PDA

View Full Version : Out of state leo - which departments have the best benefits?

DCtoSouthFL
07-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Hello all! I'd like to get some imput from experienced officers in the South Florida area. I have three years of experience as a police officer in DC and I'm looking to relocate to the area. Which departments are best with regards to benefits and quality of life issues. I also have a college degree so I would meet all the requirements from such departments like Coral Springs. Your imput would be very valuable to me. Thanks.

07-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello all! I'd like to get some imput from experienced officers in the South Florida area. I have three years of experience as a police officer in DC and I'm looking to relocate to the area. Which departments are best with regards to benefits and quality of life issues. I also have a college degree so I would meet all the requirements from such departments like Coral Springs. Your imput would be very valuable to me. Thanks.

Don't come here, this place sucks

07-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Most departments down here are on a hiring freeze due to state mandated property tax roll backs. Morale here is low. Our top pay is near 64K but that is on the low end for this county (however we reach top pay quicker than most and we are in the final months of a contract). We have a good, strong health insurance and they actually have increased our benefits over the last couple of years without raising our contributions. We all get take home cars when we are done with out FTO, but most of us do not get laptops right away so you have to run things the old fashioned way on the radio.

07-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Sunrise just won the best contract in the county. The department will probably be the new Coral Springs. The sheriff's department is always a safe bet. Rough time to be looking though, big time statewide budget cutting. If you're looking for a place with $ and little street crime no place in S. Fl is safe. You get gangs in the nice areas too. The murder rate has skyrocteted. I wouldn't raise a family here unless you got the bucks for Weston or Wellington. But if you're single, good place to make a buck. Lots of guys are trying to get on at Palm Beach Sheriff's but they have a freeze. You can work in West.Palm and live north where it's still kind of normal.

07-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Sunrise just won the best contract in the county. The department will probably be the new Coral Springs. The sheriff's department is always a safe bet. Rough time to be looking though, big time statewide budget cutting. If you're looking for a place with $ and little street crime no place in S. Fl is safe. You get gangs in the nice areas too. The murder rate has skyrocteted. I wouldn't raise a family here unless you got the bucks for Weston or Wellington. But if you're single, good place to make a buck. Lots of guys are trying to get on at Palm Beach Sheriff's but they have a freeze. You can work in West.Palm and live north where it's still kind of normal.

PBSO is nice and my neighbor who is a higher up there said the Sheriff just came back from Tallahassee and got more money than expected. The Sheriff said their contract will be honored and there will be no lay offs. They are also getting a 55 million technology increase. They are still in a hiring freeze as is much of South Florida. I'm not sure how things are in Fort Lauderdale, but they use to be kick a** and take names. BSO is good and will hopefully get better when King Jenne gets indicted. There are a lot of good places to work, but like someone else said the times are bad.

07-24-2007, 03:48 AM
AOME AND APPLY TO CORAL SPRINGS PD. GOOD EQUIPMENT, WORKING CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS. A COLA OF 2.5, THOUGH NOT AS GOOD AS A 4.1 FOR FRS DEPTS IN THE AREA BUT ITS A START