PDA

View Full Version : Any word from the latest PBA meeting

08-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Can anyone fill the post in on the recent PBA meeting? I was not able to attend. Thanks

PS I am a paying member.

Thanks

08-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Good cash was offered, but it was turned down by fat pockets.

08-24-2007, 04:45 AM
I guess we know who made that comment....."lets take the $2500 and run".....Well they offered us nothing.......nothing......nothing. They held firm that their $2500 bonus was great.

We submitted the proposal that Sgt. K revised that Tom, Nick, and Marty worked on.

They are also waiting to hear back on Security guard offers from companies.

08-24-2007, 05:20 AM
You fool, from what I've heard..., yes, that post was right, the fat pockets are turning down the cash. Now how about the rest of the people that haven't seen any raises at all, and us new people? $2500 tax free plus the $1000 originally given. Sounds good to me. It should be taken now before it is gone! Then we get a new bargaining unit for the next year and come back even stronger!

08-24-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm new here and am not a PBA member yet, because of the bad things I've heard going on so far with them representing us. I could use that money too. I don't think it's a matter of take it and run. From what I've heard of what is being counteroffered by us, it is boderline rediculous. I'm feeling that the people in charge of the bargaining are already making good bank and can take the loss if it all falls through. I can't.

08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Since when did officers with less than a year on have a say. Do your time first, then you can have a say.

08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
You fool, from what I've heard..., yes, that post was right, the fat pockets are turning down the cash. Now how about the rest of the people that haven't seen any raises at all, and us new people? $2500 tax free plus the $1000 originally given. Sounds good to me. It should be taken now before it is gone! Then we get a new bargaining unit for the next year and come back even stronger!

I was at that meeting as well and would love for some of you to expound on what the hell you mean by fat pockets? I know there were some stripes encouraging us to hold our ground but there were some officers as well. I can assure you no officer under 5 years has fat pockets. The problem is that some of you that are griping werent here 3 years ago when the University said you get what you get and we'll hopefully have something for you in the next go round.

I know that bonus is attractive but it is the principle of the offer. Bonuses are an insult in a negotiation. For you new people who probably have never attended nor quite understand what the bargaining team is attempting, it is wrong of you to criticize. Money that is added to your base pay and goes towards your retirement is what you ultimately want.
Accepting QUICK MONEY tells them that they can continue to throw that bone each year with out allocating money towards your salary. So am I to understand you people would rather have the Quick Money, which most of you would probably piss away as opposed to your salary increasing. YOU GUYS need to stand for something in your life and take the chance that you may not get anything this year but at least you fought for something. "Accepting the bonus and coming back even stronger next year"? How So?

With that said Florida is a right to work state and ultimately the University is only going to give us what they want. But once again it is the principle of the matter. For you new people be thankful you have a job!!!!

08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
If it's quick money or nothing at all, I'll take the quick money!

08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I guess we know who made that comment....."lets take the $2500 and run".....Well they offered us nothing.......nothing......nothing. They held firm that their $2500 bonus was great.

We submitted the proposal that Sgt. K revised that Tom, Nick, and Marty worked on.

They are also waiting to hear back on Security guard offers from companies.

Didn't post that comment, and never said "take the money and run". My question was...."If we take this as far as we absolutely can, and the university still says no to our counter offer, would we still be eligible to get the $2500, and try to counter again next year. I don't think anybody in that room suffers from fat pockets. #34

08-24-2007, 03:10 PM
First of all bonuses are NOT RAISES. What was offered by the University was an insult, there was no pay raise for veteran officers. The offer raised the starting salary to attract more people to the job, it did not address retention.

You may not be thinking of it now, but Bonuses do not count towards your pension, it?s a quick fix form of hush money. You have the cash now, your happy, but years from now when you want to retire your pension won?t be as much as you thought. You will look back at all the money you made throughout the years but will have to deduct those bonuses from your totals and base your pension on your base pay and overtime only.

08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
First of all bonuses are NOT RAISES. What was offered by the University was an insult, there was no pay raise for veteran officers. The offer raised the starting salary to attract more people to the job, it did not address retention.

You may not be thinking of it now, but Bonuses do not count towards your pension, it?s a quick fix form of hush money. You have the cash now, your happy, but years from now when you want to retire your pension won?t be as much as you thought. You will look back at all the money you made throughout the years but will have to deduct those bonuses from your totals and base your pension on your base pay and overtime only.

I think everyone is aware of that. But I'll take the bonus if thats all were going to get. A $3500 dollar bonus doesn't solve our problem, but it's a band aid I'm willing to accept for now.

08-25-2007, 10:30 PM
The way I see it, on a comparison on a much smaller scale: You win the lotto, do you take payments over the next 20 years or the cash up front? People take the cash because they need it. Sure, over the long run it will pay more, but most people need the money.

The cost of living in Florida has gone up so much, that the tax free $2500 is needed by most people.

08-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Theres good points looking at it from each side. I say lets see what offer comes from the next meeting. The plan that we submitted was reasonable and not a big cost to the University.

If its not good then I say when they leave the room we all vote on what to do next.

So lets see a PACKED ROOM. The only people who have an excuse not to be there are the ones working.

Lets get this done

08-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree with The Guy. Lets see what they come back with. If it's still the same offer of $2500, lets vote on it, and get this over with. Along with the $1000 everyone will get in October, $3500 is a nice end of the year bonus.

08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
First of all it's not a $1,000 bonus. It's 600 after taxes= 3,100. Second, we are NOT going to have a better opportunity to get a raise then now. Considering everything that is in the media. If we give into the raise and the bump up to 37k (which will even further add to our compression issue) then you can kiss any future raise goodbye. USF will toss this change out in front of us, and when it comes down to negotiations in 2 or 3 years. 1. The media will be gone, and USF will be out of the spotlight.2. USF will say we gave you a bonus last time, we are not going to do that again, THEY WON'T HAVE ANY PRESSURE TO DO SO!!!. Look at the big picture people. It's now or never.