PDA

View Full Version : ex major

07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Was Ex-Major Jim Ewing highly thought of?

07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
define highly

07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
well thought of good supervisor?

07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
you mean Capt. Ewing. A company man all the way. Well respected and liked

07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
you mean Capt. Ewing. A company man all the way. Well respected and liked
by who or whom?

Delta 5
07-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Was Ex-Major Jim Ewing highly thought of?

I'm sure most of the older officers who worked with and for Jim Ewing would love to answer this question--with many colorful words and phrases involved. I can say with 100% certainty that the words "loved" and "respected" would more than likely not be included. I'm sure you all get the drift.

I'm also going to remind the officers who read/respond to such "soft-ball" questions about current employees, that Jim Ewing is currently Officer Jim Ewing, a member of our reserves. (I'm sure most have no idea this is true, because nobody has ever seen him actually work since his employment in this position.)

Lastly, we all know that it is a violation of general orders to call somebody a name they do not like and/or/otherwise make fun of them. So I recommend you keep your feelings to yourself.

This is purely a public service announcement.

Victor 1 :D [/u]

07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Victor 1 Based on the fact that he is considered a reserve officer fo the town of Davie, if a crime was committed in his presence in your city do any of your rules and regulations require him to take an action as any other police officer would have to? I know per State Statute he must but are you aware of any rules and regulations that govern him the one and only reserve officer for the town of Davie?

Delta 5
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Victor 1 Based on the fact that he is considered a reserve officer fo the town of Davie, if a crime was committed in his presence in your city do any of your rules and regulations require him to take an action as any other police officer would have to? I know per State Statute he must but are you aware of any rules and regulations that govern him the one and only reserve officer for the town of Davie?

I wish I had the answer to that question. I would have to research that and get back to you. I know that Sergeant Nasta is working feverishly to update our G.O.'s in order to be in compliance with the Accreditation process (another topic for another day), I'm sure he would know the answer to that question if you know how to contact him.

You would think that common sense would prevail here and the answer would be a resounding "yes!" However, let's not confuse common sense with common practice at our Police Department. I know that I won't. Also, you would think he would want to take action if a crime was committed in his presence.

By the way, Officer James Ewing is not the ONLY reserve officer employed by Davie PD. There are a few others as well. Amazing enough, I haven't seen them in a zone either.....weird.

07-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Victor 1 As far as you know he is still considered a sworn certified police officer which under Florida State Statute he would be required to take an action if a crime was committed in his presence. I just want to make sure he is considered a sworn certified officer for your city.

07-17-2007, 08:39 PM

I wish I had the answer to that question. I would have to research that and get back to you. I know that Sergeant Nasta is working feverishly to update our G.O.'s in order to be in compliance with the Accreditation process (another topic for another day), I'm sure he would know the answer to that question if you know how to contact him.

You would think that common sense would prevail here and the answer would be a resounding "yes!" However, let's not confuse common sense with common practice at our Police Department. I know that I won't. Also, you would think he would want to take action if a crime was committed in his presence.

By the way, Officer James Ewing is not the ONLY reserve officer employed by Davie PD. There are a few others as well. Amazing enough, I haven't seen them in a zone either.....weird.

Road Patrol is not the only function that a reserve can function in. Back in the turn of the century when reserves fell under my supervision I had to document their time. It could be researching and/or composing a general order, writing a grant, etc

07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks J.E. :P

Delta 5
07-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Road Patrol is not the only function that a reserve can function in. Back in the turn of the century when reserves fell under my supervision I had to document their time. It could be researching and/or composing a general order, writing a grant, etc[/quote]

I'd like to address this from two view points:

1) I'm sure that during "fat-times" this is a welcome practice. You know, when everything is warm and fuzzy, and they are not taking officers out of every specialized unit in order to supplement the overwhelming need on road patrol to fill zones with officers (who are not being paid overtime). I'm sure that having a reserve officer sit in an office and do...well....office work is a great way to manage the reserves during "those times." We are obviously not in "those times." I'd like to see the reserves earn their keep, and push a car around for a shift.

2) I welcome, no...I dare our police department to actually produce documentation that proves any of our reserves have: written a general order, a grant, or have done any research that is desperately needed so badly that they are denied the tremendous opportunity to work a zone for one shift.

I'd certainly love to see this documentation, and I'd love to see the reserves in action as they slave away researching and writing in that phantom office somewhere.

