PDA

View Full Version : patrol vacancies?

07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
i hear there is a hiring freeze in effect because of the budget\tax cut. so when we lose a guy\gal from teh agency due to retrement,better deal,etc. we are not filling their job to save money. i still see specialty unit positions posted to be filled. am i understanding this right? are we still filling the specialty units from patrol spots even now when there is no hope to fill patrol with trainees? this is just my take, if i am wrong someone help me out. it seems to misguided to be true.

07-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Just had a mess of trainees come out of STEP. Don't know, though.

07-29-2007, 01:28 AM
i saw them too. in nw. their id's are pretty low to be brand new hires though. did they get put through standards or what. is there a classroom step class going on now?

08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
No new positions to be created... However, they are still filling existing vacancies. Quit worrying about specialty units so much and do your job to the best of your ability. Unless you want to learn how to dart and round up cattle, operate speed detection equipment, run a dog, analyze procap data and implement creative solutions, dive, ride a horse, fly a helicopter, conduct illegal dumping investigations, lug around a load of forty cases etc.... etc... etc.... Then maybe we can get rid of them all. You better get started!!!

08-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Patrol is the way to go. We have 14 days on, 14 days off, no call out (Unless hurricanes and therefore we ALL get called out) Court on your days off is extra (depending on your supervisor, then its flex time)

Speciality units are called out at a moments notice and upper staffs little toys because they think that the speciality units are expendable. Think about it, before you go around complaining about the speciality units, maybe you should ask what they are doing. I asked a COPs unit and they are having to do all the sex offenders. I asked how many cases a GCU detective was and he said 36. I asked a traffic unit and they are stuck on the strike force.

Honor Guard, Mounted Unit, they have to practice to get everything right for a funeral, however, they dont get paid for it, they majorily of the time have to flex that time off.

So for the ones that are B***ching.. stop.. its old, if you dont like patrol, then go to a speciality units...

08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
You might want to remind you supervisor that court time IS overtime (that would be code 1 on your time-sheet). Court and call-out is paid... bottom line, it is paid. They need to recheck their directives and if they are not paying your for court then they are in violation.

08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Typicial Polk County gang !! Get used to it I did !!

08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I dont even give a $hit anymore ... LOL ... I get there when I get there and I do what I can to the best of my ability and I refuse to let this bull$hit stress me out or affect my home life or off time. I have a life AWAY from the PCSO and interests that have NOTHING to do with law enforcement and I rarely associate in my off time with anyone from work. I try to take care of myself, eat right, and exercise. My gut doesnt hang over my freakin' gun belt. I dont have to answer to the Chief or Major for the upswing in crime numbers or procap or all the calls pending or this suspect and that complaint or this one. I usually only work 12 days a month with off time and for Polk County I make good money. I dont have a case load hanging over my head 24/7 or victims calling me all day pi$$ing and moaning about their cases and when I go 10-87 it's DONE until the next time I sign on, period. My schedule never changes and I can PLAN events and activities far in advance and it will NOT change or get interrupted at the last minute by some captain's or major's silly idea of how to take a "bite out of crime" requiring a change in MY schedule! I dont get involved in the drama of who's doing who's wife or husband (or both) and who's ki$$ing the most a$$ trying to get promoted or trying to get transferred here or there. I dont go into debt trying to obtain some meaningless college degree to try and impress someone when I already have a better vocabulary and reading and writing skills than most college graduates I know (we hired a college grad one time that couldnt wear two of the same color socks to work, was dumb as a stump, and lasted maybe a month in training before he quit) ... ahhhhh, BUT he had a college DEGREE, you see.

Anyway, I'd like to see everyone adopt this attitude and everyone ask to be transferred out of these silly specialty units all at once. They'll probably have to abolish them anyway soon due to the tax cuts! If you folks adopt this attitude your career just might last longer and you just might maintain your health and sanity alot longer. Although I'm sure some of you may label me a malcontent ... that's okay. We'll see who's happy and healthy and retired OUT of this place in the end and who's popping the high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds and going to the doctors twice a month.

Hugs and Ki$$es all ...

08-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Well said Dep-u-teee..more people should have that attitude. I also don't give a $hit whos doing who, doens't involve me, I don't care! Your right also on the college thing....book smarts is not going to save your a$$ on the streets, you need street smarts for that, but hey they have a piece of paper that says they have a degree...woohoo. Everyone is overloaded right now due to so many shortages, do what you can do and go home, end of day! Stay safe everyone!

08-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Dep-u-TEE, I like your attitude. I have two yrs under my belt in L.E. and from the stuff that I have seen on the job, I definitely will not let this effect me in the long run. I see some people (rookies) on the job now that take things so personal. When I see that, I am like why....... Anyways, I have a family and when I am off, I am off :!: I work off duty here and there just if I want to by something or get out of town with the wife.

