PDA

View Full Version : Adhere...Father Ed Bieluch Speaks!

06-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Former Palm Beach County sheriff irked by current sheriff's budget remarks

By Leon Fooksman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 13 2007

Former Palm Beach County Sheriff Ed Bieluch accused current Sheriff Ric Bradshaw of making "inappropriate and untruthful" remarks when his successor told county commissioners that he inherited a "train wreck" from the previous administration.

Bradshaw's statements came during Monday's presentation of his proposed $425 million budget for the next fiscal year, which calls for trimming patrols and pulling some deputies out of schools and troubled communities to reduce spending. He said he might have to lay off 125 deputies in the 3,812-employee agency if asked to cut about $15 million from his budget to meet a scaled-down county budget. The county allocated to the Sheriff's Office $384 million for the next fiscal year.

LocalLinks

"It is indeed unfortunate that when called upon to find more efficient ways to operate, and to work together with the rest of county government to trim expenses in these times of predictable major budgetary cuts, the sheriff would choose to take the political route in attempting to blame his current mess on someone other than himself," Bieluch said in a letter to commissioners written shortly after he heard Bradshaw's comments.

Bieluch defended his administration in the letter, saying his leadership was "fiscally sound, very responsible and well run." He said Bradshaw promoted two administrators in the budget office when he took over in 2005, an indication that Bradshaw was confident in their abilities. Bieluch offered to attend the next commission budget workshop or other meetings involving the Sheriff's Office to answer questions.

Asked if Bieluch would be welcome to speak to commissioners, Commission Chairwoman Addie Greene said he can address them as any private citizen.

Bieluch could not be reached for comment Tuesday despite several calls.

He endorsed Bradshaw's run for sheriff in 2004 after he exited the race for undisclosed health problems and stress while under mounting criticism over his leadership and spending.

Bradshaw said his comments Monday were not aimed at Bieluch personally, but instead at the leadership under him. He said the Bieluch administration was constantly at odds with commissioners over the purchasing of high-priced equipment. He said the previous administration became top-heavy after scores of commanders were promoted.

He added that previous top managers failed to consistently replace aging cars and now the agency is forced to reduce the time deputies spend in their cars cruising neighborhoods, checking shopping centers and doing traffic enforcement.

"If he did such a great job, he'd still be in there," Bradshaw said.

Leon Fooksman can be reached at lfooksman@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6647.

06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Boy do I miss him!!!

06-13-2007, 08:31 PM

This guy is about as arrogant as Neumann...Hey Ric: You TOO can be replaced!

06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
For the last that posted. If you think that father was a good sheriff, then you obviously have no idea. Ric won't be replaced. This is the first time this place is actually a law enforcment agency.

06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
For the one that posted that Bradshaw is as arrogant as Neumann and can be replaced.........You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You should appreciate a sheriff that can serve it straight up and back the men and women in this organization the way he does. If we had Bradshaw in here two terms ago, we wouldn't be in the mess that were in now. Neumann's term wasn't good for us and Bieluch's was nothing less. I think that he (sheriff) was being kind and considerate when he said that he inherited a "train wreck."

This sheriff is a true leader who can walk the walk and talk the talk. With what he is doing for us and this organization, he has earned the right to talk the game he wants to talk. We are very fortunate to have him, and to have him for another term, would provide the stability that this organization so desperately needs.

06-14-2007, 12:35 AM
With that said...the previous poster will be rewarded a Captain's position. You got to love it. Only in Palm Beach. :D

06-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Ed is great. he got us really cool coins!

06-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Have any of you read the comments on the Sun-Sentinel website about this article? A majority of them are not pro-PBSO or pro-Bradshaw when it comes to this topic. They believe Bradshaw should break the union contract, our benefits should be cut and we shouldn't have take home vehicles among other things.

I am extremely happy with Bradshaw as our sheriff, but it's probably a good thing that most of those people who posted don't vote. Just because a majority of us think that Bradshaw is the greatest thing going doesn't mean he's going to automatically be re-elected. It's fortunate for us that no one qualified has thrown his hat in the ring to run for sheriff. Issues like this could easily unseat someone in office if the general public is peeved enough.

It's like anything else, we in law enforcement know what the real deal is, but the majority of the public doesn't.

06-14-2007, 03:30 AM
I agree that there are no guarantees in being re-elected. You say that it's fortunate (for us) that nobody qualified has thrown their hat in the ring?? I say this......first, it's not that easy to unseat an incumbent. Second, this sheriff inherited an organization that had been going "in reverse" at a high rate of speed. Third, this sheriff has a good relationship with the County Commission and it's imperative that he be candid about what he is trying to straighten out. I don't know that he could handle it much differently and yet still remain effective.

