PDA

View Full Version : crisis

08-05-2007, 11:23 AM
i have been hearing lately that the city has money problems and it is not looking good sometime down the road. has anyone one else heard this. i got a feeling our city is falling apart :cry:

08-05-2007, 12:14 PM
You have been posting this crap for months now. I think it is time you just give up man. No one care about your stupid wash woman gossip.

08-05-2007, 12:54 PM
i have been hearing lately that the city has money problems and it is not looking good sometime down the road. has anyone one else heard this. i got a feeling our city is falling apart :cry:
That is correct. When you look at a financial analysis of the City of North Port over the next five to 10 years, it looks dismal. North Port does not have the necessary financial infrastructure to meet basic urban needs over the next few years. This is for several reasons: North Port is primarily a bedroom community with few industries to provide jobs. As a result, most North Porters have to leave the city to find work elsewhere. The taxes that their employers pay go to other jurisdictions, such as Sarasota County, Sarasota City, Venice, etc. [/*:m:xbwbg5rn]
Collecting taxes from residences isn't enough money to:
1) repair the crumbling roads (it's a nightmare)
2) replace all the septic tanks in the city
3) adequately provide for present and future infrastructural needs[/*:m:xbwbg5rn]
Due to the historical low cost of property and homes in the city, North Port has attracted the lower end of the socioeconomic community i.e. North Port has attracted not only young people, but primarily poor people who need social services and free hand-outs. So instead of attracting a strong tax base of people who can support the city, North Port has attracted poor people who take more than they give because they are (for lack of a better term) welefare recipients. With such a gigantic population of poor people, the City of North Port cannot expect to experience industrial growth, entrepreneurship, or the creation of a solid "taxpaying base" of people. The City of Sarasota has Newtown, but also has some of the richest property in the United States. The City of Sarasota is balanced between the poor and the rich, but North Port is unbalanced because it's primarily the lower socioeconomic spectrum which cannot support, maintain or promote economic growth e.g. the necessary financial infrastructural is NOT in place to support the present and future financial needs of North Port. It's a disaster waiting to happen. If the right economic conditions happen, then North Port may not implode financially in the future. However, at the rate it's going, North Port cannot sustain itself. If North Port goes bankrupt in the future, then Sarasota County will be saddled with all the responsibilities of providing urban services for North Port. [/*:m:xbwbg5rn]I'm not saying that North Port is going to financially implode because there are too many variables to consider, but if nothing changes, then it seems likely. It depends on: The future land market.[/*:m:xbwbg5rn]
The future housing market.[/*:m:xbwbg5rn]
Establishing an industrial/retail base in the City of North Port. It will have to be a significant increase.[/*:m:xbwbg5rn]
Passing pay-as-you-go building ordinances so that current and future North Porters are NOT saddled with the cost of building and maintaining these infrastructural needs. Builders don't like these kinds of laws and it will slow down growth, but conversely, it will not saddle current and future North Porters with debt e.g. with monies that they don't have. The pay-as-you-go method builds a solid infrastructure and tax base. It's highly unlikely that the city commissioners will pass any such laws because from their perspective, it will slow down growth too much, which in the short run, slows down incoming tax revenue; but in the long run, it increases the tax revenue and, in actuality, brings in more money. The commissioners are taking the short-sighted view because they don't understand how these economic issues work, in relation to creating a sound financial infrastructural base for the future. [/*:m:xbwbg5rn]Hard economic decisions are going to have to be made now by the commissioners, if the city is to stay in existence as a solvent municipality.

08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
great post and yes this city has many issues and its not looking good down the road :oops: