PDA

View Full Version : Working for North Port?

08-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Well I'm over here visiting some family for the weekend and I am considering a move. I am currently eployed with the City Of New Smyrna Beach (Patrol Officer) for about three years now. For those of you who havent heard of it, it's about 20 minutes south of Daytona Beach. We have about 75 officers and only cover about 30 square miles (I see it is much more over here).

I am just wondering what it is like over here, crime wise. Drugs, domestics, etc... or a peice of everything. We use plain talk you? How about equipment we have take home cars, anywhere in county. All the normal stuff too. Printers in the cars, GPS all the stuff, nothing to crazy, but were pretty much ahead of other departments in the area including county when it comes to top shelf equipment. I mean how departments carry a .45 H&K.

Anyway right now I a assigned to patrol, although my main duty id DUI enforcement and traffic, was just issued an unmarked Charger (yeah its pretty sweet).

Well a little feedback about working over here would be nice. Oh yeah what your schedule ovr here. We work 12 hour shifts and a 2, 2, 3 fomat if that makes any sense. Basically every other weekend is a three day weekend off. I see the pay is more by looking at the website I would start at about 2-3 dollars an hour more than I am making now.

08-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi there and thanks for inquiring. I'll start out by saying we have around 100 or so officers. We have a traffic unit who drive unmarked vehicles: 2 Chargers, 1 Magnum, 1 Impala, and 1 Tahoe. All of our detectives drive unmarked Crown Vics for the most part, with the exception of two who drive an Explorer and a F150. All of our black and whites come completely equipped with LED light bars and strobes, stalker dual radars, in car video systems, and the other normal equipment. Each officer is assigned a laptop computer for dispatch and report writing. At this time, we have no in car printers, but those are supposed to be coming sometime in October. Officers who complete the FTO program are assigned a vehicle and officers are able to take their cars home within a 20 mile radius outside the city limits.

North Port is a fast growing community currently around 105 square miles in size. Our population is over 50,000 and growing. As far as crime, we have the usual; burglaries, thefts, batteries. Night shift deals with most of the domestics which we have our fair share of, but that is no different from any other agency.

Our benefits are very good, paid for by the city. The employee is responsible for paying for any dependants he/she wants covered. Benefits include health, dental, and vision.

We work 12 hour shifs as well and sounds like the same type of rotation as you are already used to. We work only 80 hours per two week pay period, so one of your scheduled days you will only work 8 hours. Holidays worked are paid at double time and a half and if you're called out to work on a holiday it's triple time. Any hours worked between PM and 6:00 AM are paid at a rate of $.72 per hour shift differential. If you're on call, you're paid one hour regular pay per day you are on call.

Overall this is a great place to work for. We have a lot of great people working here. I too came from another agency and I must say, this is the most enjoyable agency I have had the opportunity to work for.

I hope I have answered most of your questions, if you have any others, I'll be glad to help answer them the best I can. Good Luck to you should you decide to fill out an application.

08-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh almost forgot, each employee is issued five duty uniforms, a class A dress uniform, and full duty gear, including firearm, baton, OC spray, handcuffs, taser, and leather. Everything is provided except for boots/shoes. Each employee does receive a clothing and boot allowance each year which, I believe is around $450 paid each December.

08-22-2007, 11:31 AM
o our city is a dump which really is not a city more like a dump, go with another dept in sarasota county other then us, we have some issues and the city will be going bankrupt in a few years... :wink:

08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Don't listen to that post. You have to think that anyone that would post those types of comments has some sort of issue. It is either someone that was fired or force to quit and is very disgruntled. North Port is a great place to work and we are not going bankrupt. We are a city of 50,000+ and growing. We are not going "metro" the SSO could not man this City and the residents would never alow it. North Port is doing well so some on over.

08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
N PORT IS BORING OK. YOUR DEPT HAS ACTION AND HAS MORE THINGS TO DO. N PORT IS AN UGLY CITY WITH NOTHING. THE CITY DOES HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS AND THE ROADS ARE THE WORSE EVER. OUR CITY (AKA THE DUMP) IS LAUGHT AT BY ALL IN THE COUNTY OF SARASOTA. WE HAVE NOTHING AND ITS HEADED FOR WORSE TIMES.

08-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey Gumpy?, whatever the hell that is, I'd sure like to know what squad you work for that you can be bored working here?
Another North Port Cop wanna be that wants us to believe he works here! Comedy Central at it's best! Go watch COPS reruns!

08-23-2007, 01:03 AM
ya the mean streets of n port this town is a joke and lame at that, you know it :shock: our call volume is sooooooo hefty, this place is a joke of a police dept get me outta here please :x

08-23-2007, 04:11 AM
This is kind of funny. The same person keeps posting those negative comments and says" I'm trying to get out of here." Well let me tell you, if you can't get out by now that means one of two things, 1) you don't work here anymore due to being forced to quit or 2) you are unable to get hired somewhere else for some reason. Hey if you want to work in the slums go to Port Charlotte, Bradenton, or Fort Myers. If you want to keep North Port a safe City stay here. As far as action goes, man give it a break, if you are an adrenaline junky you are dangerous and need to find a different type of employment. We have a strong reputation throughout the LEO community, yes even away from Sarasota. The political turmoile between city and county governments has nothing to do with the agency or how we are viewed as a whole. The county commision has been threatened by North Port's exisitance because we will be the largest city poulation wise in the county and may one day surpass the county in population. That means they lose power, get it? So go find your dream at the end of the rainbow and shut up!

08-23-2007, 04:56 AM
could not of said it better... ty

08-23-2007, 06:22 AM
We have a strong reputation throughout the LEO community, yes even away from Sarasota.

You are so right with that statement!

A strong rep for not hiring African-Americans and a strong rep for being known as the Mayberry of south county.

Go get'em Barney!

08-23-2007, 12:22 PM
N PORT WILL BE A GETTHO BEFORE ANYTHING, PEOPLE ARE MOVING OUT AND ALL THE HOMES ARE EITHER FOR RENT OR FOR SALE WITH NO BUYER. THE AREA HAS POOR EVERYTHING NO ROADS WORTH DRIVING ON, NO SIDE WALKS IN NEIGHBORHOODS AND NO STREET LIGHTS. THIS PLACE IS GOING NO WHERE FAST. MOST PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTY DONT HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO SAY ABOUT NORTH PORT.

08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
First of all whoever is giving out our unmarked vehicles should no better, Officer Safety!!!!! NPPD is a great place to work and live. If you don't like it here please leave now because you are giving us a bad name!!!!!! :lol:

08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
This moron doesn't work with you guys.
I don't work with you guys, and I'm just a citizen, but this guy is getting on my nerves big time. I think NP's a beautiful city with lots of potential that is just starting to come out. I think 41 is MUCH better looking then the rest of the county's 41, and I think in a few years when they are done, Sumter and Toledo Blade are going to make NP an absolutely beautiful city... How can anyone say the city is ugly and a dump with all the new homes and golf course communities. The only logical answer is that this person must live in Highland Ridge or the Jockey Club.... or better yet, somewhere just north of Biscayne. Probably lives in a dump of a house with a rotting carport, and hasn't actually driven around the rest of North Port for the last 10 years... heading only to Dollar Store and Winn Dixie to do his/her shopping.
This isn't a sleepy little town anymore that centers around North Port Blvd... This person and their rambling is very sad, don't they have anything better to do??

08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
CAN YOU SAY GETTHO :lol:

08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
You're obviously not an SPD Officer.
A. They have more class than you.
B. They would know how to properly spell ghetto.
C. Another wanna be cop, using another wanna be name, (SPD)