PDA

View Full Version : 160 hour cycle MUST GO!

07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Is there anyone else out there that questions the fact that FDLE is one of the only State LE agencies still utilizing the 160 hour work cycle for thier LEOs? They are not paying overtime anyway, so why not go to a 40 hour workweek like everyone else? I am sick of working weekends away from my family only to be sent home on Wednesday because they won't pay. If they want me to make sacrifices for the good of the Department, should they do the same? What happened to "Respect" and "Integrity" as two of our fundemental values? Do they exist when FDLE consistantly takes advantage of our work cycle to save money?

07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I agree 100%, it is up to the union to step up and take care of this issue. FHP is on a 40 hour cycle. At the very least give us a comp bank and pay the time at time and a half.

07-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey, you aren't allowed to complain about that here! "Soongone" says that we can only complain about our step-plan, nothing else.

07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
You may want to read my post again. I think the 160 thing is a valid issue. It kinda goes along with the whole pay problems.

Sorry if I hit a nerve on the blue light topic!

07-19-2007, 10:27 PM
No prob. You just keep us informed on what we are allowed to talk about on here and we'll try to keep in line.

07-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Beverage uses the 28day/160 hour pay period. No comp. No overtime, which amounts to a steel toed boot on the throat of the working man...at least we aren't suffering alone for once.

07-20-2007, 01:27 AM
No offense to ABT, and other state LEO's, but FDLE requirements are high and they try to recruit the best LEO's in Florida, unfortunately the state does not pay Agents well. Now you have no chance to be hired without a 4 year degree, no matter how much experience in investigations. Road patrol officers and deputies are making more than agents, that is not right.

07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
No offense to ABT, and other state LEO's, but FDLE requirements are high and they try to recruit the best LEO's in Florida, unfortunately the state does not pay Agents well. Now you have no chance to be hired without a 4 year degree, no matter how much experience in investigations. Road patrol officers and deputies are making more than agents, that is not right.

WHO THE F*%$ DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?! We haven't been able to hire the "best LEO'S in Florida" for some time!! If I was another state LEO I'd take a whole bunch of offense at your high and mighty tone, there buddy. We do just enough bumbling around to keep our reputation with local agencies in the basement. You've never referred to our local partners as "the real police?" The tone of your message shows your lack of experience, maturity, or both.

07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
First off I probably have more experience than you. You may need to take an anger management class buddy! I was refering to the high standards that FDLE wants, but is not paying for it. I know a lot of officers who want to come work here with a ton of experience, but do not have a 4 year degree. I was a patrol officer for years, so don't go there. like I do not know what it's like! You are obviously hostile and unhappy.

07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
It seems the Agents that started as civilian, analyst, and in house hires are the ones that ***** the most! 160 hours? what does it matter; 160, 80, 40..you’d be upset for some other reason. I’ve worked as a C.O., a City Officer, a Deputy and as a Agent. By far the best job I’ve had is the Agent position. If you’re so unhappy, Agencies in Miami-Dade hire everyday, with higher starting pay, and off duty details. Why not go there and eat the grass on the other side of the fence.

07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Hey "no offense"
I took no offense to your comments. I am somewhat suprised, however. ABT has lost many good agents to DLE. I would say all have done quite well with DLE. We will always lose agents to other agencies able to pay more. DLE is able to attract a "better" quality applicant because of the money difference. I would say a degree doesn't necessarily make a better agent/officer, but it does give an applicant four years to grow and mature. I have carried a badge for thirty years, have a couple degrees and many friends with DLE - who knows, you may be one of them. WE all share the same problems, and I can say that law enforcement folks are never adequately compensated for the work they do.

07-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Well said, I agree. We're all in the same boat. Let't just try to get the people who make the decisions to see it that way. Stay Safe.

