PDA

View Full Version : Traffic And Neighborhood Stablization Unit

08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Someone please answer this question. Why was this unit formed? They hardly work the weekends and if they do its only to do joint DUI enforcement. You hardly ever see them after 2300 hrs at night. Doesnt most DUI stops come later at night? How about the Weekends? When they are working, why dont they work crashes? Forget about them on holidays. Seems to me that the only thing they generate are suspended license arrest's with most of them being of a minority nature. Think it's time for this unit to be looked at more closely and supervised better. :shock:

08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
THEY WISH THEY WERE A TAC OR STREET CRIME UNIT BUT THEY JUST DO TRAFFIC STUFF :shock:

08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Clearly, this was written by somone who works for NPPD. First off, the TNS unit most certainly works vehicle crashes when the unit is working. I know for a fact that the TNS unit responds to almost every crash when they are working unless it is a minor no road blockage no injury or parking lot crash. Per SOPs, the TNS unit does not work those type of crashes. Perhpas, before going on a rant, you should read the SOPs.

Secondly, the TNS supervisor is someone I would like to work for. Sgt. Sirianni is not a micro manager and allows his guys to do their jobs with minimal interference. You varely rarely hear him get on the radio and ask how long one of his guys is going to be on a call or what they are doing. It would be nice if every supervisor would allow their guys to do their jobs.

As far as the unit not working holidays, hmmmmm, I can only think of one holiday they weren't working and only because it fell on a Monday. Those guys are like everyone else that works at the PD and want to work on the holidays for the OT.

The TNS unit does more than just traffic. The unit is often expected to change their schedule at the last minute to work surveillance for CIB, take care of a problematic neighbor, like getting a drug dealer evicted, sit on a crime scene, and a multitude of other tasks you may not be aware of. That unit works very hard and is, more often then not, the first to arrive at a major scene and the first to find the bad guys. That unit has had great sucess at finding burglaries in progress, catching armed robbers, and catching home burglars. Again, before spouting off at the mouth, you may want to do some homework before saying these guys don't do work.

As far as making arrests for suspended or no licenses, those individuals have no or suspended licenses for a reason and should not be driving. Just because it may not be an exciting arrest, they are taking bad guys to jail and many of these arrests have led to drug arrests, etc. Again, do some homework before opening up your mouth.

That's all, there is your answer. I am glad the TNS unit is out there. They provide a great assistance to road patrol.

08-28-2007, 11:16 PM
I am a traffic unit with another agency, with a unit that is set up almost identical as yours. The people who run their mouth about what the unit does or does not do is nothing but typical to say the least. What they do not understand or what to tell you is that "They" the complainers were given a chance just like any other employee to try out for the unit and either: 1: Did not get chosen for what ever reason, 2: Did not try out because it is easier to ***** then do something else about it. 3: They were too scared to have to work more than they were custom to and move their shifts around at a drop of a hat.

The officer complains about the unit not working late, or not working crashes, etc. 1st off, being in the unit you work more days being on 8 hrs and not 12hrs, 2nd: having to change their schedule at the last minute, and missing out on family events, 3 working DUI check points (which most officers hate I might add), 4 Standing in the hot sun on a street corner, school zone in the sun doing flag overs and not being in the nice A/C Car, 5 Being hated by the public because you are proceived as not having a heart because you write tickets to people, and them not understanding that is your job, 6 and the list can and will go on!!!!! :(

As we tell other officers that ***** about our unit, if you don't like it try out for it and get it then you would understand how much work we do and miss out on the family or just shut up. But then again, in every LEO agency there are your constant *****ers. :cry:

08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
, 5 Being hated by the public because you are proceived as not having a heart because you write tickets to people, and them not understanding that is your job, 6 and the list can and will go on!!!!!

Just a quick question. I didn't know it was your job to write tickets. I don't think writing tickets is in any job description for LEO. But I don't know.

08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
There is no SOP on having to write anykind of citation for a traffic infraction. It is the officer's discretion to issue a citation, written warning, or verbal warning or take no action at all.
However verbal warnings do not generate much paper work, which feeds the city paper monster that justifies an increase in department funding.

Written warnings and verbal warnings also do not generate any kind of funds for the state, county, city or the state run police incentive pay fund, that written citations do.

It is a never ending cycle of creating more paper work through more traffic stops, to increase activity to increase more money for the PD.

Traffic stops are realy the only officer controled activity in the PD. They can decide whether to stop a vehicle for some infraction or not. If they are sent to a home for a complaint, they have no other recourse but to do so and fill out some type of incident report.

Many people would be supprised as to how many more officer generated incident numbers there are compared to public generated incidents.

08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Someone please answer this question. Why was this unit formed? They hardly work the weekends and if they do its only to do joint DUI enforcement. You hardly ever see them after 2300 hrs at night. Doesnt most DUI stops come later at night? How about the Weekends? When they are working, why dont they work crashes? Forget about them on holidays. Seems to me that the only thing they generate are suspended license arrest's with most of them being of a minority nature. Think it's time for this unit to be looked at more closely and supervised better. :shock:

Dear Confused,
I was told of your remarks today about the TNS Unit that I run in North Port. It would appear that you have a problem with some of the facets or our daily operations.

It is sad that you would chose to write anonymously about these concerns instead of coming to the PD at my office.

Please accept this open invitation to discuss your concerns with me in person. I hope that I can provide some answers to you.

This is my first time logging on to this site. I don't see the point of complaining about problems or people without leaving a real name.

Best Regards,
Tony Sirianni
TNS Unit
North Port

09-01-2007, 05:48 PM
what a weak name for this unit, what do you do screen packages comming into venice airport???????????????????

09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
boring north port boring