PDA

View Full Version : drama

08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Just curious how everyone is dealing with the drama down there. Good luck, stay strong, but most of all,,,stay BLUE!

08-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Regarding the stay blue comment, I have to say I agree. I worked for a city police prior to my time with the s.o. Don't get me wrong I enjoy working at the s.o., but you really need to keep in mind, the saying that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I miss the family atmosphere of the city police, granted it wasn't with bartow, but I understand the idea. At the s.o., trust me, you are simply a number. To each is own. Good Luck!!

AFOR
08-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Welcome to the site Bartow.

08-25-2007, 04:55 PM
To all the Bartow PD memebers , as a 33yr retireeof the SOI hope the King Gradys boy, Larry is treating everybody ok. Just hang in there gang !!

08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Dear Retiree, Williams has not changed or help one damn bit! All Williams wants is for the employees to vote to have the SO come over here and take over. Thank you for your concerns

03-13-2008, 03:28 AM
JUST WONDERING HOW THINGS ARE GOING AT BPD. I LEFT SEVERAL YEARS AGO FOR AN AGENCY IN ORANGE COUNTY & JUST TRYING TO KEEP TABS ON MY FORMER AGENCY.

03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Trolls are funny.

04-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Regarding the stay blue comment, I have to say I agree. I worked for a city police prior to my time with the s.o. Don't get me wrong I enjoy working at the s.o., but you really need to keep in mind, the saying that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I miss the family atmosphere of the city police, granted it wasn't with bartow, but I understand the idea. At the s.o., trust me, you are simply a number. To each is own. Good Luck!!

I came over in merger with Palm Beach SO from a city PD with around 80 officers. I can say the grass is greener here. We are more a family at the Sheriff's office than the city was. Things have changed for the better, and the SO is really a better place to be in Law Enforcement. We are not just a number, and I know all my district co-workers very well. The SO provides better service, benefits, mobility, pay, schedule, take home car, and so much more than we ever had. I don't know how Pinellas is, but working for PBSO is like my home away from home. Mergers are great and citizens here get the service they deserve. Good luck.

04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I came over in merger with Palm Beach SO from a city PD with around 80 officers. I can say the grass is greener here. We are more a family at the Sheriff's office than the city was. Things have changed for the better, and the SO is really a better place to be in Law Enforcement. We are not just a number, and I know all my district co-workers very well. The SO provides better service, benefits, mobility, pay, schedule, take home car, and so much more than we ever had. I don't know how Pinellas is, but working for PBSO is like my home away from home. Mergers are great and citizens here get the service they deserve. Good luck.[/quote]

It may be greener at the Palm Beach Sheriffs office, because they do have more to offer the local police department officers, and the Palm Beach Sheriffs office is under PBA where as PCSO is not union. And as far as family, I can believe that because Ric Bradshaw is the Sheriff, and underneath him as Director of Legal Affairs is Joseph Bradshaw. Thanks for your input, but we would like to keep our smaller agency. We can better serve the citizens of Bartow as a smaller agency than would could going to PCSO and being stretched all over the county. We think of Our Citizens first because they are FAMILY!!

04-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I came over in merger with Palm Beach SO from a city PD with around 80 officers. I can say the grass is greener here. We are more a family at the Sheriff's office than the city was. Things have changed for the better, and the SO is really a better place to be in Law Enforcement. We are not just a number, and I know all my district co-workers very well. The SO provides better service, benefits, mobility, pay, schedule, take home car, and so much more than we ever had. I don't know how Pinellas is, but working for PBSO is like my home away from home. Mergers are great and citizens here get the service they deserve. Good luck.

It may be greener at the Palm Beach Sheriffs office, because they do have more to offer the local police department officers, and the Palm Beach Sheriffs office is under PBA where as PCSO is not union. And as far as family, I can believe that because Ric Bradshaw is the Sheriff, and underneath him as Director of Legal Affairs is Joseph Bradshaw. Thanks for your input, but we would like to keep our smaller agency. We can better serve the citizens of Bartow as a smaller agency than would could going to PCSO and being stretched all over the county. We think of Our Citizens first because they are FAMILY!![/quote]