However, reference the college degree and to the other guest that was talking about it. I do think that it's important in life to get one or some type of degree/certificate. My reasoning behind that is this, what if something happens and your forced to retire or changed jobs for that matter. Lets say you just decide to get out of L.E. period and you want to be a desk jockey now and lets say this desk jockey position is a good $$$$$$$$$$$ paying job, but you need that degree, whether it be in basket weaving or computers...you get the picture? My point is this even if you not going to use it, brother position your self for success in the future. You never know what's going to happen later in life and beyond retirement. If your not going to do anything after retirement, cool...but most people I talk to do go into anther profession after they retire. My Sgt. is always telling me "think outside the box, you know what you have been trained on, but think outside the box, reposition your self and set your self up for success." Bro, I don't want to be a Sgt. all I want to do is become a Master Patrolman, retire and move on. But I love your attitude, just trying to get you to think outside the box though. Stay safe....I am probably going to print out what you said and give it to some of the guys on my squad.

10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I have over 10 years in and I have one of those talked about college degrees. I am still on the road and doing it. The military paid for mine, so I only sacrificed my personal time. It's a business management degree and I got it so that I have something to fall back on if I have to leave LE.

I don't ever plan on being in management in the LE arena. But, in another career I might want to be one. I didn't get a college degree for anyone but me. I have common sense and I am work hard.

It's not about doing it for "them", it benefits the individual.

I don't run others down that don't have degrees and I don't like feeling I am being run down because I do....

10-08-2007, 09:16 PM
To the above post, maybe if you cary a sign for the Kings relection you might get promoted. LOL !!!

10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Retiree (fireee),

Maybe if your reading comprehension skills were a little more polished you would have noticed in my OP that I stated I had no intention of being in management in a L.E.O.

I think you need to check your medical plan and make that bifocal purchase you've been agonizing over....

Don't hate.

10-17-2007, 12:32 AM
In violation of what? Never saw any "directive" saying you/we get paid for court.

quote="Anonymous"]You might want to remind you supervisor that court time IS overtime (that would be code 1 on your time-sheet). Court and call-out is paid... bottom line, it is paid. They need to recheck their directives and if they are not paying your for court then they are in violation.[/quote]

10-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Where have you been? It's common knowledge we get paid for call-out and court. Has always been that way.

10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
i think its law,not policy

10-23-2007, 04:26 AM
I dont even give a $hit anymore ... LOL ... I get there when I get there and I do what I can to the best of my ability and I refuse to let this bull$hit stress me out or affect my home life or off time. I have a life AWAY from the PCSO and interests that have NOTHING to do with law enforcement and I rarely associate in my off time with anyone from work. I try to take care of myself, eat right, and exercise. My gut doesnt hang over my freakin' gun belt. I dont have to answer to the Chief or Major for the upswing in crime numbers or procap or all the calls pending or this suspect and that complaint or this one. I usually only work 12 days a month with off time and for Polk County I make good money. I dont have a case load hanging over my head 24/7 or victims calling me all day pi$$ing and moaning about their cases and when I go 10-87 it's DONE until the next time I sign on, period. My schedule never changes and I can PLAN events and activities far in advance and it will NOT change or get interrupted at the last minute by some captain's or major's silly idea of how to take a "bite out of crime" requiring a change in MY schedule! I dont get involved in the drama of who's doing who's wife or husband (or both) and who's ki$$ing the most a$$ trying to get promoted or trying to get transferred here or there. I dont go into debt trying to obtain some meaningless college degree to try and impress someone when I already have a better vocabulary and reading and writing skills than most college graduates I know (we hired a college grad one time that couldnt wear two of the same color socks to work, was dumb as a stump, and lasted maybe a month in training before he quit) ... ahhhhh, BUT he had a college DEGREE, you see.

Anyway, I'd like to see everyone adopt this attitude and everyone ask to be transferred out of these silly specialty units all at once. They'll probably have to abolish them anyway soon due to the tax cuts! If you folks adopt this attitude your career just might last longer and you just might maintain your health and sanity alot longer. Although I'm sure some of you may label me a malcontent ... that's okay. We'll see who's happy and healthy and retired OUT of this place in the end and who's popping the high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds and going to the doctors twice a month.

Hugs and Ki$$es all ...

Great Post brother. I was surfing a few local sites and found your post refreshing. I work for Hillsborough and with the way things are there now, I will tatoo your post to my forehead before the place pushes me to high blood pressure. You all take care. ............Sincerely a brother to the West.