatcher (or any other civilian for that matter) should NEVER make more than an officer - even though a person has 10-20 years on the job? LPD dispatchers start out more than a PCSO deputy and that pay scale is up to the powers that be. If money is the only objective, than go on up and be a dispatcher instead of an officer.

11-09-2007, 10:34 PM

AMEN!

So a dispatcher (or any other civilian for that matter) should NEVER make more than an officer - even though a person has 10-20 years on the job? LPD dispatchers start out more than a PCSO deputy and that pay scale is up to the powers that be. If money is the only objective, than go on up and be a dispatcher instead of an officer.

FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT SWORN BUT DO WORK IN PATROL. I WILL NEVER BE AN OFFICER NOR WILL I EVER EARN A SALARY EVEN CLOSE TO AN OFFICER.

11-11-2007, 01:44 PM
DUH, THE PSA'S WILL NEVER MAKE WHAT THE OFFICERS MAKE, BUT THE PAY SCALE SHOULD BE CHANGED SO THEY MAKE AT LEAST WHAT THE DISPATCHERS MAKE. IT'S SAD, TO SAY THE LEAST THAT A DISPATCHER WITH MAYBE 2-3 YEARS ON MAKES MORE THAN ANOTHER CIVILIAN THATS BEEN WITH THE DEPARTMENT A WHILE.

AS FOR THE DISPATCHERS, YOU ARE PAID WELL FOR YOUR SERVICES. MY POINT WAS THIS, THE PAY SCALE IS OUTTA WACK, WHEN CIVILIANS WHO WORK THE STREETS, IN HARMS WAY AT TIMES, ARE MAKING THE SAME AMOUNT AS PROPERTY CLERKS, ETC. WHO ARE IN AN OFFICE AND NOT IN HARMS WAY. THE PSA'S SHOULD MAKE AT LEAST WHAT THE DISPATCHERS MAKE. YOU MAN THE DESK AND GIVE OUT LEGAL ADVICE, WRITE REPORTS, DEAL WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOD KNOWS WHAT DISEASES, DIRECT TRAFFIC IN POURING RAIN ETC.

I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ONE PERSON'S JOB WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE OTHER, I DO BELIEVE THOUGH, THAT WORKING THE STREETS AND BEING EXPOSED TO SOME OF THE THINGS THE PSA'S AND OFFICERS ARE EXPOSED TO, SHOULD BE PAID ACCORDINGLY. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME, GOD FORBID, BEFORE A CIVILIAN IS HURT WHILE ON PATROL.

Sparkie
11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I dont' think you can compare the positions of a Property Clerk to a PSA. Each does entirely different work. PSA's does work more closely associated with that of a Police Officer and should receive appropriate compensation. Apples and oranges.

11-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I wasn't comparing the two jobs (property clerk and psa) you may want to re-read that. The two are entirely different, but when you work the streets like a cop, you should be paid accordingly.

To work the streets, is entirely different than working at the station.

I know the difference -

Sparkie
11-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Please don't misunderstand. I wasn't debating the issue. I quite agree. :D

12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
When the PSA Program was first insituted it was planned as a gateway for developing people to become police officer candidates in order to have a pool of agency trained personnel to be able to transition into existing officer vacancies. As with any government program not just LPD/COL programs once put into place usually lose their original intent and become used as something they were not originally intended. This is why so many programs exist at all levels of government which are wasteful and not serving thier original goal. This also the fault of organizational leadership and failing to continously review programs for there value and purpose. If used properly this program would have been a conduit to having a trained pool of new officers requiring little training to become functional patrol officers. :|

12-19-2007, 10:03 PM
You mean this program was designed to improve the quality of the pool of people we can choose from to become sworn officers? After recent events WE NEED IT!

Sad thing is, I've only seen a few people become officers in the last several years, with another being sponsored after practically agreeing to work for free.

Now we have to bid farewell to another employee because this department does not want to keep it's loyal employees. I won't hide behind double meanings or hidden language. This agency is losing PSA 717 because they don't want to sponsor or assist a young, spirited, dedicated and LOYAL person through the academy. I guess the question should be, will the department give him the time of day when he submits an application? Or will he be treated like a disease? Thats right, he still wants to wear Blue and Orange!

Kinda reminds me of the movie Rudy, maybe we should go see coach with our game jerseys and offer our place for him to play?

12-20-2007, 12:03 AM
WHY HIRE FROM WITHIN WHEN WE CAN HIRE THE WINNERS WE'VE BEEN GETTING LATELY....YOU KNOW, THE ONES WHO AREN'T CUTTING IT IN THE FTO PROGRAM THAT ARE GETTING MORE AND MORE REMEDIAL TRAINING AFTER ONLY 8 WEEKS?

BET IF ONE OR MORE OF THEM DON'T MAKE IT THEY WON'T HAVE TO PAY BACK ANY MONEY THAT WAS SPENT ON SPONSORING THEM....

WHY SPONSOR FROM WITHIN - IT'S FAR MORE ENTERTAINING TO SPONSOR FOLKS WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!! ) :

12-20-2007, 12:04 AM
You mean this program was designed to improve the quality of the pool of people we can choose from to become sworn officers? After recent events WE NEED IT!

Sad thing is, I've only seen a few people become officers in the last several years, with another being sponsored after practically agreeing to work for free.

Now we have to bid farewell to another employee because this department does not want to keep it's loyal employees. I won't hide behind double meanings or hidden language. This agency is losing PSA 717 because they don't want to sponsor or assist a young, spirited, dedicated and LOYAL person through the academy. I guess the question should be, will the department give him the time of day when he submits an application? Or will he be treated like a disease? Thats right, he still wants to wear Blue and Orange!

Kinda reminds me of the movie Rudy, maybe we should go see coach with our game jerseys and offer our place for him to play?

T-Shirts "SAVE 717", I was gonna suggest bumper stickers, but we all know what happens to them! On a serious note, 717 will be missed by all. Rarely do we find someone so young, who is polite, respectful, enthusiastic, and not swayed by internal politics. 717 will always be welcome when I am working. You will be missed, and your leaving will be a loss for the entire city.