PDA

View Full Version : NEXT ACADEMY

08-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Can anyone tell me when the next DOT Basic Academy is?

Also, I have gone through all the phases with said agency, and is just waiting to hear "yes or no".

I finish the last phase (oral board etc..) two months ago but has not received any letters or phone calls. Is their anyone who is in the same situation as me, or should i contact DOT and find out what is going on with my application?

08-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Call Lt. Jeff Frost, or Sgt. Timothy Goodman. 245-7900. They will help you. They are undergoing a new boss, and decisions are not very fast coming in any area. Budget cuts and all.

08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
The next clas is not until 2008 so there is no hurry to hire at this point in time.

08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
How was the final phase?

How was the oral interview?

They did my residential check about a month ago. I have not either heard anything yet on the next step.

Good luck to you.

08-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks to those who responded so quickly.

Guest 2007, to answer your questions; the final phase is not bad at all.

DOT sends you a letter stating they scheduled you for a Pre-Employment Screening which is; the Psychological test, Eye exam, Drug screen, Physical exam, and the Oral board.

Probably the longest part of the whole process is the Psychological test. It is one on one with Dr. Cook, all scenario base questions. Then you receive two test books with approximately 500 questions in each book.

After going through the Psychological part, when you get to the Oral board it feels like a breeze. When i went I had Sgt. Goodman, and Lt. Frost for the Oral. I believe i was asked 7 or 8 scenario questions and was asked the usual "why do you want to be in law enforcement?" etc.. type questions.

Just do your best, dress to impress, and you should be fine!

Good luck to you as well, and keep me posted.

02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
How is it goin so far JJ?

02-03-2008, 02:54 PM

The academy is going okay so far. We have our first big test on constitutional law and the criminal justice system this Tuesday, so I'm a little nervous about that.

Anyway, I'll let those that are interested, know how i did after Tuesday. Thanks for checking up on me!

02-07-2008, 01:20 AM

The academy is going okay so far. We have our first big test on constitutional law and the criminal justice system this Tuesday, so I'm a little nervous about that.

Anyway, I'll let those that are interested, know how i did after Tuesday. Thanks for checking up on me!

JJ How did you do on the first big test? I hope that you did well. Good luck! Hang in there!

02-07-2008, 01:25 AM
The next clas is not until 2008 so there is no hurry to hire at this point in time.

I understand that there is a class in progress now. Is the next class in April, or July?

02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Are you certified? If not, where do you live and where do you want to be assigned?

02-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't know about HOPEFULLLLL but I'm certified and looking for orlando.

02-07-2008, 03:53 AM

Dude your nuts. We get paid peanuts

02-07-2008, 07:03 PM

I AM CERTIFIED. THERE IS MORE TO A JOB THAN MONEY. LOCATION IS VERY IMPORTANT, AND SO ARE WORKING HOURS. WORKING MIDNIGHTS MAY BE FINE FOR SOME, BUT NOT FOR ME. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE JOB, THAT IS FINE. IF IT IS NOT A GOOD FIT FOR YOU, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS NOT A GOOD FIT FOR ME.

DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE NEXT MCCO ACADEMY STARTS?

02-07-2008, 10:19 PM

I AM CERTIFIED. THERE IS MORE TO A JOB THAN MONEY. LOCATION IS VERY IMPORTANT, AND SO ARE WORKING HOURS. WORKING MIDNIGHTS MAY BE FINE FOR SOME, BUT NOT FOR ME. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE JOB, THAT IS FINE. IF IT IS NOT A GOOD FIT FOR YOU, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS NOT A GOOD FIT FOR ME.

DO YOU KNOW WHEN THE NEXT MCCO ACADEMY STARTS?

Not sure man

02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
"dude your nuts. we get paid peanuts." I'm nuts? And you get paid peanuts? Thats sounds alot like cannibalism to me. Thanks for the heads up. I will look elsewhere.

02-08-2008, 03:48 AM

JJ How did you do on the first big test? I hope that you did well. Good luck! Hang in there!

I passed the first test, now studying hard for the next test this Wednesday!

The next DOT Academy for all certified is in July. The next Basic Recruit Class for non-certified is in July Also.
For those interested in DOT, the only vacancy right now is Miami, West Palm, and Fort Myers period. DOT is only hiring certified applicants for the listed areas at this time. The shift is usually 6am-2pm or 2pm-10pm. with some Saturdays and Sundays being worked. Hope that answered some of your questions.

02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all of the information JJ! What is your next test going to cover?

02-09-2008, 11:45 PM
The next test is on Mental Retardation, Mental illness, Dealing with the elderly, Alcohol / drug abuse, Intro to Criminal activities / gangs.

02-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Good Luck keep us informed

02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Another passed test..

Two down, 11 more to go!! Now starts high liability.:D

02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Another passed test..

Hey JJ. It has been 2 weeks since your last post. You have people hoping that you are doing well in the academy. Keep us posted. You were kind enough to give the candidates some answers to our questions. We want to know about your progress.

JMONEY1503
02-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Another passed test..

