PDA

View Full Version : IUPA

06-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Right now, there is a golden opportunity to get the PBA thrown out of the sheriffs office. For so many years I have heard the PBA does nothing but side step the issues. Well now we have a golden opportunity to get a new uinon in. I am not saying that they are the best thing since sliced bread but at this point, could they really do worse than the PBA? This B.S of Brickman not even telling us what pay raise he will seek is pathetic. They are convinced that we work for them. Change is good from time to time and we need a change. We need new blood. We need a union for the deputies, run by deputies and elected by deputies. I could care less how many departments are under the Broward PBA. They could get 20 more departments tomorrow and it would not do a single thing for the deputies. We need to break off and form a new union with IUPA while we have the chance. This way, all of our dues go to the deputies and not drug running wanna be mafia cops in Hollywood.

06-18-2007, 02:55 AM
The better thing for everyone to do would be to have our own PBA branch run by deputies. The IUPA idea is no good at all. They have no good sound organization nor do they have enough attorneys for us. Do you know that if you are caught in a situation in which you need a criminal defense attorney that IUPA stops backing you when the situation goes criminal. It gets expensive when it gets to that stage for a deputy. Ask Lee Martin, Shane Campbell, Chris Zapata, and all those guys that have used the PBA's attorneys. The reps that represent us are pretty good from the agency and if we were to just get deputies to run the PBA instead of a retired Hollywood officer it would be better. IUPA is not the answer my friend they are a cancer, ask anyone from FHP and the other 2 or 3 small agencies that they represented.

06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
How can a debate or a discussion over which union is going to represent BSO be a bad thing? You want to represent me? Go ahead and try to convince me why you are better than the other guy. I'll listen to what you all have to say and then I'll vote. I say a PERC election is a good thing. Vote PBA. Vote IUPA. Or don't vote at all. The choice is yours.

06-18-2007, 12:06 PM
How can a debate or a discussion over which union is going to represent BSO be a bad thing? You want to represent me? Go ahead and try to convince me why you are better than the other guy. I'll listen to what you all have to say and then I'll vote. I say a PERC election is a good thing. Vote PBA. Vote IUPA. Or don't vote at all. The choice is yours.

They are all just going to lie to you anyway.

06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Well then, we will have to do what we (as cops) do best:

Listen very carefully...Figure out who is BSing us more...and then cast our vote.

The status quo is not acceptable!

06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
The better thing for everyone to do would be to have our own PBA branch run by deputies. The IUPA idea is no good at all. They have no good sound organization nor do they have enough attorneys for us. Do you know that if you are caught in a situation in which you need a criminal defense attorney that IUPA stops backing you when the situation goes criminal. It gets expensive when it gets to that stage for a deputy. Ask Lee Martin, Shane Campbell, Chris Zapata, and all those guys that have used the PBA's attorneys. The reps that represent us are pretty good from the agency and if we were to just get deputies to run the PBA instead of a retired Hollywood officer it would be better. IUPA is not the answer my friend they are a cancer, ask anyone from FHP and the other 2 or 3 small agencies that they represented.
This statement is a total lie. If you need an attorney for a criminal matter, IUPA will provide legal service. This question has been asked numerous times and even at their meetings. Everytime it is answered with a resounding YES, we will provide you a lawyer for any criminal matter. They will not and nor will the PBA give you an attorney free of charge if you are charged with a crime off duty. As for lawyers, they do have more than one and just like the PBA, if you don't like their lawyers, you can solicit anyone you want to become your lawyer. You are never bound to a list of lawyers through the PBAor IUPA. If F.Lee Bailey wants to defend you and is willing to work at the union rate, your union has to accept that and pay for it. I have asked an FHP trooper what they thought. After hearing how pissed they were about getting a 0% raise from the PBA, they want to go back. Why did Sunrise just leave the Broward County PBA for that matter?

06-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Vaughn1975, A good thought but it could not happen. The way the PBA set up the local charter and constitution, they can be the only union with everyone falling under it. According to the constituion, no other PBA chapter could branch out. This is why people have gone out and sought another union. At least with IUPA, if we started our own chapter, no one else could come under our local. They would have to start their local with their president, vice president........ Iupa has the idea you are looking for.

06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
IUPA, PUPU, POOPOO............ it all amounts to the same thing; you suck big time, don't let anyone be fooled by your pathetic attempt for a rally round the flag to go to your organization. At least Sunrise PD had the sense to cut ties from the PBA and go to the FOP who negotiated a very nice pay raise for the members. I'm not associated with the FOP, I do know it is time for a change but the IUPA is "NOT" the way to go for BSO.

06-18-2007, 08:51 PM
There must be some kind of rally around the flag if enough people signed the PERC cards to get an election since March 22nd. If IUPA is so bad and you too dislike the PBA, why haven't you taken the step forward and try to get another union in? Everyone can complain but it takes someone to make a change!

06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
my experience has been that the PBA reps at the district level, are never there to do anything. or atleast that's what J. Demato did... nothing.

06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
So you still think there has been no rally around the flag pole? Do you think the PBA is not scared? How about this. The PBA is so scared and pathetic that they have convinced the sheriffs office to send out an email today from the office of the majors. It directs all districts to stop delivering unsolicited leters from IUPA or any other orginizations. It also says that no personal mail shall be delivered either. If general mail from IUPA is delivered, it should be placed into a basket at the front desk (to be purchased by the district) and deputies are then welcome to look through this basket if they wish. Folks, if you think the PBA is not in bed with the sheriffs office then here is proof positive. If the sheriffs office has cut this deal, then what do you really think the PBA will give you for a raise.

02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
:P

02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
When can we hold another PERC?