PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living increase v. new contract

07-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Front page of the 7-19-07 Sun-Sentinel revealed that for the two month period of May & June ('07) the cost of living in our area increased by 4.4%. In March & April the increase was 3.5%. Rumor has it that our new contract will include a 5/5/5 raise. If these increases continue (compounding each two month period) we'll continue to be severely underpaid. :(

I know you can't get blood from a rock. What about the option of a one year contract, until this property tax mess is hopefully straightened out :?: :?

07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
I tend to disagree. I think we should go for the three year, 5-5-5, now, because who knows how the tax issued is going to effect the county's budget the next couple years. A year or two from now we could be sitting in the same boat!

07-20-2007, 02:15 AM
the percents they are talking about 4.4 is actually for 12 months fool 4.4 x12 is over 50 %

07-20-2007, 12:49 PM
We can always go down. Lets keep the name calling for the sandbox. I say 8x8x8, and that is not enough for carrying a GUN.

07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
the percents they are talking about 4.4 is actually for 12 months fool 4.4 x12 is over 50 %

:o Well, If you had bothered to have read the story, you would have seen that the 4.4% increase (May & June) was an increase over the same period as last year. It also listed the March / April increase was 3.5%. I'm not a math wiz but If you take the actual cost of living as a starting point (let's say what it was in February) and keep adding the percentage points for each two month period, it will compound to be well over your 50% answer. Here is the link to the story so you can read it again.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 3341.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flzcpi0719nbjul19,0,2833341.story)

I guess in addition to reading the story, you should also read the thread posted here about Courtesy. Why is it that we want & expect respect from the public, when we can't even show respect to ourselves. What's up with the "fool" comment? If I'm mistaken, show me. I don't believe any of us are perfect. You should also read the NYPD and LAPD Blogging thread. The author of the thread makes some good points. :|

02-29-2008, 03:49 AM
bumpinkski