PDA

View Full Version : BSO Chapter of PBA or just more representation

07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
As a PBA Rep I am really interested in knowing what the majority of BSO would really like, Their own PBA chapter or just more representation?
At the last meeting the reps decided to have 8 at large members and a voted on rep from each district......this was discussed and worked out without giving the reps a chance to go back and talk to the members they represent and find out what the majority really wants......
what do you think? :?:

07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
The current reps are really the problem. They are bought and paid for by the president. We really need our own charter. This way, if we elect our own executive board, we have nothing to complain about. It seems like the right thing to do. Hollywood has their own charter.

07-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I dont think Hollywod has their own charter, and what do you mean the current reps are bought and paid for? Open the lines of communication with your current reps and work it out. Honestly, I dont think there is anything that will make some of you guys happy.

07-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I dont think Hollywod has their own charter, and what do you mean the current reps are bought and paid for? Open the lines of communication with your current reps and work it out. Honestly, I dont think there is anything that will make some of you guys happy.

Let me tell you something. The reps DON'T listen to us. They listen to Mr. Brickman and Mr. Hanrahan! That's the damn problem in the first place. The enxt thing to do is get rid of them and form our own charter. Yes, Hollywood does have their own charter.

07-23-2007, 01:45 AM
PBA rep, First let me applaud your effort to have some real dialogue on this site. I believe that the members feel slighted; first we work for an administration that may find themselves on the other side of the Law. Second most feel that the Broward PBA throws it’s members to the wolves, sure they may hire an attorney for the big cases, but they disregard the concerns of the grunts, you know the minor little things (the broken windows) where they tell you “oh it’s just one day off” or “overtime is a privilege not a right” or “take the transfer, change is good”. Sometimes these little things mean a lot to that person. We do need our own lodge, we are too big to be run by people outside of our ranks, who’s going to care more. But most important, we need reps who can’t be intimidated by the Administration. It’s really going to be hard for one of us to sit at the negotiation table across from the bosses and say no that’s unacceptable, without thinking in the back of their mind “what are they going to do to me for that”.
I don’t have all of the answers, but I know we need change. Morale is in the gutter; they are promoting rookies when people with twenty years on are overlooked. New cars are given to the flavor of the day instead of the most mileage. Why aren’t we able to bid on the district we want. Why do Deputies just out of the academy go to the cushy districts, while vets work year after year in the S@#$ hole districts. Why is there no job protection for specialized units, Oh yeah Brickman said that “because there is no test to get in” that’s cleaver. I guess a person who learns there new job, puts an enormous effort into the position, gets excellent evals over several years, doesn’t deserve to be protected. The point is we have serious problems and we need serious people to handle them. Thanks for your time, and I hope this intelligent dialogue will continue.

07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
I think the PBA needs to be more aggressive overall with the issues here at BSO. Read Hollywoods contract everything is spelled out. I was very impressed.

07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
PBA rep, First let me applaud your effort to have some real dialogue on this site. I believe that the members feel slighted; first we work for an administration that may find themselves on the other side of the Law. Second most feel that the Broward PBA throws it’s members to the wolves, sure they may hire an attorney for the big cases, but they disregard the concerns of the grunts, you know the minor little things (the broken windows) where they tell you “oh it’s just one day off” or “overtime is a privilege not a right” or “take the transfer, change is good”. Sometimes these little things mean a lot to that person. We do need our own lodge, we are too big to be run by people outside of our ranks, who’s going to care more. But most important, we need reps who can’t be intimidated by the Administration. It’s really going to be hard for one of us to sit at the negotiation table across from the bosses and say no that’s unacceptable, without thinking in the back of their mind “what are they going to do to me for that”.
I don’t have all of the answers, but I know we need change. Morale is in the gutter; they are promoting rookies when people with twenty years on are overlooked. New cars are given to the flavor of the day instead of the most mileage. Why aren’t we able to bid on the district we want. Why do Deputies just out of the academy go to the cushy districts, while vets work year after year in the S@#$ hole districts. Why is there no job protection for specialized units, Oh yeah Brickman said that “because there is no test to get in” that’s cleaver. I guess a person who learns there new job, puts an enormous effort into the position, gets excellent evals over several years, doesn’t deserve to be protected. The point is we have serious problems and we need serious people to handle them. Thanks for your time, and I hope this intelligent dialogue will continue.

