PDA

View Full Version : schedules

07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
what is the deal with the schedules. i understand specialty units are volunteer but some sort or regular schedule would be nice. the bosses are obsessed with the numbers. this means the line guys are getting shafted.

07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
We are all getting shafted. The speciality units (minus Echo) are getting shafted because they have to do their jobs along with helping/assisting Echo units with the quick rise in crime (due to summer and population boom)

The patrol units are getting shafted because they are having to make up for the lack thereof, of speciality units being allowed to do their function.

If we all just toughen it out, hopefully come August, this will straighten itself out and everyone can go back to normality for the time being until elections go into full boom.

07-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Better get use to it the polk county for you POPE judd

07-15-2007, 05:44 PM

huh???

07-16-2007, 06:49 AM

??? lost me

07-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Retiree seems to be English-challenged.

07-21-2007, 03:31 AM
lmao !! sorry that looks like one of the calls we get dispatched to! he must have came from the same hooked on phonics seminar!

07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
You guys laugh, but see what happens in the end !!

08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
We are all getting shafted. The speciality units (minus Echo) are getting shafted because they have to do their jobs along with helping/assisting Echo units with the quick rise in crime (due to summer and population boom)

The patrol units are getting shafted because they are having to make up for the lack thereof, of speciality units being allowed to do their function.

If we all just toughen it out, hopefully come August, this will straighten itself out and everyone can go back to normality for the time being until elections go into full boom.

The echo units are getting shafted just as much as everyone, I hate to tell you bud. A change of schedule at a moments notice that screws up every plan you had with your family for the next god knows how long and forget about any other plans as well. And if you think it is so easy to go back to patrol if they "don't like it" as I'm sure some will say. Remember, the spiteful attitude of some supervisors and ask yourself, if the current situation is bad how can they make it worse. Because that is exactly what they will strive to do. At least traffic gets to rotate people out from time to time so that their normal duties won't be affected. By the way what was the other part of your argument.... Oh yeah that's right, I think I just resolved that. And as for patrol, there has never been anyone except echo working with night shift zone units. Unless they are on call or a special assignment, I think you'd struggle to find an Ag or other
detective out at 0300. So patrol units that don't have the luxury of available specialty assistance have always found ways to get things done. And if need be, there is someone on call that can come handle your situation that has become too big for you. Bottom line, it's sucks for everyone and you don't deserve or have the right to make light of anyones situation if your not in their shoes.

If staff gave a $hit about anyone they would first, not unreasonably F**k with people's schedules and perhaps they would take some opinions about how to address crime trends from people who have found a way to make it work. Because in case you missed it, there are certain areas that are getting spanked and others that are not. Obviously some are doing something right and others are... well??? I haven't met anyone who works one of these "strike force" teams who isn't still waiting for a clearly defined direction in which to make a Pro-active Community Attack on anything. In fact, there isn't anything proactive about this approach at all. It has become entirely reactive, based on perceived crime trends on the mapper, which is a great tool, but only a tool. If you jerk these units around from here to there and elsewhere, you have taken away the main purpose for there inception. Which is to stay in an area, identify suspects and commence to kick A**.

But they don't want to know anyones opinion. We work in a system of fedualism where there are the haves and the ones who have it up the A** whenever the breeze blows a different direction. They come up with these fantastic idea of the moment, knee jerk reactions that have no basis in reality or rational thought. Arm chair m-f 9-5 warriors find it easy to wreak havoc on the low man on the totem pole. Because, to put it simply, the ones who make this $hit up aren't the ones who have to do it. The Japanese (among others) have it right; happy people are productive people. A fact worthy of note when addressing something wherein you actually want certain results. Oh yeah, and fear is not a good motivator. To begin with, why does everyone seem to think that sending a deputy back to patrol is punishment? last time I checked you don't get a damn thing extra for being in a specialty unit. Also, if you read some of these other posts you will see that there are plenty of those that are perfectly content to toil away their hours on-duty in obscurity and without affecting the first damn bit of change.

A specialty unit is not place to hide if you don't want to get noticed. For those of you who want to "do your eight and hit the gate" (11.5... whatever), your part of the problem and need to re-evaluate why you got in to this profession, because we don't need you.

08-07-2007, 02:31 AM
well those of you that cant get to a specialty unit probably screwed up somewhere down the line during your two year career and no one wants you.

for those of you that are in specialty units with two years on the job.... good job.. you have sucessfully accompllished nothing. you left patrol where you should be laying a foundation for your future.

PCSO is famous for this.

thanks for the high turnover...

08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey, "Guest" from the post above two posts before this one ... what is your point?

08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
To the guest with your dissertation, I have to reply. I believe you working the west side because the traffic unit on the east side is completely on either the Poinciana task force or the Four Corners Strike force. Warrants and the Papa Units are also stuck with this four corners PD and Poinciana PD. I heard a few of them grumbling today about their schedules changing around again for the 4th time in as many months. Poinciana PD keeps having their schedules rearranged.

As for the Echo units, I have no pity on them with their schedules. When they signed up for the position, they knew that they were at the beckoning call of the GCU type calls and that their hours would be erratic. Yes, they have a family life, but thats part of their unit. Papa units also have that knowledge that their work hours are focused around the crime trends that are occurring in their communities. Thats if they can and not being pulled off to do something else.

As for the traffic units and warrants units, their positions were flexible but pretty much set. Days or nights doing their function unless on call for a traffic fatality, which I prefer not to work. I hate working anything more then a driver's exchange, but hey, Ill do it, thats what I do on patrol.

Why do we even have a traffic unit, COPS or Warrants, if they cant do what they are designed to do. I think they are more upset that they are TDYd indefinate then just being told, okay you are now Poinciana or Four Corners PD.

Low morale is at an all time low for ANY department. Not many people I hear are very happy, but they understand that not everything is always perfect and they do the best they can.

You sit there and hit on patrol because if its "above them' or as you put it "So patrol units that don't have the luxury of available specialty assistance have always found ways to get things done. And if need be, there is someone on call that can come handle your situation that has become too big for you" thats a wrong statement. We have detectives and Investigators to place more time and energy into a case to follow up then a patrol unit does for they assist in a variety of calls.

I do not knock on any unit, each are in existence, if used properly, to work together and get everything done.

I think we should have a survey done in our agency like bartow and haines City are doing. Maybe someone will wake up and realize somethings not working.

But you are right in one aspect, unhappy people are unproductive people.