07-21-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm one of those agents that started out as an analyst and you won't hear many complaints here. As with any job, it has it's ups and downs but I think I have the best job in law enforcement. The money I make is just fine with me and while I would welcome a 40 hour work week, Garcia isn't really a problem in my office (one of them north of Tampa). Overtime is pretty much unlimited here, so long as it's reimbursed. I do miss the step-plan but have mixed emotions on it. I am one of those that believes that raises should not be automatic, but earned. That's the problem with step-plans; those that deserve raises get them but so do a lot of dead wood that don't even come close to earning it. But I guess there is no perfect system. I do sometimes fantasize though about what I would be making had they not taken the step plan. I've been an agent for going on 20 years and only got 1 or 2.

Also, I highly doubt that there are any patrol deputies/officers that make what I make in my area. To equal my salary around here you'd have to be a long-time Lt. or a Captain. Maybe in Miami they might, but I'll take my salary not to have to live and raise a family in that hellhole any day.

Just my random 2 cents worth.

ABTNEWGUY
08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
First off I probably have more experience than you. You may need to take an anger management class buddy! I was refering to the high standards that FDLE wants, but is not paying for it. I know a lot of officers who want to come work here with a ton of experience, but do not have a 4 year degree. I was a patrol officer for years, so don't go there. like I do not know what it's like! You are obviously hostile and unhappy.

What are you complaining about? At least you are making more than an ABT agent, please do not say it is because your are superior. I have a degree and almost 10 years as a cop. We work 160 hours a month, with no overtime, if there is a time when you go over 160 hours, you have to take FLSA comp time and it must be used by the middle and the end of the year.

Simple solution would be, if you are not happy, go work somewhere else. You have it better than most, maybe not as good as some.

For the record I think 160 hours sucks !!!

08-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey ABT new guy stick to your own message board. We really don't care about your opinion.

08-12-2007, 11:47 PM
That is a good professional attitude. It is obvious from your comment you are not FDLE either. Try and remember this - It is better to let people think you are a fool then to open your mouth and relieve all doubt. I can't take credit for the saying but it certainly applies here.

08-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Hey ABT new guy stick to your own message board. We really don't care about your opinion.

Wow, way to go Stupid ! You wonder why people think FDLE is antiquated? Answers like that, he was just pointing out that FDLE is not the only agency in the state that works 160 hour pay period a month. He was probably reading our board because he wants to join FDLE and was looking for answers. I swear some people shouldn't be cops...

12-14-2007, 05:43 AM
Its amazing how the anonymity of a message board can degenerate a useful forum into a worthless cesspool.

FDLE Agents: protect your message board. Ours has gone to the toilet. I would advise you to go to the ABT board and look at how childish and foolish it has become. It has degenerated into a forum for sniping, backstabbing, bashing, and belittling anyone for anything.

Please don't let yours get that way. Every agency has its ups and downs while many have more of one than the other; but some of us still look to FDLE as a model agency.

You guys are sooo right: "Some people just shouldn't be cops..."

12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Can someone please clarify the 160 hour work cycle for me? Are you paid bi-monthly (like the 1st and 15th), every 2 weeks, monthly etc? I appreciate any input.

Grumpy SA
12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
We are paid every two weeks, which means twice a year there are three pay dates in a month.

02-04-2008, 05:32 PM

You are an angry punk kid not an Agent. Get lost!

02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
How does the 160 hour work week work?

Grumpy SA
02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
In a 28 day period, you have to put in 160 hours. Most average it to four 40 hour work weeks, but some squads, (violent crime, etc.), work long days. If OT is reimbursible and OK'd, you get OT for everything over 160. If no OT, you stop working at 160 hours. You can, however, flex your time off in the middle of your 28 day cycle for a great deal of flexibility.

02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Thank you sir

02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Apparently there is a petition going around statewide for the FDLE AA to get rid of the 160 hour cycle for a forty hour workweek. The word coming out of the PBA (Hal Johnson) is that if the agents want to get off the 160 hour cycle, it CAN HAPPEN! According to Johnson, the matter would be brougt up to DMS who has already granted numerous other State LE agencies requests to be taken off the 160. This list includes FHP, DOT, FWC, etc.

It may not mean that we are going to get more overtime, but it will damn sure gurantee that we will not get taken advantage of but working us hard for three weeks and sending us home. And if they send me home on a wednesday or a thursday because I am up on hours, so be it, I'll take Friday as a sick day and make it a five day weekend!

