PDA

View Full Version : Standby/ on-call time in the Jail

07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
On-Call Time

If you are required to stay on your employer's premises while waiting for a work assignment, your employer must pay you for that time, even if you don't spend it actually performing job tasks.

In addition, if you must be on call elsewhere, your employer must pay you for hours over which you have little or no control and which you cannot use for your own enjoyment or benefit. (sleep) In other words, if your employer places significant restrictions on you when you are on call, then you are entitled to pay, especially if you get called into work fairly often. For example, if you must remain close to the workplace, call to see if your needed, cannot drink alcohol, and are called into work several times during each on-call shift, you are probably entitled to compensation for all of your on-call hours.

Each time you squad is blue and your "on-call" federal law requires you to be paid if significant restrictions are placed on you. So when you call in at 4am to see if you needed, they must pay you the two hour minimum

check the Florida and federal labor laws

07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
If this is true, how does they get away with this? I like the 12 hour shifts however, I don't like waking the whole house up at 4am while I stumble around the talking on the phone to some jerk-off supervisor to see what low life asshole called in again. MY DAY OFF IS MY DAY OFF!

07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
If this is true, how do they get away with this? I like the 12 hour shifts however, I don't like waking the whole house up at 4am while I stumble around talking on the phone to some jerk-off supervisor to see what low life asshole called in again. MY DAY OFF IS MY DAY OFF!

07-06-2007, 04:19 AM
If this is true, how do they get away with this?

Get with your FOP reps for the jail. There is no contract so nothing can be done unless you want to file a federal lawsuit.

07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
This is what I was advised to do by my legal council. He said to document the time and refuse to call in on my days off. He advised me to put the time on my time sheet if I actually do call in and when they write me up for not calling while on standby or refuse to pay, we have a lawsuit.

07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
tried to tell you rookies the 12 hr shift blows but you wouldnt listen. f-ck anyone who voted it in.