PDA

View Full Version : Employment info

06-30-2007, 05:40 AM
I am trying to find out some information about the SO. I'm a police officer in GA but I want to move back to Florida. I am hearing a lot of talks about layoffs and hiring freezes. Is PCSO under a hiring a freeze? One of the recruiters I spoke with in the area suggested I check with PCSO.

Is this a good agency to work for? I can see there are some concerns from reading some of the blogs on this site. Are the problems facing the dept. something that can be worked out in the future?

Please don't use this as a chance just to bash this agency, or say the Sheriff sucks. I appreciate your responses.

06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Agency can be good, administration is horrible and has placed us in a precarious position of being tremendously understaffed. Had not asked for increase in manpower for four years, and now wants to blame county commission.

Hiring freeze? We cannot get enough people. Good news for you is it is easier than ever to get hired since the administration keeps lowering hiring standards.

07-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Not true.

We have added at least 30 - 40 new law enforcement deputy positions in the last three years. More were requested, but several were cut last year.

Standards have not been lowered.

I believe almost all of our certified law enforcement positions we got in this year's budget are full, so you had better hurry if you are interested, if have a positive attitude and if you are willing to get certified in Florida. Good luck!

This will give you more information:

http://www.pascosheriff.com/websmart/Pa ... nities.htm (http://www.pascosheriff.com/websmart/Pasco/static/Career%20Opportunities.htm)

The negative posts appear to be politically motivated. Almost all Pasco deputies have a positive attitude and appreciate the fact they can protect and serve their community.

Here is what the Sheriff has asked for over the last three years. He received everything he asked for in 2004 and 2005. Last year the 98 positions were cut to 50 something:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/acc ... more+staff (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/645391331.html?dids=645391331:645391331&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+2%2C+2004&author=STEVE+THOMPSON&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1&desc=Sheriff+says+fast-growing+county+needs+more+staff)

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/acc ... 49+workers (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/848270201.html?dids=848270201:848270201&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+2%2C+2005&author=STEVE+THOMPSON&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1&desc=Sheriff%27s+Wish+list%3A+%2474-million%2C+49+workers)

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/acc ... udget+hike (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/1046777381.html?dids=1046777381:1046777381&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+2%2C+2006&author=ByTHOMAS+LAKETimes+Staff+Writer&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1&desc=Sheriff+seeks+19%25+budget+hike)

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/acc ... 9+NEW+JOBS (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/1281073111.html?dids=1281073111:1281073111&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+2%2C+2007&author=THOMAS+LAKE&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1&desc=SHERIFF+ASKS+FOR+FUNDS+FOR+109+NEW+JOBS)

07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Great Post. We have always asked for more staffing. Maybe the orher post should do there home work and stop telling lies to individuals who want jobs.

07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
[quote="Anonymous"]Not true.

We have added at least 30 - 40 new law enforcement deputy positions in the last three years. More were requested, but several were cut last year.

False! Check last years rosters county wide and check them now! Just because the AGENCY has more certified positions does not mean they are in law enforcing roles. Many positions have went elsewhere while patrol has suffered. While you are at it, check the number bw bashed cannon about back in 1999 during his campaign of "truth." In 8 years, patrol has grown by about 8-10 total deputies. You can not count slots that were once patrol and then moved elsewhere. He still counts them because they drive a marked unit, but that is wrong since they do not handle calls on a daily basis. He also took patrol slots and created a new unfunded sgt and unfunded cpl position which also took from patrol. But, he can do what he wishes for his supporters. This is FACT because I have the st pete times artical with his quotes and I have the old rosters.

Standards have not been lowered.

It is just the quality of candidates we have when hiring 10 or more at a pop are substantially reduced to the bottom of the barrell. Out of several people hired in the last year, I have seen at least 5 who couldn't write a simple sentence. A couple have made arrests for misdemeanor crimes where the criminal elements were not present and the crime was not even a warrantless exception. The agency was not sued because a couple alert sgts and cpls caught the mistakes and corrected them. But this is what happens when you lie and make people believe there is a waiting list 125 deep for deputies jobs when there really isn't. As good a friend to bw as Corely is, he admitted it was a little fudged after the fact. GREAT QUALITY!

I believe almost all of our certified law enforcement positions we got in this year's budget are full, so you had better hurry if you are interested, if have a positive attitude and if you are willing to get certified in Florida. Good luck!

This will give you more information:

http://www.pascosheriff.com/websmart/Pa ... nities.htm (http://www.pascosheriff.com/websmart/Pasco/static/Career%20Opportunities.htm)

The negative posts appear to be politically motivated. Almost all Pasco deputies have a positive attitude and appreciate the fact they can protect and serve their community.