Yes, I also believe we need our own chapter. I've always thought that there was no way Brickman would push for anybody under the PBA to get a better contract than his Hollywood. But there lies the problem. When Navarro was here, we were our own FOP lodge. And exactly that. If the lodge president pushed too far for us, they'd find themselves transferred to a unpleasent assignment. Maybe we could find a decent executive board from our retired friends. I find it strange that most of the articles of the contract are agreed upon with little or no argument. Most of them have been fine for the past several contracts. Let's put fairness into being selected for units / promotion. Lets give veteran Deputies extra points towards promotion, etc.. Make senority shift assignment and days off selection the policy in all districts. New cars based on milage. (I had an '88 Diplomat with over 130,000 once). Once little things like these and others are addressed, I know morale would jump. :cop:

07-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I guest we agree all administrations can be vindictive. I feel that the only real answer is having our own strong union, this can be done, we just need to stop the backstabbing and stick together. We need to establish a strong Green and White Line that can’t be broken. Man if we have that, we could demand professionalism, do real law enforcement work and eliminate micro management.

07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
As a PBA Rep I am really interested in knowing what the majority of BSO would really like, Their own PBA chapter or just more representation?
At the last meeting the reps decided to have 8 at large members and a voted on rep from each district......this was discussed and worked out without giving the reps a chance to go back and talk to the members they represent and find out what the majority really wants......
what do you think? :?:

09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Is having our own chapter the answer? Hollywood does not have there own chapter they are with the pba like BSO. If we have our own chapter and our president is pressured will he fold? I don't believe the pba cares if we have our own chapter or not..what do we think is best for us? can we stick together ?

09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
If you really are a PBA rep then please take the time to read the PBA constitution !!! Under the constitution of the PBA, we can not break away from the Broward county PBA and have a 100% seperate union from the PBA. Even if it were allowed under the constitution, you would still ultimately report back to brickman and company since they are higher on the food chain. Let me ask you this ? If we replaced the entire executive board (pres, vp, sec, tres) then had fair board member elections and replaced the PBA with our own chapter, Isn't that what IUPA is ? A new union which is seperate and has fair elections ?????

09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I guest we agree all administrations can be vindictive. I feel that the only real answer is having our own strong union, this can be done, we just need to stop the backstabbing and stick together. We need to establish a strong Green and White Line that can’t be broken. Man if we have that, we could demand professionalism, do real law enforcement work and eliminate micro management. I always chuckle when I hear or read " real police work?" can you define that for me? Does that mean you don't answer calls for service, becaus e that isn't real police work? or do you do nothing but arrest bad guys because that is real police work. Either way, 99% of the folk on this blog wouldn't know how to do real police work if they had directions, a flashlight and two hands. And Micro management? What is that, someone responsible for your actions wants it done a certain way. Hey, smart guy, take a sgt test, and keep taking them until you pass, and then keep taking them until they promote you. Be part of the solution, but don't insult me and think we don't do real police work. Now go take your 10-40 and complain to the fat waitress and tell her how they screwed you.....

09-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I always chuckle when I hear or read " real police work?" can you define that for me? Does that mean you don't answer calls for service, becaus e that isn't real police work? or do you do nothing but arrest bad guys because that is real police work. Either way, 99% of the folk on this blog wouldn't know how to do real police work if they had directions, a flashlight and two hands. And Micro management? What is that, someone responsible for your actions wants it done a certain way. Hey, smart guy, take a sgt test, and keep taking them until you pass, and then keep taking them until they promote you. Be part of the solution, but don't insult me and think we don't do real police work. Now go take your 10-40 and complain to the fat waitress and tell her how they screwed you.....

The best definition I can give you for real police work is to simply use common sense.

Collecting shopping carts, sitting on asinine operational plans, pulling 77 cases for broken windows and other ultra liability sensitive approaches to law enforcement are nothing but smoke and mirrors for the public that will never produce substantial results.