I really don't want to sound rude, but if the city contracts with PCSO a small agency cannot compare for the level of service. I shouldn't say that, I don't know how PCSO operates. As far as I know, our contract we received 3 additional Deputies per shift plus the assistance of unincorporated Deputies if we needed it. We do not leave the city limits unless there are exigent circumstances. As far as I know, PCSO operates the same way. So the residents would receive the same service from the same officers in a different uniform. I know you are true 2 blue, and so was I, but I realized a bigger metro agency is far superior to a small agency. Crime doesn't discriminate and today we need all the resources we can get, and frankly small agencies can't afford the same resources the SO can. It all comes down to leadership. Our Sheriff was a Chief of Police for many years so he understands what city needs. I did not know PCSO was not unionized, so I guess many fear the good ole boy network. I hope is all works out. After my experience, I'm all for contract metro agencies. Seeing is believing.

04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Here goes...... I saw on another thread where some were debating BPD going to the PCSO this was one "guests" comment and so I responded back. Whether BPD goes or not. Thank you all for being Police Officers for the Bartow Police Department.

At times, I was going to work as my husband was on his way home, or we just simply were not able to see one another before him leaving for work depending on what shift he was on. I was not always able to kiss him goodbye, but there has not been one day that has gone by that when he walked out the door for the Bartow Police Department I always phoned him to say "KEEP SAFE"! and on the inside of his police vest is written "I love you" and in his badge case I tucked a Bible verse away that was with him always on duty. When I read this verse, I thought of him and how he got dressed when he put his Bartow Police uniform on with his gun belt and vest.

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints...." Ephesians 6:10-18

I miss him when he his gone, and Thank God when he is safe at home!

From Guest......

Let's not throw too many stones here. I have had the privelege to work closely beside a few Bartow PD officers over the past month or so and have been very impressed with what I have seen. Should the merger occur, the S.O. would benefit greatly if these officers are of similar caliber to their counterparts at BPD.

The decision-making process on this issue is way over any of our heads and lies with the Bartow City Commission and the City Manager. Let's keep it professional between each agency as we both need to work together whether we wear the same uniform or not. The officers at BPD are in limbo and have been for several months, they are ready for a decision to be made. Let's not add to the current tension by speculating and guessing on what "might" happen.

From BPD Wife:
Thank you guest for the confidence in the Bartow Police Department officers. I agree that they are in limbo, and it is sad because it places an extra burden to carry on their already stressful jobs. At first, when all this came about, I thought the sound of going to the PCSO sounded great, but then I got to thinking about my children, about the past thirteen years as being a wife to a Bartow Police officer, hearing the other officer talk and reason, and trying to come up with" What is best for the BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT? I thought of all the times, I have depended on the Bartow Police Department.
I appreciate Williams coming to the Bartow Police Department and overseeing the everyday operations that go on, but at this time, I feel that a new chief needs to be put into office. I listen to my husband and other officers and community people, and I am not sure about them, but I guess I was under the impression that once Sandvik's retirement was final, which was March, that a New Chief would at least be in the works for the Bartow Police Department. My statements next are not if we go to the Polk County Sheriffs Office, or about how things have been ran the last couple of months, because I appreciate Williams coming over and giving his time to the Bartow Police Department, and I also appreciate Sheriff Judd Assisting the Bartow Police Department when he was asked for his assistance by Ms. Culpepper. I only ask now that as you mentioned "Guest" in your thread about the decision being up to the City Commission and the new City Manager, that you know its in God's hands and if BPD goes to PCSO then it was God's Plan and it's O.K. We dont always get what we wish for. but we dont have to stop wishing or praying for it.
People look at the roles of Police, and Police Officers have always been an interest to the average Citizen. The television media has capitalized upon this curiosity with shows such as “Cops”, “America’s Most Wanted”, and “Stories of the Highway Patrol”. Each week, real police action is broadcast into the living rooms of millions of Americans. Numerous Police Agencies have also benefited from the curiosity that citizens have about the police. "Bigger Agencies, Better Service" and most of the time on these shows they will show a "County Department", doing the chase, but you still see great results as well from the local "City Departments" on these shows as well.
I feel at the Bartow Police Deparment, they have an expansion of community based efforts. They have an open line of communication with the Community. One of the best programs the Bartow Police Department ever had was the Citizens Police Academy. A huge success! We had alot of community interest, and participation. That means alot to me. Not just because I am a Bartow Police Officer's wife, but because I am also a citizen of Bartow. I and my husband were born in Bartow and have been raised in Bartow. All four of of children were born and being raised here as well. I feel if we could let a Good chief come in and keep our department where it should be, then we could be an even BETTER Police Department and serve the wonderful citizens of Bartow that we know or have come to know. I read an article lately and I hope that some will take an interest and check on it as well.
The U.S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Assistance is funding the IACP initiative for smaller police agencies-Services, Support, and Technical Assistance for Smaller Police Departments-to develop and coordinate a mentoring project for new police chiefs serving communities of 25,000 or fewer residents. The staff works closely with members of the project's advisory group on the new mentoring project. The goal of the project is to support the professional development of new police chiefs by providing an experienced police chief as mentor. I know Sheriff Grady does a wonderful job, and I hope to see him in office for many years to come, but what happens after Sheriff Grady is gone. When someone else is Sheriff. What kind of Department will it be? no one knows! so to me goes beyond the pennies to dollars of saving money. I mean eventually the PCSO will have to make cut backs to make room for all the agencies the PCSO are taking over, and that is taking away from you all(PCSO officers) I feel. It's all in the hand's of the Politicians we are told, well,
History is the branch of knowledge dealing with past events, and acts, ideas, or events that will or can shape the course of the future. I would love for my children's future to see the Acts, Ideas, and Events that their father and his "fellow officers... "AKA friends, brothers" have done and made it safe for them to grow up in and live in.