You're welcome, JE :D

07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Victor 1, Was J.E. in chage of the reserves while he was a captain in Davie, as I see he has now joined this forum. I would like to meet with u and pass on some information that u might be interested in thanks Victor 1 for sheding some light on the notorious J.E.

Delta 5
07-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Victor 1, Was J.E. in chage of the reserves while he was a captain in Davie, as I see he has now joined this forum. I would like to meet with u and pass on some information that u might be interested in thanks Victor 1 for sheding some light on the notorious J.E.

I'm not sure what J.E. was in charge of while here at Davie (I will reserve my personal feelings on this). If he was in charge of the reserves, I was not aware of it.

If you have any information that you would like to share with me my door is always open. If you are not a fellow employee at Davie PD, you can reach me at the Police Department: 954/693-8200, and ask for Sergeant Horvitz's extension, and leave me your number on my voice mail.

"notorious"??? Interesting choice of words.

07-19-2007, 04:46 AM
One Sgt gets on here and says how he doesnt trust a new guy. Another gets on here and says how he doesnt like a retired guy.

When was the last time you had a smelly drunk puking in your back seat? When did you last handle and write 3 BS CPIS reports in one day? When were you last stuck on a prisoner detail at the hospital for medical clearance?

Quit whining. No one wants to hear what you think of people. You only make yourselves look bad.

Enjoy your overtime writing tickets on Stirling Road. Enjoy your overtime growing your goatee & driving around in your unmarked car with dark tinted windows. You guys have it so rough.

Maybe if you said hello or acknowledged some of your subordinates as they walked by you while you were engaged in a hallway conversation with anyone your rank or higher you would be liked more. This place is loaded with nothing but two faces. Keep kissing ass and telling us what you don't like about people.

07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
When was the last time you had a smelly drunk puking in your back seat? When did you last handle and write 3 BS CPIS reports in one day? When were you last stuck on a prisoner detail at the hospital for medical clearance?

Quit whining. No one wants to hear what you think of people. You only make yourselves look bad.

Enjoy your overtime writing tickets on Stirling Road. Enjoy your overtime growing your goatee & driving around in your unmarked car with dark tinted windows. You guys have it so rough..

Good post, but you forgot to add that they cant do the above if theyre too busy working out (on duty) then taking showers (on duty) while bravo shift handles calls. This really helps the morale problem.

07-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Is he still considered a certified law enforcement officer for the town of Davie?

07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Davie observer, very well said.

I must point out that you forgot to mention the fact that the entire unit of so called "detectives" still needs to drain the already short road patrol to sit on a house for a warrant. What exactly is wrong with them doing their own job? Instead of intentionaly making it more difficult for the road officers that they ignore. How about the rookie of their unit (or they take turns) gets a freakin pool car with a cage for their transports? Who always end up dumping it on rp at 1900 on a friday.... Don't worry guys, our zone partners appreaciate it. We are supposed to work together...

Way to go, smiling so proudly that you pulled over someone with a warrant when you are already getting OT out the A$$. Now someone else on straight time has to work even harder and faster. They have to leave their zone and write YOUR PC. How about handcuffing, sitting them on the ground, writing your own damn PC and THEN call? :x Anyone ever think of that.... Everyone always forgets where they came from.

07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
[quote="Anonymous"]Is he still considered a certified law enforcement officer for the town of Davie?[/quote

Yes

07-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Yes, Reserve Officer J.E. does fall under F.S.S. 839.24

07-20-2007, 11:52 AM
No one seems to know why they are still reserves if they dont work the required 10 hours. Also, it appears that its only available to those chosen few.

07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
:( maybe you are not asking the right people

Delta 5
07-20-2007, 06:18 PM
:( maybe you are not asking the right people

I couldn't agree with you more. Perhaps "they" need to inquire with the right person. Perhaps the Chief? Professional Standards?

The law was written with the intent to give the police departments of this state permission to implement a "Police Officer Reserve" program. Unfortunately, it's my understanding, that the way the program is run (i.e. who gets to do what in order to keep their badges and guns) is at the discretion of the Chief of Police or his designee.

I think that the public should certainly inquire about this management of resources, during a tight budget year.

Please see Sgt. Moore's Town Council Update.

Sgt. Jamie Horvitz

07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks Victor 1 for your insight. It has helped clear up a few issues. The Public is aware of these postings.

