PDA

View Full Version : Sgt's lawsuit thrown out

08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.theledger.com/article/200708 ... 90453/1134 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20070829/NEWS/708290453/1134)

08-30-2007, 03:50 AM
wow, first let me say i feel the lawsuit was uncalled for. there are plenty of female bosses,of all color,creeds,etc. i am disheartened by the following quote from that article :

----However, Alcott said, "The plaintiff did not participate in any self-promotion or career counseling by meeting individually with the Captains and Majors to highlight her ambition and experience, as other applicants did. The plaintiff was not recommended for promotion to Lieutenant by her immediate Captain ... none of the Majors recommended her for promotion. Those persons who were promoted were all recommended by chain-of-command supervisors."---

am i misreading this or does it say that because there was no sucking up done,then there should be no promotion. i didn't realize it was a requirement to be promoted

08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
That's exactly what it says! And now it's in writing in an official proceeding. "Down on your knees, boy, if you want to get promoted!"

LOL Like a certain current Lt that, when he was a Sgt, took a certain Major (F.H., now retired) to lunch in Bartow every day. Give me a freakin' break! Now that that certain Major is gone and that certain Lt just got booted back to patrol ... yada, yada ...

No thanks, I'll keep my dignity and will go where life takes me because I deserve it, not because I have my nose square up someone elses a$$. These people that constantly jockey and politic for promotion and who will slit your throat to advance themselves amaze me. Stay clear of them. What's funny is that the "higher ups" laugh at their efforts behind their backs.

08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Polkster,

You are right on the money !! Too bad there is not a real civil service promtional board. King Gray has ruled again !!!

08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
King Gray???

I suspect that any political organization is run much the same way.

09-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately this is the rule rather than the exception. The Judge appears sexist, racist, friends with Grady and totally clueless. He's white, American, male and rich and unable to relate since he's not adversly affected by that way of thinking. No one recommended her up the chain because that's what the boss wanted...DUH!

WATCH SGT's BACK BECAUSE NOW THEY'LL HARASS HER, FIND A REASON TO DISCREDIT HER AND FIRE HER.

King Gray???

I suspect that any political organization is run much the same way.

09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Judge All Squat

09-01-2007, 10:18 PM
What do you expect from a Bush appointee? No wonder Bush's daughter is a drug addict. Allcott must study the Civil War hoping to change the ending. He's living in the past.

09-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately this is the rule rather than the exception. The Judge appears sexist, racist, friends with Grady and totally clueless. He's white, American, male and rich and unable to relate since he's not adversly affected by that way of thinking. No one recommended her up the chain because that's what the boss wanted...DUH!

WATCH SGT's BACK BECAUSE NOW THEY'LL HARASS HER, FIND A REASON TO DISCREDIT HER AND FIRE HER.

King Gray???

I suspect that any political organization is run much the same way. :?:

Why is it that when gender, racial or ethinic minorities don't get their way they accuse someone somewhere of sexism, racism or prejudice, but won't produce any hard evidence to substantiate the charge? They seem to think the fact that they didn't get their way isn't circumstantial, but makes a prima facia case. I'm certainly no fan of Grady and his buddies, and I don't care for their promotional process. But if the sexisim, racisim and bigotry cards are the highest ones in your hand, you need to fold, cash in your chips go play the slot machines.

09-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Why is it when white males get most everything it seems normal but when minorities get something they think it's because they are black? Why is it that Bush (the dumb one) is against afirmative action because he thinks it disadvantages whites but he got special treatment and accepted to Yale because his father was rich and powerful. Why is that okay? Why is Clarence Thomas against affirmative action after he benefitted from it? Why do good ole boys take care of other good ole boys and everyone accepts it as the way it's always been?
Since you must be a white male then how do you know how minorities are treated? If they're treated poorly then it doesn't affect you therefore you see no problem with it and think they shouldn't bring it up. Why do you assume it's just minorities "not getting their way" rather than they have been treated unfairly? Affirmative doesn't require LESS qualified people to get prefernce over another but EQUALLY qualified people with preference given to classes who are under represented.
If it was your mom, sister, daughter, or wife, you'd feel different since you would be affected. It's great to know you don't see any isms in your job but see those in power who look just like you.

King Gray???

I suspect that any political organization is run much the same way. :?:

Why is it that when gender, racial or ethinic minorities don't get their way they accuse someone somewhere of sexism, racism or prejudice, but won't produce any hard evidence to substantiate the charge? They seem to think the fact that they didn't get their way isn't circumstantial, but makes a prima facia case. I'm certainly no fan of Grady and his buddies, and I don't care for their promotional process. But if the sexisim, racisim and bigotry cards are the highest ones in your hand, you need to fold, cash in your chips go play the slot machines.

09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
guest you wrote...Why is it that when gender, racial or ethinic minorities don't get their way they accuse someone somewhere of sexism, racism or prejudice, but won't produce any hard evidence to substantiate the charge? They seem to think the fact that they didn't get their way isn't circumstantial, but makes a prima facia case. I'm certainly no fan of Grady and his buddies, and I don't care for their promotional process. But if the sexisim, racisim and bigotry cards are the highest ones in your hand, you need to fold, cash in your chips go play the slot machines.

