PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about

06-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Please don't turn this into a bashing.

A truly sad turn of events led us to where we are. We can argue until the end of the sheriff's tenure about who started the adversarial attitudes toward whom, but that is as pointless as trying to figure out who came first, the chicken or the egg. With that said, read on.

There once was a candidate for sheriff who had a few simple campaign promises.
1. Take politics out of the sheriff's office.
2. Provide the deputies with the manpower/resources to have a positive effect on crime. (not just write reports and go to the next call to write another report - actually solve crimes)
3. Realign the command in the agency so there is less space between the top and bottom.
4. When "I" issue a direction "I" will be in the intended audience to ensure the message is delivered with the same intention in which it was initated.

Now the candidate for sheriff did have a few others, but these were what most employees keyed in on and I particularly liked about the candidate. Somehow his camp got my phone number and called so I attended a meeting before the election, I just went to hear the man speak.

The candidate won me over then won the election. We rejoiced and there was a "Breath of fresh air" in the agency. The deputies suddenly mattered. (All deputies; corrections and LEO) Proactive enforcement was re-instituted and we proved how effective we all could be. Things were good and the experts ran the day to day function of those in their span of control.

Then one afternoon, we became embarrassed. A young woman was arrested for a crime, but the report was written in an all warm and fuzzy tone by a smart alec, lazy deputy who would find himself and his wife unemployed years later for serious felonies. Out of this event grew a policy driven by POLITICS. Understandably, we shouldn't do things that make us all look bad. The simpler solution would have been to remediate the INDIVIDUAL and manage him so no one else would write warm and fuzzy bunny napping reports if someone ever forcibly entered a neighbors house and stole another little child's pet rabbit and cause her life to be in a temproary state of distress. If the report was written right, it wouldn't have ended up in the national news.

Next, a tragedy happened and an exparte wasn't served on a chronic runaway teen who was in need of help. Our own policy wasn't followed that day as it had been not followed before, but not on a wholesale level. But to read what was told to the press, the appearance was the supervision was incompetent and the policy was never followed. In reality, the incident was the exception, not the norm. Another POLITICAL move was done and the policy was tweaked even though the one in place was sufficient and the one/few who frequently ignored it needed to be held accountable. Most of us in the lower bowels of the agency would not have even contested our own being held accountable. Most of us are grown ups and take our medicine if we deserve it and we do learn from our mistakes.

These two events were what started our spinning into a satisfy everyone mode. If a dog barks, initiate a call because animal control doesn't correct it and we "look" better than them if we show up - even if we can't do anything, the public seeing us there makes us look good? UNBELIEVABLE! That is the mentality.

Numerous changes and several budget processes later, we decide to complete the process for trying out the whole union thing. The sheriff gave a power point/mandatory talk to us and convinced enough of us to think a stranger would come in and negotiate with the county and that John Gallagher hated unions and we would loose what we already had. Well, we bought it and voted to wait. The waiting got us %1. NOTHING more.

We also discovered the math didn't add up. We learned we didn't negotiate with the county commission but were to negotiate with the sheriff and John Gallagher wasn't the Devil as portrayed. We were blamed for things out of our control like part one crime stats. Detectives became pitted againts deputies over the issue. This led to us voting on unionizing again. This time, we decided to try it on our own and voted for unionizing.

Well, we then heard of how none of the FOP proposals were acceptable and what we had was all we were going to get. I don't think the county commission, or John Gallagher had any input. The sheriff with a long history of low balliong the county commission suddenly sent a significantly inflated budget. This smelled of politics too since EVERYONE with a heartbeat knew it would be cut into and it was. This would afford the sheriff the ability to claim he asked for basics and couldn't get them so how could any of the labor boards expect to get anything more.

Guess what, they sent in a proposal with very little money items in it. GAP insurance was it and the phase in would have cost the sheriff less than what he pays out for office supplys for the forst couple years.
Several reasons were given for why including how it is against the law to allow us to use mailboxes, John Gallagher refuses to let the sheriff give us GAP insurance when we retire, etc...

Then he comes into a roll call and tells the platoon the real reason, he was going to present it to the county for us, but decided not to after we voted for a union. This was yet another POLITICAL move. He let his personal POLITICS factor into a decision that would not have an effect on his PROFESSIONAL POLITICS. Not only that, it was like the fox and the "Sour grapes." Also, it showed he was either unclear about his own reasons, or has issues with believing we are mature enough to handle hearing the truth.

Also in the same week, he went into the jail and was greeted by several deputies in a training class. One deputy extended his hand to shake the sheriff's and was shunned. The sheriff looked at him and discovered this deputy was wearing a FOP shirt, and walked away. This was COMPLETELY out of character (public character) for the sheriff and is actually unacceptable. I thought he believed we reap what we sow.

The biggest thing our sheriff can do is recognize how POLITICS was let back into the agency and only he can close the door on it. Only he can tell the FSA to stay the hell out of his decision process and he needs to get back to the basics with the deputies. Only he can decide what his next decision will be, but the right one would be with an olive branch and a sincere apology to the one he shunned since after all WE ARE ALL REPRESENTIVE OF THE WHOLE AND THE WHOLE IS REPRESENTIVE OF US INDIVIDUALLY.