You are correct. His politics are very bad and the sleeping giant has been awaken. The gini is out of the bottle. Pandora's box is open. You just can not tell enough lies to reverse things when that happens. A body must fight dirty rotten liars with the same zeal while telling truths. Keep reading, I will expose one of your fuzzy "truths" in a minute.

Here is what the Sheriff has asked for over the last three years. He received everything he asked for in 2004 and 2005. Last year the 98 positions were cut to 50 something:

LIE! You like to post articles, but mislead the reader. I was at the final 2006 budget meeting and they gave us 45 positions the sheriff could do what he wanted with NOT 50 SOMETHING LIKE YOU CLAIM YOU LIAR! http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/20/Pasco ... y_ba.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/20/Pasco/Sheriff_s_strategy_ba.shtml) <<< Check the report! Instead of immediately setting out to hire qualified candidates, he held off and is now hiring some rookies who will not be effective until after the 2008 budget. What happened with the money. Also, not all 45 positions are for deputies. (Including detention deputies who are as bad off as the road). He hired civilians with some of that 45. ALSO, the 2008 budget request had the sheriff claim 39 of the positions were added to this years after being cut from last years. 45 plus 39 only comes out to 84. 18 shy from what was really cut from last year. Suddenly the 18 needed last year are no longer needed? Or is he trying to play with the county commission like they wont notice the difference and cut less. At least the next sheriff will be able to do simple arithmetic.

I REMOVED THE POSTED LINKS BECAUSE YOU SPREAD THE PAGE OUT VERY BADLY.

07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Dam you people are gonna make ousting beer goggles bobby easy. Even if Alvin made him stay in the office and only read from a prepared script, I don't think he will overcome the foolishness. He trys to appear humble like GW Bush and it only looks stupid.

When he screws up on a traffic stop, or says dumb things in the paper, it makes ALL deputies at the office look bad.

07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
posted by Guest
"The negative posts appear to be politically motivated. Almost all Pasco deputies have a positive attitude and appreciate the fact they can protect and serve their community. "

HOLY CRAP WHERE DO YOU WORK??????? Take an hour or two to step out of your office and WORK THE ROAD FOR A DAY OR TWO and you will see that statement is completely false.

richard simmons
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
the sad thing is i dont even work for Pasco and i know how bad it is there. It has always seemed that no matter who you guys get in as a sheriff...... they get second term syndrom, and then he plays nothing but politics and has no care in the world for his guys(deputies)! The Pasco S.O. has always had too much politicians in their administration. Maybe Pasco needs less ass kissers and more cops. At the end of the day the politicians dont get the job done, its the grunts out on the street. May all the Pasco deputies and sgt. stay safe on the road, running from call to call with no back-up.

07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I need to first point out to everyone that I am a deputy working for Pasco County. I am not in the administration and I am not in anyone's pocket. I have been here for several years and I've worked both sides of this county. Lastly, I have no axe to grind with anyone, so let me try to help GA cop.

Pasco county is a good place to live and work. We are close to most everything that you'd want for your family. Just be sure to pick the right part of the county, because we do have some ghettos.

The Sheriff's Office is a good place to work. Currently, we have some major issues to resolve, but on the whole it's not too bad. It could be worse and it may get worse, who knows? We get paid pretty well and our benefits are on par with most other agencies. At times, our insurance can be rough, but for the past few years it has been tolerable. We do not enjoy GAP coverage, at the current time, but we are hoping to one day get it. Either from our current Sheriff, or the next one. I don't get too involved in the politics, but I'd expect a change in the administration. Contrary to what an earlier poster said, most of the deputies are NOT happy out here. We are a good bunch of guys and girls, but we have our bad eggs. Just like every workplace in the entire country. So, disregard what you hear from people spreading propaganda. The moral in this department is VERY LOW and it's no secret. Those who deny it are just trying to sugar coat reality. But that's not to say it can't improve. When this Sheriff took office, things were good. He did make some changes and our agency did improve. However, the old saying "Absolute power corrupts ABSOLUTELY" could never be more evident than it is now.

One of the biggest problems we have is the lack of manpower. We need more people to do the job, that's the bottom line. It doesn't help that we take any call made to dispatch and send a deputy to it. They are called "quality of life" calls for service. You've maybe heard of them. Barking dogs, loud cars, 4x4's making too much noise, etc. Our manpower is distributed poorly and that doesn't help matters. We run from call to call, for almost the entire shift. And in case someone later says something, we run call to call on the EAST and WEST side of the county. I will say though, the west side deputies have it worse than the east - their problems start in their immediate supervision.