07-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Road Patrol is not the only function that a reserve can function in. Back in the turn of the century when reserves fell under my supervision I had to document their time. It could be researching and/or composing a general order, writing a grant, etc

I'd like to address this from two view points:

1) I'm sure that during "fat-times" this is a welcome practice. You know, when everything is warm and fuzzy, and they are not taking officers out of every specialized unit in order to supplement the overwhelming need on road patrol to fill zones with officers (who are not being paid overtime). I'm sure that having a reserve officer sit in an office and do...well....office work is a great way to manage the reserves during "those times." We are obviously not in "those times." I'd like to see the reserves earn their keep, and push a car around for a shift.

2) I welcome, no...I dare our police department to actually produce documentation that proves any of our reserves have: written a general order, a grant, or have done any research that is desperately needed so badly that they are denied the tremendous opportunity to work a zone for one shift.

I'd certainly love to see this documentation, and I'd love to see the reserves in action as they slave away researching and writing in that phantom office somewhere.

You're welcome, JE :D[/quote]

I can't speak for what the practice is now, however I did keep records of date, time, & activity. As a sidebar, at one time we had a traffic detail at St Bernadette on Sunday mornings. We could not get a full-time officer to cover it, so they were going to use FHP or BSO. One of my reserves stepped in and took the detail. In less than a month there were complaints that the reserves were takining money out of officer's pockets. Whine, then complain will never go away.

07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Retdvpd did they have arrest powers back then, when you were in charge or were they in an office writting G.O's. Did they ever go through any kind of training? I am sure you have documentation of this also. The public will soon find out.

07-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Who cares!! Do you think 2 reserves are going to slove the problems you think are real? Think about it, do you really want :D :D :D our reserves out there? I would agree I feel for C.A. he had a great job, he will be back soon enough. Just think, when the 12 hr or 8 hr shift begin all can go back to siu and sro. just a thought :) :) :D :D :) :D :)

07-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Retdvpd did they have arrest powers back then, when you were in charge or were they in an office writting G.O's. Did they ever go through any kind of training? I am sure you have documentation of this also. The public will soon find out.

Reserves had full arrest powers and could function on their own; auxilliaries had to work under direct supervision of an officer. Some of the reserves were retired LEOs, and some eventally became full-time LEOs (Wes Griffin was a reserve while he was working @ School Board till a full time cop job became available). Both Wes and Larry Marrero, who developed leukemia and died about two years after becoming full-time, worked the road as reserves. The reserves completed all the State required training, while aux's completed a shorted academy. The now-deceased Western High Athletic Director wanted a female officer working the football details, so a female reserve was the one who worked because our full-time females did not want to work the games. Our first Training Officer was a retired FHP, till our dept outgrew the number of hours that he wanted to work. The ones that had the academic background to write grants, G.O's, etc still worked the road a little (i.e. someone who got his PhD hile working for Metro-Dade PD)

07-21-2007, 04:05 PM
wow i heard we are losing the takehomes out of broward and we are going to 8 hours on the road and 12s in the db cop???

07-21-2007, 04:37 PM
As long as J.E. is a Reserve Officer, you cant go wrong. The notorious J.E. that is.

07-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Enjoy your overtime writing tickets on Stirling Road. Enjoy your overtime growing your goatee & driving around in your unmarked car with dark tinted windows. You guys have it so rough..

Good post, but you forgot to add that they cant do the above if theyre too busy working out (on duty) then taking showers (on duty) while bravo shift handles calls. This really helps the morale problem.

Fellow bravo leo, you can also work out on duty just get approval from the chief and you can also write tickets on stirling road so you will be 10-6 so you can be a bum and not help out a cop. Also, morale is so low now, wait until we lose the take homes or when we go to 12's, 13s,.19s etc. We cant get a day off now on days because of a suprvisr .Wait until we have more sgts than cops boyyyyyy.

07-22-2007, 01:13 AM
I think you need to bring back J.E. as the new Chief, then things will get better and morale will surely improve. He is a true leader, and highly respected. Just ask Victor 1.

07-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe J.E. could run for Sheriff?

07-27-2007, 12:06 AM
never mind he's not a captian no more but just an officer (reserve that is) or believes he is)

07-28-2007, 05:20 PM
J.E. SINCE YOU ARE A RESERVE WE NEED SOMEONE TO DIRECT TRAFFIC AT GRIFFIN ROAD AND UNIVERSITY DRIVE - NEVER MIND YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET OUT OF YOUR CAR