PDA

View Full Version : time line

08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
INVESTIGATION TIMELINE:

July 9, 1:26 a.m. Ashworth tells police he "was attacked and forced to do drugs." No case file is opened, with police noting that "complainant was very confused and gave a couple of different stories." :shock:

July 9, 1:26 p.m. Ashworth tells police "he was strangled and forced at knife point to do drugs to prove he was not assisting officers. He advised that ... he feels that tonight there may be more serious things done." No case file is opened. :shock:

July 10, 12:12 a.m. "Mr. Ashworth's trailer was set on fire. ... Mr. Ashworth advised that last night he was beaten." Police open criminal mischief investigation into fire but do not investigate assault complaint.

July 10, 3:13 p.m. Commissioner Barbara Gross receives an e-mail from the office of U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan. Buchanan's office has been contacted by Ashworth's sister, Lynn, regarding the attack.

July 10, 3:39 p.m. Commissioner Barbara Gross sends an e-mail to the city manager, police and fire chiefs regarding Ashworth's assault complaints.

July 11, 11:04 a.m. Police open investigation into the July 9 assault.

08-03-2007, 02:15 AM
It's a shame things like that happen. My experience with NPPD (as a citizen of NP) is at one extreme or the other. Most of the time I've dealt with them I'm impressed with their professionalism and attitude. Then I read these stories (I imagine the guy was a quack, but even quacks get assaulted sometimes), and the story with the graffitti, and I get a whole other opinion.

Today my home alarm went off accidentally. The NPPD officers who responded (extremely fast) were professional and very polite, especially considering why they were responding (dumb citizen sets off his own alarm...) Yet in other instances, such as when my home was robbed twice 4 weeks apart, the "detective" didn't even take prints the second time.

I guess the lesson is that there are some very good officers in NPPD, and maybe a few others that need some work. Don't let the negatives get you guys and girls down; most of the citizens appreciate the level of safety we have as a result of your sacrifices. I know it's a thankless job usually, but know that you are appreciated.

Dan