PDA

View Full Version : forum and dispatch

08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
For those that aren't aware the newssun has a forum. Barry Foster has made a post regarding the consolidation of dispatch with Avon Park. From reading it I guess some Sebring officers voiced their concerns with officer safety since they have consolidated with our dispatch.

I think we can all agree dispatch is already over worked. How many times have we tried to call in something and been told to 23 or not even be answered? How many times has the radio system been down? Do we really need to add another department? How long before one of us is hurt because of the radio system or dispatch not hearing us because they are on the phone, running information, pulling a warrant....

So if anyone else feels the same...please voice your opinion. If you don't feel the same...I'm sure you will voice that as well.

08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Great more radio delay. I for one don't think we need anymore pots on the stove. If the s.o. is going to take over the county law enforcement then do it and get it over with. Otherwise leave eveything the way it is.

08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I work in dispatch, I'm one of the older ones with lots of experience and I can honestly say that I've NEVER experienced the kind of stress and workload we have now. And we're taking on EOC fire/ambulance dispatch as of Wednesday also. We've done all this with practically NO increase in dispatchers. We ended up with only one of SPD's dispatchers at this point, so that's only one extra person. I'm so sorry about the delays and other aggravations you guys are experiencing, but we are absolutely overwhelmed and snowed under in there. Several days ago I had a 911 call for a near-drowning and I'm on the phone giving instructions for that while simultaneously handling a 10-50 on the radio. Talk about nerve wracking. I think the powers that be underestimated how busy adding SPD would make us. The very thought of taking on APPD right now is enough to drive most of us to tears. We are NOT ready. We all feel really bad, like we're letting all the officers down by not being able to completely handle the workload, but I don't see it getting better any time soon. I know that this consolidation is coming, but I hope to God that it's not any time soon!

08-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I work in dispatch, I'm one of the older ones with lots of experience and I can honestly say that I've NEVER experienced the kind of stress and workload we have now. And we're taking on EOC fire/ambulance dispatch as of Wednesday also. We've done all this with practically NO increase in dispatchers. We ended up with only one of SPD's dispatchers at this point, so that's only one extra person. I'm so sorry about the delays and other aggravations you guys are experiencing, but we are absolutely overwhelmed and snowed under in there. Several days ago I had a 911 call for a near-drowning and I'm on the phone giving instructions for that while simultaneously handling a 10-50 on the radio. Talk about nerve wracking. I think the powers that be underestimated how busy adding SPD would make us. The very thought of taking on APPD right now is enough to drive most of us to tears. We are NOT ready. We all feel really bad, like we're letting all the officers down by not being able to completely handle the workload, but I don't see it getting better any time soon. I know that this consolidation is coming, but I hope to God that it's not any time soon!

My heart goes out to you, i wish you would let the ap council know how you feel they are under the impression that all is well and you guys are ready to go with this thing. the bottom line here is officer safety and to be that overwhelmed is not good. been in your shoes 7 year vet dispatcher not fun to under the gun like that. hang in there

08-16-2007, 12:51 AM
I just wanted to let you know that I feel for everyone here. I am a dispatcher for AP and have been doing it for close to seven years now, and I've had my ups and downs with the department but as far as dispatching goes, it just comes to me naturally. I'm so scared that someone is going to get hurt when we consolidate, the delays in answering the radios and the phones is just a disaster waiting to happen. I know how stressed you guys down at the SO are, we are trying to convince the council to wait a year but the admin down there keeps telling them that our jobs are a piece of cake. They have NO idea as to what we have to deal with, God forbid that someone is injured or dies when we are working it is something that will scar us professionally and personally for the rest of our lives. I just wish someone would tip the council into our stress.

08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm sure everyone has heard of the recent tradegedy in Brandon w/the Sgt. being "SIG. 5" for no reason. The Sgt. alledgedly attempted to use the radio to call for assistance but was unable to get out on the radio. This was because of the radio traffic. I know Hillsborough Co. is alot bigger than HCSO but, I'm afraid it is going to take someone getting seriously injured or killed before the Commucation Division is "reamped" to better serve the LEO's of Highlands. I know "some" dispatchers are on top of things but most are "out in left field" w/know clue on what is going on w/their channel. I take my hat off to those dispatchers who pay attention and are taking care of us. They just need to realize that our lifes depend on them most of the time. Stay Safe, HCSO D/S

08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
There's an old saying and goes something like this. " You never miss the water until the well runs dry". That's how I feel about lossing our dispatch. And I really feel bad for the dispatcher at HCSO. you guys had no say in the matter as we didn't either, so you're not the blame. I only hope the lights comes on for those who sit in the offices and go home at 5pm if not earlier. My hats off to you gals.