Beiluch should do us all a favor and walk away quietly. He's requesting an apology for this sheriff's remarks?!? Where is his apology for completely mismanaging this agency, fiscally and otherwise. He is criticizing this sheriff for making critical remarks?!? What about all of the remarks that he made about then former sheriff Neumann?? You can't expect him to be able to objectively (or constructively) defend himself, can you? He does a masterful job at both. He and KE (Mr. "New Day and a Better Way") were two peas in a pod.

Have any doubts about what is being stated here? Don't take my word. Do your homework and you'll see for yourself.

06-14-2007, 03:51 AM
In response to the last two messages........When was the last time we had a sheriff be un-elected in this county because of something that they did was unpopular or not right? Answer: Its never happened.

The only incumbent not relected, during our time in LE, was Neumann. He did not lose his position in office because of all of the internal turmoil, although that did not help his cause. Go back and research the election results for the 2000 election. You will find that ALL but maybe one or two of the Republicans lost their elections locally. We are a democratic county and the voters were just loyal to the party lines. There was no reason for them to deviate, and that includes a sheriff's race. The results were highly consistent across all local races. Republicans got their clocks cleaned, it's just that simple. If Neumann were a democrat, we probably would have been stuck with him for another term.

06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
In response to the last two messages........When was the last time we had a sheriff be un-elected in this county because of something that they did was unpopular or not right? Answer: Its never happened.

The only incumbent not relected, during our time in LE, was Neumann. He did not lose his position in office because of all of the internal turmoil, although that did not help his cause. Go back and research the election results for the 2000 election. You will find that ALL but maybe one or two of the Republicans lost their elections locally. We are a democratic county and the voters were just loyal to the party lines. There was no reason for them to deviate, and that includes a sheriff's race. The results were highly consistent across all local races. Republicans got their clocks cleaned, it's just that simple. If Neumann were a democrat, we probably would have been stuck with him for another term.
If it's so Democrat, How did Neumann get elected in the first place? He lost cause of the Morale of the Deputies. Deputies make or break you.

06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
He got elected because he was able to capture support from both parties. There was nobody that could give him a good run for his money. And, finally, people were snowed in because of his FBI experience, which really meant nothing in terms of being a CEO here.

If you think he was ousted because "we can make or break" a sheriff's future in office you are completely out to lunch. That's nothing more than a self-fulfilling perspective on an outcome that you are giving too much weight to. There's no doubt that the sheriff's internal customers (employees) can help and/or hurt, but trust me, it didn't make that much of a difference in 2000 with Neumann.

06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
For the one that posted that Bradshaw is as arrogant as Neumann and can be replaced.........You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You should appreciate a sheriff that can serve it straight up and back the men and women in this organization the way he does. If we had Bradshaw in here two terms ago, we wouldn't be in the mess that were in now. Neumann's term wasn't good for us and Bieluch's was nothing less I think that he (sheriff) was being kind and considerate when he said that he inherited a "train wreck."

This sheriff is a true leader who can walk the walk and talk the talk. With what he is doing for us and this organization, he has earned the right to talk the game he wants to talk. We are very fortunate to have him, and to have him for another term, would provide the stability that this organization so desperately needs.

I guess IA does post comments!

06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
[quote="Night Stalker":3m1iu82h]For the one that posted that Bradshaw is as arrogant as Neumann and can be replaced.........You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You should appreciate a sheriff that can serve it straight up and back the men and women in this organization the way he does. If we had Bradshaw in here two terms ago, we wouldn't be in the mess that were in now. Neumann's term wasn't good for us and Bieluch's was nothing less I think that he (sheriff) was being kind and considerate when he said that he inherited a "train wreck."

I support Bradshaw. Maybe IA should investigate the Deputies who don't!!

I guess IA does post comments![/quote:3m1iu82h]

06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree that there are no guarantees in being re-elected. You say that it's fortunate (for us) that nobody qualified has thrown their hat in the ring?? I say this......first, it's not that easy to unseat an incumbent. Second, this sheriff inherited an organization that had been going "in reverse" at a high rate of speed. Third, this sheriff has a good relationship with the County Commission and it's imperative that he be candid about what he is trying to straighten out. I don't know that he could handle it much differently and yet still remain effective.

Beiluch should do us all a favor and walk away quietly. He's requesting an apology for this sheriff's remarks?!? Where is his apology for completely mismanaging this agency, fiscally and otherwise. He is criticizing this sheriff for making critical remarks?!? What about all of the remarks that he made about then former sheriff Neumann?? You can't expect him to be able to objectively (or constructively) defend himself, can you? He does a masterful job at both. He and KE (Mr. "New Day and a Better Way") were two peas in a pod. Have any doubts about what is being stated here? Don't take my word. Do your homework and you'll see for yourself.