It is a start - not a guarantee. I would suggest everyone who is fed up sign it, if for nothing else - to show that we are fed up and can come together if pushed ot the wall. I am trying to determine how many signatures they have exactly, but last I heard it was well over 150. Anybody have any other info??

02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree it is a positive step, In addition an SA does not have to worry about holidays or annual leave if OT is there and approved. And if you work OT on a Thursday it's too late to be sent home early. There are more pros than cons and we need to goto a 40 hour cycle

02-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't think everyone knows about this petition.....is the FDLEAA putting out word on this? If not, they should....

02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I just spoke with one of the guys who has a copy of the form. They way he explained it was that originally, the topic came up at a PBA meeting in September or October of last year. At that time, or shortly after, the PBA sent out survey sheets for the members to list thier top 5 priorities for the new PBA board to consider. Unfortunatley out of 200+/- members, they only got about 50 or 60 back. At that time they decided that the 40 hour workweek was not important to the agents (due to a lack of reponse). There are some PBA members who said that they never got the survey to begin with - I think that is a major issue with the FDLE AA right now - there is very little communication with the agents unless you pick up the phone and call a rep or board member. Hopefully, with agents taking it upon themselves to get this done, the PBA will come up with a way to communicate better with it's members. In addition, the agent said that they wanted to include all agents, not just PBA members, because it affects all the agents, not just PBA members.

A recent email to a PBA board member asked about the status of the 40 hour workweek. The response was that Hal Johnson stated that because other State LE had it, we MAY BE ABLE TO GET IT get it too. The PBA board member said that if there was renewed interest, they would pursue it. A few guys decided to put together the petition to gauge current interest - that way, if support was there they could present the signatures to the PBA as proof that the Agents ARE INTERESTED and tell them to GO GET IT! From the sound of things, the response has been overwhelming and even though some agents have not even heard about the petition, there already is a majority of signatures.

If you havent seen a form, ask around your region, I guarantee SOMEONE there has it or can get it. I was told the field offices in particular were nearly 100% participation - so call some one in your regional FO and ask them. I signed it and the page I signed was almost full - they can always print more of them!

02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I am not for the 40 hour week! This is going to back fire! just because MROC wants something doesn't mean it should be shoved down everbody else's throats.

The pro and cons need to be addressed. The con are you're going to burn a great deal of leave to take off, you're still going to be sent home when you hit 40 hrs. This will not work!

02-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I am an MROC agent and I am not for the 40 hr week. With Friday being the start of our week, you could work all weekend and be sent home after work on Tuesday. At least with the 160 you can get a weekend in. I know that a lot of people want the 40, I would think a compromise would be a 80. That at least gives you a chance to make time up if you need to.

02-22-2008, 02:59 AM
I am an MROC agent and I am not for the 40 hr week. With Friday being the start of our week, you could work all weekend and be sent home after work on Tuesday. At least with the 160 you can get a weekend in. I know that a lot of people want the 40, I would think a compromise would be a 80. That at least gives you a chance to make time up if you need to.

How you like the Racino work?

02-22-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure if everyone knows that the 160 is not the only legal monthly pay process. 160 falls under fair labor while Garcia rules allow for a 170. You're paid stright time for 170, then you're sent home or given comp at time and a half.

DOT and FHP are paid OT based on 40, but most of their OT is grant $. Also part of the contract for those agencies are written that if funds are not there for OT they convert back to the 160.

I love my job, I knew what the pay was, I knew about the 160, I even remember back under Chiles when no state employee got raises for what 4 or 5 years (may not have been that long but it seems that way)? BUT I have freedom, and I'm treated like an adult {except for the new gas Mastercards:( }!

The union needs to present all of the facts before a decision is made about the 40. The 80 sounds okay but the 40 SUCKS!