As for our leader (and I can only speak for myself here): The Sheriff is a good man. I believe that. I just think he's lost sight of what's good for the whole. That's sad, because like I said, he is a good man. We could be in line for a whole lot worse. I don't know him that well. I've only met him a handful of times since he's been here. But, since you form an opinion of someone in the first 15 seconds you meet them, I have to stand by my statement that he is a good man.

We have a union here. It's the FOP. I'm a member. I support it. I do not think it will survive if the regime stays in place. From what I can determine, the Sheriff is doing just enough to make the union look like a bunch of whiners. And, when the ill informed troops see this, they unjustly believe the union is a bust. I may be wrong, but I think a union needs members. Strength in numbers? It's not looking good. The union is only really asking for a few things. 1) GAP insurance. 2) The right to have discipline reviewed by an arbitrator. 3) The use of agency mailboxes to distribute materials.

We can't get the Sheriff to agree to these things. That is the plain and simple truth. That is why you see the union picketing. That is why he has lost our vote and confidence. Nothing more, nothing less.

Aside from all that, why would you come to Florida? As much as the posters here would like to bash the agency, I'd like to bash Florida. Have you forgotten humidity and love bugs? Wait, I almost forgot. You got the Georgia Bulldogs and we've got the Gators! Now I see why you want to move back!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

07-03-2007, 10:54 PM

False! Check last years rosters county wide and check them now! Just because the AGENCY has more certified positions does not mean they are in law enforcing roles. Many positions have went elsewhere while patrol has suffered. While you are at it, check the number bw bashed cannon about back in 1999 during his campaign of "truth." In 8 years, patrol has grown by about 8-10 total deputies. You can not count slots that were once patrol and then moved elsewhere. He still counts them because they drive a marked unit, but that is wrong since they do not handle calls on a daily basis. He also took patrol slots and created a new unfunded sgt and unfunded cpl position which also took from patrol. But, he can do what he wishes for his supporters. This is FACT because I have the st pete times artical with his quotes and I have the old rosters.

You don’t consider STOP law enforcing roles? They might argue that fact. Also, the new deputies that were added this year (about 12+ Patrol Deputies) have not been assigned to permanent slots because they have not been trained. If you actually work here, even if you are a fairly new deputy, you should know that.

You are correct. His politics are very bad and the sleeping giant has been awaken. The gini is out of the bottle. Pandora's box is open. You just can not tell enough lies to reverse things when that happens. A body must fight dirty rotten liars with the same zeal while telling truths. Keep reading, I will expose one of your fuzzy "truths" in a minute.

LIE! You like to post articles, but mislead the reader. I was at the final 2006 budget meeting and they gave us 45 positions the sheriff could do what he wanted with [size=18]NOT 50 SOMETHING LIKE YOU CLAIM YOU LIAR! http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/20/Pasco ... y_ba.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/20/Pasco/Sheriff_s_strategy_ba.shtml) <<< Check the report! Instead of immediately setting out to hire qualified candidates, he held off and is now hiring some rookies who will not be effective until after the 2008 budget. What happened with the money. Also, not all 45 positions are for deputies. (Including detention deputies who are as bad off as the road). He hired civilians with some of that 45. ALSO, the 2008 budget request had the sheriff claim 39 of the positions were added to this years after being cut from last years. 45 plus 39 only comes out to 84. 18 shy from what was really cut from last year. Suddenly the 18 needed last year are no longer needed? Or is he trying to play with the county commission like they wont notice the difference and cut less. At least the next sheriff will be able to do simple arithmetic.

Here is a link to the 2006-2007 approved county budget (the above budget meeting was apparently not the last one before the budget was passed).

http://www.pascocountyfl.net/omb/budget/bget/fy0607.pdf

Take a look at page 14. It should show the approved positions for 2005/2006 (1028). It will also show the approved positions for 2006/2007 (1087). If we do the simple arithmetic (as you say) 1087 – 1028 = 59. This IS 50 something.

If we take the original 98 that were requested and subtract the 59 that were actually approved, we find that the number cut from last year’s budget is 39.

Calling someone a liar is pretty serious, especially if you are wrong. Just because you are emotional, doesn't mean that you have to be unprofessional.

07-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Under the Radar,

Thank you for your response. To answer your question about why I would want to move back to Florida. I grew up around the area, and that is where all my family is. I couldn't afford to sponsor myself through the academy in Florida, so I came to GA to work and see how I liked it. If I decided to move back to Florida, I could take EOT. I noticed that Florida is all about money, it's sad because there are people out there who have potential to be a good officer, but can't afford to go through an academy.

