PDA

View Full Version : Is USF PD hiring?

08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
With all this news about USF PD, doesn this mean they will be hiring? What pay does it start at and what does it top out at?

08-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Starts at around 35,000 tops out at around 35,000.

08-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Starts at around 35,000 tops out at around 35,000.

LOL!!!!!!

08-01-2007, 08:31 PM
With all this news about USF PD, doesn this mean they will be hiring? What pay does it start at and what does it top out at?

USFPD may or may not be right up your alley. As far as the people that work there, they are a pretty good group of people. However we are going through kind of a rough time in the department and we have reached a point where any one that can go to another department is going. Numbers are down, morale is in the s@#tter, there is nothing left to say by the command staff except maybe "hey great job" or "hang in there". There are no more carrots to dangle in front of patrol. The University Administration would get rid of us if they weren't mandated by Florida State Statute.

For the retired officer it seems as the perfect place to work on a second retirement (which seems maybe to be a trend). Don't get me wrong these officers are well respected and bring alot to the agency. But if you dont have that first retirement coming in it WILL be difficult to raise a family.

The pay is among the LOWEST in the Bay Area (Believe it or not it use to be competitive). There is no step plan and you are at the mercy of the state when it comes to state increases. The University will not implement any type of substantial pay plan unless forced by arbitration which is where our contract negotiations will probably go (and even then who knows).

With that said we at USFPD look forward to reading your application and meeting you.

08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
If you are like me and receiving a nice pension check from another agency, then I am am sure University police is a great fit. I love FIU as with my pension and FIU check I am making a little over $100,000 a year and having fun doing it (looking at all the eye candy and opening a door here and there). It is an awesome job for retired guys. 8)

08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Stew at FIU, I'm also retired and would love to take the college job. I hope these guys that need the money more, make out well. I honestly feel for them.

08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Stew at FIU, I'm also retired and would love to take the college job. I hope these guys that need the money more, make out well. I honestly feel for them.

08-01-2007, 09:14 PM
They should have been hiring retired people all along. Retired people that still have some work left in them and are not looking for a total do nothing retirement job. They continue to hire the young people that want want to do the police work that all rookies want to do, and for the most part it just isnt here most of the time. Most of the retired people don't complain about the salary either, because it is a good second job retirement salary.

08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I feel for them to. When The PBA rep at FIU asked me what I wanted in the upcoming negotiations I told him get what you need for you. I am already getting the gravy on my potatoes and what you negotiate will only improve my situation.

FIU is the best kept secret in law enforcement for retired officers. They started me at 40,081, I get 1440 a year in salary incentive, another 1,200 in shift pay for working noon shift and 11 paid Holidays which is another 1,760. So close to $45,000 a year to open doors write a report here and there and a reasonable amount of overtime if you want to work it. A good health plan and the State Retirement Plan which doesnt suck any of your salary out to pay for your pension. I was a trooper for a little over 4 years so I only need a little over a year more of service to be vested for a second pension. :lol:

08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Stew, you are the man. Is there any openings???????????, at FIU?

Dude, you were a trooper for four year with a retirement? That is brilliant,
man. I would love to do it!!!

08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
No I left FHP and went to a municipal agency and did my time with the municipal agency and got my retirement. Since you never lose your state time I only need a little over a year to be vested for a second pension.

I believe they are still accepting applications, but do not know they will be hiring as all shifts are up to minimum staffing levels and with the current State Budget Crisis dont know they will add any additional officers at this time. :cry:

08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey you retirees. USF PD has openings, about 5-7 right now I believe. Yeah we have had some controversy but we need a good core of officers who are seasoned and dont mind doing some real police work now and then. We do have the occasional robbery and had a murder in 2005, which our detectives solved. But by and large our problems are theft, stolen vehicles and distrubances. We do a lot of traffic to. It is slower than most city work, but just dont come here and plan to sit on your a$$ and do nothing.

$35,000 to start, state pension and all that. We dont have a step plan but if you have a retirement already who cares? Also our chief is a real go-getter so our situation will hopefully improve.

APPLY NOW!

08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey you retirees. USF PD has openings, about 5-7 right now I believe. Yeah we have had some controversy but we need a good core of officers who are seasoned and dont mind doing some real police work now and then. We do have the occasional robbery and had a murder in 2005, which our detectives solved. But by and large our problems are theft, stolen vehicles and distrubances. We do a lot of traffic to. It is slower than most city work, but just dont come here and plan to sit on your a$$ and do nothing.

$35,000 to start, state pension and all that. We dont have a step plan but if you have a retirement already who cares? Also our chief is a real go-getter so our situation will hopefully improve.

APPLY NOW!

I could not agree more Guest 007. Come one come all. We should encourage seasoned retirees from other departments to pick up another pay check. It is definitely a market we could tap into for recruiting. Up until the new Chief God knows the department did nothing in the way of recruiting despite the constant offers from officers to go into the local academies and speak on USFPD's behalf (ON THEIR OWN TIME).

USFPD is and always will be a revolving door. Even with the 3 yr contracts. I commend the officers who stay whether by choice or not. I congratulate those who get picked up by other agencies and I do respect the veterans who come for the second retirement.

Lets sell the bikes, the motors, the boat, and pawn the FLIR, contact Ty Pennington for a make over and start a new...

08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
reno911 is right! Except, lets keep the motors and the boat. We have a BRAND NEW Harley Roadking sitting back there just waiting for a qualified motor officer to ride it.

Also the boat would be a nice gig for those of you who like playing on the water. You wont be able to do it everyday, but once in a while is a nice change. We use it at Gasparilla to.

APPLY NOW!

08-03-2007, 06:00 PM
reno911 is right! Except, lets keep the motors and the boat. We have a BRAND NEW Harley Roadking sitting back there just waiting for a qualified motor officer to ride it.

Also the boat would be a nice gig for those of you who like playing on the water. You wont be able to do it everyday, but once in a while is a nice change. We use it at Gasparilla to.

APPLY NOW!

Apparently you didnt pick up on my sarcastic tone. REVOLVING DOOR, TY PENNINGON come on man.

08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh yes I did...but your reply just told me who you are!

Thanks!

08-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh yes I did...but your reply just told me who you are!

Thanks!

Well since you know who I am why don't you introduce yourself?

08-07-2007, 03:37 AM
007 come on man, get your head out of your arse !!!! Keep the motors and boat, who are you kidding? We are down to 3-4 officers on a squad and you expect to take these "side" vehicles out. How about you just try to get officers not to quit, show up to work, and get healthy enough to come back to regular duty before we start sales pitching the plethora of specialty units we offer. "Reno 911" nailed it right on the head, we should sell what we can and have a huge barbeque with the proceeds.......maybe a keg too.......who's in??

08-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Get those applications in folks. we just lost another one !!!!!!

keg wwoooo hhoooo I'm in

08-07-2007, 05:35 AM
I've been out. Who'd we loose? I know we have several looking.

08-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Ofc. Zale took a more lucrative position within the University. Making 7 thousand more starting out then after 3 years with us. Good luck Maria

08-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Ofc. Zale took a more lucrative position within the University. Making 7 thousand more starting out then after 3 years with us. Good luck Maria

08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Congratulations Ex-51on your career move. I have enjoyed working with you and believe you made a wise decision at a crucial time given the department's current state of affairs. I am happy for you. Good luck. You will be missed at the PD.