AMEN.... happens all the time. Either put up the proof of this, or stfu

09-04-2007, 02:08 PM
tsk tsk .... potty mouth, angel!

09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
You are more than welcome to read the charge, if you're able to read and comprehend. It's all there for you little boy. If you can't hang then you tell people to shut the FU? Would you like to discuss the issues intelligently or is that the best response you have?

guest you wrote...Why is it that when gender, racial or ethinic minorities don't get their way they accuse someone somewhere of sexism, racism or prejudice, but won't produce any hard evidence to substantiate the charge? They seem to think the fact that they didn't get their way isn't circumstantial, but makes a prima facia case. I'm certainly no fan of Grady and his buddies, and I don't care for their promotional process. But if the sexisim, racisim and bigotry cards are the highest ones in your hand, you need to fold, cash in your chips go play the slot machines.

AMEN.... happens all the time. Either put up the proof of this, or stfu

09-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Where did he get his GED? Does he use racial epithets? I'd hate to be stopped by this guy who probably has several complaints for being rude and unable to control his anger.

tsk tsk .... potty mouth, angel!

09-05-2007, 02:47 PM
it has been my observation that a high percentage of minorities and women who are promoted or put in a supervisory position to meet quotas are unqualified and usually perform poorly. they maintain their positions while others sit back and scratch their heads and wonder where the common sense in this great country has gone to. keep in mind, this is simply my opinion.

09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately your oppinion is a fact that most people are aware of, but are to aftraid to vocalize.

09-05-2007, 07:51 PM
it has been my observation that a high percentage of minorities and women who are promoted or put in a supervisory position to meet quotas are unqualified and usually perform poorly. they maintain their positions while others sit back and scratch their heads and wonder where the common sense in this great country has gone to. keep in mind, this is simply my opinion.

That must mean the one that is in remedial training!!!! There are many other qualified individuals they should have promoted who would have been great... minority or not!

I still think promotions should be based on your work ethnics, your atittude and your common sense knowledge of the job.. just because you have a degree doesnt make you smart.. heck, look at some of the supervisors... seriously.. its all about kissing butt to the higher ups to make them feel special. But thats the way supervision goes!

09-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Like I said once before gang, I was there for 33 yrs. You could have ten masters degrees and be the former head of the Georgia State Patrol and if you are not of one of Grady boys or girls you ain't getting promoted.

09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
WHERES DAN DANIELS WHEN YOU NEED HIM?
I'D DEFINETLY GET PROMOTED THEN..

09-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Do you only notice it with minorities and women or did you notice the poor performance of your leaders i.e. Mr. Bush & Co.? how about your sheriff? Oh.. should we mention the bathroom foot tapping incident or the page thing in DC? All white males. Hello Senator Allen. W/M 2!

09-07-2007, 08:33 AM
let's be fair. we have inept bosses of all color and both sexes. when a white guy is promoted and is a lousy boss it is said he was one of grady's boys. if its anything other than a white male,the accusation centers around affirmative action.

the biggest failure is in promoting those who are afraid to make a decision. the agency is built on passing the buck to avoid responsibility. it saddens me when i go to breifing and see a boss that i don't think should be at the podium.

09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
for a good laugh that you people really need....go to you tube.com type in "black bush" and have a happy day.... guarantee that you will laugh.....

11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
This never should have been allowed past the courthouse front door. The Sergeant in question is a lousy supervisor that I had the misfortune to work for in both Central and the Ridge. She had zero people skills and could not get along with other women for some reason.

01-10-2008, 03:20 AM
has anyone noticed how she seems to take her problems out on everyone under her control. we all have family issues, but that gives no one a right to create a hostal working enviroment. if you cant control your issues, then maybe you should consider a leave of absence.

01-10-2008, 05:25 AM
I can’t believe that you have no promotional process, like an exam, assessment center or other means of getting promoted in your agency. I work for Palm Beach S.O. and at least we test up to the rank of Lieutenant. For Captain and above it is the Sheriff’s decision as to who he promotes further. While I do not know this Sergeant or any thing about her, it would seem to me that if your Sheriff had a competitive promotional process it would preclude this type of argument, at least up to the rank of Lieutenant. Maybe you guys should bring this up as a contractual issue next time, or do you not bargain at Polk either?

01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
it says she was "hired by the Sheriff's Office in a telecommunications position in 1987 and became a sworn officer in 1999".

I work in Hillsborough and been here just as long. I'll be lucky if I can make it to day shift much less even getting promoted to a Corporal with less than 10 years on.

Is it normal there to be a Lieutenant after a few years???? All our Lieutenants have been here 20-25 years.

01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
to pbso

we have an exam that results in a list that the sheriff picks from.

we don't have contracts or bargaining here. the word union has been deleted from our vocabularies as a condition of employment