I can sympathize with you about answering the barking dog calls. My agency is about 10 miles south of Atlanta and when we are running from one call to the next, it gets frustrating to get dispatched to a call just to explain that it's not a police problem.

I'm sure that all departments have issues with the administration. The problem with that, administrations are always changing. Just because an agency don't have issues now, don't mean it wont later and vice versa.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Have a safe 4th of July.

07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Take a look at page 14. It should show the approved positions for 2005/2006 (1028). It will also show the approved positions for 2006/2007 (1087). If we do the simple arithmetic (as you say) 1087 – 1028 = 59. This IS 50 something.

If we take the original 98 that were requested and subtract the 59 that were actually approved, we find that the number cut from last year’s budget is 39.

Calling someone a liar is pretty serious, especially if you are wrong. Just because you are emotional, doesn't mean that you have to be unprofessional.[/size][/color]

Unprofessional is when one speaks in the sheriff's native tounge, soliloquy. Look it up, we will wait.

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and conceed you just didnt understand the guest's post of our staffing shortage and assumed he meant ALL areas and not just the ones who respond to dangerous situations. Otherwise, I would have to believe you understood the comment and deflected it into the poster being truly concerned with the fact we needed those crossing guards, clerks, IT Tech and a mechanic. I know I will sleep well tonight knowing the sheriff filled those slots before putting more cops on the street! If your math is correct, the next time people speak of teacher shortages, we should count all the cafeteria workers and janitors and tell the county they are wrong. After all, the total number of employees are all essential positions.

OK, I guess you are considering the addition of
4 Bailiff positions,
1 Booking Clerk position,
5 Communication Officer II positions,
1 Control Room Operator position,
19 Deputy Patrol positions,
4 Detective positions,
4 Detention Deputy positions,
1 Detention Records Clerk position,
1 IT Technician position,
1 Mechanic I position,
5 School Crossing Guard positions,
2 School Resource Officer positions,
3 Traffic Control Officer positions
as the 50 something in response to the original comments about the administration allowing the agency to become precariously understaffed. My mistake. You were including ALL positions in your tally. That being the case, you did not lie and I was wrong. But to get back to the original comment, We are understaffed because not all those positions in red that were granted in 2007 have been filled. I think we can agree those red slots should have been filled before those blue ones were since after all, the blue ones would not leave us precariously understaffed in a safety standpoint. I mean what is the worst that can happen with an understaffed IT technician slot. Another works overtime and develops carpel tunnel? If those 19 don't get filled PEOPLE MAY DIE. Isnt that what is important?

07-05-2007, 03:13 AM
Have you seen the ball since the kick off?? Any business has to have people who work behind the scenes. For us to function on the road, we need communication officers, warrants clerks, evidence clerks, booking staff, jail staff, complaint writers, crime scene tech. etc. You laugh at IT, if it wasn't for them, our computers wouldn't work or how about the people in fiscal, should we not fill their slots? You are right, anyone can work OT and IT does, so does the rest of the agency. We all have to do it to make ends meet. I see everyday that we are running from call to call, but 10 years ago, our population was lower and so was our staffing levels. Guess what???? We still went from call to call. We are all paid to answer these calls, what do you want?? Do you want to come to work and not answer any calls? The reality is no one will pay us for doing nothing. I have had my isues with people in this agency, but you know what? It's alot better then it was in the past, with the other administrations.

richard simmons
07-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Old Timer.... I must agree with you when it comes to you getting paid to run from call to call. Where i disagree with you is that times have changed, People have changed, and the criminals have changed. With more population....You get much more dangerous criminals. Now i have heard your sheriff say that you guys have NO gang problem, now what do you call the crypts,bloods,MS-13,Neo-Nazi's, the list can go forever. Here in Pinellas we push them into holiday to get them out of our county. ON MULTIPLE occassions when talking with gang bangers on the street they say they are just passing through to Pasco cause they dont get (F*&KED) with there. If you had the man power to control this problem you could push them out as well. You have lost many men to my agency for the fact that they are getting paid crap to run from call to call with absolutely no back-up. That poses a threat to every individual on patrol.....does it not? The Gangs in Pasco are unbelievable, i know because i live there to avoid paying Pinellas taxes (although im moving). One of the men we had gotten from Pasco was a veteran officer so he knows the job. Im sorry to say but i feel Pasco needs to get a Sheriff in thats not going to be a politician but a cop. Alcohol,Tobacco,and beverage is not real law enforcement work! Its like saying the NFL and Semi-pro football are the same. Its about time you guys got a cops cop as a sheriff.