As the late speaker of the house Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neil was known to say, "All politics is local." The same holds true for history - at least the history that proves meaningful for the average person. People feel a stronger connection with a past that includes familiar names, places, and events. Certainly, local law enforcement institutions have influenced profoundly the history of every city, county, and state in the nation. Therefore, it seems worthwhile to preserve and communicate the history of THE BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Many law enforcement leaders already have discovered how a small investment in preserving their department's past can yield significant benefits. An appreciation for a police agency's unique history and traditions can help promote a sense of cohesion and common purpose within the agency, provide its leaders with useful lessons and perspectives for future direction, and foster positive public relations, as well as creates a sense of security for their citizens in the community, and creates safer enviroments for those citizens.

In short, history and traditions represent "intangibles" that stimulate a police organization's spirit and unity. History teaches Lessons!

Anyways, didn't mean to get into a long winded Sermon on Sunday, but just know that I am proud to be a Bartow Police Officer's Wife, and I am proud of the job that my husband and the other officers at the Bartow police department do, and I hope that our department will be preserved.

For my husband Good luck and Keep Safe, you will be home soon, and all the Police officers on Duty tonight in any agency..... KEEP SAFE

04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
With all the history aside, a metro is better

04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I have never experienced a Metro, because I have always lived here and had the Small agency to depend on more so than the bigger agency.

I take that back, when I first got married, I did live in the County, and I had called for the County police once. It took about 45 minutes for them to get there and I was scared to death someone was breaking in. At the time the officers just covered so much area it took a while for them to get across where they needed to go. That was thirteen years ago, so I am not sure how the response time is now, and plus I moved back to the city. I only lived in the county for a couple months, so I never really got the full affect of being county or city. I know that there are probably statistics that weigh on the favor of each side. I just read up on all the facts and had been thinking on the history side of things. When you have done something for so long, its not hard just different doing something else. I wouldn't be mad if we went PCSO. I like that agency and most of the people in it, but I also like Walmart, but dont go everyday! I think very highly of Sheriff Grady and I think we were lucky to have him as Sheriff in our County. We were also lucky to get Williams, he has a job over there and gives himself for our department. The only reason I think it is time for a new Chief is not because I want to see Williams gone, but it's tiime to get the show on the road. Let's stay or Go! I see the advantages and have discussed some of the advantages. It was just a rainy Sunday, and I was thinking about BPD past and how the officers at Bartow must feel just being in limbo and trying to work on the road! and get thru their days and nights not knowing yet whats going on.

04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I can understand you loyalty, but pcso will offer your husband and children alot more than you are getting from your smaller agency.

04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
[quote I mean eventually the PCSO will have to make cut backs to make room for all the agencies the PCSO are taking over, and that is taking away from you all(PCSO officers) I feel. [/quote]

We already are seeing cut backs in our agency, I'm not sure it is from all the take overs, but I am sure that it is not helping the situation. We will be still getting our money raises.