02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I am for the 40 hour work week. we are gonna get sent home anyway, whether it is for the last tuesday, wednesday, thursday of the cycle, or one day a week. I like the fact that I can work four tens if I need to. I like the fact that if I get called out at the end of my work week, they will have to pay me or find someone else. I like the fact that I will use more of my leave time instead of losing it to sick leave at the end of the year, which will only get paid out at pennies on the dollar. I like the fact that the agents will have more control over when they work instead of the dept. I like the fact that when the superbowl comes next year, they will have to schedule me on forty hours or pay me. I like the fact that if they send me home on Thursday, I can take a sick day friday and have a four day weekend - and if I take another day Monday, a five day weekend. I like the fact that if they send me home, it will only disrupt my investigation for a day or so, not a week or more.

I agree we need to discuss the pros and cons. I just don't see many cons. Since this has never been done here, I don't see how people can tell me whats gonna happen. I say we try it, if it sucks, I am sure FDLE would be more than happy to go back to a 160 (or an 80). Why not give it a shot and see how it goes?

02-22-2008, 09:39 PM
AMEN! Anything is better than where we are now!

02-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Disband the whole damn agency, give the money to the sheriff's offices and save the tax payers a boatload of money. You guys would be better off working for the local sheriff's office. At least you could work like real cops.

02-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Didn't make it past the screening I guess.

02-24-2008, 03:36 AM
who except a idiot would say

"Disband the whole darn agency, give the money to the sheriff's offices and save the tax payers a boatload of money. You guys would be better off working for the local sheriff's office. At least you could work like real cops."

40 or Bust
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I just got a copy of the FDLEAA newsletter "The Voice". I have to say, once again, the PBA is failing to communicate with it's members. In particular, the article regarding the 40 hour workweek. The article is SUPPOSED address the pros AND cons. I don't know about you, but all I read were CONS.

Hey Al - what about the PROS???

Well since you don't want to talk about them, I think I will post it here since you say in your article that you read this forum. Let me be upfront and tell you I AM FOR THE 40 HOUR WORKWEEK AND I SIGNED THE FORM.

1. How about the fact that FDLE won't be able to work me 160 hours in three weeks (or less) and send me home?

2. Why didn't you discuss the fact that if I am at forty hours on Wednesday, and there is a shooting or some other kind of event requiring my response, FDLE will have to pay me or find someone else.

3. Why didn't you address the effect the 160 hour cycle has on our annual/sick leave? - ie, we can only carry a balance of 360 hours of annual leave per year. If we constantly are making up the time we take off, we aren't using our annual leave. Then what happens - your balance over 360 is automatically transferred to sick leave. Now if you have a balance of, let say, 1900 hours of sick leave, you will only get paid for what? 420 hours is it? So unless you take off 237 DAYS of sick leave in your last year, you are losing time and once again the State benefits by pocketing that money. That doesn't even address the fact that you can't take more than 2 days of sick in a row without a doctor's note, so now you couple that 237 days with the fact that you have to take a day of annual every third day. So that would be another 80 days or so of annual leave, meaning you would need to take just about your last year off to get your moneys worth.

4. How about the LONG TERM possibilities with a move to a 40 hour workweek? You address the fact that other agencies have obtained grants to HELP fund their overtime. *Note I say HELP FUND, these agencies have requested increases in thier OT budgets for years in addition to getting grants. When was the last time FDLE has requested an increase in their OT budget? (they won't even ask to increase their OT authority, which is the main issue with the reimbursable overtime). Isn't is possible that a forty hour workweek MAY push that issue and pursuade FDLE management to increase thier OT budget request and authority?

5. What about requesting OT? Don't you think it would be easier to get approved for 5 hours of OT in a given week, vs. asking for 20 at the end of your cycle?

6. Lets forget about OT - say FDLE shuts down OT again. Now you know you are working 40 hours EVERY week. Whether it is 5-8's, or 4-10's, you do your 40 and go home. I can better plan my personal life with that schedule.