06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Remember folks it was Fr. Bieluch who gave Bradshaw his blessings when he was running for Sheriff. His endorsement was sorta vital. To have Bradshaw say the words that were quoted by the Sun-Sentinel was really an insult. I would have never expected that from him.

Now just WHAT IF Fr. Bieluch threw his hat back in the ring...I bet he'd give Bradshaw a run for his money...At this point, even McCutcheon can probably top Bradshaw...

06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Remember folks it was Fr. Bieluch who gave Bradshaw his blessings when he was running for Sheriff. His endorsement was sorta vital. To have Bradshaw say the words that were quoted by the Sun-Sentinel was really an insult. I would have never expected that from him.

Now just WHAT IF Fr. Bieluch threw his hat back in the ring...I bet he'd give Bradshaw a run for his money...At this point, even McCutcheon can probably top Bradshaw...

No one is going to top Bradshaw. Bradshaw did inherit a train wreck beginning from Newuman. ED didn't do anything to fix it.

06-16-2007, 01:07 AM

No one is going to top Bradshaw. Bradshaw did inherit a train wreck beginning from Newuman. ED didn't do anything to fix it.

What Sheriff Bradshaw said was nothing more than the TRUTH!!! In many areas Sheriff inherited a 2 train head on collision mess. HOW is what was said 'an insult'? If the Truth hurts... too bad for Fr Bieluch, maybe he should have thought about what he was doing, and with who he gave so much power to. WHAT did Bieluch do for the agency? Did he bring us up to where we should have been as the main law enforcement agency of the county? In any respect or fashion? Were we not the brunt of many a joke, an agency stuck in the past and NOT moving into the future? Smaller city dept's were more advanced than we were and are now trying to catch up. This was left to Sheriff Bradshaw to repair, fix and make good. From Neumann to Bieluch we have been looking like an agency of Mayberry. Bradshaw has moral up, way up...technology on the way that is very cool and will make the job better. He is not just promoting people like the last 2 did. He doesn't have to blow smoke and pretend. He is more honest and straightforward than the last. Bradshaw has made this agency a place to be proud to work at and for!! Or have you conveniently forgotten how bad everything was.

06-16-2007, 02:51 PM
strange....other than the PBA contract...

I STILL use the same Offense report, dictation sysem, oh and there is a shortage of patrol cars...oh and district one goes 10-8 with 11 d/s...min. staffing requirements? Just lower them...

Old boss...same as the new boss....

06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
It's apparently easier (or more natural) for you to look for the problems or negativity, as opposed to the positive things that are happening within this organization.

Can you honestly say that the new boss is the same as the old boss, with a straight face? How come most of the people in this organization can see the difference in morale, professionalism, working conditions, leadership, competence, relationship with union, relationship with commissioners, agency reputation in the community, reputation & relationship with media, salary structure? The list goes on and on. Other agencies are looking to come on board with us now. The last administration couldn't beg people to come on with us. It was so bad they were trying to acquire other agencies through "forced takeovers" because they didn't have what it took to do it the right way.

PLEASE.........Wake up folks. What other LE agency would you rather work for in PBC? If you can think of one, and you truly believe that it's better and has more to offer, PLEASE do us all a favor and go. I've been here in PBC all of my life, and been in this job more than a quarter century. This is the place to be!

06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Father Ed never spoke when he was Sheriff. Now he wants to gather some guts and speak out. Where is E? That is the only one in that administration that ever spoke out. He spoke for Father Ed in most of the debates. Father Ed was no where to be found. Anyhow, Father Ed was an absentee Sheriff. He allowed the people under his commmand to rule. They messed up royally and now Sheriff Bradshaw is still digging out from that mess. Father Ed finally got some guts. Good for him , but it is too late. He needs to man up and realize he messed up this agency even further then King Bob. Sheriff Bradshaw will pull us out of this mess. He has done a great job so far.

06-17-2007, 04:59 AM

GOOD JOB , YOU ARE RITE , BRADSHAW IS NOTHING BUT A POLITICAL TALKING HEAD , GIVING THE TROOPS A BONE , GOODIES , SO THEY THING THINGS ARE GOOD . HE CARES LESS ABOUT THE TROOPS , HIDES IN THE SHADOWS , ONLY COMMING OUT WHEN THINGS LOOK GOOD, WAKE UP , AND TAKE A CLOSER LOOK .

06-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Night Stalker:

Nice speech but when a person has a different opinion from yours please don't nullify it by saying its "negative speech". Welcome to America.

There are a simple few things road patrol needs to perform its tasks..

back up (numbers)
patrol vehicles
computers
training

Cities have come over because of political REASONS. Anyone from Pahokee, Belle Glade or Royal Palm knows these reasons. Local politics made these takeovers happen.

I will think of you as I hand write my PCs on the trunk of my car again.....

and my monthly, TAMS, log entries.....

I actually agree with you as PBSO is by far the best LE agency in this county, but there are few things that need to be fixed asap.