04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
MONEY IS LIKE MANURE: IT'S NOT WORTH A THING UNLESS IT'S
SPREAD AOURND ENCOURAGING YOUNG THINGS TO GROW[/u]

04-06-2008, 11:14 PM

You're quick to say Metro is better, but you don't give your reasons.

04-06-2008, 11:22 PM

Dude, Where's my Car, I left it right here, and now its gone, and it's been replaced with this Impala.

04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
That's freakin classic!

04-07-2008, 12:07 AM

I already did. Bottom line, no redundancy in service, and more efficient and cost effective. Palm Beach sums it up quite well.

As for impalas, many agencies use them. I don’t agree, but its take home and from what I hear PCSO has some great equipment. Regardless of how you feel, you cannot dispute that Metro is better. If it wasn’t it wouldn’t be happening all over this country. I have an utmost respect for all you, based on my experiences one unified police force is better than many. The real problem comes down to how many politicians we have at the state, county, and city levels dictating what they want. Power hungry politicians are killing this state. The resources of a metro are tremendous, and when run by the right person, a big agency operates a lot better than a small one. There is corruption / bureaucracy in law enforcement at all levels and working with the last city I worked for, it was far worse than the Sheriff’s office. Either way, you guys are always in my prayers. Stay safe.

http://www.neiassociates.org/regionalization.htm

04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
At the last epac (East Side Community Meeting) , meeting it was asked what was the status of the police department. The reply consisted of how the citizens would benefit if the sheriff provided law enforcement services. The police department is not equipped to provide the necessary services currently required and lacks the resources to address future requirements. The officers do not receive the same level of training as deputies and have a limited exposure to a verity of crimes that would further prepare them for the future. The equipment is out dated and will require a tremendous amount of funding to restore the agency.

Present at the meeting;

City Manager
Dir. Williams
Commissioner Longworth

What is your opinion on this explanation?

04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Heres my response. That is complete nonsense. The fact is, we have better training than the Sheriff's Office. Compare training of the majority of the officers at Bartow to the Sheriff's Office and you will see the difference. The So routinely only approves classes they teach themselves, while BPD Officers are allowed to go anywhere within the state. Aggressive officers have taken up to 4 one week specialty classes a year which is unheard of at the SO. The officers carry new equipment on their belts and do not lack anything that is carried by any other agency. That includes Tasers. The pay scale does need to be adjusted, but officers are there. If the pay was that bad, Im sure they would have left, like others have done in the past.

Service, you want service back to normal levels, simply let us hire the positions that are open and have been budgeted for. The city would rather let all of the open positions contiue to go vacant so they can later claim they have no choice but to let the sheriff come in.

If you want to save money, and release yourself from most of the liability of running a police department, then man up and simply vote on it. Stop yammering around with your tails between your legs. Make the decisions the public expects you to make. AND MAKE THEM TODAY, NOT NEXT MONTH OR NEXTR YEAR. Sheesh..........in short....GROW A PAIR!

04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh, one last thing......The idea that BPD or local officers are not exposed to the same crimes as the SO. Whoever stated that is a complete retard. It has been known for a long, long time that officers that wanted to work a MORE diverse variety of crimes and learn how to work those crimes should go to a local police department rather than a sheriff's office. The reasoning is simple, at a smaller police department, you have to work those crimes, you cant rely on specialty units to come in and work them for you. More often than not, simple felony crimes are handled by most local poilice department officers, while this is completley unheard of with any sheriff's office. The patrol units respond, secure the scene and make arrests if the bad guys are still on scene. (Even then the invest. is turned over to a detective.)

04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I disagreee with the above 2 statements. IF you are one of the in peeple u get to go to good schools. IF not you don't.

I have nothing personal against your statements-above poster-but i disagree with pretty much all your posts.

bpd employee

I guess it depends on where you are in the food chain.

04-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I am also an employee of BPD, and I agree with most of the comments of the previous posts. The officers are required to work most scenes from start to finish. They are required to notify the Detective Bureau on certain types of scenes, but that procedure is no different than any other agency. FDLE requires specific mandatory retraining for all officers in the State of Florida. This training does not vary from agency to agency. What is required for BPD officers is not any different than what is required for PCSO, LPD, WHPD, MPD, TPD, MDPD or any other agency in this state. All BPD officers are in compliance with FDLE requirements. Sometimes an officer may not be able attend a couse that does not specificlly relate to their current assignment, but that happens in every agency.