PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here.

08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Can anyone suggest what I should do about feeling less and less like doing the LEO thing day to day. I have been an LEO for about eighteen years now and a I am at the point of not caring anymore. I don't mean I don't care about people and their problems, I guess I have just reached my limit on the suffering an death we have to deal with. Any positive responses and suggestions are welcome.

08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Well I guess of the few people who read my post no one cares one way or the other. Thanks for helping a brother out!

08-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Can anyone suggest what I should do about feeling less and less like doing the LEO thing day to day. I have been an LEO for about eighteen years now and a I am at the point of not caring anymore. I don't mean I don't care about people and their problems, I guess I have just reached my limit on the suffering an death we have to deal with. Any positive responses and suggestions are welcome.

please don't think that somebody doesn't care, it sounds as though you are suffering from deppression might i suggest that you go see a therapist. talking this thing out might help. the things you see and deal with everyday can put a strain on a person mind. hang in there

prayers for you

08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Guest 41,

Thanks for the prayers but I'm not depressed. I was looking for some suggestions on what I should do career wise. I guess I just don't want to do the job anymore.

08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Have you tried doing something else within the department? I know there aren't a great deal of opportunties but the next time something comes up put in for it and see if you may like the change.

08-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I know that Sheriff has a guy on contract that has helped many of us through things like this. His name is Bill Garrison. He used to be a cop and is a police pschologist and understands our business. Sheriff asks no questions and there is no information given to the SO, she has him just for us. I have heard from some deputies that have talked with him that he really has made a difference for them. Give it a try, call HR and they can give you the number, no questions asked.

Good luck and I can also agree with a previous poster, just changing what you do after such a long time helps; even within the agency. It challenges us to learn new things and brightens our spirit in the process. The hard part is most of us are afraid of change and that makes these decisions that much more difficult.

God Bless.

08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Guest 41,

Thanks for the prayers but I'm not depressed. I was looking for some suggestions on what I should do career wise. I guess I just don't want to do the job anymore.

Now see!! you do have brothers within your department that do care, go see the therapist he will help you sort this out, also trying new things is also a great idea. hang in there.

prayers for you all

08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Tired Deputy

Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt.........sounds a bit like burn out to me. There are several options open to you. When making your decision, think of your family and yourself FIRST. They are what's important. If you’re not happy at work, it will probably start having an affect on your family life. You may not see it until it’s too late. Again, been there....You are in the driver's seat, simply changing your duties within an agency can give some temporary relief. Changing to another law enforcement agency is more then likely not the answer either if you truly don't like the work anymore. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. The other agencies have their share of bureaucracy and bull s---- as well.

I think you really need to define why you "don't want to do the job anymore". If you can do so, then the right path (answer) will come. If it is truly the job where the problem is, then find something else to do. I know some may find this hard to believe, but there is life outside of law enforcement, both on a financial and personal level.

I could ramble on and share war stories.....but won't. In closing if you need to speak in person and confidence with anyone who’s been there give me a call. I have left my E-Mail address in previous postings, or get with any of the guys at the office (FDLE) and they will be able to find me.

Best of luck, hope you find the root of the problem.......remember, think of you and your family first.

08-16-2007, 10:37 AM
i am very happy to see this forum used for constructive reasons. it is good to see people being there for each other instead of tearing each other down. tired road deputy hang in there, and the advice of the last poster is awesome.

08-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey tired deputy. Like JK, been there & done that. Realize that whatever line of work you get into, it's only a job. You may find that you won't be any happier in another line of work. They all have their own frustrations. Do a good job as a cop, but when your shift is over, go home and forget about it. If you don't take yourself or our job too seriously, you may find that it can actually be fun. For some sage advise that you might find helpful, visit http://www.desiderata.com/

Sgt. Sock

08-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Its only normal to feel that way after 18 or so years. With the 3 current LEO shootings it make us all wonder why we do what we do and question our mortality. Some of the suggestions listed above are great, have you also considered a vacation, just get away and relax and think about all the great things in your life and not the daily departmental B/S.

Its east for all of us to tell you these things, but once its all said and done and you can retire, its sure nice seeing that pension every month.

Hang in there and don't do anything drastic. Please write back, as you see there are several of us who really do care.

08-18-2007, 12:06 AM
A wise man once said, "work to live, NOT live to work." This fact is especially true in what we do every day. We all know those that identify themselves by their profession and love to tout "who" they are. This is definitely a recipie for disaster.

Confide in some of your bros, and when you 56, talk this crap out. Din't hold it in, cause it will rot you from the inside. With just the support you have from these keystrokes, just imagine what you will receive when you talk to some of your co-workers that you trust. It feels good to get this crap off your chest, and remember, do not let any of this sh*t get to you personally.

Hang in there, cause we feel ya. I know I do.

08-18-2007, 04:53 PM
i also have been on the job for a little over 18 years and i have 17 months left until i can retire from the department i'm with. I can only say to you, i'm taking it day by day and i can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Go to work, do what you do best and go home to your family. Whatever you haven't done in this career by now, it probably won't get done. Don't worry about the things you can't change or control, only do what you have control of and let everythign else take care of itself.

God be with you.

08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Well I've made a decision about the way I feel about the job. I do not feel I can continue to work in the job and provide the service that I would expect from myself as an LEO. (So everyone is clear I am not depressed, suicidal or in any way a loose cannon).

I have become more and more grumpy in the last few months, snapping at the family from time to time. If you knew me you would never be able to tell but I hate coming to work every single day. I think everyone has a limit on what they go through and I have reached mine.

I realize I am not superman, I can't stop crime single handed and I don't want to continue to try. I thank everyone for their suggestions, I have tried different things within agencies, I have tried a vaction. Just time to move on and try a new challenge. Thanks for the prayers most of all.

08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Well I've made a decision about the way I feel about the job. I do not feel I can continue to work in the job and provide the service that I would expect from myself as an LEO. (So everyone is clear I am not depressed, suicidal or in any way a loose cannon).

I have become more and more grumpy in the last few months, snapping at the family from time to time. If you knew me you would never be able to tell but I hate coming to work every single day. I think everyone has a limit on what they go through and I have reached mine.

I realize I am not superman, I can't stop crime single handed and I don't want to continue to try. I thank everyone for their suggestions, I have tried different things within agencies, I have tried a vaction. Just time to move on and try a new challenge. Thanks for the prayers most of all.

LOTS OF PRAYERS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTY.

08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I worked the job over 30 years. changed departments 3 times. Same thing just different people. I would definetly go see Bill Garrison. He is a great guy and totally understands LEO's problems. All in All it is a great job and your personal attitude has everything to do with how you handle your stress. Your family, friends, and others close to you must be number one in your life. You must talk with someone or it will only get worse. Life is worth living, look for the positive things around you each day. Believe me, sometimes change is good... but only you can make that decision. Be sure to include someone who is close to you in your thoughts. Get things in perspective before its to late... you owe it to yourself and family.
Seriously... go see Bill Garrison... from a former LEO in Dade County with family in Sebring.
If you need to talk with someone let me know, and I will call you. Thats how important this is.

08-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Hey Bro,

You have made a decision to move on!! I would encourage you to keep your standards active, and take a break from it.

I applaud you for realizing you are burned out and moving on. There are so many that hang around and become slugs, safety liablilites and eventually morale killers.

Good luck in your future endeavors!!!