Give me back my old decals and my ALL blue emergency lights and buy me a computer!!

:)

06-17-2007, 06:28 AM
The poster above couldn't of said it any better. That my friends is the definition of a politician. I say again...Fr. Bieluch did the best he could in his time.

06-17-2007, 02:50 PM

GOOD JOB , YOU ARE RITE , BRADSHAW IS NOTHING BUT A POLITICAL TALKING HEAD , GIVING THE TROOPS A BONE , GOODIES , SO THEY THING THINGS ARE GOOD . HE CARES LESS ABOUT THE TROOPS , HIDES IN THE SHADOWS , ONLY COMMING OUT WHEN THINGS LOOK GOOD, WAKE UP , AND TAKE A CLOSER LOOK .

You're the only one who comes on here using a different screen name and using all CAPS. Go back where came from. Bradshaw is great!

06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
IT IS CLEAR THAT THIS BAD TALK IS PITTING MARMOSET AGAINST MONKEY AND TONGA NO LIKE UPHEAVAL IN JUNGLE.
SO, PLEASE, MY PEEPO, NO ATTACK EACH UDDAH OVAH DISS TINGS.
SHERIFF BRADSHAW IS DOING THE BEST HE CAN WITH THE COCONUTS AND ROPE BRIDGES HE GOT. WHY CAN'T PEEPO JUST DO JOB AND LEAVE BAD TALK INSIDE CAVE OF UNSPOKEN WORDS ?
TREAT PUBLIC FAIR
ACT PWOFESSIONAL
ARREST AS NEEDED
GET PAID
GO HOME
STOP LOOKING FOR DIAMONDS IN SILVER MINE I SAY
THIS IS COP VILLAGE, NOT UTOPIA.
TONGA HAS SPOKEN

06-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Bieluch He was an absentee Sheriff, riding around doing traffic enforcement. Nothing was accomplished in his 4 years.

Bradshaw is the best Sheriff we have had in a very long time. He has taken great strides to finally make this agency world class. Those that do not see this need to go elsewhere. You won't be missed.

06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Bieluch He was an absentee Sheriff, riding around doing traffic enforcement. Nothing was accomplished in his 4 years.

Bradshaw is the best Sheriff we have had in a very long time. He has taken great strides to finally make this agency world class. Those that do not see this need to go elsewhere. You won't be missed.

Very well said. I agree

06-19-2007, 12:10 AM
two legs bad...four legs good...

06-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Bieluch. He was an absentee Sheriff, riding around doing traffic enforcement. Nothing was accomplished in his 4 years.

Very well said. I agree

AMEN!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Is it true he was the bottom out of D.C. the old PIO?

06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Let's play nice in the sandbox gentleman.

06-24-2007, 07:54 AM

If you really think this You should recognize what an outstanding boss we have and pray we have him here for a longtime, or maybe you should quit and go somewhere else.

06-24-2007, 07:56 AM

espescially giving the county back however many million dollars from the budget, GREAT JOB ED

06-24-2007, 09:56 PM

espescially giving the county back however many million dollars from the budget, GREAT JOB ED
BIELUCH FOR SHERIFF!!!

06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Yea........Let's get Father Ed back in here so we can have four more years of "backwards leadership!" Look how long it's taking us to get back on track, where we should be. And, that's with an effective leader! For many of you that haven't been around that long, you just can't have a full appreciation for what is happening right now, with our leadership at the top, union, I.A., etc.

06-24-2007, 10:40 PM

BIELUCH FOR SHERIFF!!!

Bieluch for Sheriff?

06-25-2007, 04:48 AM
where do I sign up for the petition?

06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
where do I sign up for the petition?

Please quit and go work elsewhere. If don't realize how good we have it here, then go work for another department. From what I hear, FHP is hiring

06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Yea........Let's get Father Ed back in here so we can have four more years of "backwards leadership!" Look how long it's taking us to get back on track, where we should be. And, that's with an effective leader! For many of you that haven't been around that long, you just can't have a full appreciation for what is happening right now, with our leadership at the top, union, I.A., etc.

No because they always want more. Bradshaw has done more in 2 years then ED did his whole four years here. Everyone I've talked to is pleased with him and now you have these Deputies who want Bieluch back? I think I would vote for O'Hara before Ed. We have to look at the past and realize Pat post on a lot of these forums to get people going.

06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
LEE SANDS FOR SHERIFF

06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
I heard a rumor i hope isnt true.....Supposedly, Ed was seen in a restaurant eating with Pat Ohara......SAY IT AINT SO ED ! ! !

06-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I heard a rumor i hope isnt true.....Supposedly, Ed was seen in a restaurant eating with Pat Ohara......SAY IT AINT SO ED ! ! !

That's what you get for believing everything you hear. It's bogus.