If not, I don't know how he/we can survive the turmoil of this next year. Those of us who have been around here know how it all starts during the run for a 3rd term and the two command staff members left over from the past two sheriff's aren't even telling him that it has already started.

Instead of taking your ball and going home, how about picking from a different playbook.

Just my observations and yes I will remain anonymous because I have 15 years left to survive and am not convinced the sheriff will see this as someone who gives a damn about how we look and I don't want to get fired. By the way, I agree with our union boards, but carry out my job first. The sheriff deserves the respect that comes with the office regardless of how he runs it. But, the deputies are the ones who increased the level of the respect he has been enjoying, not the fact that it is Bob White occupying the position. The people who make him feel famous and loved are no doubt the same ones who made Lee Cannon and Jim Gillum fell that way. They are called GROUPIES. We have cop groupies and he has sheriff groupies. The only difference is real estate and age.

06-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Perfectly written (ok, a few typos). Thank you so much for taking the time and reminding us all how we got to where we are, and what needs to happen to change things for the POSITIVE.

Oh yeah...........these are examples, and do not contain a hidden agenda.

Stuff it, Troy, Gail, or Alvin. Why don't you identify YOURSELF when you post here, buttmunch!!!

06-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Oh ya, I forgot. Troy, Maurice, Gail, Brian, the other Brian. I will take the time to post a reply for you since one of you have completely sold your soul to the man and not the office.

I have personally heard the sheriff and one of you say this and I suspect you have said it to others as well. When we read it here, we only think of you as being his little green parrot.

Vague and personal attacks = personal and/or hidden agenda.

There, it was said and you can't say it again on the topic.

:cop:

06-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Providing service does not equate to politics. You are saying that we should not have examined the process and made changes when we had incidents that made the AGENCY look bad? Telling people we refuse to respond to a call THEY believe is important will hurt us all in the long run. That is what happened to the former Sheriff, just look at some of the old letters to the editor. Politics has nothing to do with it. Any organization that cares about public opinion tries to do the same thing. The public really looks up to us. We cannot let that change.

I thought we got 6% and a Cody study over the last couple of years? Few agencies consistently get the raises we have gotten! I would be careful bringing this up. Look what state employees got as raises. Look at the total increases we have gotten over the last 5-10 years. Sure I want more, but I also know that it is not something we should talk about publicly because it may backfire.

Right now is not the time to be publicly asking for any benefits that cost money. Especially a benefit that will increase substantially over time (GAP). More people will be added every year and few people will drop off.

Were you there when he supposedly refused to shake the person’s hand? If not, I would not assume it is true, any more than the Sheriff should assume you did something wrong when a citizen complains and put that complaint on an electronic bulletin board.

The union may negotiate with the Sheriff, but everyone that can help or hurt the agency must be in agreement (including the public). Unfortunately, this IS politics and should be left to the experts.

I have also heard the Sheriff talk about the positive comments he hears from the public. When I heard it, he was using it as an example of how much the public appreciates the service provided by the members of the agency – he was not being arrogant.

I understand your reason for wanting to remain anonymous. I believe I have more to fear from those against the administration than you have to fear from the administration. For this reason I will also remain anonymous. It is funny how the pro-administration posts never try to find out who is posting the threats, personal attacks and unsubstantiated stories, yet the other side works hard to try to find out who is professionally defending the other side. Why is that? So they can intimidate those people? Who is doing the posting is not important. The message, as long as it has no threats, personal attacks or unsubstantiated stories, is important.

A great link that illustrates this point:

http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/itl/graphics/adhom/adhom.html

06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Pro-Administration,

You make points to deflect the fact that the Sheriff and his administration do nothing for which they should be held accountable, unless it is positive. This is the same way the CPT team acts, they want the glory for all of the parades, clean ups, and hand shaking they do, but they do not take responsibility for slacking on calls for service, or doing anything proactive for years. There is at least one CPT deputy who regularly spends hours doing nothing, such as cleaning love bugs off his car at the garage for an hour and a half.....on duty.

You regularly cite web articles that prove your point. Do you read the other articles that invalidate your opinion? Just as the Training Sergeant points to one article from one doctor to vaildate his point that you should do sit ups the way he prescribes, there are twice as many physicians who say you should not do them that way out of fear of neck injury.

Please remember, you have drank the Kool Aid, and you find yourself in a comfy spot.......for now. If you have never been through an election where you were the outsider, hang on to your panties, cause you are in for a surprise. I only hope the next winner sees through all of you who are so quick to go from kissing one butt to the next in order to shmooze your way to comfort.

Write this down, there WILL be a new Sheriff in Pasco COUNTY in 2008.