Now let me address some of your CONS:

First off, I would like to know how you know about all the cons? Has FDLE ever been on a 40 hour work week since you have been here? How can you post CONS regarding something that has NEVER BEEN DONE AT FDLE. What is the harm in TRYING SOMETHING NEW? FDLE tried an 80 hour cycle many years ago, and THE AGENTS back then did not like it, so they reverted to the 160. Can't we try a 40 hour workweek and see how it goes? If the agents HATE IT, wouldn't FDLE let us go back.

1. FDLE would have to flex agents each week (see #6 above)

2. You say FDLE lacks a recurring overtime source. DO you think FDLE will go after one if we stay on a 160 hour cycle? Of course not, they don't have to and they havent had to for years. what about all the salary dollars in our budget that is not spent? Think about how many vacancies there are - where is that money?

3. You write that uniformed agencies "have regularly recurring overtime available from grants, trust funds, and federal programs, which provides a funding source". THAT IS UNTRUE. I just spoke with a Trooper who is assigned to the road (not a TF) and he is one of thier PBA reps. He refuted your statements when I read it to him over the phone. He told me (quote) "FHP HAS NO GRANTS THAT FUND OVERTIME, THEY ARE PAID DIRECTLY FROM FHP'S LEGISLATIVE OVERTIME BUDGET AND ARE BEING PAID FOR ANY HOURS OVER 40". He then added "you guys need to get into the 21st century", which I totally agree with.

4. You say that since most agents "are not working regular assignments with available overtime reimbursement" therefore it precludes them from making OT. Is it easier or harder to make OT on a forty hour workweek? (See #2 above) If you go over 40 hours, THEY HAVE TO PAY YOU. They will not have the luxury of sending you home.

5. You say that the "proposed solution" could lead to a loss of flexibility? Flexibility for who - FDLE or the individual agent?

6. You say that the "proposed solution" could lead to scheduled work shifts? REALLY? Do you honestly think FDLE could actually go to shifts? How would that work Al? An FDLE midnight shift? I think not. In addition, I would hope that IF FDLE tried, the PBA would be all over it and fight for OT for any hours worked OUTSIDE OF YOUR SCHEDULED SHIFT. Which would include a 3 hour minimum, I would hope..That is a road that FDLE would not go down.

7. We keep hearing from the PBA that there is a clause in other state agency contracts that they can revert to the 160 hour cycle. The Trooper / PBA rep I spoke to confirmed the existence of the ""Memorandum of Agreement". The Trooper stated that the MOA was written in order to avoid having to constantly address the issue during contract negotiations. He also stated that they have never reverted back to the 160 hour cycle. Has any other agency gone back to the 160 hour cycle after going to the 40 hour workweek? Would FDLE want to be the first agency to do so, since it would be viewed as managment's inability to manage thier people/budget?

Public Records Request
I hope that the FDLEAA will communicate better with it's members from here on out - As I write this, I see that the last update on the FDLEAA website was in 2005. I also hope you share your findings from the request. This IS about the members, and any input may help us all in the long run.

I would also encourage FDLE agents who read this to talk to some of thier contacts with other state agencies. I am finding out that is the only way to get the truth about this issue. Apparently our AA is not doing so, and that is why there are so many untrue statements and misconceptions on this issue. This includes the fact that FDLEAA board members have said that other agencies "are not happy with the 40 hour week". The Trooper/PBA rep refuted this statement as well and said "You will not find a trooper in this state that is not happy with the 40 hour week". SO who is the FDLEAA speaking with?

The next time an article is written, I would hope that they look at both sides. I truly hope that people read between the lines on this article, The way it reads to me is that the FDLEAA board DOES NOT WANT THIS. Since most of the board elects for FLSA, the reason is obvious. I hope we get a majority of signatures, and if we do I hope the PBA does the right thing.

03-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Excellent points and I agree 100% the pros totally out weigh the cons. It is a no brainer to me and everyone I speak with about it. I heard we need to ask for anything but $$$, Well that's all that really matters, all of the other stuff is really bs except for the 40 hour work week. Don't forget about the holidays that we accrue "special comp" at straight time" woohoo and you will hear Agents thinking this is a good deal. Look around at other agencies the state and we are missing the boat on a lot of issues.

03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry you didn't think the article fairly looked at both sides of the issue.

You probably missed it because you are so angry about this issue but the point the article was making is that the state is within the law not to change to a 40 hr workweek and that the change will not guarantee you more money.

You obviously missed the part about our obligation to present the results of the survey to FDLE on behalf of members and the fact that we plan to propose whatever our member's desire.

I don't know how you read between the lines and think most of the board takes FLSA and that we are against the proposal.

Further, with regards to public records requests, you miss the point that this whole issue has come up because of a perceived or real disparity in the way overtime is handled (7 FDLE's) and we as a board wants to get to the bottom of it with FDLE and base our discussions on FACTS. We also want to look at what overtime funding sources are available to FDLE.

We plan to see what the surveys and records request reveal and act accordingly. You may find yourself in the majority and we may find some unspent overtime money in which case FDLE would be hard pressed not to make the change to a 40 hour workweek.

Yes, I know the agent's board has not had a post in years in part because it requires registration and the likes and you do not have the anonymous posts like on this board. Chris Rigoni, a new board member has volunteered to bring our Agents Association board back to life and maintain it.

I share the opinion that FDLE "needs to get with the 21st century" and most of us on the board do not have a habit of keeping our mouths shut about it. We have learned over time that ranting and raving without having the facts is not particularly effective.

Anyway I appreciate your comments BUT it may surprise you that not everyone agrees with your position on this issue.

03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
PBA sucks anyway....give me the 40!

03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Then go to FHP goofy. Or work with the PBA and try to effect change instead of crying about it.

40 or Bust
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry you didn't think the article fairly looked at both sides of the issue.

You probably missed it because you are so angry about this issue but the point the article was making is that the state is within the law not to change to a 40 hr workweek and that the change will not guarantee you more money. I thought the point of the article was to present both sides? Not tell us that the State can say no or that we won't get anymore $?
You obviously missed the part about our obligation to present the results of the survey to FDLE on behalf of members and the fact that we plan to propose whatever our member's desire.

I don't know how you read between the lines and think most of the board takes FLSA and that we are against the proposal. I know at least 3 Board members elect for FLSA. Why not tell us who is FLSA and who isn't - that will put that matter to bed. How about you?
Further, with regards to public records requests, you miss the point that this whole issue has come up because of a perceived or real disparity in the way overtime is handled (7 FDLE's) and we as a board wants to get to the bottom of it with FDLE and base our discussions on FACTS. We also want to look at what overtime funding sources are available to FDLE.

We plan to see what the surveys and records request reveal and act accordingly. You may find yourself in the majority and we may find some unspent overtime money in which case FDLE would be hard pressed not to make the change to a 40 hour workweek. Good to hear - now thats a PRO that should have been in your article!

Yes, I know the agent's board has not had a post in years in part because it requires registration and the likes and you do not have the anonymous posts like on this board. Chris Rigoni, a new board member has volunteered to bring our Agents Association board back to life and maintain it. Good to hear, also there may be some PBA Members who have experience with websites, maybe you can request some additional assistance to keep it up and current??

I share the opinion that FDLE "needs to get with the 21st century" and most of us on the board do not have a habit of keeping our mouths shut about it. We have learned over time that ranting and raving without having the facts is not particularly effective.

Anyway I appreciate your comments BUT it may surprise you that not everyone agrees with your position on this issue.

40 or Bust
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry for that reply, I tried to make my comments come up in red, which obviously didn't work. The comments are there, just imbedded in the quote from Al.

Second, I forgot to add one point. I never once thought that a 40 hour work week was going to be some kind of windfall for agents because of more OT. I have been around long enough to know that our OT budget is our OT budget - bottom line. My main issue is they way FDLE uses the 160 to THIER advantage, regardless of the consequences to the agents.

If you are one who never gets taken advantage of by FDLE and the 160, stand by that day WILL come.

SPECIAL NOTE TO TBROC: The Superbowl is coming your way, get ready to get *&%$ed! I suggest looking ahead at where you will be in your cycle and try to get up on hours very early in your cycle, otherwise plan for a very long week to 10 days. Ask an MROC agent..