09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
[quote="4000 CCN":29fu84h2]I guest we agree all administrations can be vindictive. I feel that the only real answer is having our own strong union, this can be done, we just need to stop the backstabbing and stick together. We need to establish a strong Green and White Line that can’t be broken. Man if we have that, we could demand professionalism, do real law enforcement work and eliminate micro management. I always chuckle when I hear or read " real police work?" can you define that for me? Does that mean you don't answer calls for service, becaus e that isn't real police work? or do you do nothing but arrest bad guys because that is real police work. Either way, 99% of the folk on this blog wouldn't know how to do real police work if they had directions, a flashlight and two hands. And Micro management? What is that, someone responsible for your actions wants it done a certain way. Hey, smart guy, take a sgt test, and keep taking them until you pass, and then keep taking them until they promote you. Be part of the solution, but don't insult me and think we don't do real police work. Now go take your 10-40 and complain to the fat waitress and tell her how they screwed you.....[/quote:29fu84h2]

Most deputies wouldn't know how to do police work if they had directions, a flashlight, and two hands?
Reading some of these posts, it seems that most deputies here couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel.

09-18-2007, 11:53 PM
[quote="4000 CCN":39vfs5x0]I guest we agree all administrations can be vindictive. I feel that the only real answer is having our own strong union, this can be done, we just need to stop the backstabbing and stick together. We need to establish a strong Green and White Line that can’t be broken. Man if we have that, we could demand professionalism, do real law enforcement work and eliminate micro management. I always chuckle when I hear or read " real police work?" can you define that for me? Does that mean you don't answer calls for service, becaus e that isn't real police work? or do you do nothing but arrest bad guys because that is real police work. Either way, 99% of the folk on this blog wouldn't know how to do real police work if they had directions, a flashlight and two hands. And Micro management? What is that, someone responsible for your actions wants it done a certain way. Hey, smart guy, take a sgt test, and keep taking them until you pass, and then keep taking them until they promote you. Be part of the solution, but don't insult me and think we don't do real police work. Now go take your 10-40 and complain to the fat waitress and tell her how they screwed you.....

Most deputies wouldn't know how to do police work if they had directions, a flashlight, and two hands?
Reading some of these posts, it seems that most deputies here couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel.[/quote:39vfs5x0]

Well said.....most rookies need to head back to the Academy and learn how to be a real cop.....not a whiner who thinks the world owes him a living. None of them could survive in a real job in the outside world.

09-19-2007, 04:53 AM
The answer is simple we are to large an agency to be sharing resouces with 8 other agencies. Our union dues produce over a million dollars a year and that money deserves to be spent on us. Right now Brickman is the only person who has say on where that money goes to, things like a $70,000 a year salary for him and a $16,000 a year vehicle allowance for Barbara Duffy, and that new meeting hall which no one knows how much that cost, are not things the BSO membership would ever approve their money to be spent on. You add in the shady elections and complete lack of ability to elect your Executive Board members shows me the PBA is beyond fixing, its IUPA or nothing.

09-19-2007, 02:57 PM
If you really are a PBA rep then please take the time to read the PBA constitution !!! Under the constitution of the PBA, we can not break away from the Broward county PBA and have a 100% seperate union from the PBA. Even if it were allowed under the constitution, you would still ultimately report back to brickman and company since they are higher on the food chain. Let me ask you this ? If we replaced the entire executive board (pres, vp, sec, tres) then had fair board member elections and replaced the PBA with our own chapter, Isn't that what IUPA is ? A new union which is seperate and has fair elections ?????

09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
The answer is simple we are to large an agency to be sharing resouces with 8 other agencies. Our union dues produce over a million dollars a year and that money deserves to be spent on us. Right now Brickman is the only person who has say on where that money goes to, things like a $70,000 a year salary for him and a $16,000 a year vehicle allowance for Barbara Duffy, and that new meeting hall which no one knows how much that cost, are not things the BSO membership would ever approve their money to be spent on. You add in the shady elections and complete lack of ability to elect your Executive Board members shows me the PBA is beyond fixing, its IUPA or nothing.

09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe you dont make $70,000, but President Brickman makes a Hollywood Patromans top salary. Read the bylaws and whats even more amazing no one questions the fact that Barbara Duffy probably the most useless attorney in any PBA History gets a $16,000 vehicle allowance and no one finds that odd. Wake up people, its time for change!!!! IUPA

09-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Plus they used our money to go to the old Hollywood Chiefs funeral when their city(Hollywood) wouldn't pay. Pay your own way cheepskates!

02-29-2008, 03:58 AM
bump