PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough Sheriff's sergeant shot to death

08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
As some of you may know I came to Collier S.O. after working for Hillsborough County S.O. (Tampa, Fl) for 10 years. Today I was contacted by some friends at Hillsborough to inform me that a friend of ours, Sgt Harrison (20 Year Veteran) had been shot and killed late last night while on duty. They advised me that he was returning to a DUI Check Point and had pulled up to an intersection. It is believed that a male in a pick-up truck got his attention and when Sgt Harrison rolled down his window to assist the motorist, the suspect shot him 2 times with a .45 cal without reason or warning. Sgt Harrison was struck twice in the chest, one shot being a non-survivable wound. Sgt Harrison then turned on his emergency lights and attempted to drive away when he then crashed his patrol car into a tree. He never had a chance to call on his radio but a witness was able to call 911.

Leads took SWAT officers to a nearby residence where the suspect opened fire on arriving officers. Two snipers took the suspect out, killing him without further incident.

Sgt Harrison was a great deputy and supervisor. He leaves behind a wife and four children. Please keep HCSO and his family in your thoughts and prayers. On a personal note, I don't ever recall him not having a smile on his face; what a horrific loss to the agency and community.

It also goes without saying, please keep your guard up and stay safe out there…

Dwaine

Link to story: http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007 ... t+to+death (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/8/15/280290.html?title=Hillsborough+Sheriff's+sergeant+ shot+to+death)

Paparazzi LEO
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
There has been way too many cops murdered this week by assailants.

I hope this is not a new trend to just kill cops for the fun of it.

After reading the story I will be treating my walk-ups and citizen contacts with a different view and tactic.

Sorry for the loss of your friend!

Curios George
08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Violent acts against law enforcement are on the rise! While reading this story from a Tampa newspaper I also saw where the Tampa Police Dept tried to do a traffic stop only days after this murder. The car rammed the cop and when finally stopped he was armed with an AK47 and a sawed-off shotgun.

We need to back each other up on every call and traffic stop no matter how routine the call sounds. A strong show of force will be the only thing that makes someone think twice about committing an act of violence against us.

E111, I always appreciate the over-head support on my traffic stops and love the spotlight and the effects it has on the people I am dealing with. Keep up the good work from the air. It makes a difference!

08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Just goes to show you that we should be slow to lash out at each other in forums like this one. I am as aggressive as anyone out there, but remember the brother that you're attacking today may be the one that saves your life tomorrow. Keep it all in perspective. We have to be there for each other and the most stressful thing about this job is the stress that we cause each other.

08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
If you have the chance take a look at Broward SO postings. They are a bit tense right now. It seems there are some people out there pointing fingers at all the wrong people. Bad people did this...it was not the color of uniforms or the admin. that was home sleeping. I think everyone needs to step up the officer safety and stop saying "cancel the other unit I'll advise". Lets not forget what we all learned and lets all go home at the end of the night.

By the way...about the air unit. I have worked at a department with a larger air unit, more helicoptors and neighboring agencies with large air units also. The CCSO air unit is fantastic. They are all cops willing to give up a good nights rest to fly overhead and make sure we all remain safe. Their FIND rate must far surpass any other air unit in this state.

08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I was there today. Our brothers are in pain. They will heal, and will continue the mission.

Stay alert out there my boys. The bad guys seem to have declared open season on all of us. Let's not let it happen to us.

08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Guest 1010 and Curios George, thank you for your kind words about the Aviation Unit. We do try hard to provide the very best service possible. We also know that without you, we would not have a job so it is especially nice to hear from those that we serve that our service is recognized and appreciated.

As for our capture and locate rate, I believe it is very high in comparison to other agency’s. But the aviation unit can not take the full credit for this. It is a team effort starting with communications, deployment of district units, establishing solid perimeters followed by K-9 and air.

Together we can accomplish anything safely and effectively.

Stay safe and as always, if you need air…just call!!

Dwaine

09-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Been a while Dwaine;
Things are still the same here in Colorado.. Sorry for the loss. Keep 'Owning the Night' and keeping our brothers there safe. Your brothers on the ground there should be thankful. We still don't have an aviation unit anywhere near here, every once in a while the state has fixed wing out running radar but that's it. :(