03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Then go to FHP goofy. Or work with the PBA and try to effect change instead of crying about it.

Your so smart...Must be one of them college only edumacated Agents

03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
[quote="listening"]Then go to FHP goofy. Or work with the PBA and try to effect change instead of crying about it.[/quote

The only way we (State LEO's as a whole) are gonna get change is when we start picketing in front of the Capital and start embarrasing the Legislators. That's they only time they listen...it sure isn't when PBA is pressing the flesh with them in chambers!

And about FHP...we're gonna have our turn in the barrel just like they got through with....and we (FDLE) are probably gonna have a tougher time justifying our existence, other than our labs....we'll have to hold on for that wild ride!

We all need to be incorporated/merged into a State Public Safety Agency

03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
For those that are interested - here are the current stats for the survey as of 5pm today.

Total signatures = 173
PBA Members - 131
Non Members - 42

We have not collected all the forms and expect that number to rise as some regions, and a few stragglers com in. Surprisingly, there is a large number of people who are scared to sign the form for fear of retribution, maybe if they know how many have already signed, they will reconsider.

If you would like to sign it and have not been able to, place a post and I will direct you to a secure email off the FDLE network. Then I will get you a form, or direct you to someone in your region that has it.

03-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey Lima unit, we cant even finish what we start here, we have more intiatives with no mission its embarassing. We aren't qualified to run a state police outfit.

03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Didn't say WE should run it.....just be incorporated into it.....

03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
You know with COPs, there are certain ones that will ***** and complain no matter what. You can get the 40 and I'm sure those *****ers and grippers will not be happy! Give them OT and it won't be enough! I know because I once was among your numbers, and I know how it effects new officers/agents, and easily lead officers/agents. Instead of jumping on the PBA why don't you (you know who I'm talking to) get you butts on the board and spend you B & C time there!

You know why FDLE doesn't listen? Look at FHP, FWC, and DOC they show up in Tall. in numbers!! Do you? NO!!!

Instead of jumping on each other, what we need to do is put our money together hire an Ad agency and go after those jerks like Marco Rubio where it hurts them IN THE MEDIA!! You know he wants to be Governor, start hitting him in the A^%, and we'll get raises.

Al, can we (the Union) raise additional money to do something statewide, or least in the areas where we are not supported? I know some Agents have asked for a list of those who support us like Al Lawson, and a list of those who don’t. If they turned their backs on us, put Ads on the local channels telling people how Rubio doesn’t care if you’re safe on the interstate, or fishing and hunting, or there’s no one to look at corruption, or assist local agencies with homicides or sex offenders!!!!

I would rather get the step plan back then get a 40! I have children and would rather work without OT so I can spend time with them!! So come on our little negative champions plant the poison, and keep fighting each other, Tallahassee loves it!

03-12-2008, 12:34 AM

ABT is no different than anyone else looking and posting to this message board. If you remember this message board is open to anyone, other LEO's, the public and even the guy you put in jail last week and all his friends. So get over yourself, everyone else has.

03-17-2008, 09:41 AM
The Department of Finance, Division of Fraud still uses the 160 hour cycle.

05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
I only got to page 2 and got tired of reading. I personally love the 160 hour cycle and for some simple reasons. I know there will be no raise or overtime approved for a long time if ever. Overtime at ABT is like blasphemy. So, with this 160 hr cycle I can essentially work a little extra one week and adjust off the next. I have been with ABT for a good while now and love the fact that I have rarely used any leave time. I guess it is my little way of sticking it to the man so to say. Besides, if I want to take a nice week vacation I can do so without using much or any leave time Keep in mind most ABT offices are not bound by schedules and with the work we do in clubs, bars, etc. we have to be very flexible. You guys at DLE have an awesome job too and I look forward to coming over some day like my bud LP. You guys got a good one from us there and I hope to join too. I tell you something else, the flexibility of our 160 cycle makes working the 208s easier. The state pisses me off like most other but I do try to find a little positive in this sh-t storm. Everyone be safe out there.

05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Amen brother!