PDA

View Full Version : Gunfire during standoff in Sarasota

08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Gunfire during standoff in Sarasota

Posted on Thursday August 09, 2007

SARASOTA - A four-hour standoff with a man deputies say was armed, suicidal and intoxicated is now over.

The man could face attempted murder charges for trying to shoot a swat team member and it all happened in the Palmer Ranch neighborhood of Turtle Rock.

This man is married with two young children, but he was home alone when he barricaded himself inside his house with a loaded gun. Deputies say it took four hours and a lot of manpower to get the situation to end the way it did.

Loaded up with full artillery and dressed for combat, the more than two -dozen sheriff's deputies and SWAT team members caught those living in the upscale Palmer Ranch neighborhood by surprise.

Chuck Lesaltato, with the Sarasota Sheriff’s Office says, "This neighborhood is usually a peaceful community, and I think police presence has caused a little bit of alarm as far as what's going on."

Deputies say around one o'clock, they got a 911 call from a relative of 41-year-old Michael Porcelli, saying Porcelli was suicidal.

Deputies went to his house, where Porcelli was home alone.

"While on the phone with the person, there was a gunshot. Deputies held their position, and swat team was called out."

But deputies say when the SWAT team got inside the garage Porcelli fired his gun at them barely missing one of the deputies. The SWAT team got out, neighbors were evacuated and negotiators were called in.

"What kind of situation is that to be on the phone trying to convince a man to come out of his house? Our negotiators are well-trained, and we're able to talk him to coming out, that he wouldn't be hurt."

More than four hours after the whole ordeal began, Porcelli was talked out of the house.

Deputies aren't sure at this point what pushed him over the edge, but they do know he was drunk.

"That must heighten a situation even more. When you're dealing with someone under the influence. Right, whether it's alcohol or drugs, you never know how they're going to respond. Like I said, we're fortunate he was able to understand what we were telling him."

Michael Porcelli is currently facing aggravated assault charges, but deputies say those charges could likely be upgraded to attempted murder charges.

At this point, the investigation is still ongoing.

08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
WISH WE HAD A SWAT UNIT HUMMM AND OTHER UNITS I HATE OUR SMALL PO DUNK AGENCY

08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
So, if you dont like it, THEN LEAVE and dont let the door hit you on the way out. No one asked you disgrunted employees to work here or anywhere else. It is your attitude that sucks and you probably have the same attitude at home. The State and Country are wide open. PIck one you will be happy with... oh I forgot, someone like you will never be happy. You bring misery to anything around you.

08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I HEAR YA AND I AM TRYING , YOU THINK I WANT TO STAY HERE NO JOB SECURITY. N PORT IS HEADING DOWN THE TUBES AND FAST.

08-23-2007, 03:28 AM
YEA YOU NEED TO LEAVE .... PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHAT GET OTEHRS HURT ..... LEAVE NOW.... A** HOLE.....

08-23-2007, 03:30 AM
oh yea .... i for got one more thing to mention.... AND WHEN YOU DO LEAVE TAKE THE OTHERS LIKE YOU, WITH YOU... FU*K HEAD

08-23-2007, 12:14 PM
i may leave with you cause nppd is a small town dept that frankly will be gone in under 5yrs, i agree with you also. i am going back to frs and leaving this city pension crap. i am sick of getting the shaft with the city pension b/s. we have limit opportunities at nppd and the area is UGLY :shock:

08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

That poster just talked to and agreed with themselves!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
You are a very sad person!

Anyway, I'm willing to bet it's whoever Daisy Duke was....