Hey JJ. It has been 2 weeks since your last post. You have people hoping that you are doing well in the academy. Keep us posted. You were kind enough to give the candidates some answers to our questions. We want to know about your progress.

You know i won't let you guys down!

We are in High liability. It's a little different than the rest of the courses, because you take two tests. There's the written and a practical. Right now we are doing First Responder, which our test is on Friday of this week. I already passed the practical portion. We are also in Defensive tactics, which we have the practical and the written test next Friday.

I'll keep you updated as time goes on. For those still not hired with a department, don't give up. keep applying, dress to impress on interviews and sell yourself to the agency. It took me a year to get hired, so i know the feeling of waiting.

Thanks for checking up on me!

02-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Another passed test..

We are in High liability. It's a little different than the rest of the courses, because you take two tests. There's the written and a practical. Right now we are doing First Responder, which our test is on Friday of this week. I already passed the practical portion. We are also in Defensive tactics, which we have the practical and the written test next Friday.

I'll keep you updated as time goes on. For those still not hired with a department, don't give up. keep applying, dress to impress on interviews and sell yourself to the agency. It took me a year to get hired, so i know the feeling of waiting.

Good luck with your test. Thanks for keeping us posted.

tylerfox
02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
I have the poly next month in Tallahasee. Looking forward to July cert. academy if I make it. :)

02-28-2008, 02:39 AM
I have the poly next month in Tallahasee. Looking forward to July cert. academy if I make it. :)

Good luck on the poly. Do not be nervous. Just be 100% honest, and you have nothing to worry about. I took mine 5 months ago. They are completing my background now. I hope to see you at the academy.

02-29-2008, 12:52 AM

Good luck on the poly. Do not be nervous. Just be 100% honest, and you have nothing to worry about. I took mine 5 months ago. They are completing my background now. I hope to see you at the academy.
Thank you I appreciate that! Hope to see you too.

03-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Another passed test..

How did you do on the high liability areas?

JMONEY1503
03-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Another passed test..

How did you do on the high liability areas?

Two high liability areas passed!

Next starts Driving techniques, and firearms training. For those of you that haven't been through an academy, or ever been "OC" pepper sprayed, let me tell you from first hand experience. We got sprayed last week Wednesday during defensive tactics, and boy was that the worst experience of my life! The instructors tell you it should last anywhere from 30mins to 1hr. They lied! 44 people got sprayed on Wednesday night and still had effects from the pepper the next morning. Some people even after taking several showers were feeling the symptom two days later.

Personally, if i had a choice i would have gotten hit with a 5-10 sec blast of the taser, rather than getting sprayed. I really can't describe the actual pain to you unless you've actually gotten hit with it. But it feels as if a person threw hot grease on your face while your eyes are open, and going through a real bad cold where you can't breathe and your nose is running constantly, all at once!

It was an experience of a lifetime that i would never forget, but I'm glad it's OVER!

I'll keep you guys informed as time goes on. Later!

tylerfox
03-09-2008, 12:19 AM
[/Quote]
But it feels as if a person threw hot grease on your face while your eyes are open, ![/quote]

You described it perfectly JJ! I thought someone stuck my face in the hot oil vat that you cook french fries in! Worst pain I ever felt in my life! They made us all do it at the academy too!! I actually videotaped myself getting it done along with the rest of the class. I played the tape a few days later after we all felt better, and it was absolutely the funniest tape I ever saw! We all laughed at ourselves so hard, but it was not funny at the time!! :)
PS JJ: You will love the driving portion. It's a lot of fun, especially at night!
Just remember to SHUFFLE STEER!!! You will learn this, trust me!!

03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey JJ,

Have not heard from you in awhile.
How's school going?

JMONEY1503
03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey JJ,

Have not heard from you in awhile.
How's school going?

Hello All!

I'm still in the driving and firearm liability. Our driving test is this week Wednesday, and the firearms test is next week Tuesday. So far everything is going well. I past my day/night time driving practical tests, and also the day firearm qualification test. Now i just have to pass the written tests for both, and also night time firearm qualification.

Wish me luck! I'll write back in TWO weeks, if i pass.. lol Later!

03-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Good Luck JJ!!

You'll do fine.
I'm hoping to make it to the July class.
What is the Min. that we need to pass each test?
What should we study and keep on top of?
Thanks

03-30-2008, 06:27 PM

JMONEY1503
03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Good Luck JJ!!

You'll do fine.
I'm hoping to make it to the July class.
What is the Min. that we need to pass each test?
What should we study and keep on top of?
Thanks

Thanks!

Well i can't really tell you what you should start studying, because starting in July, FDLE is changing the whole curriculum. Their suppose to make it more Scenario based for each module/lesson that they teach. For each test you take, you need an 80% or better to pass. When you get to the High liability section, you still need an 80% or better for the written tests, but you need a 100% for the practical tests.

The best advice i can give you is get into some sort of shape, if your already not. When it comes time for Defensive Tactics, you'll need to be in some shape. Also, buy a hand gripper (Sp?) to strengthen up your grip. That will come in handy when you get to the Firearms section.