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

06-24-2007, 03:22 PM
AMEN

06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
[quote="Anonymous"]Providing service does not equate to politics. You are saying that we should not have examined the process and made changes when we had incidents that made the AGENCY look bad?EXACTLY, I am saying that a piece of crap deputy should have never gotten a report by a supervisor that would make us look bad. He had a pattern of writing smart ass things in his reports and one bit us. Hold an individual accountable for screwing off, not the rest. Telling people we refuse to respond to a call THEY believe is important will hurt us all in the long run. That is what happened to the former Sheriff, just look at some of the old letters to the editor. Politics has nothing to do with it. Any organization that cares about public opinion tries to do the same thing. The public really looks up to us. We cannot let that change.
OK, if I were to agree with you then I would find it completely justifiable to forsake those in one area to put a deputy in another to devote that deputy's time to solely that one area. Like having a Trinity, or Wesley Chapel car and pulling it from B3

I thought we got 6% and a Cody study over the last couple of years? Few agencies consistently get the raises we have gotten! I would be careful bringing this up. Look what state employees got as raises. Look at the total increases we have gotten over the last 5-10 years. Sure I want more, but I also know that it is not something we should talk about publicly because it may backfire.
I hear you, but your belief system is all screwed up. Our system of pay is structured from the pay matrix. We get the 5% step increases each year. You were never around long ago when the county proposed it to a sheriff as a way to keep pay fair and balanced since the former one would pay a b!g t!tt!ed secretary more than a deputy just to get into her skirt. Since the steps are 5% variables, we only got 1% the year we shot down a union. As far as the CODY & ASSOCIATES study. That was a scheduled study to keep the agency on pace with other agencies to prevent what is happening now. Exodous from the agency from WORKING and EXPERIENCED cops. The agency already accounts for the minority of units and deputies who will stay in their comfort zone jobs.

Right now is not the time to be publicly asking for any benefits that cost money. Especially a benefit that will increase substantially over time (GAP). More people will be added every year and few people will drop off.
OK, you should probably take up the cause then and show up to a union meeting and tell the boards why GAP insurance coverage is a bad idea. Since you buy into the crap of the county being broke. Plain truth is I heard the sheriff's reason for not providing it and $$$ was not his factor. It was because he was admittedly not happy that we voted for a union. Just like a mad little kid who takes his ball home because he can't win on the ball field. SORRY, BUT THIS IS WHO YOUR HERO TRULY IS THERE ARE TWO SQUADS OF WITNESSES ALSO!

Were you there when he supposedly refused to shake the person’s hand? If not, I would not assume it is true, any more than the Sheriff should assume you did something wrong when a citizen complains and put that complaint on an electronic bulletin board.
Was there. Saw it, and saw the little bald guy threaten the deputy's job. SORRY, BUT THIS IS WHO YOUR HERO TRULY IS. THERE ARE OTHERF WITNESSES ALSO

The union may negotiate with the Sheriff, but everyone that can help or hurt the agency must be in agreement (including the public). Unfortunately, this IS politics and should be left to the experts.
Do you even have a clue how off tract you tried to spin this? EVERYONE does NOT need to be in agreement. Only a majority needs to be for a proposal to be considered. The post is not about politics, but how the sheriff has let POLITICS dictate PERSONAL choices and issues that have little or no affect on the public. I bet if he made the CPT unit a cpl and 3 deputies and you got rolled out to work a zone, you would be upset and see that move as political. I would see it as properly allocating manpower. See how we would see it differently? But that would directly affect the public. That is the difference. You defend him out of your personal beliefs and we think of the effects on the majority of the deputies which affects the public. I know your job affects them, BUT THEY TRULY DON'T NEED A DEPUTY AT EVERY SECURITY PATROL MEETING.

I have also heard the Sheriff talk about the positive comments he hears from the public. When I heard it, he was using it as an example of how much the public appreciates the service provided by the members of the agency – he was not being arrogant.
If I was trying to tout how everyone likes the service members provide, I would say those things too. After all, as sheriff, I would be the ONE PERSON responsible. However, this is a political technique he has used to reel more deputies in to stand with him like a wedge in the water because a wedge can move through the water better than any other shape. Now go to the sheriff's house and let the doctor put the chip in your hand. OH, I REALLY WANT TO SEE THE WEDGE OF UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN THE COMMAND STAFF LEAVES ON 1-1-2009. MAYBE THEY CAN MOVE ALONG IN THAT WEDGE PATTERN.

I understand your reason for wanting to remain anonymous. I believe I have more to fear from those against the administration than you have to fear from the administration. You must not be a working deputy to feel like that. those against the administration's bad and self preserving decisions seem to be pretty much standing in solidarity like a brotherhood. For this reason I will also remain anonymous. It is funny how the pro-administration posts never try to find out who is posting the threats, personal attacks and unsubstantiated stories, yet the other side works hard to try to find out who is professionally defending the other side. Why is that? many pro-admin posts do in fact have the poster's name under them becaue the "posers" hope the sheriff will see it and "pick me, pick me." You are nothing new to L.E. we still have a few who placate and suck up from the gillum era. So they can intimidate those people? Who is doing the posting is not important. The message, as long as it has no threats, personal attacks or unsubstantiated stories, is important.

06-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Sounds like Pro-Admin has met his match. And there were no websites quoted either!

Facts and specific incidents = no personal or hidden agenda.

06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Amen!

:evil: